Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

quote:

He left his shoes and bag in the hall, right in the way, when his parents came over his dad tripped over his bag and broke his nose on the radiator. When they asked why the bag was there I just looked at him and said "thats your bag isnt it?"

I would pay an absurd amount of money to have a video of this, lmaooooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

op suffering through it instead of dumping him right away was worth it for that alone, because ol daddy brokenose was almost certainly where that dude learned his strats

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's a fun read and all, but why would OP do this to themselves? Putting up with disgusting dishes and terrible food because you want to prove a point to someone you don't want to be with anyway?

She was probably holding out hope that he would change. When he admitted he was being lovely on purpose (with presumably no remorse) it actually hit the breaking point. Kinda a bummer it still says “we broke up,” not “I dumped his rear end.”

Some people struggle to recognize their own agency in relationships and play dumb passive aggressive games instead of just…hitting da bricks.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Here's someone we can all agree to hate! :buddy:

AITA for canceling the plans for thanksgiving after my parents called my brother’s baby their “first grandchild”?

Read through this twice, and on the first read through missed the bonus layer of the OP being in a lesbian relationship which is probably an extra level of why their kids aren't recognized as 'real' grandchildren

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

sephiRoth IRA posted:

AITA for canceling the plans for thanksgiving after my parents called my brother’s baby their “first grandchild”?

I’m so glad my ex-inlaws never pulled this poo poo with exBIL’s stepchildren. Those kids became family as soon as MIL and FIL met them. My ex-inlaws was good people.

Edit: I’m pretty sure my mom would also react in a non-lovely way if, like, my sister remarried and there were now additional children to be grandkids along with the current grandkids.

And I’m pretty sure this would stand if my homophobic sister suddenly realized she was pansexual and married a woman with kids.

Bored fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 11, 2022

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

teen witch posted:

Addendum because I think my mind is just gone rn: if there are any instances of lovely ableist attitudes or behavior that I or others have missed please let me know. I might not pick up on it!

Alternatively, you can mitigate it by not engaging in such behavior

I have one. Can we please cut down on calling abusers and abusive behavior things like 'psychotic' / 'psycho' or 'sociopathic' or 'narcissistic'? Mental illness doesn't make one inherently an abuser, and having such illnesses like psychosis does have higher rates of being victims of abuse.

We can just call people assholes. Or abusers. Or hell, go the tumblr route and call them fudging meaners. Or the cowpoke route of things like 'egg sucking horse thieves'. Let's get creative.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
As someone who sucks eggs, I

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
AITA for eating my SIL's gummy bears because I had a pregnancy craving?

quote:

I'm (26f) 6 months pregnant. My fiance R's (28m) sister L (20f) attends a school in our area. She's living with us for a bit, before she moves into a new apartment at the end of this month.

I love gummy candy but limiting myself due to my pregnancy. I had a sudden craving for gummy bears yesterday. We had a bag in the pantry that L bought, and there were only a few left.

L saw the gummy bears were finished and she got really upset, saying I know she bought them and they were for her. R found out and he got pissed at me too, saying L could've needed them and I could've gone to the store or he could've bought some later. I got kind of emotional and said I didn't think it was such a big deal, and L keeps other candy.

L is still upset and R isn't happy either, so AITA?

quote:

OP has offered the following explanation for why they think they might be the rear end in a top hat:

quote:

I ate my SIL's gummy bears, and she got upset. I might've been selfish and uncaring because she has diabetes, making me the AH.

:thunk:

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

value-brand cereal posted:

I have one. Can we please cut down on calling abusers and abusive behavior things like 'psychotic' / 'psycho' or 'sociopathic' or 'narcissistic'? Mental illness doesn't make one inherently an abuser, and having such illnesses like psychosis does have higher rates of being victims of abuse.

We can just call people assholes. Or abusers. Or hell, go the tumblr route and call them fudging meaners. Or the cowpoke route of things like 'egg sucking horse thieves'. Let's get creative.

I think narcissistic describes a lot of behaviors demonstrated in these posts without it specifically attaching to people with diagnosed narcissism. That said I'm betting some of the worst monster in-laws we've seen in this thread are part of the narcissism spectrum disorder, group b or whatever

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

value-brand cereal posted:

As long as we don’t say fudging meaners, god please. This is a threat. I am threatening everyone.

But yes, I do think rethinking what we call assholes is well worth a shot.

