Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Codependent Poster posted:

Because nobody but a few people liked the idea of the Crucible

Meta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I've only just caught up on AXE but I don't recall anyone really suggesting that anything that's happened has improved the queue and workload. I do remember several moments of them navigating the limitations and noting how much more there is to do, though.

But anyway you asked how it could replace the Crucible and it's pretty plainly there in the text. Replacing doesn't mean "solves every single problem and makes it perfect, forever." The selection process is still arbitrary and the people who get picked are realistically there for a story. The millions in queue are just a piece of background fluff until someone decides the Five have gotten to them all.
It literally doesn't replace the Crucible, unless you mean that it's just an alternate, painless way for mutants to euthanize themselves. In every other way it simply just worsens the problem that the Crucible was intended to deter! The "background fluff" of the million dead Genoshans in queue are the exact specific issue that was brought up, textually, in-story that led to the Council enacting Crucible, and now they just act like it's not an issue anymore, thanks to the Waiting Room, despite that nothing in any story has alleviated that issue. Like, I'm not looking for issues to complain about, here. The books themselves depicted a problem, never solved it, and are now acting like a solution that doesn't solve anything actually solved everything. The concept has not been handled well.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I really don't think they've presented the Waiting Room as a solution to the backlog since they make it a point to discuss the resurrection queue fairly frequently. It's a solution to the "they died before we thought of this plan and could back them up" problem.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Right, as I said the WR is still an overall good thing because it brings back mutants who hadn't been scanned. But it being presented as an alternative to Crucible made no sense at the time and still doesn't. If you're a mutant still depowered by M-day, like...what do you even do, now? Just join the euthanasia queue and hope they get to you in however many years? And that's also after the dozen X-Men teams who are also dying every day anyway, holding up the line, and now the sick human children Jean picks out to also take up 5% of the Five's time.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

BrianWilly posted:

It literally doesn't replace the Crucible, unless you mean that it's just an alternate, painless way for mutants to euthanize themselves.

Yeah, and Crucible is a painful public spectacle for people to kill themselves. It replaces that.

I also don't know where you're seeing that it's phrased that the Waiting Room fixed the queue problems. Do you have a quote from an issue?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Yeah, and Crucible is a painful public spectacle for people to kill themselves. It replaces that.
The Crucible places you in front of the queue. The WR doesn't. So it's virtually pointless as a replacement for the Crucible, if not outright counterproductive.

I don't know how to make this any clearer. You can't "replace" something if you're doing the opposite of what it's supposed to do. Right now a depowered mutant's options are to go through the brutal spectable of the Crucible, or else walk through the Waiting Room to wait their turn along with the millions still dead and waiting, and trying to cut down on the millions still dead and waiting was the point of the Crucible in the first place.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I also don't know where you're seeing that it's phrased that the Waiting Room fixed the queue problems. Do you have a quote from an issue?
My whole point is that the WR doesn't fix the queue problem, so how is it that they don't do the Crucible any more? That doesn't make sense.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They really should add Tempo to the Five. :v

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Wasn’t she listed as a backup?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Now that I think about it, kinda weird that they have Tempo and Tempus and they're both X-women with...roughly the same powers?

If I had to no-prize an explanation for why they can't just use time powers to speed up the rez process, it might be that they're already using timey-wimey powers to age the husks to the right age, along with Proteus' reality-warping, so using even more timey-wimey stuff in the process runs the risk of effing that up in unpredictable ways. As Egg once said, the eggs are very delicate :unsmith: Just my speculation though. Pay me, Marvel.

Speaking of timey-wimey stuff, poor Anole has to be caught in a time-loop or something 'cuz I'm certain he'd already graduated, and yet here he is still taking classes in New Mutants. I think at one point Elixir actually refers to the Lost Club as "kiddos" and it's like...dude. Victor was in your same class. :xd:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Synthbuttrange posted:

Maybe Tempo does not really like them.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

BrianWilly posted:

Now that I think about it, kinda weird that they have Tempo and Tempus and they're both X-women with...roughly the same powers?

If I had to no-prize an explanation for why they can't just use time powers to speed up the rez process, it might be that they're already using timey-wimey powers to age the husks to the right age, along with Proteus' reality-warping, so using even more timey-wimey stuff in the process runs the risk of effing that up in unpredictable ways. As Egg once said, the eggs are very delicate :unsmith: Just my speculation though. Pay me, Marvel.

