Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

StarkRavingMad posted:

I think the Outpost Liaison broke in my game :smith:

She's just been hanging out in my tavern socializing. Never met with my Mayor or got our demands. My Mayor hasn't been busy, he's just been wandering around doing basic chores like hauling.

But there's this:

It seems like the game thinks that this birdwoman is supposed to attend a meeting? Maybe it somehow confused my Mayor with this visitor?

So I thought, okay, maybe I'll fix the game by sending my military out to kill her. I mean, a shame we have to murder the peaceful birdwoman but if she's somehow usurped my ability to communicate with the Liaison, it has to be done. Except:

Birdwoman is hanging out roughly in outer space. I'm going to have to build the Tower of Babel to try and get to her if she is the issue. Meanwhile it's now late Winter and the Liaison is still just chilling in the tavern. She seems happy at least but I can't shake the feeling the Mountainhomes are gonna be pissed she never came home. The trade caravan left months ago.
Sometimes the liason just hangs out, it's never broken anything for me. I'm glad you didn't do a hit. :stoked:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Clocks posted:

I now have four zombie-dwarves. Luckily my novice doctor is on the case:

I can't seem to put them back into the military but can otherwise assign them labors as usual. Cool, I guess?

This would be even better if you could have reanimated body parts as full fortress citizens. Can’t wait to have a goblin right femur legendary craftsman taking orders from the brain flopping around on the floor that just got elected mayor.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Zereth posted:

Wait are you saying undead raised by friendly necromancers are no longer hostile to everybody in your fort that's NOT undead? :aaaaaa: this changes EVERYTHING

Necromancers will raise your dead dwarves into intelligent undead who retain their memories and loyalties but regular undead will still want to murder everyone alive so don't let him near your butcher shop.

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

did you know goblins can loving parley with you

since when can you diplomacy a loving goblin

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I finally got my cat population under control, you need a farming workshop not a butcher to geld them.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I can't designate doors as tightly closed, nor can I make them internal / external. Am I blind or?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Nessus posted:

You aren't hosed yet, though you're certainly not in a good spot. If any of the spaces you've already mined out have so much as a single copper ore boulder, and you still have some logs, you can build a wood furnace and make some charcoal -> use that fuel to melt the copper in a smelter, and then in a forge to -> make FOUR picks.

You may have to wait for the caravan, of course.

I popped open the hatch for a moment and they got the picks and I was back in business. Then I did it again to let a huge bunch of people in who all wanted to join.

then i forgot i had it open and most of the undead disappeared except this one straggler with its guts hanging out and they snuck in. slaughtered everynoe down to like 9 random elf kids and performers who joined up. the zombie still lives but hit the cavern layer and suddenly the siege ended.

as i was typing this i suddenly exploded to 18 dwarves with my first migrant wave in ages.

im kind of not a fan of this specific fort and with all my og dwarves gone i kinda feel no connection to these people lol. plus so much gore everywhere now. so i kinda still wanna abandon this place lol

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Do random merchants just hang around if you have a banging tavern? I have a few, and the diplomacy blue alert flashes but just disappears if I click on it.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Qubee posted:

I can't designate doors as tightly closed, nor can I make them internal / external. Am I blind or?

I'm wondering the same thing. I wanna keep critters out of my goose farm without having to do weird things with floodgates.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Gosts posted:

did you know goblins can loving parley with you

since when can you diplomacy a loving goblin

I always assumed dwarven diplomacy was just an axe to the face so this is news to me

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

A Dingo Man named Bendi Flutetrampled who is a bard showed up at my tavern. He has poor social awareness, is not creative, and is overconfident.

He is requesting to stay so he can entertain. I feel like I have to say yes.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the blind cave fish woman that visited turned out to be a FRUAD and a THEIF. what the hell

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Tiler Kiwi posted:

the blind cave fish woman that visited turned out to be a FRUAD and a THEIF. what the hell

Sounds like you were...robbed blind

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Something else I figured out today, if you need to get the value of any room up (temple, guildhall, noble's room, whatever) and you don't want to jam a million statutes in there, build a stone pedestal and put it in the room as a "display" under furniture. You can click it after it is placed and decide what to display there. Slap some valuable artifact or masterwork craft on the display and it counts toward the room value. I took my tiny crap guildhall all the way to a Grand Guildhall with one master cut gem.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

How tf do you build stairs up in this version. Like let's say you carved out a corridor and you decide after the fact, alright, I want to make stairs up from here but there's a ceiling up there. It won't let me build anything because I need to set the building designation to span at least 2 levels and there's only 1 level to build on :psyduck:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Nessus posted:

Sometimes the liason just hangs out, it's never broken anything for me. I'm glad you didn't do a hit. :stoked:

I hope you're right, because I don't see any easy way to fix the problem right now! Not that we really need the Liaison anymore or the caravans, my fortress is at like 2000 food and 1000 drink for 73 dwarves right now, and we're smelting our own weapons and armor. Past the first cavern, and continuing to dig deeply and greedily. I know nothing ever goes wrong with that.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

QuantaStarFire posted:

Necromancers will raise your dead dwarves into intelligent undead who retain their memories and loyalties but regular undead will still want to murder everyone alive so don't let him near your butcher shop.

