Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fighting is bad but guys getting punched in the face for doing bad things is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I think female viewership is up because the neat and clean virtual board ads are hiding the grungy mess that was lurking above the ice for so many years before.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Wysh never met my granny Alta, she fuckin lived Toger Williams

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The Capitals, Penguins, and Bruins were the three teams that I thought might show their age coming into this year. But unlike the Capitals and Penguins, I now believe the Bruins will be a playoff team forever. Ok not forever, but for longer, anyway. Marchand, Bergeron, and Krejci are all 34 or older, but their other key players are either good for at least a few more years (Ullmark, Hall, Lindholm are 29/30) or younger (McAvoy 24, Pastrnak 26, Swayman 23, DeBrusk 26, etc). I don't think the Penguins or Capitals have anything equivalent.

I feel like Bergeron can play to 50 and he'd still be good.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Twin Cinema posted:

I feel like Bergeron can play to 50 and he'd still be good.

I think he could, but I don't think he'll play too much longer. Maybe one year after this one at the very most.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Oh yea, I didn't mean that the Penguins or Capitals have nothing left once their stars are gone, because they definitely do.

No... the Pens really don't.

Honestly time is already running short. If they're not in or extremely near playoff position by January 1 then, rationally, it's probably time to give Sid and Letang 4-month vacations and get in the tank. There's potential for The Draft Lottery That Tore SAS Apart here!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think he could, but I don't think he'll play too much longer. Maybe one year after this one at the very most.

Yeah with that concussion history, best not to tempt fate. He's got the cup, personal awards, and a hall of fame lock career.
I wouldn't be surprised if he came back this year just to hit the 1000 points

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
https://twitter.com/TSNHockey/status/1592972061257109506

So no Ryan Reynolds? All those fans in Deadpool costumes must be disappointed.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
The Bruins lost Krug and went out and got a huge upgrade in Lindholm. Who has been extremely good and they have done a nice job in picking up supplementary pieces like Hall or developing/drafting like Pasta or DeBrusk.

I can't speak for Washington, but Pittsburgh has been setting assets in fire ever since the Matt Hunwick's signing and the Ryan Reaves trade. Since the summer of 2017 the Pens have wasted assets making and fixing and remaking mistakes. Where as Boston has mostly been able to either hold onto those assets and use them or spent them wisely to improve their team/org.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

One time my family and I went to a game and got into one fo those dumb family arguments on the way, mostly ruining the mood. My mom and sister were at each other's throats and we were all just silent at the game. Then a fight broke out right by the corner we were sitting by, and we all hopped up cheering. Night saved, we went out for drinks and food after and had a great time.

Fighting brings families together.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

rex rabidorum vires posted:

The Bruins lost Krug and went out and got a huge upgrade in Lindholm. Who has been extremely good and they have done a nice job in picking up supplementary pieces like Hall or developing/drafting like Pasta or DeBrusk.

I can't speak for Washington, but Pittsburgh has been setting assets in fire ever since the Matt Hunwick's signing and the Ryan Reaves trade. Since the summer of 2017 the Pens have wasted assets making and fixing and remaking mistakes. Where as Boston has mostly been able to either hold onto those assets and use them or spent them wisely to improve their team/org.

Lindholm has slotted into that role really well, but I don't think they saw him as a Krug replacement. Especially 3 years later.

Krug was good for 50 points, Lindholm's career best was 34 7 years ago (although he's likely going to crush that this year.)

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Not Important posted:

Interesting. Andlauer also owns 20% of the habs, and the Bulldogs have been a great OHL franchise since he bought them.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I'm a big fan of Lindholm, although I think that contract could look bad by the time it's halfway done, and I also think he's done about half his scoring for the year already. Although he's never really been on a team as strong as Boston. Even when Anaheim was good it wasn't as good as the Bruins are now. Maybe he really does have some offensive skill in him.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Not Important posted:

Any potential owners would be dumb not to at least reach out to him, having arguably Canada’s biggest/most beloved movie star be the face of ownership would be huge for PR. TSN showed him after every single whistle when he came to town for the Canucks game

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Aphrodite posted:

Lindholm has slotted into that role really well, but I don't think they saw him as a Krug replacement. Especially 3 years later.

Krug was good for 50 points, Lindholm's career best was 34 7 years ago (although he's likely going to crush that this year.)

