Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The worst part is even if you buy the middle model people will still assume you’re a 64gb peasant with your black zip pulls and white dot and no micro fibre cloth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Doctor Zero posted:

Don't forget the feeling of self-loathing you get when you think about how you could have gotten a better one every time you look at it.

That's what family is for!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Another size question: how much of that SSD is taken up by the OS itself?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think the 256GB is perfe--

History Comes Inside! posted:

The worst part is even if you buy the middle model people will still assume you’re a 64gb peasant with your black zip pulls and white dot and no micro fibre cloth

:smith:

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

docbeard posted:

Yeah, I can echo this.

It's apparently not difficult to replace the SSD on the 64 GB model with a much larger drive but, while I'm perfectly comfortable mucking around in a desktop machine, cracking open something like the Deck is a bit too daring for my (very cowardly) blood.

I was very much in this boat, but after that recent SteamOS update confirmed I had one of the loud fans I went ahead and bought a replacement off of iFixIt based on everyone here saying it was so easy. I know you're talking about swapping out the SSD rather than the fan, but comparing the two guides the steps are very similar up until the actual drive replacement.

It was a little bit more involved than I was expecting (partially my fault for doing it tired later in the evening), but if you're comfortable enough replacing something in a desktop I think you'll be fine; I never ran into anything that had me worried I was going to break something. Also while I'm sure that iFixIt toolkit linked earlier is useful to have on hand overall, the replacement kit had everything I needed so if you're doing a one-time swap it may not be necessary.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Doctor Zero posted:

Don't forget the feeling of self-loathing you get when you think about how you could have gotten a better one every time you look at it.

If anything I have the opposite feeling, knowing I can just update the one I have to be better than the more expensive model.

I won't have the screen, but I am hoping someone will make an OLED upgrade kit at some point for it. Not sure how viable that is, but it seems like a bunch of people would bite, so I wouldn't be surprised if it happens.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Curious if anyone is feeling spicy and gives Midnight Suns a try on the deck. Feel like it would work pretty well assuming it can handle it technically.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Athanatos posted:

The emudeck install youtube video I used had me create m3u files listing the disc names in order, then the Ps1 emulator read that and just...picks the right disc I guess?

I just deleted the extra discs from the steam library.

Yeah, I didn't want to have to delete them every time I ran SRM, so I changed the parser glob to not look in subdirectories, and then made m3u files as needed. Haven't tried playing yet, but will this weekend!

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Mescal posted:

tell me if i've got this wrong. when you install any gme you'll get the .NET and... whatever frameworks necessary and they're all siloed and there will be a bunch of redundant ones that take up space. And iif you uninstall a game, it doesn't delete that stuff. gently caress shaders, this appears to be what's taking up my space. am i misunderstanding this?

Heroic at least puts this stuff in folders that have the game's name, so you can manually delete them.

I believe this is basically true.

There's not really a way around this exactly, because each non-native game gets its own WINE prefix, separate from the others, and what's installed in one can't just be symlinked to another. Or idk maybe it can and I'm just a linux dumbdumb, I haven't tried tools like rmlint or duperemove at all. Wonder if they'd make anything break.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Got the Amazon launcher going and spent the morning playing King of the Monsters in HD :hellyeah:

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

PantsBandit posted:

Curious if anyone is feeling spicy and gives Midnight Suns a try on the deck. Feel like it would work pretty well assuming it can handle it technically.

Haven't tried yet, but saw some folks in the game thread saying that it was working well (though I believe the bar was "better than XCOM 2"). What's interesting (and probably most relevant to prior discussions in this thread) is: https://www.dexerto.com/gaming/marvels-midnight-suns-steam-deck-1998714/

Even if Deck optimizations are only a follow-on concern, it's still great to hear that it's something developers are thinking about.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Especially seeing what can be done after some optimization, that is very exciting to hear. Whatever they did to Red Dead Redemption 2 to make it run like it can needs to be printed on stone and buried for future generations.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

stuker posted:

Haven't tried yet, but saw some folks in the game thread saying that it was working well (though I believe the bar was "better than XCOM 2"). What's interesting (and probably most relevant to prior discussions in this thread) is: https://www.dexerto.com/gaming/marvels-midnight-suns-steam-deck-1998714/

Even if Deck optimizations are only a follow-on concern, it's still great to hear that it's something developers are thinking about.

It's the kind of game that looks like it would work well on handheld. I'm a little sad they didn't prioritize it but I'm not surprised given they're targeting so many platforms with it. It sounds like, as with Callisto Protocol, the console versions were prioritized when it came to compatibility and optimization. Also not surprising.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

From what I'm reading, the shared shader cache is going to make it a lot more pleasant to play on the Deck than on other PC setups. Can't wait!