I don’t expect perfection, but I do expect conscientiousness and creativity.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

calling someone a fudging meaner sounds pretty psychotic to me

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I've never wanted to call someone that before but now I do, out of sheer obstinacy :sigh:

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for telling my friend her boyfriend can’t come to my party because of a comment he made to my boyfriend?

quote:

This is a throwaway post. I invite people to comment who will not be judgmental about my relationship situation. That is not the point here. You’ll see what I mean.

So I (23F) have a boyfriend of 6 months (44M) and he’s fantastic. Seriously age is just a number. I’m not getting into that though. One of my best friends, Tess, is dating a guy, Jared. They’re both my age. There was an instance when I had people over a few months ago. Tess and Jared were there. My boyfriend ended up coming over after work. He introduced himself to Jared and Jared laughed at him and said “dude how old are you what the hell”. My boyfriend approached me later that night. He was really upset and sad. He told me “I knew I shouldn’t have come” and he’s sorry if anyone is uncomfortable.

But like gently caress that. He’s my boyfriend. He has every right to hangout and he absolutely shouldn’t have to be dealing with comments like what Jared said. My boyfriend is the sweetest human on earth and he is sensitive. So I know what Jared said really hurt him.

Jared is kind of a jerk in general. He’s not a bigot or anything but he has a mean sense of humor and will make comments like that. Like he also was telling the whole group that night how creepy he thought my boyfriend was when he did absolutely nothing wrong.

I have a birthday party coming up and I told Tess that Jared isn’t invited. She got angry and told me that if he can’t go she won’t go. That hurt me because I consider her a very good friend. She even told me she wants me to be happy but at the same time doesn’t necessarily think Jared’s comments are invalid. This really upset me and we haven’t talked since. aita ?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The Lord of Hats posted:

There was a weeks-long concrete promise of "I will be there for your field trip" that she last-minute cancelled, and replaced with a vague, offhanded promise of "I'll make it up to you." And I really don't see that promise coming through--it's a platitude with no actual thought behind it. How is she going to make it up? It can't just be "following through on another promise", it has to be something above and beyond, and there really doesn't seem to be a plan there. It's going to get forgotten by the mom, but it sure won't by the daughter.

Does anyone in those reddit posts ever ask the OP "what do you have in mind in terms of making it up to them? what does that look like to you? when do you think you will be able to do it?"

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for telling my friend her boyfriend can’t come to my party because of a comment he made to my boyfriend?
This is a throwaway post. I invite people to comment who will not be judgmental about my relationship situation. That is not the point here. You’ll see what I mean.

So I (23F) have a boyfriend of 6 months (44M)

yta

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Evil Willow posted:

Honestly “dude how old are you what the hell” is a pretty legit question

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Evil Willow posted:

As much as it seems like the 44yo dating the 23yo is the reasonable person in this situation, I have to say dude, how old are you what the hell, stop being a creep

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Evil Willow posted:

quote:

dude how old are you what the hell

That one really made me laugh. I've known folks in gap relationships on that order that seem to work, as far as I can tell from the outside, but it's always gonna raise questions in my mind. I've just never been blunt enough to put it that way.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for making a teacher change my son's grade?

I never had to do this and am glad; my mom is adopted so her tree would have been poo poo, and my dad's extended family doesn't talk to each other.

Reddit had another reason:

Y'all are just reminding me of this assignment one of my worst teachers gave where we had to tell a story that we learned from our family and a lesson we learned from it. More than one of us had massive problems with that assignment. One guy was like "Oh, so do you want one of the many racist stories I was told and how the moral was 'black people steal'?" The teacher was a new teacher and literally could not imagine any student not having some wholesome story our family taught us to teach us values or whatever.

This was in college, btw.

sephiRoth IRA posted:

she doesn’t want this to ruin my niece’s first thanksgiving.

They couldn't shut the gently caress up about the niece being more important than the other kids even there!

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 11, 2022

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Absolutely creepy for a dude in his mid 40s to be hanging out with a bunch of young 20 somethings.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
I searched "age gap" looking for stories, came across this one and it was too good to pass up. I can only assume it's been posted before

AITA for cancelling a years awaited trip over a boy?

quote:

throwaway bc sister knows my main

When my (f22) little sister (f19) was 14 i promised her I’d take her on a two week trip of her choosing when she graduated high school. We’ve spent the last five years planning the ultimate trip and I’ve been saving since I made the promise. It obviously got postponed and now that everything has been open again for a bit, we’re aiming to go next month.

