Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

John Wick of Dogs posted:

What's the best way to shop steam deals?
There's a few answers to this:

Steam has (roughly) quarterly sales in which much of the store is on sale at the lowest prices:
  • Autumn Sale 2022 (November 22-29)
  • Winter Sale 2022 (December 22-January 5)
  • Spring Sale 2023 (March 16-23)
  • Summer Sale (not announced yet for 2023).
Retail key stores will usually also have sales that lag Steam's own, like GMG usually has a summer sale in July, Gamesplanet in August, etc.

Steam will occasionally have smaller/thematic sales around certain holidays: Halloween, Lunar New Year, etc., and week long sales on a good number of items, refreshed every Monday. The prices aren't usually as good as the quarterly sales, but they're good enough. Otherwise you'll see publisher or event related sales show up from time-to-time. For example, Bethesda puts most of their catalog on sale during Quakecon.

As for third-party stuff I usually follow Wario64 for new sales/bundles. GG.deals is a good site to figure out if a specific title is on sale. It's a good way to figure out if a new release is 10-20% off somewhere.

You can also use SteamDB and GG.deals to look at historical prices for a game or bundle to see if a current sale price is the lowest, or how often a game actually goes on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Also Augmented Steam is a good extension to install. It'll show you the lowest price from a bunch of legitimate websites on the store page. It looks like this:

Edit: just noticed that I happened to randomly choose one that has an error :lmao:

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

speaking of augmented steam, i bet there's a poster here who knows this. viewing your wishlist, it only shows the deals when you mouseover. is there a way to snip a line of code to make them persistent/static? i'm assuming the markup on extensions is visible

to answer the poster's question, if you're patient you never have to pay full price for a game, except what was it... factorio, rimworld, and games that are completely abandoned? somebody cracked; rimworld is actually at a small discount on fanatical rn

Mescal fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 9, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

There are reports of people getting Saints Row 2 working but I can't seem to get it to load on any proton version. Anyone have any luck with it?

Got it, need a particular proton compatibility

E: or not, hmm. Suggestions were Proton 6.3 or GE Proton 7-30 through ProtonUP but the game just takes slightly longer to crash with those lol

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 9, 2022

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

This portable charging brick with hdmi out is pretty dope:

https://www.jsaux.com/products/3-in-1-45w-charger-dock-for-steam-deck-hc4503

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

tater_salad posted:

also just add poo poo to your wishlist and then wait for the e-mail that says it's on sale.
edit: or periodically check your wishlist.

This is the method. Everything that's even slightly interesting goes on the wishlist. I think I have 700 games on there. Then I sort wishlist by discount. That's the only way I ever shop on Steam. During big sales the discounted list is huge, but even on regular weeks there are a few things on there to consider.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

HopperUK posted:

This is the method. Everything that's even slightly interesting goes on the wishlist. I think I have 700 games on there. Then I sort wishlist by discount. That's the only way I ever shop on Steam. During big sales the discounted list is huge, but even on regular weeks there are a few things on there to consider.

Yeah this is exactly how I do it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Just got my official dock today and I'm having trouble getting the audio to output either to the HDMI port or the headphone jack, the Deck is only outputting to its own speakers. I've gotten the headphone jack to work before, so I wonder if it's something to do with the dock.

Also the dock is a lot smaller than I expected.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Gay Retard posted:

This portable charging brick with hdmi out is pretty dope:
Woah it's a better/cheaper Genki Covert Dock. Even Switch compatible.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

What's the best way to shop steam deals? I've heard how much everything is on sale, but actual steam prices look fairly normal retail, it looks like the sales are usually on other sites that give you the code like humble bundle, is there a good site for seeing what is on sale on steam and where?

Similar to dekudeals.com ? That one covers the consoles.

The best way to shop for Steam Deals is to gamble on Fanatical mystery key bundles!

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/birthday-mystery-bundle

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

The best way to shop for Steam Deals is to gamble on Fanatical mystery key bundles!

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/birthday-mystery-bundle

lol I saw that earlier

Also this seems like a great deck game. It's another take on VS / Brotato. Its $9.99 and pretty feature complete for an EA game

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2066020/Soulstone_Survivors/

quote:

Soulstone Survivors is an action roguelite where you slay hordes of foes and face titanic bosses while learning powerful skills to enhance your character. Play as a Void Hunter, and with the spoils of every match craft weapons, unlock new characters, upgrade your skill tree and equip new runes, all in your quest for godlike powers.