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

bloodychill posted:

It's the kind of game that looks like it would work well on handheld. I'm a little sad they didn't prioritize it but I'm not surprised given they're targeting so many platforms with it. It sounds like, as with Callisto Protocol, the console versions were prioritized when it came to compatibility and optimization. Also not surprising.

I'm gonna give it a try later and report back. The controls definitely seem gamepad-friendly, and I would hope UI concerns are manageable-- if I could deal with the text on XCOM 2 it can't be that bad (and it's coming out on Switch, so readability must have been considered).

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

parasyte posted:

I believe this is basically true.

There's not really a way around this exactly, because each non-native game gets its own WINE prefix, separate from the others, and what's installed in one can't just be symlinked to another. Or idk maybe it can and I'm just a linux dumbdumb, I haven't tried tools like rmlint or duperemove at all. Wonder if they'd make anything break.

well i've got about thirty gigs of this stuff. how do i get rid of it? the folders are all alphanumeric strings so i don't know what games they goto

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
You can plug the App ID into https://steamdb.info/app/305620/ (replace the number in the url with App ID) to resolve it to the name of a game.

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

I am looking through my list of games through the Verified/Playable filters, and oooohhh noooo only 300 of my games are verified what to I doooo...

Seriously though it does look like a good number of my games are at least marked Playable (to say nothing of games that may be good but are untested). The only thing that makes me a bit nervous is when it says that text may be too small. I get that it would vary between games but are there egregious examples?

EDIT: Also, dumb question, but will I be able to get the cloud saves from the PC version of the games I play onto my Deck? I suspect saved settings may be a slight issue?

Test every game youre interested in, even the ones that are marked unplayable often work just by installing the custom proton version and the playable-marking usually means that the game has a launcher you need to poke on the touchscreen to bypass instead of using the face buttons. ProtonDb is your friend.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Antigravitas posted:

You can plug the App ID into https://steamdb.info/app/305620/ (replace the number in the url with App ID) to resolve it to the name of a game.

thanks for the tip! i'll make use of it when i have to, but drat. was this really the plan, to leave that stuff sitting there? it should really just skeedaddle when i uninstall a game. i'll need to start posting on valve's support forums or something, because the stuff that bothers me seems to bother me uniquely, and i can't google up other people's comments on it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Presumably it's left there so that it's less overhead if you want to reinstall the game later, but yeah there should be a setting to auto-delete that stuff, especially for people with like 64GB models.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Mescal posted:

thanks for the tip! i'll make use of it when i have to, but drat. was this really the plan, to leave that stuff sitting there? it should really just skeedaddle when i uninstall a game. i'll need to start posting on valve's support forums or something, because the stuff that bothers me seems to bother me uniquely, and i can't google up other people's comments on it.

Someone on reddit made a script that'll create symlinks to the compatdata folders with the name of the game, both in a shortcuts folder as well as in the compatdata folder itself: https://github.com/DevGuyRash/random_steamdeck_scripts/blob/main/docs/create_links.md That way you have a list of game names and can go delete what's not needed.

There's also this script that can scan your shadercache and compatdata and select what to delete: https://github.com/scawp/Steam-Deck.Shader-Cache-Killer

I have not used either of these, so I do not know if they will do something wrong.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

parasyte posted:

Someone on reddit made a script that'll create symlinks to the compatdata folders with the name of the game, both in a shortcuts folder as well as in the compatdata folder itself: https://github.com/DevGuyRash/random_steamdeck_scripts/blob/main/docs/create_links.md That way you have a list of game names and can go delete what's not needed.

There's also this script that can scan your shadercache and compatdata and select what to delete: https://github.com/scawp/Steam-Deck.Shader-Cache-Killer

I have not used either of these, so I do not know if they will do something wrong.

brilliant!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Those cheapass texture-less cloths are the worst. They just smear stuff around on the screen

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I spent way too long trying to figure out why the gently caress steam rom manager was listing some game called mahjong pretty girls battle, with some big titty anime artwork, before figuring out this is how it lists SNES tactics ogre for some reason.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
The anime tiddy is overflowing its digital bra into everything, there is no escape

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

parasyte posted:

I've used both and they at least seem to be doing the right thing.

The fly in the ointment, in both cases, is dealing with "added-to-Steam" game shortcuts that use a compatibility layer. The create-links script can't see those; the other script tries but often can't figure them out. In neither case does this result in bad things happening, it just means some stuff you might want to delete will go un-deleted.

I was manually digging around in the compdata to see if I could figure out which directories belonged to which of those non-Steam games. If for example you just list out all the files in pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/AppData you'll usually see a savegame or something that will tell you what it is.

