Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I know this isn't UKPol but probably interesting to UKMTers anyway:

The Canada Union of Public Employees (CUPE - one of many unions representing public service workers including teachers, school support staff, also healthcare workers, library workers, etc.) are striking for a pay increase for educational workers - they've had a pay freeze for years and inflation is running rampant in Canada.

The Ontario gov, run by Conservative and all-around total piece of poo poo Doug Ford, offered them a 2% rise for workers making <$40k (~£26k) and 1.25% for everybody making more than that. They've since relented a bit and said 2.5% for <$43k and 1.5% for the rest - still pathetic given that inflation has been at 7% year on year, and teacher pay has been frozen for years. Worth noting also that CUPE is actually one of the smaller unions with only like 60k total workers.

Anyway it's all come to a head - CUPE were demanding 11% and the gov has said no, they since came down to I think 8% and the provincial gov have still said no, and importantly they are spouting a load of poo poo about how it's absolutely critical that kids are back at school on Monday and are using something called the notwithstanding clause to override the Charter of Rights and Freedoms to make the strikes illegal, and be able to fine striking workers up to $4000/day. I think they can also fine the union organisation $500k/day.

This is what the union has to say:

https://twitter.com/Alan_S_Hale/status/1588257158755454976?s=20&t=qCKfkdV_8YvXC_PN6T5MXA

So basically, it's all kicking off. Some poo poo is gonna go down and I think it's gonna (ultimately) be great. Trudeau has also slammed Ford's use of the notwithstanding clause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
:yeshaha:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I think I need to stop checking this thread. I started looking into power banks, but then I stopped to ask myself what I would actually need to plug into one… And hit a blank.

If the power cuts last for a few hours, I have enough books and board games to stave off boredom, I can just about manage on cold foods, or cook something beforehand if there’s enough warning, I have candles and torches for light, and blankets and duvets for heat.

If the power cuts last for longer, I’ll be too busy fighting off the purge to care.

Edit: poo poo, forgot about my son’s chameleon. Might be worth getting something small for her so she doesn’t die.

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 4, 2022

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Scientastic posted:

I think I need to stop checking this thread. I started looking into power banks, but then I stopped to ask myself what I would actually need to plug into one… And hit a blank.

If the power cuts last for a few hours, I have enough books and board games to stave off boredom, I can just about manage on cold foods, or cook something beforehand if there’s enough warning, I have candles and torches for light, and blankets and duvets for heat.

If the power cuts last for longer, I’ll be too busy fighting off the purge to care.

Edit: poo poo, forgot about my son’s chameleon. Might be worth getting something small for her so she doesn’t die.

You need to post

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

NotJustANumber99 posted:

the daily mail informs me jeremy corbyn is a useful idiot of putin.

hmmm.

i dont believe that entirely but unfortunately it does suggest that corbyn was unfortunately unsuitable to run the country. Admittedly he wouldnt have totally hosed us beyond belief and got kicked out in 45 days, but his current actions do suggest he would have been incapable to deal with and deposed in a situation such as we find ourselves with ukraine.

From time to time I do wonder what would have happened if Corbyn had won in December 2019 and then in March 2020 tried to institute the necessary Covid lockdowns. Would 3 months as PM have been long enough to establish enough credibility as PM to undo the press fearmongering or would there have been outright revolt from the Media/Conservatives/half the country...

At least we might have got UBI out of it I guess

blunt fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Nov 4, 2022

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Look in your heart. You already know the answer.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Miftan posted:

Look in your heart. You already know the answer.

This is bad for Jeremy Corbyn

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Is there any good sources podcasts on economics to help understand/strengthen the arguments against austerity round 2, particularly in a high inflationary environment where more QE is hard to argue for. I'm also interested to see what the MMT view is on the gilt yield spike from the markets upon viewing the Truss deficit as unsustainable and the viability of MMT if that is going to be the reaction always going forward, but everything I'm listening to currently is good at explaining some basic economic contexts in simple language for beginners, but is all very neo-classical.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

forkboy84 posted:

You need to post

there won't be any internet cause the internet won't work cause it needs power to have the internet

probably gonna have to furiously type shitposts into word then upload them when the power comes back on

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

DesperateDan posted:

there won't be any internet cause the internet won't work cause it needs power to have the internet

probably gonna have to furiously type shitposts into word then upload them when the power comes back on

