Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Push El Burrito posted:

Taylor Swift causes another break up.

:perfect:

And yes that merger should never have been allowed to happen.

Killing it doesn't automatically make things better but it certainly is a start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

FizFashizzle posted:

West knoxville is ground zero for the kind of place that would consider a Tesla a status symbol 10 years after release. if it's something someone working a commercial insurance gig given to them by their father in law can get underwater on, they'll be all over it. This vid could be from Turkey creek and it wouldn't surprise me.

https://twitter.com/EpsilonTheory/status/1563654605413703680?s=20&t=EgxuqlPWlVtXumjkcKCpkQ

this can't be real

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

West knoxville is ground zero for the kind of place that would consider a Tesla a status symbol 10 years after release. if it's something someone working a commercial insurance gig given to them by their father in law can get underwater on, they'll be all over it. This vid could be from Turkey creek and it wouldn't surprise me.

https://twitter.com/EpsilonTheory/status/1563654605413703680?s=20&t=EgxuqlPWlVtXumjkcKCpkQ

Lol. Just lmfao that poo poo is rent payment for an apartment or drat near a mortgage payment.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

this can't be real
WTF, did they use Western Sky as their loan company?!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I have some very bad news for you about how bad with money some people are with cars.

Ford is still backordered for over a year on their $80k pickup trucks that also have $20k dealer markups.

People take 13% interest loans over 8 years to get those trucks because a $35k pickup truck that can only haul 85% the same amount of weight as the Ford Raptor is an embarrassment. 99% of those people will never use it for anything heavier than a boat trailer or helping a friend move.

13% for 8 years on a $100k+ truck and they are still backordered.

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...
I had $100 down on one since they were initially advertising reasonable prices. When the actual pricing hit and the dealer markups started, I bailed in a heartbeat. Besides, not like these gigantic 10,000 pound electric vehicles are any good for the environment, or safe for pedestrians...

I'm building an e-bike instead.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

More news from the “and justice for Some” department, we are officially Over A Barrel I guess

https://apnews.com/article/biden-business-lawsuits-journalists-jamal-khashoggi-49f3e4ce88aa21bf2ba603dcbb32277f

You can kill Americans if you are rich enough, because we need you more than you need us.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The DOJ is also opening an anti-trust investigation into TicketMaster and considering breaking them up - specifically undoing their recent merger and splitting up Live Nation from Ticketmaster.

https://twitter.com/nytimesmusic/status/1593666705263394816

I love that they have only realized in the last few months that perhaps this Ticketmaster is bad. A thing that everyone had been complaining about since I was in High School, and that had literally involved lobbying to prevent people from not using them since before smart phones were a thing.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I have some very bad news for you about how bad with money some people are with cars.

Ford is still backordered for over a year on their $80k pickup trucks that also have $20k dealer markups.

People take 13% interest loans over 8 years to get those trucks because a $35k pickup truck that can only haul 85% the same amount of weight as the Ford Raptor is an embarrassment. 99% of those people will never use it for anything heavier than a boat trailer or helping a friend move.

13% for 8 years on a $100k+ truck and they are still backordered.

While this is true, that was filmed at a dealership. Everyone in the video both has access to the best possible deals and financing, while also being entirely incentivized to normalize paying more for your vehicle of choice than your shelter of choice.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

It isn't just the cost of these ever more gigantic trucks, but their very design is becoming ever more warped to serve their size. Lines of sight that are so bad that it shouldn't be street legal for a consumer vehicle.

https://twitter.com/bontrager_keith/status/1495443890253357059

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

selec posted:

More news from the “and justice for Some” department, we are officially Over A Barrel I guess

https://apnews.com/article/biden-business-lawsuits-journalists-jamal-khashoggi-49f3e4ce88aa21bf2ba603dcbb32277f

You can kill Americans if you are rich enough, because we need you more than you need us.

I don't think this is really a wealth issue so much as it is a foreign sovereign immunity issue. In general, the US doesn't want its citizens to sue foreign governments; it's similar to JASTA in 2016, and it's something that Congress has acknowledged would be a problem.

It's not new or novel, it's a longstanding policy within the US. Yes, it sucks, but I think this was always expected.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

selec posted:

The Hague? Can we find an institution more suited for this guys work history short of some imagined “The Agency for Rules That Don’t Apply To Rich People”?

Imagine being a US prosecutor working at The Hague knowing this exists:

https://www.hrw.org/news/2002/08/03/us-hague-invasion-act-becomes-law

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Service-Members'_Protection_Act?wprov=sfti1

This is parody, but whatever it is when it’s a thing parodying itself, without the remove of another person having to observe and react.

Not a great endorsement for the rule of law and it’s universal application, IMO.

He literally has experience with prosecuting and securing convictions against American politicians, including a former governor.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Rigel posted:

He literally has experience with prosecuting and securing convictions against American politicians, including a former governor.

As always, we will have to wait and see, but a former governor isn’t a former president. I think it’s the “president” part that matters, it’s absolutely unacceptable to the ruling class to have that as a possibility going forward. Just untenable levels of possible accountability if we set that precedent.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
lol i drive a 20 year old sedan and i can't wait for the shitshow when it finally dies off

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

lol i drive a 20 year old sedan and i can't wait for the shitshow when it finally dies off

We bought two new cars in the last two years because you will pay new car prices for used cars. Our only saving grace was that the resale value on my 10-year old car was ridiculous.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Elizabeth Holmes gets 11 years

https://twitter.com/johncarreyrou/status/1593729016506130432?s=46&t=02rz3fpz69pIKu8aAasFCw

Pretty sure this guy is real.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Rebel Blob posted:

It isn't just the cost of these ever more gigantic trucks, but their very design is becoming ever more warped to serve their size. Lines of sight that are so bad that it shouldn't be street legal for a consumer vehicle.

https://twitter.com/bontrager_keith/status/1495443890253357059

oh my loving god that is the worst thing I have ever seen

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

this can't be real

I assume $1200 is yearly, right?
(I'm guessing it's monthly)

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the average new car payment is $667, up more than $200 from ten years ago.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

lobster shirt posted:

the average new car payment is $667, up more than $200 from ten years ago.

this is absolutely mind blowing to me

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Shooting Blanks posted:

I don't think this is really a wealth issue so much as it is a foreign sovereign immunity issue. In general, the US doesn't want its citizens to sue foreign governments; it's similar to JASTA in 2016, and it's something that Congress has acknowledged would be a problem.