Ah, so still somewhat dangerous to have around, but there's also upsides.

Qubee posted:

Is "internal/external" for when you designate rooms by flooding them out from a chair/table/statue/etc? You don't do that anymore, you select an area which might contain more than one actual "room". As for tightly closed, I think any closed door will block water now but somebody had like, a kea steal something from a doored stockpile earlier in the thread.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

MonkeyforaHead posted:

How tf do you build stairs up in this version. Like let's say you carved out a corridor and you decide after the fact, alright, I want to make stairs up from here but there's a ceiling up there. It won't let me build anything because I need to set the building designation to span at least 2 levels and there's only 1 level to build on :psyduck:
Based on reports from other people in the thread: You can't, you need to go dig a down staircase from the level above, you can't really build "up" properly.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Zereth posted:

Ah, so still somewhat dangerous to have around, but there's also upsides.

Is "internal/external" for when you designate rooms by flooding them out from a chair/table/statue/etc? You don't do that anymore, you select an area which might contain more than one actual "room". As for tightly closed, I think any closed door will block water now but somebody had like, a kea steal something from a doored stockpile earlier in the thread.

Yeah I'm having the same drat problem. A flock of keas are just wreaking havoc in my stockpile that's underground, doored off and 100% has zero breaches. I get periodic notifications that they've stolen 5 meat, or 5 cheese (which loving hurts), or rope. I can't stop them at all. I have everything properly stockpiled indoors and behind doors so I guess this is my life now?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
some angry dogs chained up in the entrance to your fort can deal with those sorts of intruders.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Zereth posted:

Wait are you saying undead raised by friendly necromancers are no longer hostile to everybody in your fort that's NOT undead? :aaaaaa: this changes EVERYTHING

Yup! I have 4 zombie dwarves now. They can do labor like usual; the only thing they can't seem to do is be assigned to the military (but they will fight stuff if they see it, albeit by punching it). That said since these 4 were military to start with they basically just haul stuff and hang out praying to gods and feeling nothing.

To be honest it feels kind of a bit cheat-ery. Like these dwarves had their skulls smashed in and they're walking around and literally no one cares. Realistically I feel like their existence should provide negative thoughts unless your dwarves are into necromancy... then again, the main god of my fort is the god of death and murder so maybe it's appropriate.

There's a friendly undead troglodyte my necromancer raised up as well. That thing doesn't even move off the stairs it was on.

I currently have two forgotten beasts roaming around the second cavern layer, but there shouldn't be a way for them to get out so I guess I'll leave them there.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Eiba posted:

I've got a terrible need to read all the posts in a thread, but this one keeps getting away from me and I want a gang tag! (If those are still going on, pretty far behind in the thread.) So gently caress it, skipping to the end of the thread to write this little story up:

I settled on the sandy slopes of a volcano which, of course, means infinite green glass. I'm going to make everything out of glass by the time I'm done and post pictures, but for now I'm just figuring out new systems that were introduced in the last decade. For instance taverns and guests.

I broke into the caverns really early on and the spores that filled my underground animal pasture evidently also alerted every single human adventurer on the continent. At first I was accepting all of them because why not? I wanted to see what they'd do. Turns out they'd all die to cave crocodiles and haunt me while I figure out how to engrave a slab with their stupid memories. "Here lies human 4- he also died to the same cave crocodile," etc.

So I close off the deep caves. Too many humans turning into ghosts down there. Except one of the human adventurers didn't die. He also hasn't bothered leaving since I closed the caves up a year ago. He's just hanging out in my tavern all day, drinking constantly, and presumably boasting about what a mighty warrior he is (he's not, he's an acceptable swordsman, nothing more) if only the dwarves would let him duel the dreaded cave crocodile.

Eventually I just take the time to look at what he's actually thinking, and how he's interacting with my dwarves. Apparently it's a dwarven poetry night. Half a dozen of my dwarves are there, as well as a human noble, and this useless monster hunter.

After one of the performances I notice this monster hunter is aroused. Okay, weird. No one else has that reaction to dwarven poetry. He must be into that dwarf. But then after the next poem he's aroused again, different dwarf, different gender. This continues for a while with him being a horny creep in the back of my tavern until the human noble takes his turn at poetry. The monster hunter is merely "interested" by this.

