Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Zugzwang posted:

This is very funny. Sounds likes like Grimes wound up doing ok, minus initially dating Elon of course.

Well she has his kid so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

sebmojo posted:

I think the billion was just if the financing fell through, it wasn't a choice between paying that or going through with the deal.

Rigel posted:

Yeah, there wasn't a "buy twitter or pay a few billion" choice, it was "buy twitter, or buy twitter and pay a huge penalty"

Lol it's even worse than I remembered. Just a contract written with a massive L on the first page

I enjoyed that he forced them on a deal and they they made it more seller friendly which we barely blinked at

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Maybe its changed but 2 years ago Twitter wasn't the #1 traffic driver even among paid media much less all sources on anything I worked on.

Mr. Crow posted:

Two, I think

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Musk didn't have to tender an offer, or if he did he could have simply lowballed it and let the board reject him pro forma. He instead made an offer with a very high premium and the board said "gently caress yeah!" because they figured they had no reasonable way to grow to that valuation any time soon. In this contract was written two key clauses that absolutely would have been bonkers and was likely vigorously warned against but ignored: one waived due diligence, the other allowed for specific performance. The first is essentially him saying he's buying the company "as-is" and that's more or less that. He made noises about "material misrepresentations" but they were weak arguments because, well, he kept shooting his defenses in the crotch by saying stuff that showed either contrary intent or knowledge he already knew about these "defects" before he signed. Discovery during the suit would have destroyed what tattered remnants there were of his defenses. Secondly, while there was a liquidated damages clause, it also in another breath say that either party could insist if they wanted on the fulfillment of the terms of this contract. Musk could break up only if Twitter agreed to not let him buy it. Otherwise Twitter would be sold at $54.20 per share, no questions asked. Why did Musk sign such a stupid contract? I still have my "he did a few too many rails of coke" theory from before.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Also just remembered that he started off the whole process by buying shares into the company to obtain a board seat, but (again, presumably) was unable to pass their due diligence and other regulatory tests and thus @parag and the team refused as they should have. That then led to the funny weed number bid.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s a good RSS feed and micro blog . In fact it killed rss . That’s it it didn’t have to be anything more !! It was ok !!

Instead capital has to destroy it because being a fascist is frowned upon

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Barudak posted:

Maybe its changed but 2 years ago Twitter wasn't the #1 traffic driver even among paid media much less all sources on anything I worked on.

Probably why it barely made a profit since inception.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I have to believe someone is going to build "twitter but with verification for important accounts and fewer nazis", but they might need to wait for it to die first before they commit to it. Maybe there's not a huge amount of money to be made, but there will be an obvious void to be filled.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

smoobles posted:

google bipolar disorder

Okay, now the DSM is just making poo poo up. What’s next, Facebook Borderline Personality Disorder? Attention Deficit Tiktok Disorder?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Mulaney Power Move posted:

His management style is basically walking into the office bareass naked and waving his dick around like a helicopter

I've started into the Kirk, that will not defeat me.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

sebmojo posted:

Read that document I linked, not only did he buy it at 38% over the value he bullied the board into accepting the deal lmao
That was a way bigger unforced self-own than Ben Shapiro's WAP video, lol

Mr. Crow posted:

2, though who knows how much he'll actually want to see them.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Elon got his mediocre white male friends Justin roiland (Rick and morty)

wait lol how have I not heard this part yet

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

sebmojo posted:

Read that document I linked, not only did he buy it at 38% over the value he bullied the board into accepting the deal lmao
Musk is going to get his Ozymandias dream when Twitter is used as a mergers and acquisitions and/or hostile takeover case study for executive MBAs.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

GD_American posted:

Yeah same I thought roiland was the more normal one on that show

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I got bored

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

kw0134 posted:

Why did Musk sign such a stupid contract? I still have my "he did a few too many rails of coke" theory from before.

i suspect you're right. a lot of things he does give off "addict brain" vibes to me, specifically the sudden bouts of mania. i wouldn't be surprised if he goes into rehab some day soon.

typical nerd, couldn't handle his drugs.😔

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Chrpno posted:

Richer Kyanka

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

davecrazy posted:

I still don’t get that part of it. A tweet is not a binding contract. At some point he signed a contract. Nobody told him it was a dumb idea as he was putting pen to paper?

I wonder if he has untreated bipolar/mania. Because drugs wear off but mania lasts for several days or weeks.

I've had a few several week long manic binges in my life before I got medicated and during these times I've done poo poo like impulse buy a new car (on credit, I promise I'm not a billionaire) and take an unplanned month of leave to code a machine learning agent 18 hours a day. All I can say is thank Christ I'm a huge nerd and not a billionaire because someone with mania and untapped resources is in for a bad time.

PS: There's a sad side note here about how there's no one in musk's orbit who cares enough and has enough influence to get him into treatment because even if he doesn't have bipolar, he's definitely got some issues.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Party Ape posted:

I wonder if he has untreated bipolar/mania.

