Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah if their discord is insufferable now I couldn't imagine the implosion if they decided now they had to wipe progress for something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Something is definitely going on with special spawns on Malice.

I don't know if it's intentional or not but drat.

EDIT: This feels a bit like that VT2 bug where it just doubled all special spawns for some reason.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I've got like 30+ hours into my Ogryn and I love him but I couldn't care less if they wiped and restarted at this point. None of this is actually difficult to reproduce in a similar amount of time.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Sab Sabbington posted:

I get why people might not enjoy this, but this is exactly the kind of poo poo I'm looking for and the reason I play these games on the higher difficulties. Getting into a flow state where you're split-second considering the best order to address tons of priority targets and having it go off successfully as a team is probably the most satisfying thing I've ever felt in a co-op game. I have no doubt a large part of it being fun is because I have a full group of friends I play with consistently and we all have the same kind of broken brain, but I love this poo poo.

For example: The most fun moment I've had so far was a really tight battle with a Beast of Nurgle that I clutched out--or would have if I'd be able to get one more headpop in. Instead it ate me, carried me away, and spit me out into a patrol of ragers and maulers. It loving ruled.
:same:

This is why you play co-op shooters in general and *Tide games specifically.

edit: I can see it might not work with random internet strangers tho

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Out of all the weapons I've bought and used, it's really weird only once have I see one with a reflex sight.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I gifted my friend Darktide and he's trying to gift it to me, but it says I already own it. What gives? Is there some restriction on gifting each other the same games?

Edit: nm, got it to work.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 24, 2022

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
The problem I'm running into with pub teams is people not watching their backs.
Sometimes I'll be standing at the back, I can hear a trapper or a hound or a burster coming, or there's a little mob of dregs on our tail, and I'll pause to clear them off so we aren't getting pincered, and when I turn around the rest of my team are half a mile ahead. And if I don't do that, and try and stick to the middle of the pack, then none of my teammates ever look behind them and suddenly we're caught between a rock and a hard place.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

The_White_Crane posted:

The problem I'm running into with pub teams is people not watching their backs.
Sometimes I'll be standing at the back, I can hear a trapper or a hound or a burster coming, or there's a little mob of dregs on our tail, and I'll pause to clear them off so we aren't getting pincered, and when I turn around the rest of my team are half a mile ahead. And if I don't do that, and try and stick to the middle of the pack, then none of my teammates ever look behind them and suddenly we're caught between a rock and a hard place.

This is the essential problem that occurred in VT 1 and 2 really. There are a couple of compounding problems here - it looks like enemies will basically stick to your back when you're facing away from them, so in addition to having a faster movement speed to the characters enemies do cheat a bit to catch up. The other issue that's unique to DT is that in VT your ranged weapons served two purposes when you weren't wasting ammo - dumpstering specials and killing stragglers. Here, ranged weapons have more than two roles (the two above, plus suppression and counter-range) so there's a lot of competition for that headspace.

I keep my head on a swivel and regularly get surrounded I can't imagine what happens to people with no spatial awareness.

EDIT:

quote:

Sab Sabbington posted:
I get why people might not enjoy this, but this is exactly the kind of poo poo I'm looking for and the reason I play these games on the higher difficulties. Getting into a flow state where you're split-second considering the best order to address tons of priority targets and having it go off successfully as a team is probably the most satisfying thing I've ever felt in a co-op game. I have no doubt a large part of it being fun is because I have a full group of friends I play with consistently and we all have the same kind of broken brain, but I love this poo poo.

For example: The most fun moment I've had so far was a really tight battle with a Beast of Nurgle that I clutched out--or would have if I'd be able to get one more headpop in. Instead it ate me, carried me away, and spit me out into a patrol of ragers and maulers. It loving ruled.

This is one of the reasons why modifiers are so critical though and where the contracts or whatever they were called in VT2 failed - additional difficulty can be fun and is fun but it needs to be something you can opt into. "Endless Hoard" is a fun modifier but it should be something you toggle, not the default state for what amounts to the entry level end game content.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 24, 2022

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just me or has every single special condition been Endless Horde for the last few days?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I have been really enjoying playing, but man Endless Hordes needs to go. It's the only modifier rn and it just makes Malice completely unfun.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think if you were to make a team of the same class, the ranking would go veteran > psyker > zealot > ogyn, had a 4 veteran group and it was just smooth sailing through a t3 endless horde with half close range guns half sniper guns and a lot of power sword cleaving.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
I don't know if its just luck of the draw or the last patch that really did fix some stability issues. Used to actually crash/gpu hang every mission or two, but was able to complete a 2 hour session without issue just now.

