Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Lady Gaza posted:

Has anyone had any experience with getting a booster, even if not eligible per government guidelines? I’ve heard of the odd person who has managed to get one at a walk-in site. My brother in law is a teacher and always getting sick, so when he went for his flu jab he asked and got the covid booster too. I managed to get my original booster early as St Thomas’ hospital in London were giving them out to anyone, despite official guidance, since they had the stock. Tempted to try them or Guy’s when I’m next in London for work.

Couldn't hurt! I think that uptake is so low now that you definitely won't be taking your dose away from someone else.

I got mine because I live with someone who is immunosuppressed. If they ask why you're there when you don't appear to be eligible on first glance, then you could just say that's the case for you too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
I was trying to read the "methodology" this jabroni used. They basically just called the Google Perspective API, and billed it as their own "AI." Then of course no word on how that model was trained or the biases it might have, so I guess we just take whatever Google does uncritically, and also assume this 3rd party tool is appropriate. It's really impressively badly done.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HKK_ordzVVuzBjVBSmPnPaSyHc-oqpC0aBgSkxYUrjE/edit#heading=h.g0she42yz5s7

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I had my booster a couple of saturday's ago at my local surgery. They weren't taking any notice of any appointments, and were accepting everyone they saw. It's worth just turning up and seeing if it's the same where you are

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1590357702185975808?s=20&t=GhuWiIcQPTaHrPKY-oeHMQ

confirmed now

https://www.rcn.org.uk/news-and-events/news/uk-nhs-nursing-strikes-2022-rcn-strike-ballot-results-released-091122

Looke fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 9, 2022

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Barry Foster posted:

Couldn't hurt! I think that uptake is so low now that you definitely won't be taking your dose away from someone else.

I got mine because I live with someone who is immunosuppressed. If they ask why you're there when you don't appear to be eligible on first glance, then you could just say that's the case for you too.

I probably wouldn’t lie about that, but I do have a very young son and I worry about him catching it. Since I got my first jab early (a friend text that her hospital had spare doses going) and my booster early, I probably have very low immunity by now.

I really don’t see why the government aren’t going full force with boosters, considering how effective they appear to be. It’d help the economy after all, and that’s all they seem to care about.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

fuctifino posted:

I had my booster a couple of saturday's ago at my local surgery. They weren't taking any notice of any appointments, and were accepting everyone they saw. It's worth just turning up and seeing if it's the same where you are

Good to know!

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Tomberforce posted:

Had an awkward moment on the plane a couple of months ago when my partner (PhD in Geography) was asked by a flight attendant to help with ain flight medical issue. Oops.

You need a physician :smug:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Lady Gaza posted:

I really don’t see why the government aren’t going full force with boosters, considering how effective they appear to be. It’d help the economy after all, and that’s all they seem to care about.

it's cos covid is over, innit

Anyway, what Fuct said is also heartening, I'd honestly just turn up and try your proverbial and literal arm

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Lady Gaza posted:

I probably wouldn’t lie about that, but I do have a very young son and I worry about him catching it. Since I got my first jab early (a friend text that her hospital had spare doses going) and my booster early, I probably have very low immunity by now.

They don't care about the economy, they care about their and their mates' share in it, the rest can get hosed - even if that means they end up with less in the future.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

mrpwase posted:

They don't care about the economy, they care about their and their mates' share in it, the rest can get hosed - even if that means they end up with less in the future.

Keep having to remind myself of that, it’s so short sighted.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/artofrostov/status/1590353068729995264?t=_NpqcVBO0LOMTAgZ9HPNmQ&s=19

Mote on the Disco Elysium fuckery.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

sinky posted:

You need a physician :smug:

When I started my physics degree, I was doing a holiday job as a care assistant in a residential home and some of the other care assistants started asking me what I was doing at college. I said 'physics'. The response was either "are you going to be a physician" or "is that PE".
I soon discovered that the best answer was 'science'. That was enough for most. If they wanted more info I gave it.
But yeah, nowadays if I'm flying I don't mention the Dr bit and in other walks of life if I'm asked what sort of Dr I am I say "not the useful kind". Again, that's enough for most people. They only get more info if they ask for it.

