Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

VelociBacon posted:

Is it true also (or do you remember from your childhood) that these would traditionally be sharpened on whatever random unfinished ceramic plate/bowl was handy?

I dunno about traditionally, (Dad would use a whetstone on his knives every few months or so) but grabbing a random ceramic plate with an unfinished bottom edge is probably more like a honing steel action than sharpening. He would also do it.

Either way, I've seen it done too many times by too many people with knives older than I was to be a myth or a meme or an urban legend.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Nov 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I also discovered I was sharpening them wrong, the real poo poo way to do the way the OGs that only use one knife use it is to thin the tip and leave the heel thicker.
If that's what you're into, there are cleavers that are specifically designed for that kind of edge profiling, e.g. the CCK KF120x. For search purposes the most common term is 文武刀. You can of course reprofile pretty much any edge, but most cleavers sold as 桑刀 like the CCK KF130x really aren't designed for that kind of thing (in that they're really not that thick at their thickest). Dunno how that Winco compares to it.

The Dexter Russell Chinese cleavers with synthetic handles that show up in US restaurant supply stores are also pretty decent workhorses, although you can get a nicer SBZ shipped from China for less.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I don't *doubt* that there are gourmet, chef-quality, Lamborghini-class Chinese cleavers out there somewhere
My fanciest Chinese cleaver is Japanese; I have a large Takeda cleaver that I bought back when they were "only" a couple hundred bucks. It's super loving nice, but I don't use it a tenth as much as any of my four CCKs or SBZs, which all together I paid less than a hundred bucks for.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SubG posted:

CCK KF130x

The spine on that thing is loving enormous, English is stupid, we gotta come up with a way to differentiate between the same aspect ratio knife but between the thin and the thick ones. I mean it, some of you out there think chinese cleavers are all huge heavy things. They're heavier, but the blade is not meat cleaver thick.

At any rate: (and this is not aimed at you specifically) it all depends on what you want to use your knives for. Obviously, the "one knife only" Gs are gonna do the distal taper thing for their one and only knife, I can afford to have the five or so knives in my kitchen.

* The one shorter and thin daily driver cleaver, which I am gonna reprofile to a single-sided grind once I get it.leave stock for a bit before I decide I want to reprofile it to chisel grind.
* The taller cleaver, which I am gonna leave as the stock double-sided grind, and retask to just chopping big veg. (I am going to do a lot more kimchi/preserved veg in the new year)
* Thick meat cleaver, nuff said.
* Slicer.

edit: * Proper pair of kitchen bone shears. I cannot stress how much this makes your life easier when you're breaking down birds.

I think it should be abundantly obvious now that I am no longer a "one knife only" G, I'm not hardcore enough.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 25, 2022

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The spine on that thing is loving enormous
On a CCK KF130x? Nah. I don't have one of those Wincos you were talking about, but Winco claims that they're 2.8mm thick at the spine and that's a hair thicker than the KF130x (or at least mine, which is the only one I've actually taken calipers to).

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SubG posted:

On a CCK KF130x? Nah. I don't have one of those Wincos you were talking about, but Winco claims that they're 2.8mm thick at the spine and that's a hair thicker than the KF130x (or at least mine, which is the only one I've actually taken calipers to).

Oh, I see what happened. Stupid Ebay listing had both KF130x and KF1202 in the name. loving Alibaba-style shotgun search term word slop product names.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Does a good toaster oven/microwave combo unit exist? There are like 2-3 things in my life where I'd prefer to have a microwave around (defrosting, melting butter) but I really can't justify the counter space and absolutely wouldn't trade out my existing toaster oven for just a microwave (which I use for an enormous amount of things).

Alternatively, if there are tiny microwaves that exist that could also be an option, bit i think there's kinda a minimum size to a microwave for them to work at all.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I followed this recommendation from the knife's thread:

poverty goat posted:

If you're on the fence get the $10 one from the wok shop and see how you like it.

https://www.wokshop.com/newstore/product/vegetable-cleaver/

I liked it enough that I stopped there. It's the best knife you'll ever get for :10bux:

I wasn't sure if I'd like the style but now I use it for everything.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
Bit of a peripheral question: dining equipment.

I'd like a set of plates that are microwave/dishwasher safe and also look...you know good. For food pictures. Or impressing a guest.

Right now I just have some white whatever plates. They're thick and they do great in the microwave but other than that they're boring.

I've microwaved some ceramic/stoneware plates before and they become dangerously hot.

Any ideas on this?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

FaradayCage posted:

Bit of a peripheral question: dining equipment.

