Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

thats what happens when wotc doesnt put control enders in their sets. you think you hate dream trawler or whatever because you think its snatching victory from you automatically on turn 10 but in actuality you lost as soon as you hit turn 10 against control anyways whether you knew it or not. you should have conceded 20 turns ago but didnt have the out so your pride doesnt let you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

standard sucks so loving much

]
edit: lol played a loving match against azorius control that took 33 turns and 26 minutes and ended with me dying from empty library while they had 1 card in their library, there wasn't any milling involved, it was just them countering and exiling all my spells while they reshuffled them back in into their deck repeatedly, if there was an experience that was expressly designed to get me to physically harm someone while also giving up on magic forever it was that, i should have just ejected but it felt winnable for like 20 minutes and then it was sunk cost

i legitimately feel like my whole day has been bottled and i want to go back to sleep

dunno about other posters but personally I'm at the "point and laugh at your sisyphean self-flagellation" phase with you, so

:cawg:

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

fridge corn posted:

I dont play control and I dont play against control. If I'm up against a control deck and I dont have a decent board presence by turn 5 or whatever I'll just scoop and move on. I play the game to have fun and I'll have no fun in those matches even if I eventually end up winning

I used to never concede, but recently I've converted to this line of thinking. Especially in brawl or historic brawl, if I know it's going to be a slog for the next 10 turns or if the other person is playing really slowly, I just concede and queue up again. Sometimes if I go against certain commanders and they hit the battlefield without a way for me to remove them, i just snap concede before they can even do the whole play-crazy-cards-for-free or whatever.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

thespaceinvader posted:

When standard sucks play brawl.

New thread title.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Standard isn't even that bad. Yeah there's a lot of black but that black isn't unbeatable, or even mostly require a really specific gameplan to beat like control did before the epiphany and Divide by Zero ban last year.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lone Goat posted:

are you playing in the unranked queue?

I only ever play ranked

Standingstoic
Jan 17, 2007
Out of the blue, beyond any cause you can trace, you'll suddenly realize things are not how you perceived them at all. For some reason, you will no longer be the person you believed you once were.
I think if you play the game with any kind of competitive bent whatsoever, knowing when to concede is an actual valuable skill. There's a lot to be said about knowing when to scoop to a duress to avoid letting your opponent get information for post-board games.

The general popularity of BO1 on arena eroded this skill in a lot of people, because it's lunacy to me to sit in a game I know I can't come back in unless I'm grinding arena quests or something.

Like, sure, occassionally I see someone playing control and get cocky and think I can spin up a multi-threat turn, but usually can differentiate surefire losses from close ones, especially as the standard format has worn on a bit and you get to know the finishers enough to know when you're beat.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

true mtg enlightenment is counting until you've cast your 25th creature spell, then conceding even with lethal on board

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

i should unironically do that. anyway yeah now that i've seen the deck if I ever play standard again I will know when to concede. at this point I could see myself letting my rank decay to bronze tbh

SwissArmyDruid posted:

New thread title.

yeah this was good advice, even though I went 1-3 trying to get my daily at least i didn't feel an unreasonable amount of rage at my opponent lol

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Can you make a decent historic brawl deck with Zur, Eternal Schemer? Or does that not get as powerful as I hope it does?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I genuinely honest-to-god love control mirrors that go to decking. Some of the most fun I've had on Arena was playing Esper Doom against Bant Ramp back in the T3feri + Elspeth Conquers Death days.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Corbeau posted:

I genuinely honest-to-god love control mirrors that go to decking. Some of the most fun I've had on Arena was playing Esper Doom against Bant Ramp back in the T3feri + Elspeth Conquers Death days.

One of the most satisfying games I ever played was Dance of the Manse vs Golos Field that I eventually won when the Golos player ran out of lands in their deck

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

40 lbs to freedom posted:

thats what happens when wotc doesnt put control enders in their sets. you think you hate dream trawler or whatever because you think its snatching victory from you automatically on turn 10 but in actuality you lost as soon as you hit turn 10 against control anyways whether you knew it or not. you should have conceded 20 turns ago but didnt have the out so your pride doesnt let you.

Teferi, Hero of Dominaria in every set please

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Node posted:

Can you make a decent historic brawl deck with Zur, Eternal Schemer? Or does that not get as powerful as I hope it does?

brewing your own hbrawl decks is one of the most fun things you can do on arena, and because the best decks get lumped together in their own queue you can try whatever idea you come up with yourself and go bump up against someone doing an ayula bear theme deck or raggadragga mana dorks

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Node posted:

I’ve been tinkering with one for a while. It feels like it’s not quite there yet, but there are a lot of fun moments. I told myself I wouldn’t spend any rare wildcards on such a janky, gimmicky commander. It, uh, didn’t work out like that.

