Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Sentient Data posted:

Which machine were you able to find? I could certainly use one bought outright and i don't mind using a reshipper to get it in the states

They don't make the same style as the one I use but this is the same brand from the same store

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004920010776.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Borscht posted:

Legionnaires disease probably. (Idk what legionnaires is)

It’s a pneumonia-type infection caused by a bacteria called Legionella that thrives in crappily maintained/cleaned water systems. ~10% lethality rate.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
So named because it was first identified during a legionnaires' convention when a bunch of attendees got sick.

It's be like if there was a major outbreak at a furry convention and that disease because known as fursuit disease.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Unperson_47 posted:

Yeah, it's kinda arbitrary on what you can buy without proof of prescription. CPAP stuff is hard to get a hold of - even just simple velcro straps that I could probably make for $2 - but I bought an O2 regulator no problem so it kinda makes no sense.

The big manufacturers are locked in a patenting hellwar that means an absolute shitload of seemingly rudimentary headgear designs are fiercely protected intellectual property.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Wasn't sure the place to ask, but y'all are knowledgeable! Figure here is as good as anywhere.
I want a heat gun for skinning phones/steam deck. With a side use of screen replacement etc. I'm looking on Amazon but they have like 25 different ali type brands for $20-$25. Then DeWalt/Milwaukee etc for $125+.
Is GoGoNova going to burn down my house? I already have DeWalt drills, so I'd probably go that route if so. I'm likely to use this 2x a year so cheaper is better. What's y'alls thoughts!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Rule #1 of ali, don't buy poo poo that plugs in

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

deong posted:

Wasn't sure the place to ask, but y'all are knowledgeable! Figure here is as good as anywhere.
I want a heat gun for skinning phones/steam deck. With a side use of screen replacement etc. I'm looking on Amazon but they have like 25 different ali type brands for $20-$25. Then DeWalt/Milwaukee etc for $125+.
Is GoGoNova going to burn down my house? I already have DeWalt drills, so I'd probably go that route if so. I'm likely to use this 2x a year so cheaper is better. What's y'alls thoughts!

I just bought a sub-$20 hair dryer when i needed to apply a dbrand leather skin and it worked perfectly fine. If you're not going to use it a lot, i wouldn't bother going for anything pricy

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

codo27 posted:

Rule #1 of ali, don't buy poo poo that plugs in

This applies to both the wall and yourself.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

codo27 posted:

Rule #1 of ali, don't buy poo poo that buttplugs in

Ftfy - stuff that plugs in is totally fine but I'd probably avoid a power supply or something.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

stuff like ugreen power supplies are fine but those are usually cheaper on amazon

don't buy a $1 charger unless you want to end your phone (and maybe more)

Cascadia Pirate
Jan 18, 2011

deong posted:

If you're in the US I feel like the Harbor Freight ones are cheap and fine but I've never used one myself.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I got a screen separator/hot bed on aliexpress for $50. It's large enough for an ipad mini screen. I just picked the one with the highest sale.

I am sick of modern phones that have hard to service screens and hard to replace batteries. I rather replace the screen and gently caress it up myself then keep paying someone to replace them, or keep buying new phones.

Also, those phones with on screen fingerprint sensors are extremely expensive to replace. I won't be buying those phones in the future.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Cascadia Pirate posted:

If you're in the US I feel like the Harbor Freight ones are cheap and fine but I've never used one myself.

Harbor freight ones are $10 right now for black Friday. I think that goes for another day or two.

bar88537
Nov 8, 2004

wa27 posted:

Harbor freight ones are $10 right now for black Friday. I think that goes for another day or two.

A bit of a tangent, but I did Black Friday for a few years at non-big box stores. I went to Harbor Freight like 2-3 years and got small cheap stuff like that and never saw much of a crowd. Other fun places were things like Big Lots or grocery stores.

Back to Temu, they have windows error playing cards.

https://www.temu.com/windows-error-playing-cards-g-6017592186123837.html

And micro cards that have to be useless

https://www.temu.com/mini-poker-thu...9512953974.html

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Those make so little sense.