My sisters boyfriend (m18) kind of sucks. He’s great to her, but they are viciously in the honeymoon phase and the last five months have been lovely for our friends and I. We have a lot of mutual friends because our age gap isn’t huge, so I’ve heard plenty of stories of him showing up to girls nights because she invited him without telling anyone, every time we go to a movie even if we say don’t invite him, he’s at the theatre when we get there and they spend the whole movie borderline loving. He has consumed every snack in my apartment on multiple occasions with no reimbursement, gets embarrassingly high every time i see him (i smoke regularly, but there’s a level of high you jus shouldn’t get around other people) They’re literally inseparable and there’s been a few disagreements because she is very obvious about the fact that we’re all backups for when he’s busy.

Well last week she said he had taken the time off work to go on the trip with us. Didn’t even ask, just said it like we’d already talked about it and he was invited. They expected me to pay his portion and be fine with third wheeling the whole trip. I laughed until I realized she was serious and said absolutely not. She whined that he’d already taken the days off, which i feel bad about but he wasn’t invited. She wouldn’t drop it and said she wouldn’t go if he couldn’t come, so I said fine. No trip. Whatever.

We haven’t spoken since and I feel like maybe I should’ve just dealt with it. Our friends are glad someone finally said something but think maybe taking the trip was a little much. AITA?

edit: to clarify a bit on the money thing, she seemed to think that since I was paying for her and the trip was for her that if she brought someone I would cover that too because the trip was a gift. I’ve known I was going to pay for her from the start, it IS a gift, I just didn’t think I’d have to put a one person only limit in the deal.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
Good find. I don't remember seeing that one before.

WIBTA to ask someone to return a baby gift i want a more expensive version of?

quote:

im having my first child in a couple of weeks and my in laws asked what i was missing to buy for the baby. i sent a link to a playpen that i wanted to get for the baby which is $125 on sale from $180. it is the color i want, with music and vibration features. it has multiple pockets and a big space for pampers bottles etc. plus it has near perfect reviews. yesterday my SIL showed me the one they got me which is $90 but in a color i don’t like, with a smaller area to put baby things and no outside pocket. it was like they didn’t put in the effort to order the one i wanted and ordered the first one they saw at target. personally i feel awkward with these things and just said thank you and its cute but i truly don’t want it.

WIBTA to request they return it and get the one i asked for and sent the link to?

edit: some people seem to think im being entitled so maybe i didn’t give enough information. the playpen i actually wanted is only $35 more than the one they got which means less than $20 a person would be spent extra. and why ask for what i want if you’re going to get whatever you want? im due in two weeks… they had months to get me the more affordable things on my registry. when they facetimed me to show me the gift they said that they liked the one they chose better because it was cute…. not because of monetary reasons. something cute over something i researched and picked out….

and if i just return it without them knowing they will be hurt when they see i don’t have it in my house

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Invisible Clergy posted:

quote:

and if i just return it without them knowing they will be hurt when they see i don’t have it in my house

As opposed to telling them up front that you don't want it, and that they need to pay extra for the privilege of giving you the one you do want :shuckyes:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I feel like she's NTA because she pointed out the one she wanted first. The in-laws took that and bought her a cheaper one that she didn't ask for

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I searched "age gap" looking for stories, came across this one and it was too good to pass up. I can only assume it's been posted before

AITA for cancelling a years awaited trip over a boy?

Seems new to me. Ah, to be that young and dumb!

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Evil Willow posted:

quote:

Seriously age is just a number.

a phrase you never want to see in a reddit post

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
r/relationships: Dude how old are you what the hell

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Kurieg posted:

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Midnight Voyager posted:

Y'all are just reminding me of this assignment one of my worst teachers gave where we had to tell a story that we learned from our family and a lesson we learned from it. More than one of us had massive problems with that assignment. One guy was like "Oh, so do you want one of the many racist stories I was told and how the moral was 'black people steal'?" The teacher was a new teacher and literally could not imagine any student not having some wholesome story our family taught us to teach us values or whatever.

This was in college, btw.

In 6th grade we had a thing where we had to interview and record on tape our grandparents talking about their lives and ask them various pertinent questions etc. Well, my grandmother ended up having dementia at the end of her life but was mentally unwell for most of it before that too. I followed the best practice indicated by the teacher of giving her the questions and talking through them before recording (like going okay I'm going to ask you about this this and this) and asked her if she was okay with me asking about her husband (my grandpa) who had died in the 50s and she was like yep all good, no problem at all. Well, two minutes later I put on the tape to record her and ask her about my grandpa and she starts sobbing inconsolably and asks me how dare I ask her about that and such.