Is that.. is that not how everyone does it..?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Just scream your posts into the street.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I don’t know about podcasts but I don’t think you need much argument beyond this tweet to highlight the stupidity of deficit targeting.

https://twitter.com/JoMicheII/status/1587910966381285376?s=20&t=RpjeWRsnlG_2_5jYNelA_Q

Plus the news today that they’re looking to make savings by cancelling Sizewell C and various northern rail projects - just obviously sacrificing future growth to chase a stupid short-term deficit target. It’s insane economic policy of a type that no other country pursues. The real long term damage of Truss is restoring credibility to these short-termist morons.

You can’t really accept that the gilt yield spike proves the market won’t tolerate larger deficits, or they’ve instantly won the argument. The reaction to the Truss budget was because:

A) she was expanding the deficit to pay for stupid, ineffective tax cuts rather than growth-driving projects
B) LDI. It’s not really in anyone’s interest to emphasise this, but as we’ve gotten further from it and people have done more analysis it’s become pretty clear that the vast majority of the Truss markets disaster was actually caused by LDI unwinding. The budget caused a spike that instantly broke a very fragile web and sent it into a doom-loop.

If you expand the deficit to invest in improved healthcare or more reliable power supply and other things that will clearly drive growth, the market will be fine with it - see the US Inflation Reduction Act.

ANYTHING YOU SOW
Nov 7, 2009

Weasling Weasel posted:

Is there any good sources podcasts on economics to help understand/strengthen the arguments against austerity round 2, particularly in a high inflationary environment where more QE is hard to argue for. I'm also interested to see what the MMT view is on the gilt yield spike from the markets upon viewing the Truss deficit as unsustainable and the viability of MMT if that is going to be the reaction always going forward, but everything I'm listening to currently is good at explaining some basic economic contexts in simple language for beginners, but is all very neo-classical.

There is a podcast series called Odd Lots which had an episode with Tony Nangle on explaining exactly what happened with the gilts.

The podcast is certainly not always from a left wing perspective (it is from Bloomberg after all), but they have a broad range of interesting people including MMT people.

The perspective of that podcast (and what MMT proponents would think), is that the gilt situation had more to do with liability driven investment strategy of UK pension funds rather than anything to do with whether the UK can sustain a deficit.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Clarence posted:

That's right, it was me wot dun it, gov.

I do get the impression, though, that mods have to deal with insane amounts of reports on the most trivial crap all the time.

you deserved this fate

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

NotJustANumber99 posted:

yeah very possibly true. a shame it didn't happen.

but right now hes on the wrong path.

For over 40 years he's consistently held the position that war is bad, and peace is better, and you get peace by persuading the people who are fighting to talk to each other instead and he's spent much of that time being called a horrible traitor for maintaining it. It's very unlikely indeed that he's going to make an exception at this point and say: "Actually, THIS war is cool and good and I think we should have more of it."

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

blunt posted:

From time to time I do wonder what would have happened if Corbyn had won in December 2019 and then in March 2020 tried to institute the necessary Covid lockdowns. Would 3 months as PM have been long enough to establish enough credibility as PM to undo the press fearmongering or would there have been outright revolt from the Media/Conservatives/half the country...

There were people (stupid people, but people none the less) in the real timeline tweeting pictures of empty supermarket shelves and going "This is what it would be like if Labour had won back in December".

That tells you pretty much all you need to know.

Large swathes of the press were happy to call Corbyn a Stalinist because of his idea for workers owning a share in their workplace and state-controlled internet :supaburn: so God knows what frenzy they'd have whipped themselves up into if PM Corbyn had implemented tight border controls ("Just like East Germany!!!"), functional and effective track and trace and lockdowns.

And at some point in May 2020 as the Covid death total tipped into four figures (as opposed to 50,000 it did in reality - more than the number of civilians killed in The Blitz) the political and media opposition would have decided that Corbyn Has The Blood Of Our Grannies On His Hands.

He'd be gone - at 'best' he'd be removed as PM by some parliamentary move to install a National Government (after a campaign mounted by The Guardian - they love the idea of National Governments) and at worse would have been done in by some radicalised right-wing nutter.