Speaking of timey-wimey stuff, poor Anole has to be caught in a time-loop or something 'cuz I'm certain he'd already graduated, and yet here he is still taking classes in New Mutants. I think at one point Elixir actually refers to the Lost Club as "kiddos" and it's like...dude. Victor was in your same class. :xd:

A lot of adults take creative writing classes, for example, in that exact scene, Karma's girlfriend Galura. I think a good like 20-30% of students I get in creative writing classes are people who work at the university and want to take a fun-sounding class since they can enroll for cheap or free.

I also have to imagine Krakoan pedagogy is more progressive than human pedagogy so perhaps this class was like one of the many creative workshops in the world that exist outside of traditional academic institutions and which people just take for kicks or for their own enrichment. Why was Anole whining if this was the case? Because Anole likes to whine.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

J̸͙̦̯͚̭̙̋̾̊̍̑͒́̉Ǘ̴͙͖̥̭̲̠͐̽͑͌̽̏̅̈́̋͋͒̃̌̕͝S̷͕̑̒̂̉̈́T̸̢̼̗̮̫̖̭͇͓̝̔̓͆̎͆̀͒̈́ͅḮ̴̡͔͍̦͖͙̪̪͖̙͙̼͎͙̐̐́͝Ç̶̛̘̻̪͚̻͕͎̫̰̾̂͂̂̽̌́̇́̄̚Ē̷̼̗̦̯͙͇̮̥͚̾͐̓͋̚͠ ̶͔̭̘̳̹͖̱̑F̴̛͙̖͌̌̀͊̊͊͐̈́͆͌͋̓Ǫ̴̢̛̪̖̻̘̠̗̝̠̼̍̀̎͛̿ͅͅR̴̻̹̭̈̒̄̍͛̈́̾̃̈́̒ ̷̛͕̰̬͋̓Ä̴̱̬̝͈̞͓͍̮̺̤̣̦̱̪́̀̉̈́̄͐̉͝N̵̡̢͔̠͍̯̠̫̞̳͈͖͔͗̀̀̅́̽̓̏͂͊̀̃̈́̚̚͝͝͝ͅƠ̷̝̙̝̮̜̲̈́̑̈̐̂̈̉̇̆̃̽͆̅̈́͜͝͝L̴̨̜͎͎̹͈̳̯͇͓͒̈́́̓́Ē̶͖̥̤̗̞͙̝͐̃͆͆̓̾

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

At this point, poor Anole's whole deal is getting a raw deal and I hate it. He was a full-fledged X-man for gently caress's sake!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Poor guy can hang out with Pixie and commiserate, I guess.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Did they ever explain why they couldn't just make multiple copies of the Five and dramatically increase the resurrection rate? I'm sure there's ordinances against reviving people who aren't dead in general, but what with the millions of dead Genoshans situation it seems like a good spot for a specific exception.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Because there's still that question on if the people they're bringing back are actually like, them and their souls or not. That's why they don't want to bring back people unless they know for sure they've died.

And with Old Laura we'll probably get into that more.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's already been answered, oddly enough. pixie's soul was mutilated which gave her a soul dagger. it was not based on her body or mutant power at all. then she died, was brought back and still had the dagger. that she might not was never even brought up as a potential concern.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Codependent Poster posted:

Because there's still that question on if the people they're bringing back are actually like, them and their souls or not. That's why they don't want to bring back people unless they know for sure they've died.

And with Old Laura we'll probably get into that more.

Have they actually stated which outcome would be the bad one? Do they want to avoid creating soulless abominations, or do they want to dodge the philosophical apocalypse of finding out every clone has a soul even if their predecessor is alive?

And wasn't Forge running around with some sort of Caliban jacket? Is Caliban dead? I'm not 100% up to date on the status quo.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that's already been answered, oddly enough. pixie's soul was mutilated which gave her a soul dagger. it was not based on her body or mutant power at all. then she died, was brought back and still had the dagger. that she might not was never even brought up as a potential concern.

It's been answered more thoroughly than that during both Way of X and Trial of Magneto.

They're backing up the real you, anima amd all, but the part of your soul that doesn't get backed up, your missing time, still dies and passes on without the rest of you. That's what Onslaught was feeding on. That's what happened to Wanda (though she just ended up resurrecting herself the rest of the way).