Rarity posted:

AI machine learning is still effected by whatever human biases its creators bring with them and you can bet anyone investigating toxicity against politicians is coming at it from a 'stop telling us we're wrong' perspective

AI getting it a bit wrong - identifying cancers by the presence of a ruler not the actual lesion:

quote:

He points to the example of the neural network that famously had reached a level of accuracy comparable to human dermatologists at diagnosing malignant skin lesions. However, a closer examination of the model’s saliency methods revealed that the single most influential thing this model was looking for in a picture of someone’s skin was the presence of a ruler. Because medical images of cancerous lesions include a ruler for scale, the model learned to identify the presence of a ruler as a marker of malignancy, because that’s much easier than telling the difference between different kinds of lesions.

https://venturebeat.com/business/when-ai-flags-the-ruler-not-the-tumor-and-other-arguments-for-abolishing-the-black-box-vb-live/

Barry Foster posted:

it's cos covid is over, innit

Anyway, what Fuct said is also heartening, I'd honestly just turn up and try your proverbial and literal arm

So many people have got covid now - just about everyone I know has either got it, had it, or has family members who have it.
Just now another one who was in the office on Monday emailed round to say she's got it, only picked up because she was visiting a very elderly and vulnerable relative in a care home where they test before people are allowed in, otherwise oblivious. Seriously annoying because I'm going for a long weekend to see my elderly aunt which we've been trying to arrange for yonks. I tested negative this morning though and the office person didn't come too near me on Monday but was ensconced in a meeting room with several others at close quarters so hopefully I'll be fine. So far managed not to catch it.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 9, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

if I'm asked what sort of Dr I am I say "not the useful kind".
What if they really need to know the cross product of two vectors?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

But yeah, nowadays if I'm flying I don't mention the Dr bit and in other walks of life if I'm asked what sort of Dr I am I say "not the useful kind". Again, that's enough for most people. They only get more info if they ask for it.

Tbh I pretty much only use the "Dr." for booking flights, it would be kinda lame to use it in a professional capacity (standard is just to put MD or PhD at the end of your email sig).

If some steward wants to invite me to perform an emergency tracheotomy on a distressed passenger, I'll thank them for the opportunity and do the best I can.

And gently caress this "useful kind" stuff - I'm the kind of doctor that makes the drugs that the so-called "doctors" (many of whom have no doctorate degree) end up prescribing. I own you.

This is mostly facetious. Medics do some good work, but society puts them on a weird pedestal where they are simultaneously venerated and abused

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

What if they really need to know the cross product of two vectors?

There is that of course.
If they ask further, I do indicate my field but as it is a narrow field it would probably doxx me more than I have already doxxed myself on here!

Failed Imagineer posted:

And gently caress this "useful kind" stuff - I'm the kind of doctor that makes the drugs that the so-called "doctors" (many of whom have no doctorate degree) end up prescribing. I own you.

I'm the useful kind if you want to ..... the interaction between .... and ...... My main paper (2001) is over 200 citations now and considering I didn't pursue a career in academia once I got the wretched thing, I don't think that's too bad going :) especially when the very simple model has been used successfully on other .... in the ..... and takes considerably less time to run (a minute or two) than the main numerical simulation tools which can take months to set up and run.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 9, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Plenty of people here have posted enough to allow for jigsaw identification doxxing. The key is to be so boring and uncontroversial that no one would ever be bothered, at least that's what I'm counting on

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

Plenty of people here have posted enough to allow for jigsaw identification doxxing. The key is to be so boring and uncontroversial that no one would ever be bothered, at least that's what I'm counting on

Unfortunately, I have an enemy - not kidding. A very very nasty piece of work.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Oddly, the fact that the capitalist assholes who stole the company were stupid enough to break the law in the process comes as a bit of a relief. It seems like it gives the original creators a much clearer (if far from guaranteed) path towards clawing back what was taken from them.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Unfortunately, I have an enemy - not kidding. A very very nasty piece of work.

Sorry to hear that. In more serious posting I don't think you've ever really given away anything more than "older female goon, no kids, small flat somewhere in Wales, worked for the trains, physics mage, likes biscuits, metal, various goony interests". Which is probably enough for a Tinder profile but not much else

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Good. Let's see how many more politicians embarrass themselves talking about how Nurses should be grateful for what they have and striking is pointless like that oval office this morning did.

Absolutely huge news

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm sure they can be won round with the clap.