That's when I realize the layabout monster hunter must have a dwarf fetish. He came to my dwarven settlement to "slay monsters" but just spends all day drinking and perving on dwarves specifically.

So at this point my plan is to figure out burrows so this guy can go and become a ghost like his friends without risking my own dwarves running down there to loot his equipment.

So that's my story. Gang tag please.

This rocks.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Will skill rust eventually delete a skill? Like straight up even remove Dabbling skill?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Kenning posted:

This rocks.

I love that this game can independently create the stereotypical D&D bard

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Clocks posted:

Yup! I have 4 zombie dwarves now. They can do labor like usual; the only thing they can't seem to do is be assigned to the military (but they will fight stuff if they see it, albeit by punching it). That said since these 4 were military to start with they basically just haul stuff and hang out praying to gods and feeling nothing.

To be honest it feels kind of a bit cheat-ery. Like these dwarves had their skulls smashed in and they're walking around and literally no one cares. Realistically I feel like their existence should provide negative thoughts unless your dwarves are into necromancy... then again, the main god of my fort is the god of death and murder so maybe it's appropriate.

There's a friendly undead troglodyte my necromancer raised up as well. That thing doesn't even move off the stairs it was on.

I currently have two forgotten beasts roaming around the second cavern layer, but there shouldn't be a way for them to get out so I guess I'll leave them there.
I once managed to get a immortal dorf necromancer to join my fort, and after a very hard fought battle against a demon where, out of a fort of over 200 dorfs, only he and 3 old dorfs survived, he proceeded to raise the entire fort as intelligent undead, ending with the three dorfs that died of old age.
I'm pretty sure that fort would survive forever, had I left it running - however it got boring because every enemy that'd attack would be defeated in short order.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

So I guess my fort is now just a loving 7-11 to the local Kea population and provides them free food with zero repercussions.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's a 3rd party app that in prior versions let you program extensive dig macros so you could, e.g., just hit a few buttons and have your whole fort laid out. None of those macros work any more because all the keybindings changed.

I had a bunch of neat designs I liked saved (a spiral staircase, fractal workshop layout, etc.) and would just replicate them with each fort.

I'd have to redesign most of them anyway just due to minecarts existing now but still. Arg.

thunderspanks posted:

Has anyone figured out if/how macros work with mouse control?

enable keyboard cursor in settings.
and add m and enter at start of each macro sequence. The macro change is still annoying, there is separate cursor for keyboard inputs

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I once managed to get a immortal dorf necromancer to join my fort, and after a very hard fought battle against a demon where, out of a fort of over 200 dorfs, only he and 3 old dorfs survived, he proceeded to raise the entire fort as intelligent undead, ending with the three dorfs that died of old age.
I'm pretty sure that fort would survive forever, had I left it running - however it got boring because every enemy that'd attack would be defeated in short order.
Reminds me of this old story:
http://www.eldritchdark.com/writings/short-stories/151/necromancy-in-naat

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Bit odd. Apparently different gobbo civs can attack at the same time and they don't get along. had a bundle of about 6 snatchers turn away and get pincushioned by the sieging goblins. About the same time a hammerdwarf decided that the well safe inside the fort wasn't good enough for his waterskin, and needed it from the brook the goblin infighting was at. So he ignores my burrow and my squad command, and goes charging a siege of crossbows and archers.

He... did surprisingly well. A lot of the shots were copper against his iron armor, so he got in and bashed apart several. Got dogpiled eventually though and died. Though the last snatcher decided to go berserk and rushed a pikegoblin, managed to wrestle the weapon out of his hands, and stab three more goblins before dying. That was enough to break the siege.

I imagine some militia commander is watching from the hill side, befuddled and unsure if they should be happy or not.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Qubee posted:

So I guess my fort is now just a loving 7-11 to the local Kea population and provides them free food with zero repercussions.
Chain up some (carnivorous) animals at the entrance to your food stockpile. Carnivorous because they don't need to eat.

If it's out in the open: Fix that, put it underground or wall it in.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Has anyone else had a problem with dwarves leaving food everywhere? Every time I look at my living quarters area, I find +roasted mule tripe+ on the floor and have to designate it for disposal. What gives? Is my fort full of roommates who leave rotten food in the sink?

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
So, I mentioned how I was unable to figure out how to butcher my yaks, and commented I might just build a wall and let them breed on the surface. I now have a decent idea how to butcher them, but I went ahead and built the wall two z levels tall, with the lowest wall being two tiles thick and the top wall being a single tile thick. I also installed a 3 tile wide moat around the entire thing and stuck a drawbridge over it.

Then I noticed the waves were slowly filling the moat, and decided to speed things along by channeling out a two wide ditch to the ocean. So now my moat is not only filled with water, but occasionally also has sharks in it.

