Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Has Prodigy just retconned things so even the TOS shuttles had some kind of warp drive? (I suppose they always technically did, since in 'The Menagerie' one chased after the Enterprise into interstellar space, but the show's bible made it clear they were meant to be sublight.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Payndz posted:

Has Prodigy just retconned things so even the TOS shuttles had some kind of warp drive? (I suppose they always technically did, since in 'The Menagerie' one chased after the Enterprise into interstellar space, but the show's bible made it clear they were meant to be sublight.)

I just assume that redshirt fell into any one of hundreds of random spatial anomalies that might fling you into the delta quadrant. Maybe it was an idiot caretaker trying to build up another race of sex slaves etc.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

External Organs posted:

I just assume that redshirt fell into any one of hundreds of random spatial anomalies that might fling you into the delta quadrant. Maybe it was an idiot caretaker trying to build up another race of sex slaves etc.

Prodigy is also playing extremely fast and loose with where the show is taking place. We've gone from the Delta Quadrant to the Gamma Quadrant to back to the Delta Quadrant to the Beta Quadrant and now so far into the Beta Quadrant that we've hit the Romulan Neutral Zone all in about 6 episodes now.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

Prodigy is also playing extremely fast and loose with where the show is taking place. We've gone from the Delta Quadrant to the Gamma Quadrant to back to the Delta Quadrant to the Beta Quadrant and now so far into the Beta Quadrant that we've hit the Romulan Neutral Zone all in about 6 episodes now.

That's the proto drive in action. They started on the Delta-Beta border (that's where Tars Lemora is), jumped to the Gamma near the core, back to Tars Lemora, and in season 1B it's implied they must have proto jumped towards the outskirts of Federation space between 1x10 and 1x11 to attempt to rejoin Starfleet.

But yeah they do also seem to be underestimating the size of the galaxy and overestimating the reach of the Federation a bit.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 18, 2022

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

jeeves posted:

Shuttles having warp has always been pretty dumb. Also never making the matte paintings or poo poo to really show off that the D was basically an aircraft carrier of shuttles with that main shuttle bay deck was also pretty much a missed opportunity.

Of course with the magic of transporters, shuttles are pretty useless so :shrug:

Not really. How many times have we had the plot of "Uh-oh! Somebody down there on the planet turned on their laptop while on an airplane. The interference is too much for the transporter to handle?" Meanwhile, the Federation capital ships look like their designed to function almost exclusively is space or maybe the upper atmosphere. Sometimes you do need a way to physically go to and from the surface of a planet in an actual vehicle.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Shuttles have warp because the show needed to be able to have people coming and going without bringing a whole extra warship full of crew into the plot. Star Trek doesn't like having more than two ships in an area at once.

The Danube class is big enough to be the littlest starship, but it is going to be silly when a Giordi kidnap box is able to do anything.

It also seems like with the sheer amount of crew onboard the ship, if they're willing to dole out shore leave and vacations to singular individuals at a time, there would probably be a swarm of shuttlecraft coming and going at any moment for all the people with their own engagements. Although there must be some complicated logistics of making sure to get back spare shuttles or people tracking the mothership's location to catch up to it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Should have used the Captain’s Yacht.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

BattleMaster posted:

The people who hate replicated food or want to go off and make a colony on a contested planet are the future versions of people today who wonder if we really need modern medical technology or who go off to squat in the wilderness. Growing up with the comforts of modern society leaves them without an understanding of why we developed modern technology to begin with, to escape from dying from treatable illnesses or being one bad harvest away from famine.

A bunch of Grizzly Man or Into the Wild stories written in the 24th century.

"Our ancestors lived off the land which is why I hosed off to a new class M planet, devoid of ANY modern convivence and barely scouted by any modern galatic powers. Sure, no one really lives on Death McDeathball IX but I think we need to harken to a simpler time when we were one with nature."

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Mooseontheloose posted:

A bunch of Grizzly Man or Into the Wild stories written in the 24th century.

"Our ancestors lived off the land which is why I hosed off to a new class M planet, devoid of ANY modern convivence and barely scouted by any modern galatic powers. Sure, no one really lives on Death McDeathball IX but I think we need to harken to a simpler time when we were one with nature."

Don't pan the holocam to the right, that's where the industrial replicator is

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

"We have the full back-to-the-wilderness experience with just primitive 23rd century tools!" [Beams to the local diner for a chicken sandwich and coffee from their food slot.]

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Payndz posted:

"We have the full back-to-the-wilderness experience with just primitive 23rd century tools!" [Beams to the local diner for a chicken sandwich and coffee from their food slot.]

It's been years since i've watched it so this may be extreme rose-tinted glasses, but I remember the episode of Voyager where Janeway and Chakotay have to get left behind on a planet to live on their own for some reason being kind of neat for showing how the Starfleet equivalent of homesteading works.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Arivia posted:

It's been years since i've watched it so this may be extreme rose-tinted glasses, but I remember the episode of Voyager where Janeway and Chakotay have to get left behind on a planet to live on their own for some reason being kind of neat for showing how the Starfleet equivalent of homesteading works.
I finally watched Voyager all the way through last year. That episode was a highlight and at times a joy to watch.

