Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Henchman of Santa posted:

Still better than Five Finger Death Punch!

Yeah but FFDP will hopefully be cheaper with Ticketmaster flux pricing :v:

Loving the new song. Like Lemming said, it's just lively and bright, which may not be super Metal but is a lot of fun. Dudes got old and realized they get to just keep playing music and doing things together and it shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Grotesquerie - good death / grind. Not enough good grind at the moment

That new High Command album is good fun too.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Real gud

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Kins posted:

They're doing a thing again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u-7rWKnVVo

It's alright but I probably won't remember it tomorrow.
Just listened to this song for the 3rd time and I love it :shobon:

It's inspiring to me that 40 years into their career, they're still making music I enjoy listening to. It hasn't always been that way obviously. There are albums of theirs I'd be totally content never hearing again. But yeah, few bands can produce kickass tunes like this one decades into their career in my eyes.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
the riffs are good and james sounds great

the production on the drums is exceptionally sterile

e: there's also an odd sounding hi-hat hit at 2:20 around all the cymbal chokes but that's me being extremely pedantic

kumba fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 28, 2022

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Rageaholic posted:

Just listened to this song for the 3rd time and I love it :shobon:

It's inspiring to me that 40 years into their career, they're still making music I enjoy listening to. It hasn't always been that way obviously. There are albums of theirs I'd be totally content never hearing again. But yeah, few bands can produce kickass tunes like this one decades into their career in my eyes.

It rules how much fun you can tell they’re having nowadays too.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Axel Serenity posted:

Yeah but FFDP will hopefully be cheaper with Ticketmaster flux pricing :v:

Loving the new song. Like Lemming said, it's just lively and bright, which may not be super Metal but is a lot of fun. Dudes got old and realized they get to just keep playing music and doing things together and it shows.

lol if you don't think the people who still listen to metallica aren't the same people listening to FFDP

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

lol if you don't think the people who still listen to metallica aren't the same people listening to FFDP

Hi. I'm a Metallica tragic and I can't loving stand FFDP.

Also, Kill 'em All vibes from Metallica? Let's fuckin go! Good fuckin' fun blast.

Edit: With "12 tracks totaling over 77 minutes" so about 6 minutes a song. Yeaaahhh there's gonna be riff salads.

H13 fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 28, 2022

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I enjoyed the new Metallica song v much

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

That new High Command album is good fun too.

I'm amending my top 2022 top 10 AotY list to include this AND the new Sonja album that includes the former guitarist from Absu...

https://sonjaband.bandcamp.com/album/loud-arriver

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

There's nothing really bad about that track but it's also instantly forgettable. Not a single part of it stuck in my head after a listen.

These are my exact thoughts. It was fine for 80yo Metallica, but nothing special.

That said, if they announce a show in Sacramento with Pantera opening, count me the gently caress in. Both bands have a gap in their touring schedule when the Aftershock festival is happening here, so I’m hoping they are announced as part of the lineup so I don’t have to spend another $400/ticket.

e: I never got to see Pantera before Dime was shot, unfortunately, so I feel like I need to see this iteration/tribute.

I grew up in Ohio and had tickets to see Damageplan in Columbus at Al Rosa. The only reason I wasn’t there when he was shot was I got called into work the day of and had to bail. Crazy loving poo poo.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 29, 2022

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Ya'll hearing "Kill 'Em All" vibes in the new track... care to elaborate? Because that's one of my favorite albums from any band ever and I'm just not hearing any similarities to it.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
77 minutes long get the gently caress out of here

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

If that's the premier single track then you know Megadeth's latest already owns whatever they're gonna poo poo out

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

12 tracks over 77 minutes sounds like Load to me.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Dead Goon posted:

Load was real good though.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Load was real good though.

