Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Jade Rider posted:

It was like that in older versions of LoTD. I'm not sure if Moonpath is directly included with it any more.

Midnight Voyager posted:

It isn't, but since you get the airship either way, I'm pretty sure it locks the start of Moonpath (if you have it) to the airship dock being available with the Explorer's Guild.

ThaumPenguin posted:

You need to have set up 70 museum displays for LOTD's intro to Moonpath to start. You can get close to this fairly quickly by donating generic weapons, armors and items, like an iron helmet or whatever, maybe set up some nice gem or animal displays. Hopefully you're using Curator's Companion to make LOTD infinitely more parseable.

The link in this post leads to the LOTD wiki page for the SSE intro quest of LOTD Moonpath to Elsweyr. Auryen sends you to find a caravan, which then takes you into Elsweyr. Apparently you don't get the airship or meet its owner until way later into Moonpath. Essentially it's not a sudden freebie anymore.

e: I'm guessing you might need to have the Explorer's Guild veranda if you want to take the airship back to Solitude, though.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ThaumPenguin posted:

The link in this post leads to the LOTD wiki page for the SSE intro quest of LOTD Moonpath to Elsweyr. Auryen sends you to find a caravan, which then takes you into Elsweyr. Apparently you don't get the airship or meet its owner until way later into Moonpath. Essentially it's not a sudden freebie anymore.

e: I'm guessing you might need to have the Explorer's Guild veranda if you want to take the airship back to Solitude, though.

Well, I should say I've done it before with LotD and when I did it and things worked, I had the place built and staffed before the quest showed up. So since it's not showing up after 70 displays, I thought that must be part of the trigger.

I could be wrong and/or something's just messed up here.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

It's a good suggestion! It was only after I'd posted that I realized you'd likely still need the Explorer's Guild to return to Solitude.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I appreciate the help. Been able to get this running for the most part.

Something I've been trying to figure out is how to help fix the hitching/sudden frame drops I get when looking and moving around outdoors. This even happens on my main desktop with a pretty hefty cpu and gpu. I've disabled quite a few visual mods just to see if that's what's causing it but it keeps happening. I also applied the BethINI changes but no luck there. Is this just a loading distance thing? It only happens outdoors and if I try and look around too quick I'll get sudden stuttering which usually levels out if I stop trying to look around too much.

Are you using a texture pack like Skyrim 2020/202X? I'm running Skyrim primarily on my gaming laptop with a 3070ti/8gb VRAM and had to drop from the 8k version to 4k because of this issue.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
What's the point of 8k textures if you are playing on a laptop?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Experiencing the wonders for 7 FPS and third degree burns from your laptop running at 134 F just trying to play The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, a game that is now 11 years old.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Skwirl posted:

It depends on what the texture is applied to. A weapon? Kind of pointless. A mountain? Makes a big difference. Since the texture gets stretched across the entire object if it's a massive object like a mountain or a building or something, it can make sense. The size of the texture doesn't need to be the same as the resolution you are playing at for it to matter.

nine-gear crow posted:

Experiencing the wonders for 7 FPS and third degree burns from your laptop running at 134 F just trying to play The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, a game that is now 11 years old.

Textures are also not something that would affect FPS to a huge degree as long as you have the VRAM needed. Once you run out of VRAM your FPS will plummet, but if you have enough it won't matter much.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
this might come as a shock to a thread still playing an 11 year old game but yeah you can quite comfortably play skyrim on a laptop and have been for years

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

this might come as a shock to a thread still playing an 11 year old game but yeah you can quite comfortably play skyrim on a laptop and have been for years

I wasn't questioning playing it on a laptop, I was questioning the need or use of 8k textures on a small screen.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Tankbuster posted:

whats the crash logger page?

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/59818

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Are you using a texture pack like Skyrim 2020/202X? I'm running Skyrim primarily on my gaming laptop with a 3070ti/8gb VRAM and had to drop from the 8k version to 4k because of this issue.

I am actually. I think the 8k textures might be the default too so maybe that's what I gotta tone back. I'm also only running about 8gb of VRAM. Thanks!