During the building process, some wandering night demon thing just wandered along and injured two of my dwarves before leaving. They've been in hospital ever since and despite the fact I have a chief medical dwarf diagnostician no one is willing to diagnose them and I kind of want them to get back to work.

One of the injured dwarves is my manager, and he'll still allow me to do workshop specific work orders, though his foot is mangled. The other just has a mangled rib. I think she's just being a baby. If anyone knows how to make the diagnostician do his loving job, let me know.

Anyway, the wall is two tiles tall because an impala man jumped over the one tile tall version. I was unimpressed and ordered the base widened to provide a place for dwarves to stand while making the second floor, and a moat added to drown any fucker who thinks of trying it again.

Unlike the rest of you lot, my poo poo is not being stolen by keas. Though my primary entrance through the aquifer seems to be inexplicably leaking through the block walls, and I have given up on figuring out how this is happening and stopping it, since it looks like a bug. Seems like I'll just have to get used to the fact that dwarves will occasionally get happy thoughts from water falling down the ramp and drying up as they pass.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Pickled Tink posted:

During the building process, some wandering night demon thing just wandered along and injured two of my dwarves before leaving. They've been in hospital ever since and despite the fact I have a chief medical dwarf diagnostician no one is willing to diagnose them and I kind of want them to get back to work.

One of the injured dwarves is my manager, and he'll still allow me to do workshop specific work orders, though his foot is mangled. The other just has a mangled rib. I think she's just being a baby. If anyone knows how to make the diagnostician do his loving job, let me know.

You have to make a new labor. For some reason treating your dwarves is not something enabled by default. When selecting the new labor, healthcare is its own section. I just let everyone get in on it to get the idiots out of the hospital ASAP.

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Dec 10, 2022

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I found I needed to assign doctors to the specific hospital zone to get them to treat patients.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Some of my dwarves names are flashing is that bad?

One is one of those "legendary at a lot of doctor stuff" migrants that is probably bad and the other was a migrant too

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
After a few aborted attempts I've finally settled on a fortress I'll try to stick with longer term. I started at a lakeside that blocks off two edges of the map and decided to start with a somewhat un-dwarfy opening by building an above-ground inn for my dwarves while I figure out what the heck I want to do with the underground design, of which I've only dug out the entranceway and central shaft.

While I was building all that the first merchant caravan came, and things were uneventful... until the caravan left, apparently coinciding with the local wild boars getting agitated. My dwarves mostly watched in horror as 3-5 feral hogs butchered the merchants and their two guards as they left the map and killed a couple of my residents as well. One of the boars was slain with a heroic strike from one of my woodcutters that decapitated it, while another, having earned a name through violence, still roams the edge of the map. I've decided to erect a small building that will serve as the aboveground entrance to what will no doubt become a sprawling mausoleum complex for the casualties to come. I also got a legendary musician and a legendary doctor in my first couple of migration waves, which may be an indicator of fun stuff to come...

Before I make a dire mistake with my plumbing, does anyone know if water flowing through a diagonal gap still depressurizes it? I've relied on that trick a lot in the past, and I don't want to run into a nasty surprise if it no longer works.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

Some of my dwarves names are flashing is that bad?

One is one of those "legendary at a lot of doctor stuff" migrants that is probably bad and the other was a migrant too

No, the opposite. Flashing name means they have a legendary skill. You'll want to keep them safe for the most part. Notice that after a strange mood finishes, most of the time they'll gain the flashing name.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

kdrudy posted:

Just requoting this because I searched back a ways for it in case anyone else is looking.

I put it in the op :eng101:

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2898529592

quote:

============================
Big Monkey Milkers "Essential Mod"
============================

(o)(o) (o)(o) === Mod Summery === (o)(o) (o)(o)

Gorillas have bwoobs so why not milk em? Am I right? Well now you can with this essential mod, The oversight of these developers made this game practically unplayable, but with this essential mod the game will once again be in a playable state with these big milky gorillas, producing cheese and warm frothy drinks for everyone.

<(O)><(O)><(O)><(O)><(O)><(O)><(O)><(O)><(O)><(O)><(O)><(O)><(O)><(O)><(O)><(O)>

What does this mod do?
* Fixes very important day 1) Launch missing features.
* Adds the jungle juice and all the other gorilla dairy related products such as gorilla cheese.
* Oh and the gorilla is an exotic mount for good measure.

Have fun and lactate responsibly my friends.

<(O)><(O)><(O)><(O)><(O)><(O)><(O)><(O)><(O)><(O)><(O)><(O)><(O)><(O)><(O)><(O)>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Popete posted:

Is there a difference making walls out of block versus stone?

One stone creates 4 blocks and the constructing dwarf can move with the block without being slowed down. So it's better to use blocks.