Commander
1 Zur, Eternal Schemer (DMU) 228

Deck
1 Curse of Silence (MID) 15
7 Island (HBG) 296
1 Fading Hope (MID) 51
9 Swamp (HBG) 300
1 Nightmare Shepherd (THB) 108
1 Mirrorhall Mimic (VOW) 68
1 Swords to Plowshares (STA) 10
1 Ephemerate (STA) 5
1 Omen of the Sun (THB) 30
1 Eidolon of Philosophy (THB) 48
1 Spirit-Sister's Call (NEO) 237
1 The Wandering Emperor (NEO) 42
1 The Eldest Reborn (DAR) 90
1 Spirited Companion (NEO) 38
1 Mire's Grasp (THB) 106
1 Banishing Light (THB) 4
1 Borrowed Time (MID) 6
1 Mana Geode (JMP) 472
1 Thassa, Deep-Dwelling (THB) 71
1 Erebos, Bleak-Hearted (THB) 93
1 Athreos, Shroud-Veiled (THB) 269
1 A-The Meathook Massacre (MID) 112
1 Kiora Bests the Sea God (THB) 52
1 Starfield Mystic (M20) 39
1 Scheming Fence (SNC) 219
1 Warrant // Warden (RNA) 230
1 Wrath of God (AKR) 46
1 Doomskar (KHM) 9
1 Hallowed Haunting (VOW) 17
1 Dockside Chef (NEO) 93
1 Fatal Push (KLR) 84
1 Witness Protection (SNC) 66
1 Feed the Swarm (ZNR) 102
1 Infernal Grasp (MID) 107
1 Black Market Connections (HBG) 145
1 Arcane Signet (ELD) 331
1 Coldsteel Heart (CSP) 136
1 Ornithopter of Paradise (MH2) 232
1 Confounding Conundrum (ZNR) 53
1 Leyline of Anticipation (M20) 64
1 Crippling Fear (KHM) 82
1 Midnight Clock (ELD) 54
1 Saw It Coming (KHM) 76
1 Temple of Enlightenment (THB) 246
1 The Restoration of Eiganjo (NEO) 34
1 Phyrexian Arena (8ED) 152
1 Smothering Tithe (RNA) 22
1 Aether Channeler (DMU) 42
1 Shark Typhoon (IKO) 67
1 Elspeth's Nightmare (THB) 91
1 Ethereal Absolution (RNA) 170
1 Alseid of Life's Bounty (THB) 1
1 Heliod, Sun-Crowned (THB) 18
1 Mirrormade (ELD) 55
1 The Modern Age (NEO) 66
7 Plains (HBG) 292
1 Command Tower (ELD) 333
1 Fabled Passage (M21) 246
1 Obscura Storefront (SNC) 252
1 Raffine's Tower (SNC) 254
1 Shipwreck Marsh (MID) 267
1 Clearwater Pathway (ZNR) 260
1 Shattered Sanctum (VOW) 264
1 Brightclimb Pathway (ZNR) 259
1 Hengegate Pathway (KHM) 260
1 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
1 Deserted Beach (MID) 260
1 Sea Gate Restoration (ZNR) 76
1 Caves of Koilos (DMU) 244
1 Counterspell (STA) 15
1 Thriving Heath (JMP) 35
1 Thriving Moor (JMP) 37
1 One with the Stars (THB) 59
1 Archon of Sun's Grace (THB) 3
1 The Birth of Meletis (THB) 5
1 Omen of the Sea (THB) 58
1 Thriving Isle (JMP) 36
1 Glasspool Mimic (ZNR) 60
1 Lurrus of the Dream-Den (IKO) 226

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

precision posted:

Out of curiosity I made a mono black deck to test what I suspect and yes, you can get lots of people to scoop early just because mono B is so hated

I'm only running two invoke even lol

I upped it to 3. Its not necessarily better but it is funnier.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Why yes I would like to make my board into slivers and give them double strike.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

ObsidianBeast posted:

I used to never concede, but recently I've converted to this line of thinking. Especially in brawl or historic brawl, if I know it's going to be a slog for the next 10 turns or if the other person is playing really slowly, I just concede and queue up again. Sometimes if I go against certain commanders and they hit the battlefield without a way for me to remove them, i just snap concede before they can even do the whole play-crazy-cards-for-free or whatever.

Conceding when it's over except for them playing out their interminable deck is the other important thing to learn on arena.

There is ABSOLUTELY no reward for sticking around. Even if there's a vanishing chance you might win and get a tiny amount of advancement, in the 10 plus minutes it would take for them to finally cast their wincon when they're ABSOLUTELY certain you can't possibly come back even if you topdeck the perfect card you don't even have... you could have played several more games.

I'll concede if I'm bored, I'll concede if I'm ahead but I need to go do something, I'll concede if i'm a bit behind and i feel like there's not much chance of pulling it back, I'll concede if they counter or kill a key card.

If it sucks, hit da bricks.

(Obviously, the exception to this is Limited (and event play I guess). Always, always stick around in Limited until they actually have lethal and are actually swinging for it because there's always a chance that they d/c or do a stupid, and unlike constructed, there actually IS something meaningful on the line.)