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dawgstar posted:

Poor guy can hang out with Pixie and commiserate, I guess.

both still doing better than Rockslide!!!!

yes I'm still mad

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cabbit posted:

Have they actually stated which outcome would be the bad one? Do they want to avoid creating soulless abominations, or do they want to dodge the philosophical apocalypse of finding out every clone has a soul even if their predecessor is alive?

And wasn't Forge running around with some sort of Caliban jacket? Is Caliban dead? I'm not 100% up to date on the status quo.
I imagine some of this is also an effort to avoid objectifying mutants while celebrating their unique distinctive asset of their powers. If you're making multiple copies of Magneto just because it'd be really handy to have several versions of him, why not also edit one's brain? And then, why not use them as front-line troopers? And then presto! You're doing some Mister Sinister poo poo. They will almost surely gently caress up resurrecting a person who isn't dead, but this now means that these situations will be rare anomalies, and that there is firm grounding to make the "accidental clone" a fully realized person, rather than, you know, a potential asset for Orchis or whoever.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Cabbit posted:

They are basically trying to thread the needle between "bringing back our people" and "exploiting and dehumanizing our people by churning them out like the latest smart phone."

As for the Caliban suit, it was explained in the last issue of X-Men that Forge made the suit to mimic other mutant powers as part of the Vault rescue mission, and needed Caliban's mutant sensing powers. Except, that power is so linked to Caliban's mind that it can't be duplicated without a full copy of his mind. So, he loaded up Caliban's backup from Cerebro. He told the Caliban suite that he had gotten permission from the still living Caliban back on Krakoa to do this, but given we only see him discussing the creation of the suit with Sinister, this was probably a lie.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I was two weeks behind so here's some old poo poo before I talk about new poo poo.

How Wonderful! posted:

Honestly he's not even in my top five worst runs on the flagship title, and I think he had a lot of strong tertiary stuff (Multiple Man, his brief Astonishing run, NM: Dead Souls...).

1.) Milligan
2.) Spurrier
3.) Moore
4.) Hopeless
5.) Nicieza

I think the only thing I hate more than Milligan X-force/X-Statix is Morrison X-Men. Don't get me wrong, I love the ideas and, at least with force/statix, I love the art. But I just cannot engage with those stories at all. X-Statix reminds me of breaking bad in that everyone raves about how great it is, but I actively despise every single character.

How Wonderful! posted:

I also had tentative high hopes for both Jason Aaron's and Paul Cornell's Wolverine runs and wound up not super impressed with either.

So since you read through Wolverine, something I did a few years back, what do you think of the Hama Wolverine? Those were the books that built my impression of the character.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

It's a quantum probability pulsator, a piece of hardware implanted by Doc Tramma along with her claws (as seen in Web of Spider-Man Vol.2, #11, a reaaaaal early Pepe Larraz story).
Holy poo poo, I thought her claws were part of her costume!

Anyways, didn't really care for the ending of AXE, but there was really no other way it could go. I think ressurecting Cap was to show that mutants could do it for humans and set up the Phoenix Foundation.

X-Terminators is amazing and I love it. I cannot wait for next issue when Williams really cuts loose. On this weeks Cerebro she mentions how it wasn't until issue three that she found out this was a mature readers book. I love X-Men, I love vampires, I love when X-folk have to gently caress up vampires so much this is great!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Soonmot posted:

So since you read through Wolverine, something I did a few years back, what do you think of the Hama Wolverine? Those were the books that built my impression of the character.

Best run I think, he really understands that Logan works when you make him a straight man against the bananas stuff of the Marvel universe. I think it starts to putter out towards the end, much like PAD's Hulk, as more and more plot points are mandated to him from above, but the first half decade are near perfect superhero comics.

quote:

X-Terminators is amazing and I love it. I cannot wait for next issue when Williams really cuts loose. On this weeks Cerebro she mentions how it wasn't until issue three that she found out this was a mature readers book. I love X-Men, I love vampires, I love when X-folk have to gently caress up vampires so much this is great!

Great episode, I was losing my mind when it's like:
Connor Goldsmith: So I do have to imagine there'll be a more serious turn later on in the--
Leah Williams: Nope

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Loved that Leah's notebook for X-Terminators is covered in waifu stickers.