Edit: Does character level have any effect on character damage in darktide, like hero power in V2? That is to say with the same 150 power weapon, will you do more damage per hit as a level 20 than a level 10 against a malice mauler?

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 24, 2022

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013
My dreamer Psyker complained to herself on why she keeps dreaming such similar looking places all the time.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fishstick posted:

Edit: Does character level have any effect on character damage in darktide, like hero power in V2? That is to say with the same 150 power weapon, will you do more damage per hit as a level 20 than a level 10 against a malice mauler?

Yeah, I'd also like to know if character level makes a difference in that regard.

Other than that, the only way to objectively improve your character is by buying higher-rated weapons at the Armoury Exchange, right? And I guess weapons can be upgraded at the Shrine of the Omnimessiah? Basic questions, but I'm still figuring things out

e: the shrine is saying I need 50 ??? (looks like a crate) to consecrate my green weapon

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, I'd also like to know if character level makes a difference in that regard.

Other than that, the only way to objectively improve your character is by buying higher-rated weapons at the Armoury Exchange, right? And I guess weapons can be upgraded at the Shrine of the Omnimessiah? Basic questions, but I'm still figuring things out

e: the shrine is saying I need 50 ??? (looks like a crate) to consecrate my green weapon

TBH Have we even definitively determined that Hero Power exists?

Like I played hundreds of hours of VT2 I know how it works over there. And I can see the numbers on the weapons, and they seem to rise as I buy new weapons, so like, yeah it sounds obvious, but has anyone actually run experiments to see if it runs the same way? I've seen no statement from FS on it. It seems logical that they would just port over the same system but :fatshark:

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Phlegmish posted:

pretty sure it doesn't? the 30 min grognard video about stats had very accurate calculations and none of them had character level as part of the calculation, apart from the category called "buff stuff" which includes character feats

some feats are pretty substantial so in that regard level does matter but for the pure damage calculation it appears not to

Estel
May 4, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

I think no one has done real testing about it but I guess it's something similar to the formula Vermintide uses in that level is a multiplier for your damage.
Don't know if it's real or just coincidence but i feel my weapons did more damage after levelling up, not enough to be really sure about it.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

big cummers ONLY posted:

I need to watch some streamers for a little bit to get better. Sometimes it's very clear that I go down because I made a mistake, but other times it just feels like my team is not providing support or targeting the right things. Like if I have a horde locked down as zealot and there's 20 guys out of my range shooting me, and my team isn't occupied, they should be suppressing the shooters, right? I feel like instead 99% of the time they are mag dumping into the horde while I get cut to ribbons because the ranged units have free reign to go ham. Maybe it's my fault for assuming the sharpshooter will even be paying attention to where ranged fire is coming from. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong with my positioning.

I'm assuming the other players are playing little kid soccer but don't they want to use their guns to shoot other gun mans?

do not worry about other players. adjust your own play. if you're running solo into a horde, and it kills you, do not do that.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
there needs to be a force sword that applies Soulburn, not because it would be the best sword or anything but because it would be metal as gently caress

e: make it a more hordeclearing type of force sword or whatever, I don't even care I just want to hit dudes with a sword that makes them burn you know?

Martout fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 24, 2022

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ogryns and Ratlings are the most common types of Abhuman and pretty much the only ones that ever get miniatures(well before they reintroduced Squats in their new form) but it's always been canon that other types exist, including ones that are basically just 40k versions of Fantasy Beastmen

Orv
May 4, 2011
I love the one line that's clearly bagging on Winds of Magic during one of the abhuman discussions.

E: Also it looks like the cosmetics they released today are the ones people saw when the closed beta bugged out so that's promising for the paid ones being very stupid.