Which actually, come to think of it, is probably the reason I don't do even play (other than that I haven't managed to find a standard deck I'm happy enough with this set to risk it) - because I don't want every game to be high stakes unless I'm drafting.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

it felt winnable for like 20 minutes and then it was sunk cost

"What do I have to draw and what do they have to draw for me to win" is a good way of knowing when to scoop games vs control. Play to your outs, but if you've got none then

Corbeau posted:

Same, op

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

standard sucks so loving much

]
edit: lol played a loving match against azorius control that took 33 turns and 26 minutes and ended with me dying from empty library while they had 1 card in their library, there wasn't any milling involved, it was just them countering and exiling all my spells while they reshuffled them back in into their deck repeatedly, if there was an experience that was expressly designed to get me to physically harm someone while also giving up on magic forever it was that, i should have just ejected but it felt winnable for like 20 minutes and then it was sunk cost

i legitimately feel like my whole day has been bottled and i want to go back to sleep

Edit oh poo poo didn't even see thespaceinvader's post

Whooping Crabs fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Nov 7, 2022

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Whooping Crabs posted:

Edit oh poo poo didn't even see thespaceinvader's post

I think it's important for everyone to save this image and internalize its message, not just for MTG but for life. A good post

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

kalel posted:

true mtg enlightenment is counting until you've cast your 25th creature spell, then conceding even with lethal on board

I do this all the time. Also conceeding as soon as I know I can't cast any more of whatever I need for the daily.

I also alt-f4 probably more than I should when I get bored.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Rap Game Goku posted:

I do this all the time. Also conceeding as soon as I know I can't cast any more of whatever I need for the daily.

I also alt-f4 probably more than I should when I get bored.

Yeah don't alt f4 though, that's just a dick move when it's like 1 second longer to concede and that doesn't force the other player to wait right through your entire rope.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

"What do I have to draw and what do they have to draw for me to win" is a good way of knowing when to scoop games vs control. Play to your outs, but if you've got none then

Yeah, it was very much a situation where I was putting damage on and I kept on drawing potential answers, and as long they didn't runner runner sweeper counterspell I could close.

But well, they runner runnered 8 times in a row lol and it took until they had thinned the library to 10 cards i realized "oh with memory deluge and devious cover-up they have 100% chance of getting the cards they want"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Lmao how is losing real bro just make better decks haha

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Everyone who loses to me is a scrub, anyone who wins is a cheater.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Horace Kinch posted:

Everyone who loses to me is a scrub, anyone who wins is a cheater.

Who is a scrub?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

MasterBuilder posted:

Who is a scrub?
A scrub is a guy that thinks he's fly and is also known as a busta, always talking about what he wants and just sits on his broke rear end

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

brawl... is good

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

MasterBuilder posted:

Who is a scrub?

A scrub is a guy who can't get no love from me, hangin on the passenger side of his best friend's ride, tryin to holler at me

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Oh cool, cube for midweek Magic!

Need two cuts here, any suggestions?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

:siren:Free Phantom Bot Cube:siren:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Lurrus + Sigardian Evangel is an absolutely stupid combo. It took my opponent 3 turns to realize why I had a neverending supply of 3/1s that would tap down their critters - which was good for me, because they probably could have killed me in the air if they'd been attacking rather than staying back on D.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
i got to kill shot someone on exactly 7 health with a topdeck nicol bolas which is what i love these events for, getting to play with cards id never normally craft/make decks with

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Hammer Bro. posted:

:siren:Free Phantom Bot Cube:siren:

uh how should I build this one lol

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Huh I was playing around with a jodah humans deck where I had like 80% of the rares so I just stuck other stuff I had that fit into the curve in and... at least a couple of them kind of actually work well?

Saryth the Viper's Fang does a decent job of protecting poo poo when you're looking for all your cards to be legendary humans anyway, and also Sigarda Champion of Light despite not being a human herself DIGS for humans, so she kinda ends up as like a mediocre 5th and 6th copy of Jodah.

Saryth especially though I've had multiple occasions where I play her the turn before I'm going to be able to drop Jodah, they ignore her, and then the turn I drop Jodah they realize they need to kill her first and I've got a free turn to actually cascade with Jodah after that.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

lmao 0-3 so far, I would be thinking darker thoughts if i had to pay gems for this instead of burning away time

Edit: complaining gets me on the board

3-3 to finish it... decent enough though in the real world the order of those wins matters lol

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 9, 2022

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

lmao 0-3 so far, I would be thinking darker thoughts if i had to pay gems for this instead of burning away time

i somehow blanked on it being cube until i was halfway through the second pack and drafted an absolute nightmare of a pile and lost my first like 7 games but then managed to pull off 3 wins in a row after that which really eased my mind lol

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Speaking of interminable grindy decks and cube:

Finishers on finishers on finishers. Junji bringing back Sheoldred bringing back Junji is loving hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

3-3 to finish it... decent enough though in the real world the order of those wins matters lol
Bad news about "reality"