Also, this page made me think of the Laura discussion earlier in the thread.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Speaking of podcasts, Graymalkin Lane released an interview with the one the only Chuck Austen this weekend and it's a cool listen with some interesting revelations if you're still looking back on that run thinking "waaat the gently caress." I think that the interview was a bit more...hmm, "softball" and complimentary towards Austen's stuff (did you honestly enjoy Angel and Husk together, Chad? Did you really? :sweatdrop:) due to, like, the podcaster just being a decent respectful human being, especially given the stuff mentioned here about the hate and death threats Austen (and his family!) had received, but he's generally a good sport about all this stuff.

Some tidbids of note: He did always intend to write Iceman as closeted and self-hating about it. Those vibes were on purpose, based off of IRL people that a gay friend had discussed with him.

He actually likes Stacy X a lot? Which is wild to me 'cuz it seems like he wrote her out of the book so suddenly, but apparently she was actually intended to come back in a later story.

Literally doesn't remember Mammomax :xd:

JUSTICE FOR FISH BOY

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That sounds cool, podcasts are where it's at.

https://www.reddit.com/r/xmen/comments/yisv0k/made_a_cyclops_pumpkin_today_happy_halloween/

This is a good pumpkin.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Now we're talking! X-Men Red finally reveals all the tapestry of different plots from the previous SWORD title + Vulcan's whole deal and it's coming together pretty well. I'm impressed. I thought some plots points would have been dropped by now, but nope, everything's here.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
It may go without saying, but there's a lot here from Ewing's Guardians of the Galaxy run. I don't think it would ruin anything if you haven't read it, but he's definitely pulling from his own body of work.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Wanderer posted:

It may go without saying, but there's a lot here from Ewing's Guardians of the Galaxy run. I don't think it would ruin anything if you haven't read it, but he's definitely pulling from his own body of work.

It's a great run and worth reading, plus it's got Star Lord in a throuple.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Speaking of, just saw there's a new GotG on-going. Not by Ewing, though. Never heard of this other writer either. Worth a read or meh?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Saoshyant posted:

Speaking of, just saw there's a new GotG on-going. Not by Ewing, though. Never heard of this other writer either. Worth a read or meh?

Kevin Shinick is a TV guy who's worked on a lot, including "Robot Chicken," so I assume he's a buddy of Zeb Wells.

I flipped through the book in the store and it looks like it's an MCU tie-in. Seemed pretty skippable.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

A skip it is. Thanks.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Ewing is just consistently hitting every issue out of the park. Probably been the most worthwhile writer at Marvel for years now.

Interestingly, the World Farm and the Progenitors (no relation to The Progenitor of Judgment Day) are also from an older Ewing series, Royals, where it was revealed they were originally the godlike beings that genetically modified created the Kree, who then genetically modified the Inhumans. Last minute "WHAT'S THIS, IT'S BLACK BOLT WITH A STEEL CHAIR!" moment to upend Vulcan's shenanigans, please and thank you?

Although what's probably more likely to happen is that Storm just sics Uranos on the current proceedings. :v:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wanderer posted:

Kevin Shinick is a TV guy who's worked on a lot, including "Robot Chicken," so I assume he's a buddy of Zeb Wells.

I flipped through the book in the store and it looks like it's an MCU tie-in. Seemed pretty skippable.

Not even the MCU but the ride of the same name.

There is a new Guardians series coming out next year but I'm not sure there's been a creative team announced for it yet.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ewing is what Coates wishes he was in terms of pulling things together from all his runs.

Like a lot of threads are coming together in X-Men Red from tons of things, and Ewing also references other things he didn't write like how Frenzy is still in love with Scott from the Age of X storyline.

I just really want Nova to be a full-fledged member of the X-Men too. I love how he's getting so much respect from Ewing. I want to see him kick Vulcan's rear end so bad.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't understand what Brand wants.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

I don't understand what Brand wants.

It's pretty much all laid out in the data page at the end of the last X-Men Red issues. She wants to position Sol (aka Earth) as a major political power on an intergalactic stage, while also insuring she has plenty of influence over Earth's policies regarding space. It's a power grab.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Brand wants Earth and the Sol system to be the major player in the galaxy and everyone else to fear them and she wants to be in control of it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
She is basically female Beast, which is why the two of them should kiss and get married