Fake edit: Sorry, a clap.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

How cow its Sidney Poitier

Why'd you do the Jackal remake, man, it spoiled me being a I Only Know One Fact About Something Guy*: SP only did high class movies that would make his parents proud

* e.g. Did you know Lovecraft was a racist??!? Diogenes lived in a barrel?!?! James Joyce wrote grotty letters!

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

Good. Let's see how many more politicians embarrass themselves talking about how Nurses should be grateful for what they have and striking is pointless like that oval office this morning did.

Absolutely huge news

https://twitter.com/SteveBarclay/status/1590360946454958082?s=20&t=fWPgk3psTeLX4n7BJpTx9g
https://twitter.com/SteveBarclay/status/1590361249195339778?s=20&t=fWPgk3psTeLX4n7BJpTx9g

oval office

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I'm sure they can be won round with the clap.

Fake edit: Sorry, a clap.

too late I'm sleeping with every nurse I can find and seeing what spreads

Oct 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/Thrubeingcool2/status/1590381163813961729

Testro
May 2, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

Did you need to take anything with you to prove this? My family's circumstances have sadly changed and one of the household will be immunosuppressed during treatment.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

Oddly, the fact that the capitalist assholes who stole the company were stupid enough to break the law in the process comes as a bit of a relief. It seems like it gives the original creators a much clearer (if far from guaranteed) path towards clawing back what was taken from them.
I mean you bring up a great point, which is that the courts and estonian equivalent of the SEC don't give a poo poo about what's morally wrong here, but the fact that they might have beoken the rules is what's got them to pay attention and try to right it. Big 'filled out the wrong forms' energy.

In other news gently caress Wes Streeting:

https://twitter.com/AvaSantina/status/1590361875081928704?t=kgzX4lS7-jxV4Q9b18gFpg&s=19

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Testro posted:

Did you need to take anything with you to prove this? My family's circumstances have sadly changed and one of the household will be immunosuppressed during treatment.

Nope. I booked it online and it was an option, but when I went to the actual place they looked me up on the appointments and there were no further questions asked. You count, so just book it online as such.

EDIT gently caress Wes Streeting

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/damiengayle/status/1590398050203467777
https://twitter.com/theyorkmix/status/1590301942483648512

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 9, 2022

Testro
May 2, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

Nope. I booked it online and it was an option, but when I went to the actual place they looked me up on the appointments and there were no further questions asked. You count, so just book it online as such.

EDIT gently caress Wes Streeting

Thanks mate, much appreciated.

Fully agree with your edit too.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Poultry in motion :dadjoke:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Did he land a hit on Brian or what? I’ve not seen any pictures of an eggy King

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

TACD posted:

Did he land a hit on Brian or what? I’ve not seen any pictures of an eggy King

This meme but unironically.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I don’t expect much of these neo-Blairite fucks but that Streeting thing has really sent me over the edge with anger. A Shadow Health Secretary using senility as an insult should be an insta-sacking. If it isn’t then they can well and truly go gently caress themselves

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

eggy king should be the new coronation chicken

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
So sunak was at prime minister's questions today then. It's that why he left that stage in Egypt so smartish?

Not really on that, flying over there for such a short stay. Hope everyone gives him a hard time over it.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

gently caress off Barclay you massive twat, your big problem here is that you are now reaping what that last 10 years of Tory suffocation has done to the profession.

The fact that the 3% is being wheeled out here is laughable - remember that you offered 1.5% first?
But more importantly all the years of 1% or nothing pay rises are the big issue here. That and binning bursaries for nurses to train have crippled the profession and put it so far behind anything similar.

Please continue not to talk to the unions as well, that has worked out amazingly with the rail unions - I wouldn't bank on people having appointments cancelled being enough to turn the public against nurses.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
The idea that some people have internally normalized accepting scraps when there is so, so much more on the table is absolutely wild to me.

Moreso that it's been so normalized that the only guy who would've restored some union rights was handed the largest political defeat in modern English history.

Oh well, another checkmark for "glad I emmigrated."

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Nilbop posted:

The idea that some people have internally normalized accepting scraps when there is so, so much more on the table is absolutely wild to me.

Moreso that it's been so normalized that the only guy who would've restored some union rights was handed the largest political defeat in modern English history.

Oh well, another checkmark for "glad I emmigrated."

There are a lot of voters that want to vote to make things worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

A dark day as Twitter user Dr Robert Zands has been suspended.

Elon has killed the bird site.