Even four months of a an actually left wing Labour government with a small majority would have done a lot of good and forced the ratchet back a few vital teeth, and it would have been infinitely better for loads of people to have Corbyn in the driving seat for the initial pandemic response. But for him personally and left wing politics in Britain as a whole I think it's actually much better that they weren't in power at that time. It would have got very, very messy and very, very nasty.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I kind of wonder whether, in a twisted way, COVID would have been worse under a Corbyn government simply because large swathes of the media would have whipped up a frenzy about lockdown restrictions being proof that he's Stalin 2.0, which would have encouraged more mass disobedience.

Imagine the reaction to Corbyn closing the pubs.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

BalloonFish posted:

But for him personally and left wing politics in Britain as a whole I think it's actually much better that they weren't in power at that time. It would have got very, very messy and very, very nasty.

Yeah cause we're doing so well these days

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Pistol_Pete posted:

For over 40 years he's consistently held the position that war is bad, and peace is better, and you get peace by persuading the people who are fighting to talk to each other instead and he's spent much of that time being called a horrible traitor for maintaining it. It's very unlikely indeed that he's going to make an exception at this point and say: "Actually, THIS war is cool and good and I think we should have more of it."

Yep, this. I can appreciate why people might find that perspective naive, but its a consistent position - it's the same reason he was encouraging talks with Hamas and Hezbollah.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I think it would have been best if we had voted in the real actual nazi party so everyone could see their policies don't work, then they would just lose all the elections. I am very smart

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suppose I would hope someone from a left wing background would understand the necessity of negotiating from a position of power, negotiation isn't just asking nicely for things, it's having the ability to force terms on an inherently hostile opponent.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Boris got a gigantic boost in approval just because he was there during the start of Covid. I think Corbyn would've gotten the same, people were scared. Rishi was being canonized for not leaving everyone to starve even though he couldn't. War mentality stuff. That's not to say they wouldn't have resumed chewing him to bits afterwards, they even did that to Boris, but I don't think it would've been the immediate bloodbath some are suggesting.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

OwlFancier posted:

I suppose I would hope someone from a left wing background would understand the necessity of negotiating from a position of power, negotiation isn't just asking nicely for things, it's having the ability to force terms on an inherently hostile opponent.

*looks at 2015-19*

Yeah to be honest I don't think Corbyn was ever good at the idea of using power to force terms on hostile opponents, unfortunately.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

But like, it's the entire point of striking, it's not a weird idea. And it's also not how anyone would treat, say, the UK invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan, you wouldn't say "well both sides need to come to an agreement" when it is very obvious that one side is not looking to negotiate.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pistol_Pete posted:

Only a oval office doesn't think that all wars are bad, but only an idiot doesn't think that some wars are necessary. It would be wonderful if Putin would come to the table and discuss universal peace, brotherhood and allegiance with Ukraine as Corbyn would wish, but that's not what Putin wants and since February 24th it's no longer even possible. Putin wants to subjugate and dominate the Ukrainian people, and the only choice we have now is between letting him do it or not. The last time we chose the former, it was the Sudetenland.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Pistol_Pete posted:

I don't think anyone expected him to come in out and war is cool, I don't really know anyone who does that, but accepting that some times you have to fight.

They've talked to the russians plenty of times anyway during this war and they kept breaking their word on those agreements. They still do talks I believe, like that grain deal, but it's pretty pointless when one side isn't gonna back down unless forced out of Ukraine first. They can talk of peace once the russians are expelled.

I am wondering myself what Corbyn would've said of Finland in the winter war, should we have stopped fighting too?

Granted, I think if the west had heeded Corbs warnings about Putin, which he started voicing ín the late 90s IIRC, we also might not have had this war and made us less dependent on Russia. This would've required the german leaders to grow a spine and brain to go with, a tall order.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Its good that Corbyn didn't win because external crises would have been used to discredit left wing governance. We should just wait for the crises to stop, any minute now

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Checks out.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/Thelma_DWalker/status/1588213204697714688

Phone posting so don't know if you can see. Ian Byrne MP has been blocked by Labour from being able to email LP members on his constituency.

LP are a bloody shower of poo poo.

Some people in the replies saying it's because he's part of selection process but I don't believe that is the reason because the Starmtroopers are anti-democratic charlatans.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Nov 4, 2022

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tarnop posted:

Its good that Corbyn didn't win because external crises would have been used to discredit left wing governance. We should just wait for the crises to stop, any minute now

lol basically.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I am wondering myself what Corbyn would've said of Finland in the winter war, should we have stopped fighting too?