With deep RPG mechanics intertwined with Roguelite elements, Soulstone Survivors offers a condensed, yet deep Action RPG experience:

Explore almost 150 unique Active Skills (and growing!);
Unlock and play with 14 Characters, with many more to come;
Experiment with hundreds of Passive Skills and Runes to customize your characters;
Progress through the Skill Tree with your Soulstones;
Face and defeat powerful Bosses;
Choose Curses that increase your challenge in interesting ways;
Overcome extreme challenges to craft legendary weapons;
Complete dozens of achievements and unlock new powers;

Edit: I did get a few steam deck games from that bundle so it wasn't a complete loss,

Incredible Dracula: Chasing Love Collector's Edition
My Time At Portia
Shift Happens
RIOT - Civil Unrest
Rebel Galaxy
Cook Serve Delicious! 3?!
Fractured Minds
Rose Riddle: Fairy Tale Detective
Valfaris
A New Beginning - Final Cut

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 10, 2022

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Is Vampire Survivors really going to be the next big gaming "genre" that everyone is going to copy the poo poo out of just to get a slice of that pie? VS itself has enough of it that you'll be plenty bored with the concept but now there's a sea of them. It's like how everything wanted (and still wants) to be Dark Souls if it's a 3D action title, and even some 2D ones.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

sigher posted:

Is Vampire Survivors really going to be the next big gaming "genre" that everyone is going to copy the poo poo out of just to get a slice of that pie? VS itself has enough of it that you'll be plenty bored with the concept but now there's a sea of them. It's like how everything wanted (and still wants) to be Dark Souls if it's a 3D action title, and even some 2D ones.

There's already several clones, one of which is VTuber themed which is fairly popular as far as I can tell.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Welp I give up, I'm totally baffled why SR2 just crashes instantly on startup, I don't seem to be doing anything different than anyone else who got it working, it seems like for anyone it's basically just put it to a compatibility mode but it just doesn't launch (unless I use Steam's linux runtime, where it launches into an error report lol). I wonder if it's because of a directx thing?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

getting Long War mod for Xcom 2 to work on the deck seems to be a pain in the rear end. The game's default mod launcher won't recognize Long War of the Chosen so you have to use the alt launcher but it's a windows executable so there's some long rear end directions on reddit to get it work but I haven't managed to get through them yet.

Does Xcom2 work well enough to be even worth this bother on the deck?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

There's already several clones, one of which is VTuber themed which is fairly popular as far as I can tell.

Holocure is popular both because of vtubers and also because it’s the only one of the Vampire Survivors clones that understands why it works. To the point where even people who don’t give a poo poo about Hololive can enjoy it. Also it’s free which always helps, even when the peak of the genre is $5. Every other VS clone tries to add complexity or mechanics to the game and flops hard because that’s not why people are playing VS.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
What's the deal w/ Vampire Survivors anyway? I've put a few hours into it and so far it's just a twin stick shooter that replaces one stick w/ level ups and unlocks, and I usually get bored w/ a run and want to quit well before I actually get gonked. Does it Frog Fractions at some point? IDGI.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The powerups have have evolutions when combined with other ones. But also there’s the general number goes up aspect and trying to make your character so powerful that the CPU melts your computer/Steam Deck. It’s fun.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

FuriousGeorge posted:

What's the deal w/ Vampire Survivors anyway? I've put a few hours into it and so far it's just a twin stick shooter that replaces one stick w/ level ups and unlocks, and I usually get bored w/ a run and want to quit well before I actually get gonked. Does it Frog Fractions at some point? IDGI.

It's fun to play. If you don't enjoy it then it is quite possible you're a bit too good at it so it's unengaging.

I like VS, Nomad Survivors, Brotato and Spellbook Demonslayer. But I am very bad at games and have yet to beat any of them on any kind of higher level or increased difficulty. They're good podcast/youtube games. And they all play great on the Deck.

Oh! Boneraiser Minions! That's a really good one.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

FuriousGeorge posted:

You unlock system level stuff and things can get a little bonkers. Not to the level of Frog Fractions but still an enjoyable time in my opinion.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

FuriousGeorge posted:

I also thought the first couple hours were boring but it does start to ramp up eventually and has a surprising amount of esoteric depth that I didn't expect. You kind of have to be down for unlock hunting, thats like your overall goal, and if you get into it its a fun collectathon. I honestly would not have put nearly as much time into as I have without the deck though

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I added a Forum to the Discord with an Emulation "megathread," with links and whatnot. Kinda neat.

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

if you dont like vampire survivors there is something profoundly broken in you as human being and i feel terrible for you.

or, youve evolved beyond humanity, either way

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Risutora posted:

if you dont like vampire survivors there is something profoundly broken in you as human being and i feel terrible for you.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1589633781853552643

Probably will highlight quite a few good Steam Deck games
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyQrcFyO_jY

Yeah all of these are coming to Steam as well if they aren't already there.

