Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

It's obvious because you've played however many runs of the computer game. If you're new to the game and aren't familiar with the upgrades, especially if the upgrades do something that aren't just "number goes up," then you're unsleeving/resleeving every card to check. Unless the cards have some element that show them what the upgrades do on the front/base version of the card, then I'll take back the criticism, but it just seems like for the benefit of co-op, you're paying extra for a more fiddly and time consuming version of a game where you can get through a run in like 15 minutes.

yeah i thought about that as soon as i posted, and also some of them going by the video are different (like in the video game upgrading a basic defend is 90% of the time a bad idea but here it can be used to block for others so that's very differently impactful)

also definitely north of a thousand

get slay the spire kids, it's good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

armorer posted:

Sorting cards after a game of dominion is WAY easier than sleeving and unsleeving stuff

Depends on how much stuff. I haven't played the Slay The Spire board game, but how big of an issue this is depends on how many cards you're actually going to upgrade. Am I resleeving 6 cards, or 60?

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020

rydiafan posted:

Depends on how much stuff. I haven't played the Slay The Spire board game, but how big of an issue this is depends on how many cards you're actually going to upgrade. Am I resleeving 6 cards, or 60?

Good deck in StS contains 10-20 cards. If you are lucky, all of them are upgraded.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

rydiafan posted:

I don't think it's fair to compare the board game to the video game.

It's extremely fair to compare them. Is it unfair to compare the digital version of Gloomhaven with the board game?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

interrodactyl posted:

It's extremely fair to compare them. Is it unfair to compare the digital version of Gloomhaven with the board game?

It's much, much easier to digitize a game that started out as a board game than it is to board game-ize a game that started out as a computer game. Would you do a straight comparison between Bloodborne the video game and Bloodborne the tabletop game?

Even in the case of Slay the Spire, which is very board-game-like to start with, they're doing things like making it not a pure solo game, so there are already substantial differences from the video game.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Arivia posted:

get slay the spire kids, it's good

I have it on android and steam, I'm good.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Zurai posted:

Would you do a straight comparison between Bloodborne the video game and Bloodborne the tabletop game?

No, because Bloodborne was not a digital board game.

Zurai posted:

so there are already substantial differences from the video game.

By all accounts and their own design ambitions, there really isn't. Even people that tested it and were very hot on it said its just coop StS.

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020

Bottom Liner posted:

By all accounts and their own design ambitions, there really isn't. Even people that tested it and were very hot on it said its just coop StS.

It is very Slay the Spire, but they have streamlined a lot of the mechanics to the board game.

I don't really have a horse in this race. I have over 1000 hours in StS and still not getting the board game for that price. Just saying that the situation is not as grim as some people suggest.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

No, because Bloodborne was not a digital board game.

Neither was Slay the Spire. It's board game like in that it used deckbuilder mechanics for its main gameplay loop, but it's not a digital board game.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

This discussion is very funny to me in that I don't think anyone here is actually going to buy the slay the spire board game.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

an actual dog posted:

This discussion is very funny to me in that I don't think anyone here is actually going to buy the slay the spire board game.

I was going to but then I saw it doesn't come with 6000 unnecessary miniatures so it's a pass.

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020

an actual dog posted:

If I had infinite money and infinite shelf space I would :(

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

an actual dog posted:

it's probably going to make me come back from "gently caress kickstarter I'm done with it". I'm probably nearing 500 hours of Slay the Sire played across PC, Xbox, and Switch.

a coop board game loosely themed on the PC game sounds great, especially because my play group mostly just plays coop games.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
The price doesn't seem unreasonable to me, I just don't see that much gain from putting StS in a physical format, or have that much love for the original game. (Now, Monster Train...would still run into the first problem honestly.)

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
I was definitely on the “eh” side of things as a nerd with 400 hours on mobile STS because

A. Rolling an insane build like today where playing a shiv deals damage, poison, gives me block, (block deals damage to them) and generates a random card for me would be impossible and not fun to grok and B. Shuffling and sleeving cards boo hoo

BUT I did watch a 2 person play though on YT and the coop aspect and streamlining has got me interested again.

They announced the release of the TTS mod to the public so we’re going to play the digital implementation of a physical version of a digital simulation of a card game to see if we should pay to receive the physical version of a digital simulation of a card game in a year+

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Zurai posted:

Would you do a straight comparison between Bloodborne the video game and Bloodborne the tabletop game?