A country music fan.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Country music is good.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Dead Goon posted:

11 tracks at 3 and a half minutes each, leaving room for a Dream Theater-esque closing epic, including a 12 minute Lars drum solo.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

moxieman posted:

Ya'll hearing "Kill 'Em All" vibes in the new track... care to elaborate? Because that's one of my favorite albums from any band ever and I'm just not hearing any similarities to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u-7rWKnVVo&t=19s

vs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bW2DMOeDEM&t=32s

No it's not the same song, plus the vocals are a lot more hooky and less "I'm 19 and just gonna scream my balls off" but this is why I used the phrase vibe, rather than knock-off.

The Motorhead drum beat from Overkill helps as well. Also, it kinda sounds more Marshally than Metalllica have in a while? I wonder if they're still using Diezels.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I seem to remember how much hype there was at the time - IT ONLY JUST FITS ON ONE CD! WE HAD TO FADE OUT THE LAST TRACK BECAUSE THERE'S JUST SO MUCH MUSIC!

And then the Big Four thrash band released a hard rock album.

It's not actually a bad album to be fair.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Load is a loving great album.

I mean what a massive shock, that after doing about 3 years of almost non-stop touring for The Black Album, where most shows were 3 hours long, playing setlists which were fairly heavily dominated by the first 4 albums, plus Enter Sandman, Sad But True, and one or two other good songs for The Black Album...

That after all that, the next album you release isn't some speed-obsessed screaming banshee after you just conquered the loving world doing that once before.

Load is the next, most logical step. It's not fair to call it a sellout album because you can tell that they were really into it and doing whatever the gently caress they wanted to.

Reload is a bit meh. That one's a stretch. But Load is solid.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Kill 'Em All doesn't do much for me, tbh, and neither does this track so far, but I'm glad they're still out there making music and having fun.

And yes, Load, appreciated on its own merits is a very good album. Great one, if you treat Load and Reload as one album and take the best tracks from both. I wish they went back to experimenting like that again for an album or two.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Nov 29, 2022

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Megazver posted:

Great one, if you treat Load and Reload as one album and take the best tracks from both.
This is a pretty common sentiment, but getting people to agree on which tracks get kept or turfed seems like a lesson in futility.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
This seems about right to me, but I'd add Devil's Dance:

https://www.loudersound.com/features/metallica-load-reload-best-tracks

Megazver fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Nov 29, 2022

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'd take:

- Aint My Bitch
- 2x4
- House That Jack Built
- Hero Of The Day
- Bleeding Me
- Waste My Hate
- Mama Said
- Outlaw Torn
- Fuel
- Memory Remains
- Devil's Dance
- Carpe Diem Baby
- Where The Wild Things Are
- Low Man's Lyric
- Fixxxer

...okay 8 off Load and 7 off Reload. So probably an even split in hindsight.

But the fact that everybody argues over which songs to keep and which ones ditch I think gives most of the songs credibility. Though Reload has some legit stinkers like Better Than You and Slither. I'd suggest that Load at its worst is meh.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

The album being almost 80 minutes does have me kind of worried tbh. Metallica have desperately needed someone who can sit them down and tell them to edit their riff salads into actual songs for a while. Death Magnetic had a a couple of good songs that got buried under having like four more minutes of bullshit tacked and Hardwired disc 2 should have just been saved and released as B-sides in a box set when they retire or something.

New song's pretty tight though.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Mountaineer made the best new Metallica music.
https://mountaineerslays.bandcamp.com/

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

kumba posted:

the riffs are good and james sounds great

the production on the drums is exceptionally sterile

e: there's also an odd sounding hi-hat hit at 2:20 around all the cymbal chokes but that's me being extremely pedantic

As a self-styled rock drum production nitpicker, I have my own ideas about how it could sound better, but so far it seems "good enough". It's a hell of a lot better than whatever they did here -- the part of the intro where the "toms" come in honestly sounds comedic to me, it's just so weird and fake-sounding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nISE9AJj2Ow

Hulk Krogan posted:

The album being almost 80 minutes does have me kind of worried tbh. Metallica have desperately needed someone who can sit them down and tell them to edit their riff salads into actual songs for a while. Death Magnetic had a a couple of good songs that got buried under having like four more minutes of bullshit tacked and Hardwired disc 2 should have just been saved and released as B-sides in a box set when they retire or something.