Really really great project, definitely didn't gently caress me up at all.

vvv edit : agreed - my mom is still mad about the super expensive crib she insisted on buying that hasn't ever been used, that I told her I didn't need.

hallo spacedog fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 12, 2022

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Invisible Clergy posted:

NTA. Keeping the home clean and organized is hard, doing it with a baby is a nightmare, and as callous as it sounds it's real hard to make room for poo poo you don't want and don't need.

It piles up fast, too. My garage is about 80% gifts family members bought and I need to dig them out for display whenever they visit.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I'm 44 and the idea of dating a 23-year-old fills me with dismay. Eww.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
oh god, can you imagine? they'd ask you about the latest bands, want to go to music festivals in the summer heat, ask you to help them make tiktok vids, etc. i'm finally free of having to be on top of all the new poo poo, no one is pulling me back in!

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

HopperUK posted:

I'm 44 and the idea of dating a 23-year-old fills me with dismay. Eww.

I am 39 and the thought of hanging out with 20 something year olds makes me want to jump off a bridge.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Narcissism is just a personality trait. It's not a diagnosis of NPD. And, I think it's generally correctly applied, unlike when people use psychotic to describe someone who is mean or angry, or sociopathic to describe someone who is selfish. Those are inaccurate labels.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Still lolling that the 23 year old dunked on the 44 year old so hard he started moping, just by asking how old he was

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Danaru posted:

Still lolling that the 23 year old dunked on the 44 year old so hard he started moping, just by asking how old he was

Yeah like, if you're 44 and dating a 23 year-old, and you don't see that coming, you really are lamer than loving lame.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah like, if you're 44 and dating a 23 year-old, and you don't see that coming, you really are lamer than loving lame.

If you can't handle that question and you're in an age gap relationship like that, your age gap relationship is not remotely as functional as you think it is. You should expect that FIRST THING.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

StrangersInTheNight posted:

oh god, can you imagine? they'd ask you about the latest bands, want to go to music festivals in the summer heat, ask you to help them make tiktok vids, etc. i'm finally free of having to be on top of all the new poo poo, no one is pulling me back in!

I'm 45 and still love going to music festivals, the ones at the wineries are fantastic! One of the people I regularly attend these with is 20 - my sister's kid. Hanging out with a bunch of early 20 year olds would not be my idea of a good time at all!

And a bit of content:

AITA for expecting accommodation for my vegan boyfriend from my mom at Thanksgiving?.

quote:

My f24 mom had invited us to thanksgiving with her and the family. I called her saying that I'll accept the invite on one condition and that is to make sure that my vegan boyfriend m25 is accommodated. She asked what that meant and I sent her a list of options to cook for him since he can't be having any meals that contain meat and the main dish at thanksgiving is obviously meat. She got back to me later calling ridiculous for expecting her to cook an "elaborate" meal for my boyfriend. I told her I was just making sure he'll have something to eat when the time comes but she turned it back on me asking why don't I choose a meal from the list I sent her and cook it for him myself and bring it. This was a hard no from because for one, she's the host. And besides that I'm busy with school and she should consider how I sacrificed my study time to come celebrate thanksgiving with her and the family. She said that I was out of line and hung up. Dad called me and was furious sayin he could not believe this "attitude" I'm giving about the whole thing but I said that I was just making sure that my boyfriend who's a guest at their event, is accomodated that's all. We had an argument and he hung up upon telling me to get over myself.

We haven't talked after that. My siblings want me to attend but mom thinks it's unfair what I'm asking of her.

AITA?

ADD: My boyfriend didn't think that bringing a meal would be appropriate, he thought my parents might see it as "disrespectful".

Second of all, My parents are fine with me not contributing to thanksgiving they just wanted me to attend and so do my siblings. I can choose not go if I could but then my parents will think I'm punishing them or something. They will think that I'm holding my presence at the event over their head.

Evil Willow fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 12, 2022

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for expecting accommodation for my vegan boyfriend from my mom at Thanksgiving?.

Is it really that big of a deal to hold the butter on a couple of sides if there's going to be a vegan at the table?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

B-Rock452 posted:

I am 39 and the thought of hanging out with 20 something year olds makes me want to jump off a bridge.

I'm 39 and, over the last year, have become good friends with a 20-year-old that I work with. She's great, we have a lot of fun, we've supported each other through some crazy drama on both sides, and I wish I'd been more like her at her age.

Her boyfriend does look like a toddler, tho.