Orv fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 24, 2022

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

A hawaiian shirt for the ogryn please

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Fishstick posted:

A hawaiian shirt for the ogryn please

:hmmyes:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Ogryn Memes;

https://twitter.com/Vo_Memes/status/1595784103269466114

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

do not worry about other players. adjust your own play. if you're running solo into a horde, and it kills you, do not do that.

This isn't what I'm doing, the solution I'm thinking of is to wait for ranged to get overwhelmed and then engage because then maybe they'll switch to melee. If I engage in melee and tar pit enemies, my team is either going to continue killing things I'm already killing, or run off to find glory elsewhere. I think I just need to let them take damage.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
Aw shoot, I think they stealth nerfed the Eviscerator against carapace armor - you can't one shot Crushers anymore with a revved up ult heavy, at least on Heresy.

To be fair though, that probably had to be done :v:

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

big cummers ONLY posted:

This isn't what I'm doing, the solution I'm thinking of is to wait for ranged to get overwhelmed and then engage because then maybe they'll switch to melee. If I engage in melee and tar pit enemies, my team is either going to continue killing things I'm already killing, or run off to find glory elsewhere. I think I just need to let them take damage.

I mean yeah that's kind of what I'm doing too. I basically just switch to ranged, take cover, and take potshots at the enemy ranged units same as the vets. If we get swamped by minions in melee, I either try to stay behind cover or withdraw to a doorway or something and if my team can't figure it out than gently caress em frankly.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

drrockso20 posted:

Ogryns and Ratlings are the most common types of Abhuman and pretty much the only ones that ever get miniatures(well before they reintroduced Squats in their new form) but it's always been canon that other types exist, including ones that are basically just 40k versions of Fantasy Beastmen

I'm well aware, I follow a pair of warhammer nerds and Felinids have been brought up by them a few times as very silly things.

I just was uh, not expecting a reference to them in Darktide of all things lol.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It's funny how you see level 20s still eating poo poo in diff 2 runs. I don't think there's a "whole team survives" bonus so if some dummy runs off during smelter finale and eats poo poo a mile off from the exit door then bon voyage to them

Orv
May 4, 2011
150 diawhatever and 400 plaststeel for blue to purple, phew. I know you're not supposed to be upgrading guns to orange every five minutes but given how absolutely wild 4 and 5 get, where presumably the really good resource drops are, I definitely don't want to be combing every box on those difficulties and asking for three more hordes and six specials.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is there really any difference in resource drops between difficulties at all? Don't think there is

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
They said the second resource is more common on higher difficulties, we only found 110 of the first and 10 of the second in the 2 and 3 difficulty mission we did earlier.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Is there really any difference in resource drops between difficulties at all? Don't think there is

According to the blog post anyway. Most chests on maps are pretty in line with your direction of travel at least which isn't too bad.

E: They might mean that diamantine only shows up on 2/3+ but that'd be a weird way to go about wording "higher difficulty levels."

Orv fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 24, 2022

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What's the fastest way to level? Is there a mission that's better than just quickplay?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

I remain convinced that Rimworld is basically 40k but set in like 25k.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

fadam posted:

What's the fastest way to level? Is there a mission that's better than just quickplay?

I honestly wouldn't try and power level during the beta. I know they've said they're gonna try to preserve everyone's progress, but I'm working under the assumption that I'll lose it all when the game actually comes out

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

We've only managed to find 10 diamantine so far, seems rare on difficulty 2

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I was using a dueling saber and the dodge got nerfed, so I switched to knife and the dodge got nerfed. Is there anyone using an "agility" weapon that still feels agile or should I just stick to force/chain sword on my psyker now?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

We've only managed to find 10 diamantine so far, seems rare on difficulty 2

Difficulty 2 seems to be 100 - 150 plasteel and 25 max diamantine in a level from what Ive seen with some real lookyloos. I hope malice has more to incentivize people playing it more because the extra dockets is not enough to deal with some of the ridiculous stuff malice drops on you sometimes

Bought a blue slab shield to try it out, wasnt a huge fan - the level up reward for trying it out on a mission, was a purple slab shield with pretty good stats (10% dmg vs maniacs 10% dmg vs flak; +toughness on chained hits) so I guess now im a slab guy. When I'm not tossing rumbler grenades in peoples faces, because that never gets old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I just did an uprising run to check out the new resources/get some books and we were all level 30.