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

so i really like the appeal of wabbajack, but is there a mod list which doesn't turn all the NPCs into weird fantasy doll-esque anime characters? all the NPC and head/hair/face replacements are so insanely godawful and every modlist seems to use them. i just want the characters to look kind of weird and ugly like in vanilla but not so low quality in meshes and textures

do i just need to bite the bullet and do a manual STEP install if i don't want weird poo poo in my modlist? that's definitely what i need to do isn't it :smith:

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Nov 25, 2022

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Hefty Leftist posted:

so i really like the appeal of wabbajack, but is there a mod list which doesn't turn all the NPCs into weird fantasy doll-esque anime characters? all the NPC and head/hair/face replacements are so insanely godawful and every modlist seems to use them. i just want the characters to look kind of weird and ugly like in vanilla but not so low quality in meshes and textures

do i just need to bite the bullet and do a manual STEP install if i don't want weird poo poo in my modlist? that's definitely what i need to do isn't it :smith:

I'm pretty sure Journey doesn't do that, it's what I played last time. It still has some hair mods but they aren't anime hair, IIRC they pretty much just looked like vanilla hair but not as low res.

E: never mind, it has the vanilla improvement mods but it also has KS hairdos. I think what I did was install the pack and then just disable KS hairdos and related mods.

Yaoi Gagarin fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 26, 2022

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

VostokProgram posted:

I'm pretty sure Journey doesn't do that, it's what I played last time. It still has some hair mods but they aren't anime hair, IIRC they pretty much just looked like vanilla hair but not as low res.

E: never mind, it has the vanilla improvement mods but it also has KS hairdos. I think what I did was install the pack and then just disable KS hairdos and related mods.

do you think it's fairly safe (if there's no obvious dependencies) to just disable the mods i don't want in any wabbajack pack? i think i might work off septimus - i tried phoenix flavour and that didn't really appeal very much to me

i sure wish the STEP folks would also upload a wabbajack installation pack, because that'd be great to have. knowing the skyrim modding community, i'm sure there's probably a shitload of drama preventing that though

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Hefty Leftist posted:

do you think it's fairly safe (if there's no obvious dependencies) to just disable the mods i don't want in any wabbajack pack? i think i might work off septimus - i tried phoenix flavour and that didn't really appeal very much to me

i sure wish the STEP folks would also upload a wabbajack installation pack, because that'd be great to have. knowing the skyrim modding community, i'm sure there's probably a shitload of drama preventing that though

It varies wildly by what type of mods, purely graphical ones for npcs are probably largely safe. Gameplay mods and new content will almost certainly break things.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

do you think it'd be alright to add in the Great Cities/Villages mods? obviously i'd have to redo the LOD if i did that, but that should work right?

it's a shame open cities is so incompatible/run by arthmoor because that was one of my favourite mods

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Hefty Leftist posted:

do you think it'd be alright to add in the Great Cities/Villages mods? obviously i'd have to redo the LOD if i did that, but that should work right?

it's a shame open cities is so incompatible/run by arthmoor because that was one of my favourite mods

Probably not. I think previous versions of Septimus used great cities and it was taken out because of conflicts. If you're doing that level of changes you're probably better off doing your own STEP list.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I think hair mods ought to be safe to disable as long as you make sure to get all of the related ones. Looking at Journey's modlist for example, you'd want to disable these:

KS Hairdos SSE
KS Hairdos 1.7 Salt and Wind
Salt and Wind - KS Hairdos - Update

I hope there isn't some other mod in the list that's changed an NPCs hair to use one from KS. I suspect it's possible to figure that out using some modding tools but that's beyond my expertise. So I would just try it and see if it works.

Oh, and there's also LOTF. I haven't played it myself but it might be up your alley since it's supposed to be pretty much vanilla-but-improved.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I am actually. I think the 8k textures might be the default too so maybe that's what I gotta tone back. I'm also only running about 8gb of VRAM. Thanks!

yep youre gonna want the 4k version here https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/68307?tab=files

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

What's a good wabbajack modlist that is deleveled and does some nice things to increase difficulty/change mechanics/add content but isn't as miserable as Wildlander/Requiem seem to be?

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
New essential mod dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgVJ7HPz-KU&t=9s

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Just started playing skyrim for the first time since 2011 basically. I looked at wabbajack but I don't like the idea of having to install the whole list, think I'm just going to use mo2 or vortex to install mods and make my own list.