I thought this could be what's going on, but there never appears to be a moment of self-awareness or a "my bad." This has been going on for decades. I think it's nothing more complicated that him just an entitled, immature dork with poor impulse control and a hell of a lot of money.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Party Ape posted:

PS: There's a sad side note here about how there's no one in musk's orbit who cares enough and has enough influence to get him into treatment because even if he doesn't have bipolar, he's definitely got some issues.

narcissism is incredibly difficult to treat because in order for clinical therapy to work, a patient must want it to work

if you pathologically believe that you're god's gift to humanity then how likely is it that that'll happen?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

he probably says "dunno" because he's never actually visited a mental health professional that wasn't just part of a company's hr or whatever

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

GD_American posted:

https://twitter.com/MikaelThalen/status/1099039453190877184?t=-7KWIs0HGNCm5hp4IBMkNQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/wcti12/status/1576119736202674181?t=y_TamuuMTlOsWOT8fH8J_A&s=19

https://twitter.com/paleofuture/status/1589779352912547840?t=Mh7rqQmn_l9-8DIhwvn-kg&s=19

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

He posted one of those tired pronoun jokes and grimes responded with "I know you don't have so much hate in your heart" that ultimately led to her leaving him and hooking up with Chelsea Manning. He got so mad about this he tweeted that he was going to buy Twitter at the funny weed number and then somehow @jack took notice and said yes, yes! Let's do it! Elon got his mediocre white male friends Justin roiland (Rick and morty) and roe Rogan to be part of his negotiation buddies, and presumably a terrible lawyer at some point, and he signs an airtight contract where Twitter is able to force him to purchase the company at a way overvalued US$44b or so or he pays a billion or two as contract termination damage. He realised the error and tried several times to get out where @parag knew he was making poo poo up, so Twitter brought him to court. The court discovery process came to the point where his text messages needed to be made public (leading to the Rogan / roiland texts being leaked) and to stop more from turning up he gave up and agreed to the purchase. He bought a sink to the HQ and then fired the c level team including @parag "for cause" when they all had golden parachute clauses in their employment contracts, so they probably are initiating or have initiated lawsuits against him now. He then fired the board making him sole director and presumably they also have golden parachute clauses too. He fired almost everyone else, killed remote working, and caused the legal, cyber security, privacy, compliance, communications, pr, advertising and other heads to quit. He continues tweeting throughout this whole thing.

In essence, transphobia cost him us$44b and potentially his reputation.

i missed the justin roiland bit

just lmao taking billion dollar advice from a guy who did a cartoon about a grandpa trying to convince his grandson to suck his dick

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Every proper noun in this tweet makes me increasingly less and less likely to watch that video

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Can't believe musk hosed up twitter verification just to own the rick and morty guy

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

roiland gave elon a cameo on rick and morty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQHCz9ZZorA

get it, elon tusk sounds like elon musk

comedy gold

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/CaseyNewton/status/1591608302076858371

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 13, 2022

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Also just remembered that he started off the whole process by buying shares into the company to obtain a board seat, but (again, presumably) was unable to pass their due diligence and other regulatory tests and thus @parag and the team refused as they should have. That then led to the funny weed number bid.

by illegally buying shares without mandated disclosure, I will note

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

AARP LARPer posted:

I thought this could be what's going on, but there never appears to be a moment of self-awareness or a "my bad." This has been going on for decades. I think it's nothing more complicated that him just an entitled, immature dork with poor impulse control and a hell of a lot of money.
He still has his apparent moments of clarity, because if you add up the time he's spent between "I want Twitter" and "No I do not want Twitter," he's spent six months fighting the deal he signed with everything at his disposal, and a mere month courting, closing, and running Twitter into the ground. And when he said "okay, let's do it anyway" in the middle of a lawsuit compelling performance, he went into his new ownership role with a great deal of zeal for a guy who had to get put in the driver's seat kicking and screaming.

His apparent desires are extremely erratic in a way that feels more pathological than mere poor impulse control.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/CaseyNewton/status/1591608305113518081

https://twitter.com/CaseyNewton/status/1591629672236089344

jfc :stare:

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

What does MSM mean here? I only know this as 'men who have sex with men.'

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

kw0134 posted:

He still has his apparent moments of clarity, because if you add up the time he's spent between "I want Twitter" and "No I do not want Twitter," he's spent six months fighting the deal he signed with everything at his disposal, and a mere month courting, closing, and running Twitter into the ground. And when he said "okay, let's do it anyway" in the middle of a lawsuit compelling performance, he went into his new ownership role with a great deal of zeal for a guy who had to get put in the driver's seat kicking and screaming.

His apparent desires are extremely erratic in a way that feels more pathological than mere poor impulse control.

Pretty sure he's either bipolar, or consumes enough drugs to give him manic phases.

It also seems like manic-Elon knew that down-Elon would try to get out of the deal and specifically wrote a contract that would lock him in.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Sodium Chloride posted:

Main stream media

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Mainstream media is often the most kind to him too.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you are wondering what msm means look up what Henry ford is famous for

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Sockser posted:

Two-three weeks ago I would've said "No, Twitter is pretty big with a serious engineering team, they've got a lot of rails around that"

However, I've watched them flip switches for three different types of checkmarks in prod multiple times over the course of a single day, so I'm pretty sure just about anyone could just hop in and change their AWS credentials or something

They run their own servers.

euphronius posted:

It’s a good RSS feed and micro blog . In fact it killed rss . That’s it it didn’t have to be anything more !! It was ok !!

Instead capital has to destroy it because being a fascist is frowned upon

:chloe:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Sodium Chloride posted:

Just go with this, it makes it more surreal.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Making superior motors

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

euphronius posted:

If you are wondering what msm means look up what Henry ford is famous for

the model T?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009