They swapped the high end offense for decent production, but much improved on the defensive side would be a better way for me to phrase it.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

I knew it was only a matter of time before a team went big into analytics and I'm not surprised the Devils did it considering their ownership. It's neat to see but because it is them unfortunately I will have to become even more of a "no nerds allowed" poster and pray even harder for Trouba/Schneider to give all their little twinks some Tagovailoa-style fencing response concussions. i take no pleasure in this.

unfortunately for me and fortunately for you all, T-Bone has rightly pointed out that someone seems to have pulled Jack aside and said "do not under any circumstances go hard into the corners" and it's hilarious to see. will be interesting to see how that holds up come playoff time. It feels like teams are going to try to absolutely hook and injure the poo poo out of them

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Crazy that the Caps gave up on him.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
(gets handed a note with a URL of a Messier Elbow compilation from off stage) I'm actually being told that I will in fact take pleasure in this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzybKCXus9o

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

It appears that the only name in the top 10 of both of those lists is Jared Spurgeon and he's never near the top of anything because he's so short. I knew he was quite the D, but that just puts it on another level when he's been doing it at that level for 5 years. It's too bad no one pays attention to both sides of the list when they vote for the Norris, but maybe some year.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Crazy that the Caps gave up on him.

When you get an opportunity to have 44 year old Zdeno Chara playing third pairing minutes sometimes you have to do it

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I can't speak for Washington, but Pittsburgh has been setting assets in fire ever since the Matt Hunwick's signing and the Ryan Reaves trade.

Washington gave away an entire first line and part of a first pairing since the Forsberg trade:

Vrana-Stephenson-Forsberg
Siegenthaler

The Mantha trade was a huge disappointment, even though I know Vrana is going through some personal stuff now keeping him off the ice.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

DJExile posted:

for gently caress's sake, Wysh

E: lmao he tries to clarify and just sticks his foot further into his own mouth

i might be a moron but isn't a simple explanation that the league went from being on a little watched network to two with much bigger reach?

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
NHL.com trolling a little bit? or a Sens fan editor trying to will this back to existence?

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Curious what Karlsson’s asking price is. He looks like his old self this season, but he’s 32 and has an 11.5mil cap hit for 4 more years and is playing on a gay cadaver ankle. Even SJ eating half his cap hit is still probably too high for most teams

Brent Burns had 3 years left at $8mil and was traded for 2 career minor leaguers and a 3rd last summer

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I don't know much but I'd be a little worried about bringing him on after his weird fall in both of his last two games

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Mind_Taker posted:

When you get an opportunity to have 44 year old Zdeno Chara playing third pairing minutes sometimes you have to do it

loulam be like :unsmigghh:

That said, it does look like Chara was able to teach Noah Dobson a thing or two. I've really liked his game so far.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sure wish I had more than one game to stream tonight, this Buffalo/Calgary game is a fuckin snoozer. I think both teams are trying to set a turnover record because everyone is trying to puck handle in a crowded phone booth.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Kings/Oilers should be pretty good, neither team can defend at all and of both them can score like crazy

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Trade Nurse for Karlsson

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

The Dirty Burger posted:

Curious what Karlsson’s asking price is. He looks like his old self this season, but he’s 32 and has an 11.5mil cap hit for 4 more years and is playing on a gay cadaver ankle. Even SJ eating half his cap hit is still probably too high for most teams

Brent Burns had 3 years left at $8mil and was traded for 2 career minor leaguers and a 3rd last summer

"A gay cadaver ankle"? That's pretty sad, man. I hope you have the decency to at least be embarrassed.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah!

That's a Datsyuk joke, dummy.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
I guess some dumb SAS jokes from the good times deserved to stay in the 2000’s, my bad didn’t mean to offend anybody. Will have the decency to be embarrassed

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
lol Datsyuk

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Datsyuk got his ankle tendon replace with a cadaver tendon and canonically the donator was gay, because Datysuk is a homophobic douche.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

The Dirty Burger posted:

I guess some dumb SAS jokes from the good times deserved to stay in the 2000’s, my bad didn’t mean to offend anybody.
I do appreaciate SAS deep cuts. But yeah, some are probably best forgotten.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

xzzy posted:

this Buffalo/Calgary game is a fuckin snoozer.

wakey wakey, that's Ottawa... But otherwise I agree

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Misanthrope posted:

wakey wakey, that's Ottawa... But otherwise I agree

What's the difference?

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

The Dirty Burger posted:

I guess some dumb SAS jokes from the good times deserved to stay in the 2000’s, my bad didn’t mean to offend anybody. Will have the decency to be embarrassed

You bolt awake on the bench of Team Canada. You are not wearing a helmet. It is 1972. You are Bobby Clarke, and you get a tap on your shoulder from Coach Ferguson: "I think Kharlamov needs a little tap on the gay cadaver ankle." The future cannot come to pass. USSR must burn.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Thank you for apologizing for trying to be funny on the comedy website forums. It really means a lot to humorless scolds like me.

Also, seems like Buffalo might still be pretty bad after all. They had us fooled for a while there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

It's amazing what a PDO of 105 will do for a team.