I'd like a set of plates that are microwave/dishwasher safe and also look...you know good. For food pictures. Or impressing a guest.

Right now I just have some white whatever plates. They're thick and they do great in the microwave but other than that they're boring.

I've microwaved some ceramic/stoneware plates before and they become dangerously hot.

Any ideas on this?

Our Corelle plates and bowls are attractive enough and do well in the microwave. They're also drat near indestructible despite looking like a regular plate... I've dropped them from counters onto the wood floor and they basically just bounce.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob
There's a really good deal on wusthof kitchen knives for cyber Monday: https://www.amazon.com/deal/b015d458?showVariations=true

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bodhidharma posted:

There's a really good deal on wusthof kitchen knives for cyber Monday: https://www.amazon.com/deal/b015d458?showVariations=true
How much use do most people really have for a fancy $129 6 inch european chef's knife and 3.5 paring knife though?

mystes fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 28, 2022

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Corelle are literally the perfect plates but unfortunately people think they have grandma vibes. They do have some new designs and square plates if there's anything you like.

The only thing is that when they do break, they shatter like a grenade. It wouldn't be fun if you have tile floors

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

mystes posted:

How much use do most people really have for a fancy $129 6 inch european chef's knife and 3.5 paring knife though?

I agree, these are too cheaply priced to be of interest to a serious chef.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
ohhh, I finally got an All Clad "second" that actually looks like a "second." Dent in the pot and a misshapen rivet on the handle of a D3 stainless 2 qt.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I have been gifted a used Ronco food dehydrator. There go my plans to get an Excalibur.

In the packaging there is an order form for a fruit roll up tray and a herb tray.

Can I just use parchment paper instead

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I doubt it, the trays are silicone and parchment would probably just stick to the fruit leather

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fart Car '97 posted:

I doubt it, the trays are silicone and parchment would probably just stick to the fruit leather

Parchment is coated in silicone!

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Yeah it's fine. IDK if it's not as good or anything, but I've used a similar dehydrator with parchment paper and it didn't kill me or burn down the house

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Parchment is coated in silicone!

how the gently caress did monks manage to write on it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Those quills are damned scratchy.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

i used to get great deals on sharpies from the silk road (the ones good for sniffing) so it was probably the same 500yrs ago for the monks

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I forgot that Breville bought Joule/ChefSteps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-1tAqtJ-Hc

Has an "autopilot" mode where it adjusts temperature depending on your food and even changes temp for different stages of cooking

Smartphone control

$550!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

Has an "autopilot" mode where it adjusts temperature depending on your food and even changes temp for different stages of cooking

Smartphone control

$550!

I love my Smart Oven Pro so much that when it inevitably craps out (hopefully not any time soon) I'm going to have to take a good hard look at this one as a replacement, although ATK recently tested smart ovens and the June Oven won the comparison and looks drat nice too.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

BrianBoitano posted:

This is the guy I trusted when picking my model. Second video covers the i3

https://youtu.be/UAivdTJsRig

https://youtu.be/s35ukmkxCV8

Thanks dude- just wanted to follow up on this since you were so cool.

I went with a refurbished i7+ (the i7 Roomba with the base that it automatically unloads its dirt in) for $330 which feels like a total loving steal.

Ended up doing a lot of research; there are better vacuums for sure, but some of it is overrated (for instance the i7 doesn't have lidar, but real world testing looks like its not as big a deal as people think).

The deal is still around, but at $350 instead (still a great deal imo)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3842883886...2d0325ecb310INT

I also wanted to share one more deal with the thread if anyone has been looking for an air purifier to keep your kitchen air clean of particles, odors etc, the Samsung Bespoke air purifier is $299 down from $699.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09NNV2GB1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

This device was never worth $700, but it has amazing design and looks great, and for $299 it's a no brainer if you have the money and want a really nice looking and performing air purifier for your kitchen (which, as a public space, many people do want things to look good in there, ya know).

Anyways cheers.

e: uh wow in the like 1 hour since I posted this the forest green went back to $699, but the other color is still $349 which is also still a great deal.

Taima fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 30, 2022

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

New knife get. Comparative photo, in case anyone was wondering. I am actually rather surprised at how much wear I've put on the old knife.

Should be noted that the squat knife's thickness is like they sawed off the edge off a bum tall knife and resharpened. I'm thinking that's how they're turning bum tall knives into a saleable product. Not a problem, imo.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
What is a bum tall knife?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

New knife get. Comparative photo, in case anyone was wondering. I am actually rather surprised at how much wear I've put on the old knife.