Does anyone have a link to a post with a 'recommended' or 'high quality' mods list?

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you're the type of person who likes to collect things and put up displays in your houses, Legacy of the Dragonborn is simultaneously the best and worst mod.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Just started playing skyrim for the first time since 2011 basically. I looked at wabbajack but I don't like the idea of having to install the whole list, think I'm just going to use mo2 or vortex to install mods and make my own list.

Does anyone have a link to a post with a 'recommended' or 'high quality' mods list?

I would recommend A Dragonborn's Fate and you'll need to use MO2 for it which would be the mod manager I'd recommend anyway.
The list will give you a really solid base to add onto if you want more.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

The problem with this is that you're going down the rabbit hole of Skyrim modding to make a custom list.

Not only do you need to find and install mods you like, but then making sure they are compatible with each other, in the correct load order, patched and all that crap then trying to troubleshoot poo poo.

This is why pre-made lists are a godsend... other modders did the heavy lifting and other players (hopefully) have tested and debugged most of the issues.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Slayerjerman posted:

The problem with this is that you're going down the rabbit hole of Skyrim modding to make a custom list.

Not only do you need to find and install mods you like, but then making sure they are compatible with each other, in the correct load order, patched and all that crap then trying to troubleshoot poo poo.

This is why pre-made lists are a godsend... other modders did the heavy lifting and other players (hopefully) have tested and debugged most of the issues.

I've made mods for oblivion and fo4 so I'm a little experienced but yeah I know.

Helith posted:

I would recommend A Dragonborn's Fate and you'll need to use MO2 for it which would be the mod manager I'd recommend anyway.
The list will give you a really solid base to add onto if you want more.

This is great and it being modular is what I wanted. Thank you

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

dolphinbomb posted:

If you're the type of person who likes to collect things and put up displays in your houses, Legacy of the Dragonborn is simultaneously the best and worst mod.

Thank you/gently caress you for blessing/cursing me with this recommendation. I'm an absolute packrat in these sorts of games and this seems like it's going to be a wild ride.

I've been trying out Phenderix Elements recently. It's yet another magic mod but it seems well very designed and is compatible with all the major magic overhauls as it uses a separate spell/levelling/unlocking system.

I've just started an obsessive collector dunmer wizard playthrough using this and the Legacy of the Dragonborn mod above and it's been a blast so far. If anyone's looking for mushroom towers to live in then I really rate Tel Jerdein, Tel Mos and Ebongrove. Tel Nalta is meant to be good too but I've not tried it yet.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Going back to Skyrim after many years. The last time I played I spent an entire day carefully setting up a modlist... only to give up after a day of play.
The cause of this was trying an 'unleveled' Skyrim. In theory this sounded great - rather than bandits magically becoming demigods with super rare magical weapons because I'd leveled up, you'd get a more realistic world and the excitement and danger of stumbling into high level zones.
In practice, what this meant is that (especially when combined with alternate start stuff), you'd walk into a dungeon and find this random group of bandits happened to be 20 levels above you and die, or do a quest and find the boss was a level 30 draugr and killing it involved kiting it around the room with firebolts for 15 minutes. Trial and erroring was pretty tedious, and the world design of Skyrim was intended for a scaling experience, so stapling unleveling onto it led to some weird results.
Now many years have past, what's everyone's thoughts on current unleveling mods? Is it still going to lead to the above, or is there a perfect unicorn that manages to pull off unleveling without restricting you to an arbitrary path?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Razakai posted:

Going back to Skyrim after many years. The last time I played I spent an entire day carefully setting up a modlist... only to give up after a day of play.
The cause of this was trying an 'unleveled' Skyrim. In theory this sounded great - rather than bandits magically becoming demigods with super rare magical weapons because I'd leveled up, you'd get a more realistic world and the excitement and danger of stumbling into high level zones.
In practice, what this meant is that (especially when combined with alternate start stuff), you'd walk into a dungeon and find this random group of bandits happened to be 20 levels above you and die, or do a quest and find the boss was a level 30 draugr and killing it involved kiting it around the room with firebolts for 15 minutes. Trial and erroring was pretty tedious, and the world design of Skyrim was intended for a scaling experience, so stapling unleveling onto it led to some weird results.
Now many years have past, what's everyone's thoughts on current unleveling mods? Is it still going to lead to the above, or is there a perfect unicorn that manages to pull off unleveling without restricting you to an arbitrary path?