It's pretty clear these are not the same thing and disingenuous to insist otherwise. Between the Gloomhaven example and the Bloodborne example, which do you think the StS board game / video game split is closer to?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

interrodactyl posted:

It's pretty clear these are not the same thing and disingenuous to insist otherwise. Between the Gloomhaven example and the Bloodborne example, which do you think the StS board game / video game split is closer to?

You mean the Gloomhaven video game that was completely different from the board game for the vast majority of its lifespan?

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
I'm not sure if you're pretending to be stupid on purpose but you have me convinced; there's no way to compare these kinds of things. Thanks for your input.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Zurai posted:

You mean the Gloomhaven video game that was completely different from the board game for the vast majority of its lifespan?
Uh. What?

Digital GH gameplay is nearly identical to the board game, and has been from the first early access release. The Guildmaster mode has a different campaign structure, yeah, but the core gameplay elements were basically as spot-on as possible. Arguing it's completely different is really wild, man.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

Uh. What?

Digital GH gameplay is nearly identical to the board game, and has been from the first early access release. The Guildmaster mode has a different campaign structure, yeah, but the core gameplay elements were basically as spot-on as possible. Arguing it's completely different is really wild, man.

It had a different campaign structure, different rules for enhancements, different rules for shops, different items period, different ways to unlock characters, etc etc.

The dungeon crawling was mostly the same, but the game was different. Arguing that "it's been nearly identical to the board game from the first early access release" is super, super wild. If they'd put a different coat of paint on the first releases, no one would've known it was Gloomhaven.

That's the point. This is someone taking a board game with strict rules that require essentially no judgment calls--the perfect case for turning a board game into a video game--and digitizing it, and it still took them, what, a year and a half from the start of early access to actually release Gloomhaven instead of Inspired By Gloomhaven?

I honestly don't care about the StS board game. I looked at the KS page to see what changes it made from the original, but it's 100% video except for the graphics showing the game pieces and the pledge levels. What I care about is this utterly moronic idea that it's just as easy to translate a video game into a 100% faithful board game as it is to translate a board game into a 100% faithful video game.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Zurai posted:

It had a different campaign structure, different rules for enhancements, different rules for shops, different items period, different ways to unlock characters, etc etc.

The dungeon crawling was mostly the same, but the game was different. Arguing that "it's been nearly identical to the board game from the first early access release" is super, super wild. If they'd put a different coat of paint on the first releases, no one would've known it was Gloomhaven.

That's the point. This is someone taking a board game with strict rules that require essentially no judgment calls--the perfect case for turning a board game into a video game--and digitizing it, and it still took them, what, a year and a half from the start of early access to actually release Gloomhaven instead of Inspired By Gloomhaven?

I honestly don't care about the StS board game. I looked at the KS page to see what changes it made from the original, but it's 100% video except for the graphics showing the game pieces and the pledge levels. What I care about is this utterly moronic idea that it's just as easy to translate a video game into a 100% faithful board game as it is to translate a board game into a 100% faithful video game.

Wow, it seems like you were able to compare a digital product to a board game pretty well and identify some differences, advantages, and disadvantages of either product. So you do have a functioning brain and you were being obtuse on purpose.

I have no idea what strawman you invented to argue against and have no comments on whatever the gently caress all that bullshit is.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Zurai posted:

You spend like 90%+ of play time doing the dungeon crawling, though?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Zurai posted:

If they'd put a different coat of paint on the first releases, no one would've known it was Gloomhaven.
Speaking of super, super wild comments.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

interrodactyl posted:

I have no idea what strawman you invented to argue against and have no comments on whatever the gently caress all that bullshit is.

No straw needed, you ad hominem-slinging goon.

You were the one who responded to a post saying we shouldn't compare a board game to its video game origin by proposing that we compare a video game to its board game origin, as if the two transitions were commutative and equal.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Looks like the StS streamer Jorbs is playing the boardgame with one of the devs right now:

https://twitch.tv/jorbs

He's pretty good at StS so looking forward to what he has to say about it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

From one of the devs right now (kinda paraphrased): "The decision making that you would do within the video-game ports over to the board-game directly."

EDIT: this was in response to Jorbs asking if he needed early damage.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Zurai posted:

No straw needed, you ad hominem-slinging goon.

You were the one who responded to a post saying we shouldn't compare a board game to its video game origin by proposing that we compare a video game to its board game origin, as if the two transitions were commutative and equal.

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but your strategy of "posting through it" is not making your lack of reading comprehension and poor critical thinking skills look any better.

