Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

bawfuls posted:

presumably LF where they've already experimented with him

though I'm not sure why you'd take a player with plus-defense upside at a premium position and move him to one of lowest skill defensive positions but hey, Preller works in mysterious ways

Maybe they really do want to trade Tatis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

The padres are like really a small market team lol. I bet they will have to do a marlins style tear down in the next few years.
or maybe every team can afford to spend on good players and the "small market" line is bullshit billionaires use to depress labor costs

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Mike_V posted:

Are the Cubs trying to compete or not? Why sign Taillon and make big overtures for a star SS if you're gonna let your Mike Piazza-lite walk for nothing?

They are not trying to compete. They'll make a safe free agent signing here and there (less than 5 years, less than $100 million) so they aren't horrendous. Otherwise, they're content to sit around the middle of the pack in payroll, win 70-80 games, and hope a bunch of prospects all pan out at around the same time.

I was hoping to be wrong and see them finally splurge for a star, but at this point signing Dansby Swanson feels like a monumental ask.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I am completely on fire and I hate it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

bawfuls posted:

or maybe every team can afford to spend on good players and the "small market" line is bullshit billionaires use to depress labor costs

:hmmyes:

It’s definitely nice to see guys getting paid, even if it doesn’t always make sense on paper. Teams can more than afford these contracts and the last few offseasons felt like everything was trending toward undervalued team-friendly deals.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Red Sox just don't loving care anymore huh?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Monathin posted:

quick guardians sign Sean Murphy while everyone is getting mad about the Boegarts signing!!! it's the perfect crime!

Back off he's ours.

Please no Dansby Swanson I cannot imagine a more boring SS to get out of the plethora that were available.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

SirFozzie posted:

Yeah, as a Sox fan, I love X, but I do not love him anywhere NEAR 11 years/280 million.

And now that weight on Marcelo Mayer's shoulders just went up exponentially.

Who’d you rather have Bogaerts for 25 per or Story for 23 per. Not close imo.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

bawfuls posted:

I had an argument with someone I play basketball with last night about just this thing. His argument boiled down to "if they could afford to max out payroll they would"

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

presumably LF where they've already experimented with him

though I'm not sure why you'd take a player with plus-defense upside at a premium position and move him to one of lowest skill defensive positions but hey, Preller works in mysterious ways

Also as Craig Goldstein pointed out on Twitter, Machado has an opt-out next year, so they may be realigning the whole IF then.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

more falafel please posted:

Yeah the Phillies definitely need a DH

I mean, having 7 got them to the World Series. Adding one more is clearly the key to winning it.

Padres really putting the FO in FOMO

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

mcmagic posted:

It’s actually pretty close because it’s $2 million and that’s pocket change for these guys.

Edit: sorry I completely misread the above post ^^^

Glad to see the Padres go all-in in such a bizarre way. They need one more pitcher but expectations are gonna be sky-high going into next season

illcendiary fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Dec 8, 2022

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wow. That’s a hell of a contract.

I really do hope Correa ends up back in Minnesota but I now half fear he gets a panic monster contract from Boston and I have to be annoyed by him forever.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Red posted:

I mean, having 7 got them to the World Series. Adding one more is clearly the key to winning it.

Padres really putting the FO in FOMO

and the Cubs really putting the MO in FOMO

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
The Padres lineup is pretty loving scary for the coming season at very least regardless of how all this looks in 6 years

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

bawfuls posted:

:hai:

Also the Padres have nearly $60mil coming off the books in pitching after this season and another $35m after Manny opts out :shrug: Building around Tatis, Xander, and (probably) one of Soto or Machado for literally the next decade doesn't strike me as the worst plan.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Intruder posted:

I had an argument with someone I play basketball with last night about just this thing. His argument boiled down to "if they could afford to max out payroll they would"

Trickle down economics works damnit! The billionaires are just poor!

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Popete posted:

Back off he's ours.

Please no Dansby Swanson I cannot imagine a more boring SS to get out of the plethora that were available.

What's the point in trading for Murphy now? Gut the farm system so the team can win 76 games instead of 74? That feels like a Jim Hendry move.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
On paper the Padres have read like a team that should have easily won the WS at least once in the last 3 seasons.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Niwrad posted:

What's the point in trading for Murphy now? Gut the farm system so the team can win 76 games instead of 74? That feels like a Jim Hendry move.

3 more years of team controls and he is a good offensive catcher. I'd like to see the Cubs pick him up and give him an extension.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Kinda feels like this year might be the start of the end of the Dodgers domination of the NL West.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

lol that's adorable

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The idea with Tatis is probably to eventually turn him into a centerfielder.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Popete posted:

and give him an extension.