It's not new or novel, it's a longstanding policy within the US. Yes, it sucks, but I think this was always expected.

the article also kinda sucks, doesn't even mention what part of the administration

it could easily be doj lawyers saying "this is our understanding of the law"

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

clean ayers act posted:

this is absolutely mind blowing to me

Note that a $467 car payment 10 years ago by inflation is $605 today.

So you know, still up significantly, just not mind bogglingly.

--------------------------
Also just wild that there aren't enforced standards on eyelines on loving vehicles, jesus.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My mom used to worry about my toddler being invisible to trucks. Nowadays, they're taller than my wife and creeping up on my manlet rear end. It's gonna be a full-family hit-and-run.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Gyges posted:

I have never understood these people. Like, even if you don't get the deeply creepy vibes the general military grunts and vets are putting out, or question service guarantees citizenship, you've got to catch on by the end. The framing, architecture, and officer uniforms are all very 1930s Germany inspired. There's so many things, screaming, "Fascist Nazi Parallel". Then at the end, just to make sure you get it, Doogie Howser walks out in an SS uniform and uses psychic powers to confirm that the bugs fear them.

Almost none of the professional critics reviewing the movie at the time it was released got it.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Kalli posted:

Note that a $467 car payment 10 years ago by inflation is $605 today.

So you know, still up significantly, just not mind bogglingly.

--------------------------
Also just wild that there aren't enforced standards on eyelines on loving vehicles, jesus.

ive never had a payment above $300.
then again ive never lived more than 40 miles from my job so i never had to do huge mileage leases

B B
Dec 1, 2005

https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1593767953706921985

:sickos:

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

What are the results at currently?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Zotix posted:

What are the results at currently?

Yes 59.2
No 40.8

2,409,062 Votes.

It's shifted about 1% towards no over the last million votes.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1593681389937102851?t=7bwfk-YzuKT-QIsmWZY9cA&s=19

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1593766330162765825?t=ojeQV_S2-76zr8vT3Sv-4Q&s=19

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Keeping Alex Jones off Twitter is smart. Telling everyone that free speech is back at Twitter, and then keeping people off the platform without explanation is dumb.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Please don't post naked tweets, there are more appropriate threads for Elon live posting within D&D

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Abortion and Alex Jones. Two weeks things the left and right agree that the treatment of which should be a litmus test.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's probably entirely because Musk thinks Alex Jones is cringe.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Also he could be worried about potential lawsuits. Unlike trump (who he did a poll asking if he should be brought back) Jones actually has lawsuits stick on him. Like a dragon on its treasure hoard he might be worried his comically massive wealth could also be affected.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Push El Burrito posted:

Taylor Swift causes another break up.

This is clearly the better joke but I would also like to say "Swift justice"

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

We bought two new cars in the last two years because you will pay new car prices for used cars. Our only saving grace was that the resale value on my 10-year old car was ridiculous.
Unfortunately seems to be true. My 2002 Corolla is finally going to give up the ghost soon due to aging parts, so I need to find a replacement before next May (inspection time). I just want the cheapest car I can find and all I have as options are $20k+, and if I want a replacement Corolla it’ll probably run closer to $30k after taxes and fees. Used Corollas are more than the new prices and each dealership is charging artificial markup over MSRP. I hate having to shop for a car, it’s a loving nightmare since I barely drive and my commute is like 10 mins.

I really wish there was just some cheap small car available for people like me.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

John Oliver had a good summation of why they are poo poo a while back

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Youth Decay posted:

edit: so this is really the messaging they're going with, huh
https://twitter.com/HouseGOP/status/1593253229747265545

Can someone explain to me why this loving matters? I'm so sick of hearing about it and how obsessed they are with it, but I've never heard an actual reason why anything on this laptop actually means anything regarding anything?

Is it just a petty desire for dirt against Biden?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Framboise posted:

Pretty much. Hunter Biden was a fuckup but he most likely didn't commit any actual crimes or exert undue influence on holders of power. But none of that matters since their goal is to make Biden appear corrupt in the right-wing mediasphere. The laptop is hard evidence of nothing in particular and the audience will assume that you are repeatedly bringing it up because it's important

They also need to do something to counter the narrative that Biden loved and supported his son even though he was a fuckup, because even in the right-wing mediasphere you can't assert that it's wrong to do that and expect it to stick

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Framboise posted:

Can someone explain to me why this loving matters? I'm so sick of hearing about it and how obsessed they are with it, but I've never heard an actual reason why anything on this laptop actually means anything regarding anything?

The mistake you are making is paying any attention to, and assuming any form of honest communication from, a republican. Don't look for logic, don't engage with their line of thinking. Only ever point and laugh or throat punch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Framboise posted:

The people who claim it matters couldn't even tell you why it matters because it's utter nonsense. It's noise designed to drive the particularly loony conspiracy minded members of the public further towards the GOP trough. It's the jangling of car keys.