Hope you have a great weekend.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

The Eyes Have It posted:

:siren: :siren: Post your most disappointing KS campaign development :siren: :siren: (or at least the first one that comes to your mind.)

I'll go first:

SPACE KRAKEN looked interesting and different with some solid mechanics, but as time went on seemed to go into a weird spiral of feature frenzy. I think the creator fell down a 2010's-furry-deviantart-worldbuilding rabbithole and never regained his senses.
Printed copies are still in progress but an early digital release got me to download and look at it, and uh, well poo poo I can't even figure out how to read the HOW TO PLAY which I think is a sign you done hosed up :engleft:

SIGMATA.

Started out looking like anti-fascist retrofuturistic transistor-era cyberpunk with enemy factions based on the major authoritarian movements of the day.

Then he started posting mechanics, and revealed the real narrative of the game was about allying with one or more of said fascist groups to beat the others in hopes that they'd be reasonable if they were the last ones standing. gently caress Chad Walker, fake-rear end poser anarchist.

Also jesus christ you nerds, they make sleeves that are transparent on both sides. You don't need to unsleeve anything, just buy the right product for double-sided cards.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Also jesus christ you nerds, they make sleeves that are transparent on both sides. You don't need to unsleeve anything, just buy the right product for double-sided cards.

It's genuinely a thing for Slay the Spire, because every card is double sided but you need opaque backs when they're shuffled into the deck.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Liquid Communism posted:

SIGMATA.

Started out looking like anti-fascist retrofuturistic transistor-era cyberpunk with enemy factions based on the major authoritarian movements of the day.

Then he started posting mechanics, and revealed the real narrative of the game was about allying with one or more of said fascist groups to beat the others in hopes that they'd be reasonable if they were the last ones standing. gently caress Chad Walker, fake-rear end poser anarchist.

Yeah, this sucked.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, this sucked.
Thank god his followup game about being justified doompilled ecoterrorists never got off the ground on account of art theft. Sigmata also was not playable in its initial form, or it was but it was bizarrely complicated so he released a 2e pretty quickly. That's not an apology for that game, which I also almost bought into the hype of in post-2016 Political Feelings, but just more "wow this was supremely doomed from the start".

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

This is a top 100 TG post. Just an encapsulation of TG in a single post.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

That's a bit convoluted, and also doesn't solve the problem of the back of the card showing all the upgraded side, which can look busy or be confusing.

A much simple solution would to have each card instead be made of dual-layered cardboard, and you just pop out the top layer (the basic card) to reveal the upgraded card. It might be a bit difficult to shuffle the deck, but the game could come with a customized card shuffler that could accommodate thicker cardboard cards. I see you can buy some for only 20-40$ (the custom one would cost a bit more), but that's just a fraction of the price of the KS, so easily justifiable.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hostile V posted:

Thank god his followup game about being justified doompilled ecoterrorists never got off the ground on account of art theft. Sigmata also was not playable in its initial form, or it was but it was bizarrely complicated so he released a 2e pretty quickly. That's not an apology for that game, which I also almost bought into the hype of in post-2016 Political Feelings, but just more "wow this was supremely doomed from the start".

I'd forgotten the game's full title is a Woody Guthrie reference and feel irritated at it all over again.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Hostile V posted:

Thank god his followup game about being justified doompilled ecoterrorists never got off the ground on account of art theft.

Oh, ‘looking forward’ to seeing him make games with only AI art in the future.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
The slay the spire board game looks cool and slay the spire the video game is a great but I do take for granted all the work the video game does to keep track of everything so I don't have to. 4 player coop sounds banging though.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah I'm glad StS has a dollar tier. I'm not 100% sold on it. Interested but also trying to be somewhat realistic.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah in the stream of the game that I saw there was a lot of upkeep and status tracking that you have to do manually and it seems kind of a chore, even though most of the elements are simplified from the video game. Some of the things I saw sounded interesting though and the coop aspect did sound interesting.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/flyosgames/werewolf-the-apocalypse-retaliation

Only $200 for a Werewolf The Apocalypse dungeon crawler

Surprised they've got the restraint to offer a standee version. Did their vampire game even come out yet? Was it even any good??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

FirstAidKite posted:

Surprised they've got the restraint to offer a standee version. Did their vampire game even come out yet? Was it even any good??

The answer is almost (their latest update is apparently that all of the copies are printed and being assembled to get ready for shipping) and maybe (they posted some review videos that I haven't bothered actually watching, but are apparently positive).