The rest of it I don't really remember.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I imagine this guy took his trill girlfriend with him hitching various rides from former federation officers who offered advice on how to survive on backassward planet and there is small Ferengi trading post on this planet but this guy is like I don't need anyone.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

McSpanky posted:

I must be the only person who thinks the cobra head on the stardrive section looks fine, cool even.

Nah, I'm also fine with it, and wish we saw saucer-less Galaxies during the Dominion War

MikeJF posted:

later trek scaling that back and making the arrays smaller and dropping the charge going around the entire array and eventually just making it a simple beam that fires out with no preamble is the #1 piece of evidence they all had terrible taste.

The energy swooping around and blasting out looks so cool.

Absolutely agreed

Also the sound effects kept getting worse over time; compare the photon torpedo launch sound effects from Encounter at Farpoint with basically anything post-TNG.

MikeJF posted:

The original plan with TNG was that the early stock footage would be able to comprise almost all of the effects, but as they got into the show that turned out to not be the case and they were needing new stuff continuously.

They did also plan on adding to the stock footage library in between seasons, but yeah, that idea flopped basically immediately.

I think Arsenal of Freedom was probably the one episode where, aside from shots of the drone ship itself, they managed to go all-stock with the Enterprise opticals on an action-heavy episode.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kibayasu posted:

Should have used the Captain’s Yacht.
I think that was the original plan yeah

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Which episode had the Captains Yacht in it because I always thought that was fever dream of mine

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It’s only ever been in Insurrection

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s only ever been in Insurrection

And Lower Decks, though just an interior not operating as its own ship.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

External Organs posted:

The Prometheus is three shuttles in a big raincoat. Good design.

"I went to Delta Quadrant today. I did a Starfleet."

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Isn't the Prometheus the ship with the Andy Dick EMH?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Kazy posted:

Isn't the Prometheus the ship with the Andy Dick EMH?

Hell yes it is

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
EMH Andy Dick getting his entire crew addicted to The Game

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MillennialVulcan posted:

EMH Andy Dick getting his entire crew addicted to The Game
EMH Andy Dick was retired very quickly after racking up an astounding number of sexual harassment complains for a hologram.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

nine-gear crow posted:

EMH Andy Dick was retired very quickly after racking up an astounding number of sexual harassment complains for a hologram.

He's now mining an asteroid, all by himself.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Or a holographic Jon Lovitz is mining the asteroid by smashing holographic Andy Dick's face into it repeatedly

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

CPColin posted:

Or a holographic Jon Lovitz is mining the asteroid by smashing holographic Andy Dick's face into it repeatedly

I'd watch at least a couple of seasons...

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

CPColin posted:

EMCH (emergency movie critic hologram) every time Andy Dick's face is smashed: "It stinks!"

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Wee Bairns posted:

I'd watch at least a couple of seasons...
Hot drat!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean usually the EMH gets about 2 per year.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

bennyfactor posted:

EMCH (emergency movie critic hologram) every time Andy Dick's face is smashed: "It stinks!"

someone did a gif years ago of that, sans the hologram part

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
goddamn it. i just watched "A Matter Of Time" for the first time and that would have been an excellent episode except for the obvious twist in the last four minutes completely ruining it. i am actually kinda mad about it.

and you can't do it again, straight, because you'd just be doing the entire episode up to the ethics argument between picard and rasmussen the exact same way.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Arivia posted:

goddamn it. i just watched "A Matter Of Time" for the first time and that would have been an excellent episode except for the obvious twist in the last four minutes completely ruining it. i am actually kinda mad about it.

and you can't do it again, straight, because you'd just be doing the entire episode up to the ethics argument between picard and rasmussen the exact same way.

I get what you mean but a time traveler deliberately introducing themselves and then going 'oof yikes, interesting but not what I'd have done :whitewater:' for the entire encounter isn't that interesting a dilemma imo, a responsible person in his position would just never make other people aware of their knowledge at all to begin with

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

No Dignity posted:

I get what you mean but a time traveler deliberately introducing themselves and then going 'oof yikes, interesting but not what I'd have done :whitewater:' for the entire encounter isn't that interesting a dilemma imo, a responsible person in his position would just never make other people aware of their knowledge at all to begin with

right, which is why in the argument when picard goes "doesn't YOUR equivalent of the prime directive have an out to make sure I can save millions of lives" it would work as a dramatic point to the episode (with rasmussen telling him how he saved the day).

also apparently berman wrote it thinking of the old sci-fi plot of like genghis khan having modern weaponry and how that would work, and there's literally none of that in the episode. it's maybe the story of how a 22nd century genghis would have gotten modern weapons. the idea is done much better by that enterprise episode with the aliens helping the nazis win ww2! so the awesomeness that this tng could have been was wasted on fuckin nothing! THANKS BERMAN YOU poo poo

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
idk I loved that episode

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm all for making GBS threads on Berman now but I feel like blaming him for 'I didn't get a totally different episode that I imagined in my head' is pushing it somewhat even for him.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I liked that Rasmussen got screwed in the end because he was a real jerk

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Welcome to the 24th century. :c00l:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
(some enlisted crewman in a Jeffries tube on deck 41 winks out of existence and nobody notices)

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

CPColin posted:

(some enlisted crewman in a Jeffries tube on deck 41 winks out of existence and nobody notices)

So that's one reason the only enlisted crewman is O'Brien.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
It’s Remember Me, but only with enlisted.