New song's pretty tight though.

DM was definitely bloated, which is a shame because I actually really like it for the most part. But it requires some DIY, namely using the Guitar Hero rip so it actually sounds listenable, and then editing some superfluous rabbit trails to shorten a few songs (namely Cyanide, Unforgiven 3, and That Was Just Your Life). That was 10 tracks, so I'm at least glad this one is 12 and the first one is under 4 minutes -- should be a bit more variety. The shortest track on DM, by a long shot, was still over 5 minutes. Really needed a few shorter tracks to break things up.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Unforgiven 3 is actually a pretty solid song that gone dirty by the absolutely stupid title, IMO.

All Nightmare Long rules and I feel like in retrospect, you can kinda hear it's where James started figuring out how to use his head voice (or whatever the actual singing technique it's called) to be able to do the more aggressive high notes again, which he's been doing a ton since.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Hulk Krogan posted:

Unforgiven 3 is actually a pretty solid song that gone dirty by the absolutely stupid title, IMO.

I actually love it, and it's a welcome change of pace from the kinda unrelenting-but-meandering thrash stuff that most of the rest of the album is.

But I did make an edit that removes the final chorus repetition because it just pads the song out unnecessarily. "Forever", cymbal crash, done. No need for the other stuff.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

man i thought i was bad for pantera apologia

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

hyper from Pixie Sticks posted:

11 tracks at 3 and a half minutes each, leaving room for a Dream Theater-esque closing epic, including a 12 minute Lars drum solo.

said drum solo:

new song is forgettable. We're gonna play fast but with zero aggression. It's really tame. Like all Metallica it's probably 100x better live because of the energy of the crowd

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

As a self-styled rock drum production nitpicker, I have my own ideas about how it could sound better, but so far it seems "good enough". It's a hell of a lot better than whatever they did here -- the part of the intro where the "toms" come in honestly sounds comedic to me, it's just so weird and fake-sounding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nISE9AJj2Ow

DM was definitely bloated, which is a shame because I actually really like it for the most part. But it requires some DIY, namely using the Guitar Hero rip so it actually sounds listenable, and then editing some superfluous rabbit trails to shorten a few songs (namely Cyanide, Unforgiven 3, and That Was Just Your Life). That was 10 tracks, so I'm at least glad this one is 12 and the first one is under 4 minutes -- should be a bit more variety. The shortest track on DM, by a long shot, was still over 5 minutes. Really needed a few shorter tracks to break things up.

Aw man, I super loved the groovy intro to Now That We’re Dead.

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I'm amending my top 2022 top 10 AotY list to include this AND the new Sonja album that includes the former guitarist from Absu...

https://sonjaband.bandcamp.com/album/loud-arriver

This is loving great. Thanks for the recommendation. Gives me Unto Others vibes from the heavy reverb on the vocals.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Metallica is just Pantera for men who are physically intimidated by their wives

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Load and Reload sucked

Fuel is cool though

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wachter posted:

Metallica is just Pantera for men who are physically intimidated by their wives

as opposed to Pantera, who is Metallica for men who beat their wives

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

moxieman posted:

I wouldn't have said Kill 'Em All but I did feel like it was a higher-fi Helpless/The Small Hours

also hell yeah this High Command album rips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I declare that load and reload are both excellent! I have my phone set to shuffle iTunes when I start up the car and every drat time a song from one of those albums pops up my husband, who knows nothing about metal, wrinkles his nose and says “what is this poo poo.” Lol. I’ve been getting poo poo for liking those albums ever since middle school but my love for them is unwavering!