The error codes are HTTP codes - the things a web server would return to a browser when something is wrong. But they've dressed them up in Windows XP (?) error dialogs. And then tacked on playing card values because they seem to expect people to want to use weird cards to play poker?

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Nov 28, 2022

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Bring back Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

stephenthinkpad posted:

I got a screen separator/hot bed on aliexpress for $50. It's large enough for an ipad mini screen. I just picked the one with the highest sale.

I am sick of modern phones that have hard to service screens and hard to replace batteries. I rather replace the screen and gently caress it up myself then keep paying someone to replace them, or keep buying new phones.

Also, those phones with on screen fingerprint sensors are extremely expensive to replace. I won't be buying those phones in the future.

The reason screens are harder to replace nowadays is because of waterproofing in my experience. I've fixed probably thousands of phones throughout the years and as soon as waterproofing became a thing the phones took twice as long to repair.

Another thing factoring in is the absolute dogshit industrial design some brands have. Apple usually get a lot of flack for having phones that are hard to repair but iPhones are in fact very easy to replace the screen on. Getting spares is another story, but at least in the US you can order genuine spares directly from Apple now. Compare that to Asus who now makes phones that easily take over an hour to repair because of their horrible engineering, even with the proper tools at an authorized workshop.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Those make so little sense.

The error codes are HTTP codes - the things a web server would return to a browser when something is wrong. But they've dressed them up in Windows XP (?) error dialogs. And then tacked on playing card values because they seem to expect people to want to use weird cards to play poker?

I can see having different response code ranges be different suits, but it looks like they are assigned at random.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The suits should have been different versions of Windows.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Tarkus posted:

The CPAP masks are decent and so are the CPAP machines themselves. Here in Canada you need to get a sleep study and pay 4-10x more for a CPAP machine since it's a bit of a racket. I just ordered the machine and titrated it myself, worth every penny and have been able to sleep well for the past few years.

I have extended medical so 80% was covered. The cost was still eye-watering. The provider has also been as relentless as a Florida cruise spammer trying to get me to buy stuff. I guess this is what happens when you allow private interests a direct pipeline to your medical insurance. :canada:

I'm allowed a new machine every 5 years. I didn't see the need to upgrade so I kept mine until the Phillips recall hit. Turns out the foam insulation inside the machine breaks down over time and you get to breathe plastic dust for 8 hours a night. The only advantage over purchasing from AliExpress is that eventually they will replace my machine. I think it's been 2+ years now waiting.

I purchase the masks from AliExpress. Same poo poo for less than the deductible on my insurance. The climate change induced forest fires will get me before the vinyl fumes.

stephenthinkpad posted:

:hfive:

Link?

I am Phone Death personified. I finally upgraded from burner phones to a bottom end Samsung this summer. Killed the screen while waiting for better screen protectors to arrive from AliExpress. I can buy 4+ AliExpress replacement screens for the cost of getting mine replaced so I ordered 2. Works fine and now I have a spare in case the new protectors don't do their job. They are a bit fiddly to replace, worth it though. There's an amazing difference between a 1 GB phone and a 32 GB phone. You can actually do more than text and call on the new one. Who knew?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
US $24.54 32%OFF | Kaisi LCD Screen Separator Heating Platform 110/220V Glass Removal Smooth Plate Screen Separator Lcd Repair Machine
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtiuzGu

It's actually 34 dollar not 50 dollar for the big one. I remembered it wrong.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

stephenthinkpad posted:

US $24.54 32%OFF | Kaisi LCD Screen Separator Heating Platform 110/220V Glass Removal Smooth Plate Screen Separator Lcd Repair Machine
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtiuzGu

It's actually 34 dollar not 50 dollar for the big one. I remembered it wrong.

I'd recommend getting one that has a cutout for protruding cameras in case you have a phone that opens up from the back.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So I bought one of those knockoff Lego kits as it was $15 for a little ghostbusters firehouse and why not.

It came with a card with a QR code to scan to get what it says is a PDF of the manual, but the only thing that comes up is a video of someone putting it together in some software and looks a complete pain to follow compared to the expected pdf.