I'm left with three directories that don't seem to be associated with any current game (and are also not Proton 7 or Proton Next), and I don't have any non-Steam game unaccounted for. So I figure I might as well just nuke those 3 dirs -- deleting a game's compatdata is supposed to be harmless eh? -- but one weird thing is that one of those compdata directories has a name "0". Yeah just the number zero. That seems like it might be something weird/special? Really hard to Google about though. :-)

Does anyone here know if "compdata/0" is some particular special thing?

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

bloodychill posted:

stuker posted:

I'm gonna give it a try later and report back. The controls definitely seem gamepad-friendly, and I would hope UI concerns are manageable-- if I could deal with the text on XCOM 2 it can't be that bad (and it's coming out on Switch, so readability must have been considered).

Played it on Deck for about 30-40 minutes and everything seemed to work fine-- I didn't really tweak anything but was getting 30fps consistently in the open movement areas, and didn't notice any slowdowns during battles. My biggest complaint is that cloud saves don't seem to be working, so unless that's a planned fix I'll probably need to set up some new syncthing folders.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

stuker posted:

Played it on Deck for about 30-40 minutes and everything seemed to work fine-- I didn't really tweak anything but was getting 30fps consistently in the open movement areas, and didn't notice any slowdowns during battles. My biggest complaint is that cloud saves don't seem to be working, so unless that's a planned fix I'll probably need to set up some new syncthing folders.

drat that sucks on cloud saves. Presumably that is a higher priority fix than the overall deck compatibility.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I can live with that. Eat the rich.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

stuker posted:

Nice. Sounds better than the pc reviews. I can deal with the lack of cloud saves for now even if that sucks a bit. Sounds like I might be picking this sooner rather than later provided no one runs into any showstoppers.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Momomo posted:

If anything I have the opposite feeling, knowing I can just update the one I have to be better than the more expensive model.

I won't have the screen, but I am hoping someone will make an OLED upgrade kit at some point for it. Not sure how viable that is, but it seems like a bunch of people would bite, so I wouldn't be surprised if it happens.

512gb aristocrat here, but my peasant brother settled in the 64gb model. From my experience, games are obscenely large nowadays and I'm looking at having to get an SD card or upgrade anyways if I keep my library installed (elden ring is 150gb alone). The matte screen is nice, but since getting my nreal Airs I never look at it anyways, and my brother's is almost always plugged into a tv or other display. In hindsight, going 64gb plus SD card or ssd upgrade and splurging the price difference on AR glasses is the play. But my special steam deck case? No one can take that away from me.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 3, 2022

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

PageMaster posted:

512gb aristocrat here, but my peasant brother settled in the 64gb model. From my experience, games are obscenely large nowadays and I'm looking at having to get an SD card or upgrade anyways if I keep my library installed (elden ring is 150gb alone). The matte screen is nice, but since getting my nreal Airs I never look at it anyways, and my brother's is almost always plugged into a tv or other display. In hindsight, going 64gb plus SD card or ssd upgrade and splurging the price difference on AR glasses is the play. But my special steam deck case? No one can take that away from me.

Elden Ring is just under 50GB on my PC, though when it was on my deck (64GB peasant with a 128GB SD card I had sitting around) I was always having to clear space so it could download updates and apply them. Still that's shocking.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

HopperUK posted:

Elden Ring is just under 50GB on my PC, though when it was on my deck (64GB peasant with a 128GB SD card I had sitting around) I was always having to clear space so it could download updates and apply them. Still that's shocking.

Elden Ring is definitely 49.89GB on my PC right now.

I have trouble understanding how a Steam Deck version could triple in size.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Just started messing around with mine. Does anyone else have issues with the cloud save files not syncing? It will say everything is up to date, but I am getting no save files on some games where there definitely are saves.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Annath posted:

Elden Ring is definitely 49.89GB on my PC right now.

I have trouble understanding how a Steam Deck version could triple in size.

The extra 100 gigs is so the game doesn’t stutter with the shaders.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
How big an improvement is the GuliKit Stick Replacement?

I don't mind opening up electronics, but I don't have a soldering iron, so replacing the sticks would be a "Project" I'd only attempt if it is truly a significant improvement.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It doesn’t really improve anything it just means you won’t potentially in the future at some point get stick drift.

You may never get stick drift even if you don’t do it.

The only reason to do it now is if you’re really paranoid about stick drift, or you’re cracking it open to do something else and might as well do the sticks while you’re in there, or a combination of the two.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

It does also let you dial back the default dead zone on the sticks to be much smaller if you’re in to that extra bit of snappiness and finesse, but it’s not a huge game changer. Probably best left until your original sticks start failing unless you’re a huge nerd that likes to tinker with hardware poo poo anyway.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0__el4VrTVY

for the poster that was asking about switch emulation recently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0__el4VrTVY

for the poster that was asking about switch emulation recently

the tl;dw