I remember playing the demo of Goodbye World on the deck a couple of nextfests ago, it runs well and seems pretty fun, even if the conceit of playing an 8bit gameboy game inside of a world that already has a 16bit indie game aesthetic seems kind of... cheap?

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

FuriousGeorge posted:

It's just compulsive. Very "one more run". Also it's possible to essentially become a God, melting literally thousands of enemies just by walking through them whilst spitting down fire and thunder, and you're constantly collecting things and watching numbers go up while that's happening.

Perfect Deck game, too. Runs great (and cool and quiet), easy pick up and play value and you can fit complete runs into short sessions.

I'm good with VS though. It's a one and done genre for me. A friend has gifted me that Soulstone one which I'll take a look at, but VS is simple and effective enough that I'm not angling for another one.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Isn't vampire survivors a rip-off of the mobile game Magic Survival? Man, that dev must be pissed.

Edit: 'rip-off', 'heavily inspired by', whatever.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It was the inspiration, but Magic Survivors is microtransaction hell.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

maybe the bad dev should have made a good game like the vampuire survivor guy did

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

F.D. Signifier posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyQrcFyO_jY

Yeah all of these are coming to Steam as well if they aren't already there.

I remember playing the demo of Goodbye World on the deck a couple of nextfests ago, it runs well and seems pretty fun, even if the conceit of playing an 8bit gameboy game inside of a world that already has a 16bit indie game aesthetic seems kind of... cheap?

I don’t think Sports Story is coming to Steam. No page yet and Golf Story never did.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

njsykora posted:

It was the inspiration, but Magic Survivors is microtransaction hell.

Is it? I didn't notice that when I was playing it a while ago.

That game definitely gave me more than my fill of 'power up so you don't actually have to do anything', and I genuinely don't understand the appeal after maybe 2 hours.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

sigher posted:

I think it's gonna be like tower defense games, where there's gonna be a peak of a couple years then they'll fade into the background.

I'm just holding out for a VS-like that is both fun and has good art direction. VS' colour palette gives me a headache, which is almost a good thing as it makes anything more than a single run unbearable.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Once more I'll throw in a recommendation for Chronicon (35% off on Fanatical atm) for folks looking for something a bit more active than Vampire Survivors.
Only 6 hours in but last night I got an item that removes the cooldown & mana cost from the Dragon Leap skill so for like an hour I just held down the right trigger to leap around, causing AoE fire to kill everything in range when I landed.
Bumped it up to the middle difficulty and still haven't had to use a single potion, still only have died once.
Dumb, mindless fun.

So basically A.S.S game Automated Shooter Survivor, thanks Jeff Gerstmann if you want it to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9kJj2fhHrM
This video has been useful for tips so far.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

AfricanBootyShine posted:

I think it's gonna be like tower defense games, where there's gonna be a peak of a couple years then they'll fade into the background.

I'm just holding out for a VS-like that is both fun and has good art direction. VS' colour palette gives me a headache, which is almost a good thing as it makes anything more than a single run unbearable.

Both Boneraiser Minions and 20 Minutes Till Dawn are VS-likes that are a lot easier on the eyes, and imo better games.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I love the Steam Deck and I love playing Valheim with my wife and our friends.

That is all.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/TheMakoReactor/...ingawful.com%2F

Yet another perfect steam deck game.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Anybody tried the new sonic on this thing?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I played it briefly via an emulator and already knew this to be true.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Anybody tried the new sonic on this thing?

Frontiers has some issues with Proton right now. There's a lot of flickering when the framerate changes so you have to set the graphics down low enough that it can hold a steady 30/40/ whatever. Outside of that it plays pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

sigher posted:

I know I'm currently working on a clone though I'm trying to be a little more thoughtful about it (for what little that'll get me).

njsykora posted:

Holocure is popular both because of vtubers and also because it’s the only one of the Vampire Survivors clones that understands why it works. To the point where even people who don’t give a poo poo about Hololive can enjoy it. Also it’s free which always helps, even when the peak of the genre is $5. Every other VS clone tries to add complexity or mechanics to the game and flops hard because that’s not why people are playing VS.

I'd be curious on your thoughts as to why Vampire Survivors works.

Thirsty Dog posted:

Both Boneraiser Minions and 20 Minutes Till Dawn are VS-likes that are a lot easier on the eyes, and imo better games.

I didn't think either were as good as Vampire Survivors, though 20 Minutes Til Dawn definitely looked better. Though both of them were actually a bit harder to visually parse in-action than VS.

I found Brotato at least as good as VS if not maybe better, and had a cohesive (if simple) visual design.