Well as a full-blown tankie Jerumblah Crumbins would've of course opposed fighting against his beloved Soviet Union, of which he was a paid spy as we all know

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah, there's a coherent realist argument to be made here which hinges on two judgement calls: is the war likely to turn in Ukraine's favour if negotiations are refused and the fighting is allowed to play out and if so, would that improved bargaining position be worth the additional death and destruction incurred along the way. If you judge that the answers to those two questions are "yes" and "yes", then continuing the war without exploring possibilities of ceasefires, de-escalation etc is a grim prospect but a defensible stance. (In my personal opinion, the answers to the questions are: "more likely not" and "no", which is why I'd prefer to see an immediate ceasefire followed by negotiations.)

I think Corbyn has always taken a more morally rigid stance that war is always bad, peace is always preferable and that the most important thing is to get people talking, no matter what the current circumstances.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Thanks thread, now I have another project in turning an old lister diesel cement mixer engine into a backup generator and spending far more time effort and money than just buying a generator for a couple hundred quid. gently caress sake

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
How much does the heat (or lack of) in flats in a block affect the other flats?

I'm on the top floor of a three floor block, with three flats on each floor (your standard slightly crumbling draughty Edinburgh tenement, for those familiar). The flat directly below mine is looking like it'll be vacant and unheated all winter, and at least one of the ground floor flats is going to be the same. Does this actually make it any colder for other flats in the building or is it neglible really? They were all occupied a year ago, so just trying to plan for whether it'll feel colder than last winter.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
front page of bbc's main story is 'the albanian gangs luring migrants to the uk' immediately talking about drugs

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I lived in a top floor flat for 8 years and never once had to turn on the heating thanks to my neighbours. It makes a huge difference

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Failed Imagineer posted:

I lived in a top floor flat for 8 years and never once had to turn on the heating thanks to my neighbours. It makes a huge difference

Thanks for that, although welp, cold feet for me all winter then!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Thanks for that, although welp, cold feet for me all winter then!

Get a pair of wool fishing socks from ebay. They will keep your feet toasty all winter long.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

roomtone posted:

Boris got a gigantic boost in approval just because he was there during the start of Covid. I think Corbyn would've gotten the same, people were scared. Rishi was being canonized for not leaving everyone to starve even though he couldn't. War mentality stuff. That's not to say they wouldn't have resumed chewing him to bits afterwards, they even did that to Boris, but I don't think it would've been the immediate bloodbath some are suggesting.

Boris was the media's favourite special boy and they only turned on him because he went too openly contemptuous and made them look like idiots for supporting him

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

How much does the heat (or lack of) in flats in a block affect the other flats?

I'm on the top floor of a three floor block, with three flats on each floor (your standard slightly crumbling draughty Edinburgh tenement, for those familiar). The flat directly below mine is looking like it'll be vacant and unheated all winter, and at least one of the ground floor flats is going to be the same. Does this actually make it any colder for other flats in the building or is it neglible really? They were all occupied a year ago, so just trying to plan for whether it'll feel colder than last winter.

Higher up you go the warmer you are at the expense of lower down flats.
Friend lives on 4th floor of a small block and never has to put her heating on.
When I lived in a 1st floor flat, below me was an unheated white goods store and above me a flat where the occupants would go to Vietnam for 2 months Dec to Feb so I was heating their empty flat too. Tellingly, I moved out late November 2019 the same day they went abroad and no new person moved in to 'my' flat so it was also unheated all winter. When upstairs came back in Feb their flat was riddled with black mould.
I pick ground floor flats (or low as possible) because I can't face dealing with leaky roof issues!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Jedit posted:

Only a oval office doesn't think that all wars are bad, but only an idiot doesn't think that some wars are necessary. It would be wonderful if Putin would come to the table and discuss universal peace, brotherhood and allegiance with Ukraine as Corbyn would wish, but that's not what Putin wants and since February 24th it's no longer even possible. Putin wants to subjugate and dominate the Ukrainian people, and the only choice we have now is between letting him do it or not. The last time we chose the former, it was the Sudetenland.

Why is it 1938 and not 1914 though? Spiralling works both ways.