Oh is Ricketts selling the team?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Paracaidas posted:

:hai:

Also the Padres have nearly $60mil coming off the books in pitching after this season and another $35m after Manny opts out :shrug: Building around Tatis, Xander, and (probably) one of Soto or Machado for literally the next decade doesn't strike me as the worst plan.
the flaw in that plan is in this post: they need pitching after this year

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

Oh is Ricketts selling the team?

I wish

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Popete posted:

3 more years of team controls and he is a good offensive catcher. I'd like to see the Cubs pick him up and give him an extension.

They aren't going to extend him and they aren't looking to be competitive in the coming years. You trade prospects for good players when you're competing. The Cubs are not.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

Kinda feels like this year might be the start of the end of the Dodgers domination of the NL West.
they had a 22-win gap to make up this winter, I'll believe it when I see it

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

On paper the Padres have read like a team that should have easily won the WS at least once in the last 3 seasons.

I haven't watched a lot of Padres games, but Bob Melvin horribly mis-managed the bullpen in the NLCS. Without doing additional research, I might guess Bob isn't utilizing the team's talent as best he could.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

bawfuls posted:

the flaw in that plan is in this post: they need pitching after this year
People keep talking about planning for roboumps but the Preller StrikeOMatic plan has legs!

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Wow. That’s a hell of a contract.

I really do hope Correa ends up back in Minnesota but I now half fear he gets a panic monster contract from Boston and I have to be annoyed by him forever.

Feel like this will happen. Much like when the Mets lost DeGrom and got JV. There's also the tie with Alex Cora.

This is why I love these deals. Mass hysteria, dogs and cats living together.

https://twitter.com/redsoxstats/status/1600727185169563649?s=20&t=eHY-C5gclY2q6RorGgFZsg

MrMidnight fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 8, 2022

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

bawfuls posted:

they had a 22-win gap to make up this winter, I'll believe it when I see it

They have a zero win gap to make up because their records are 0-0 right now. I do think they’re a pitcher short of true WS contention but the Dodgers lost Turner and have what to show for it so far?

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

mcmagic posted:

Story, because Bogaerts got ELEVEN years. Story has what, 5 more?

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Basically, this is the Sox fandom right now:

Every Right Thinking Red Sox Fan: "We love you X, we want to keep you. What's it going to take to keep you?"

X: "The Padres have offered me 11 years, 280 million and a full no-trade.

Every Right Thinking Red Sox Fan: "Let us help you pack. We'll miss you."

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

illcendiary posted:

They have a zero win gap to make up because their records are 0-0 right now. I do think they’re a pitcher short of true WS contention but the Dodgers lost Turner and have what to show for it so far?
The Dodgers have lost pieces and the Padres have gained some thus far this winter yes. I do not believe the net change has been 20-ish wins. I don't think they entered the winter with rosters of equal strength.

This is far from the first winter people have predicted the Padres would unseat LA, and so far we haven't seen that manifest over 162 games.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

SirFozzie posted:

Basically, this is the Sox fandom right now:

Every Right Thinking Red Sox Fan: "We love you X, we want to keep you. What's it going to take to keep you?"

X: "The Padres have offered me 11 years, 280 million and a full no-trade.

Every Right Thinking Red Sox Fan: "Let us help you pack. We'll miss you."

I’d rather have the better player for the remaining life (5 years or whatever) of Story’s contract. The AAV and contract length is a John Henry problem not a fan problem.

In 6-7 years with additional TV money the AAV is going to make up a smaller and smaller percentage of these teams’ caps

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

bawfuls posted:

The Dodgers have lost pieces and the Padres have gained some thus far this winter yes. I do not believe the net change has been 20-ish wins. I don't think they entered the winter with rosters of equal strength.

This is far from the first winter people have predicted the Padres would unseat LA, and so far we haven't seen that manifest over 162 games.

If we’re being honest the difference is more like 30 games (going off pythag) lol

But yeah you’re right the Padres will figure out how to somehow squeeze only 91 wins out of this team I bet

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

MrMidnight posted:

Feel like this will happen. Much like when the Mets lost DeGrom and got JV. There's also the tie with Alex Cora.

There’s also that’s gnawing draw at the back of his mind to get to become the biggest villain to NY and folk hero to Boston in a long time. His troll sense is tingling.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Best 1-4 in the game?

https://twitter.com/TalkinBaseball_/status/1600732466007969793?s=20&t=KPEsgGkyKqTjsxgzT4m-tw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
I wouldn't be surprised to see something like Kim and a couple pitching prospects (or Morejon) for Kepler and Arraez.