Should be noted that the squat knife's thickness is like they sawed off the edge off a bum tall knife and resharpened. I'm thinking that's how they're turning bum tall knives into a saleable product. Not a problem, imo.
You just mean it's full flat grind, or is it weirdly chonky or something? Because I've never handled a Winco duck knife, but I think every one I have handled (like the CCK) is full flat with no back bevel or anything.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

TychoCelchuuu posted:

What is a bum tall knife?
I think he's suggesting that they're constructing the duck knives by stock removal of defective full-sized cleavers.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Defective like, chipped or something?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Defective like, chipped or something?
I mean I don't know. I'm a little skeptical that anyone mass-producing machine-made knives would bother, but presumably they could use anything that fails one or more QC checks but which has enough good material to cut down into something else.

Stock removal (that is, shaping a blade by cutting/abrading an existing hunk of metal that you happen to have laying around instead of forging a new one) is a common approach to hand-made knives, but I don't know how frequently it's done for machine-made knives (unless you're counting stamped blades in general).

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Taima posted:

Thanks dude- just wanted to follow up on this since you were so cool.

You're welcome! Glad you got a good deal. Our 2yo son is the roomba taskmaster - he runs it almost every day on different floors. We even run it on the patio and garage :v:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Smartphone control

$550!

I got the Breville Smart Oven Compact w. convection this week and it rules. It bakes things far better than my standard oven and it preheats extremely quickly and even though it's not an 'air fryer' per-se, the frozen things i've cooked in it have come out perfect. I can't imagine how good the full sized smart ovens are comparatively.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
My candy thermometer shattered in the sink. I could just go buy a new one of the same but then I thought "is there a goon approved candy thermometer I should look at first?"

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Why would I grab that over the anova

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

My candy thermometer shattered in the sink. I could just go buy a new one of the same but then I thought "is there a goon approved candy thermometer I should look at first?"

I would go for one of the digital thermometers. Amazon has a selection but 90% of them look like the same device. No glass to break. I don’t see the one I have on there, but I imagine they are mostly the same.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Txxt posted:

Can anyone vouch for the Bosch universal mixer blender attachment?

I own a cheaper Ninja Blender already but it’s loud as hell, blades are semi dangerous to clean and I’d like to consolidate space a bit by getting rid of it and just having the blender attachment for the Bosch without a base to store.

Just catching up with the thread so a bit late, sorry.

We bought a second hand Bosch a few years ago that a blender attachment included. We didn't actually use it until last year when the generic department store blender we've had for many years finally let the magic smoke out. Might not be a fair comparison with something more modern like the newer Ninjas or KitchenAids but the Bosch is much more powerful and blends more effectively, maybe due to the shape? Keep the lid on and add ingredients carefully or you will be painting the ceiling. It's a significant improvement over the old machine.

The Bosch is loud but the noise isn't as high pitched and obnoxious as a lot of kitchen machines. My wife and I can carry on conversations over it without yelling while grinding flour, for example.

Main problem is that we store everything in drawers. I think we're going to need to find a place on the counter for the base. Between the blender, mixer, food processor, and flour grinder we're using it more and more and it's a pain to haul that heavy motor out of a drawer every time we need it.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
In other blender talk, my Vitamix E310 (a Costco model) doesn't seem to get faster after 7 or so on the dial. At least the sound doesn't increase in frequency or get any louder. It's been this way since I got it. Is anyone else's like this too?

It has no issues blending, so as far as I can it's max speed it just 7.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

PolishPandaBear posted:

In other blender talk, my Vitamix E310 (a Costco model) doesn't seem to get faster after 7 or so on the dial. At least the sound doesn't increase in frequency or get any louder. It's been this way since I got it. Is anyone else's like this too?

It has no issues blending, so as far as I can it's max speed it just 7.

If you wanted to test this and have a thermapen I would take a jug of water and leave it on the counter until it's room temp, put 500ml or so in and run it at the max speed for 45s and immediately take a temp reading. Then let everything cool down and repeat with the remaining 500ml at speed 7. If the max speed one is actually faster it's going to cause more cavitation and put more energy into the water in terms of heat.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

If you wanted to test this and have a thermapen I would take a jug of water and leave it on the counter until it's room temp, put 500ml or so in and run it at the max speed for 45s and immediately take a temp reading. Then let everything cool down and repeat with the remaining 500ml at speed 7. If the max speed one is actually faster it's going to cause more cavitation and put more energy into the water in terms of heat.

I've used a lot of vitamixes and have never experienced "doesn't sound like it's going faster but it is"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I say do the test and if it fails you can return to Costco and get a new one. Boom instant warranty extension