Ideally what I'd like is a Skyrim that works like an MMO - IE maybe Whiterun enemies are level 1-5, Morthal enemies are level 5-10, and so on, maybe roughly following the progression of the main quest. Silly and unrealistic? Yes. But I think it results in a better feeling of progress than the system where enemies level up with you.

I've never found a mod that does this well but I can't say I've comprehensively checked them all since I mainly play modpacks these days.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Bremen posted:

Ideally what I'd like is a Skyrim that works like an MMO - IE maybe Whiterun enemies are level 1-5, Morthal enemies are level 5-10, and so on, maybe roughly following the progression of the main quest. Silly and unrealistic? Yes. But I think it results in a better feeling of progress than the system where enemies level up with you.

I've never found a mod that does this well but I can't say I've comprehensively checked them all since I mainly play modpacks these days.

Only if it's like Everquest where you will randomly get attacked by a level 45 monster in a level 10 zone.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

cheesetriangles posted:

Only if it's like Everquest where you will randomly get attacked by a level 45 monster in a level 10 zone.

I'd prefer to avoid that, but to each his own I suppose.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Honestly the Fallout 4 geographical difficulty approach is probably the best move (starting zone is easy, difficulty steadily increases in every direction), though I'm doubtful of how well it would translate to Skyrim, as the latter wasn't designed with geographical difficulty in mind. Maybe each town could be the center of a beginner-friendly zone, with the difficulty increasing the further off the beaten path you get?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Skyrim did it better than oblivion, with dungeons having their own level ranges, and fallout 4’s regional setting worked pretty well. I’d argue it wouldn’t work too well in Skyrim though without big geographical changes. You’re expected to go to far off places like Winterhold or Riften early based on your interests and builds.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ThaumPenguin posted:

Honestly the Fallout 4 geographical difficulty approach is probably the best move (starting zone is easy, difficulty steadily increases in every direction), though I'm doubtful of how well it would translate to Skyrim, as the latter wasn't designed with geographical difficulty in mind. Maybe each town could be the center of a beginner-friendly zone, with the difficulty increasing the further off the beaten path you get?

God, I forgot that FO4 only had 2 whole towns in it

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Yeah, I guess unleveling isn't compatible with a 'go anywhere' Skyrim, which is what I'm after, especially as a mage or something where you want to start at Winterhold.
Looking at mods, anyone familiar with Arena/OWL and LORA? All look like good ways to introduce a bit of difficulty/interesting loot without unleveling.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Leal posted:

God, I forgot that FO4 only had 2 whole towns in it

Also Vault 81.

A few of the settlements were already functioning towns before you gain control of them (like Bunker Hill) and a few kind of blur the line between town and PoI like Prydwen and the Railroad HQ. But yeah, the intent seemed to mostly be for you to build your own towns and I think that system wasn't quite fully fleshed out. I'd wonder if we might see an improved system in Elder Scrolls 6 but it seems like it isn't as great a fit for that series. Then again, maybe that won't stop them.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 3, 2022

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Bremen posted:

I'd wonder if we might see an improved system in Elder Scrolls 6 but it seems like it isn't as great a fit for that series. Then again, maybe that won't stop them.

There are a couple mods where you can build/rebuild a settlement, and I think that could be a great fit in ES6. Not if there's like 2 dozen spots on the map, but a couple high impact ones might be cool.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
They can do the settlement thing in the next Elder Scrolls if they'd like but I'm going to probably completely and absolutely ignore it.

poo poo was so clunky, obtuse and lovely in Fallout 4 that I am still to this day surprised people like it at all. It isn't that I don't like settlement games or anything either it was just so poorly built and terrible to interact with.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'd totally be down for some settlement building in the next Elder Scrolls. But I'd also really dig some kind of scrap mechanic that FO4 had, to reward my pick up everything OCD brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I like building up a town as like quests where you like get material so they can build a windmill or help them decide what to build etc. Cause this way you can still actually write towns to have personalities which the FO4 sandbox building didn't.