I’m guessing it’s because it’s a fan design rather than a clone of a Lego set but yeesh this feels like it’s gonna be a struggle even at only a few hundred pieces. I’m guessing Lego design clones have a copy of the regular manual?

I’ve bought some brick sets of little ramen shops etc before which had actual instructions printed at least.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The MOCs can vary between having actual instructions, videos of it being assembled, or videos of the Lego Designer software-generated building sequence, yeah. I’ve had like one of each.
One of the MOCs I found a better set of instructions from the actual designer - and paid for the design from that designer. Another was free to begin with.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks, I’ll google around and see if I can find something better. Even with the video playing on the tv and using the pause button a bunch it feels like it won’t be that much fun ha.

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

I bought something that's actually usable. And for some reason only available on Ali: https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/1005004934717487.html I got 2 JBL 110 partyspeakers which are pretty massive and heavy. Getting a carrying bag makes them so much easier to transport and now i can annoy people everywhere with my loud music. The quality feels very nice for 50 bucks. Padded on all sides, different carrying options, handy zippers so you can reach all the controls. A++ would buy again.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Did someone say they got an electronic car key duplicator? We've lost our second and another one is a couple hundred dollars.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

forest spirit posted:

Did someone say they got an electronic car key duplicator? We've lost our second and another one is a couple hundred dollars.

If they did find the post - I don’t recall one. I did just watch one of my YouTube guys get one from a brand TopDon and it worked great.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.
First time trying to buy an actual "brand name" (albeit Chinese) thing - a Hikvision "villa door panel" (e.g. video doorbell), and then after two weeks they just refunded me as the seller didn't do anything whatsoever. First time that's happened to me.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

forest spirit posted:

Whoa whoa whoa hold the phone. My wife lost my VWs spare fob so being able to get a blank fob and duplicate would be amazing. How would that even work?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

null_pointer posted:

Whoa whoa whoa hold the phone. My wife lost my VWs spare fob so being able to get a blank fob and duplicate would be amazing. How would that even work?

In this video he shows a different plug in unit for duplicating or making new key fobs

https://youtu.be/3JtpQnSZ_VM

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Finally!

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Charles Ford posted:

First time trying to buy an actual "brand name" (albeit Chinese) thing - a Hikvision "villa door panel" (e.g. video doorbell), and then after two weeks they just refunded me as the seller didn't do anything whatsoever. First time that's happened to me.

Someone earlier in this thread warned me off buying hikvision gear from AliExpress - it'll be locked to Chinese firmwares and even if it ships with English hacked in it'll likely brick or revert when updated

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Hikvision is trash anyway, we have some of it at work. Looking for security cameras on the cheap, try Reolink. Really easy to use software.

Is there a serviceable Cricut knockoff anyone can recommend? I wanna be able to make my own stickers

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

codo27 posted:

Hikvision is trash anyway, we have some of it at work. Looking for security cameras on the cheap, try Reolink. Really easy to use software.

Is there a serviceable Cricut knockoff anyone can recommend? I wanna be able to make my own stickers

You can get eclips. which is like a printer, but instead of an ink cartridge it has a knife. As long as you get one that can use any vector file youll be fine.

I got one years ago, and barely use it ><

https://www.sizzix.com/659860/sizzix-eclips2-diy-electronic-cutter-starter-kit

Cascadia Pirate
Jan 18, 2011

codo27 posted:

If you just want to do stickers you could probably get a circuit air used or on a good sale for not too much. I have no idea if there is a cheaper competitor though.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I make all my beer labels with my laser printer, sticker paper from Amazon and my silhouette cameo. It's paid for itself over and over instead of $.75 to $1 per bottle.

I picked it over circuit because gently caress them and their online only software, I had an old one gifted to me and used it 3 times before they said welp too fuckin old and disabled it.

Anything I've Seen on ali is the bigass industrial sized cutters.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

poo poo. Too bad my printers monochrome

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

codo27 posted:

They do cover a different market tho, doing entry & intercom systems on top of IP cameras

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches