Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

zoux posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1601346974325751808

Lmao what the gently caress fourteen years four hundred million and he said no? I’ll assume heyman is just wrong

That's less than the AAV he's getting with the Yanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, I guess I was shocked by the years. That would tie tatis

I guess the effect of these massively long deals is that the luxury tax is working to put big time stars on long term contracts with the same team so you get continuity and get away from the rooting-for-laundry thing that used to happen. But it's such a departure from the way teams have been doing business. There are 7 players that are on double digit year deals - Cole and Judge have 9 - and outside of Stanton they were all signed in the last 4 years.

zoux fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 10, 2022

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

the other thing to is that if you assume he's getting an AAV of 10 million less per year, the value of that "lost" money at the start of the contract is higher than it will be when he starts making it up at the end so the yankee deal might still be worth more anyway.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

mcmagic posted:

There are like 2 posters on this site that i hate. The rest are fine. Including folks who aren't the biggest fans of mine.

We're friends right mcmagic?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

maffew buildings posted:

the ignore button is for cowards you must read every post and let the hate fill you

Honestly I'm far more likely to read a post if I have someone on ignore out of sheer curiosity

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kirios posted:

We're friends right mcmagic?

i wouldn't go that far

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Intruder posted:

Honestly I'm far more likely to read a post if I have someone on ignore out of sheer curiosity

Same, it’s infuriating

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

the other thing to is that if you assume he's getting an AAV of 10 million less per year, the value of that "lost" money at the start of the contract is higher than it will be when he starts making it up at the end so the yankee deal might still be worth more anyway.

There's no way that deal wasn't front loaded to at least match the Yankees first 9 years. It would probably have a bunch of 10 million dollar years tacked on at the end where they'd just release judge and have it on the books for later as a cost of doing business.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

There's no way that deal wasn't front loaded to at least match the Yankees first 9 years. It would probably have a bunch of 10 million dollar years tacked on at the end where they'd just release judge and have it on the books for later as a cost of doing business.

I dunno, this part makes me think that's probably not likely

xbilkis posted:

(That article also says the hypothetical Padres contract probably would have been rejected by the league for luxury tax circumvention, which is surprising to me given how lax sports leagues usually are about stuff like that)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Milovan Drecun posted:

I like what some other poster said about using ignore as a gentle reminder not to engage with some people, not necessarily to truly ignore them.

Yep. It’s a self control device for me. When I can’t trust myself not to bite at the bait or respond to the bad faith I get some help from ignore.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

I dunno, this part makes me think that's probably not likely

Ya they tacked on extra years at a low salary to lower the AAV. It's the same stuff NHL teams did when the cap was first introduced. Player collects the same money they would have regardless, team gets a lower aav to avoid the upper cap limit.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It also just kind of sounds like something San Diego desperately threw out there to get back into the conversation after they were already out.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Ya they tacked on extra years at a low salary to lower the AAV. It's the same stuff NHL teams did when the cap was first introduced. Player collects the same money they would have regardless, team gets a lower aav to avoid the upper cap limit.

You know I thought the tax was just based on current year not AAV but I went and looked it up and well there it is.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
It's basically what D-AS is already saying, but total value is much more important than AAV when talking about any deal covering a player's age 39+ seasons. The list of competent hitters in that age range shrinks in half every year until there's basically nobody left. It's almost inconceivable that Judge would command $40 million plus as a FA in 9 years, even considering inflation. If your goal is to maximize career earnings, you take that $400 million and don't give a gently caress about the AAV.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Milovan Drecun posted:

It's basically what D-AS is already saying, but total value is much more important than AAV when talking about any deal covering a player's age 39+ seasons. The list of competent hitters in that age range shrinks in half every year until there's basically nobody left. It's almost inconceivable that Judge would command $40 million plus as a FA in 9 years, even considering inflation. If your goal is to maximize career earnings, you take that $400 million and don't give a gently caress about the AAV.

The value of a dollar 12 years ago is worth about $1.37 today. If the deal isn't frontloaded and is actually evenly spread out you're giving away money by "deferring" it for later years unless you're outpacing that growth. It's why you keep seeing teams do actual deferred money contracts that seem like overpays and then give everyone a laugh on Bobby Bonilla day.

That doesn't even factor in what you could technically do with the money via investments or whatever, either.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

IcePhoenix posted:

The value of a dollar 12 years ago is worth about $1.37 today. If the deal isn't frontloaded and is actually evenly spread out you're giving away money by "deferring" it for later years unless you're outpacing that growth. It's why you keep seeing teams do actual deferred money contracts that seem like overpays and then give everyone a laugh on Bobby Bonilla day.

That doesn't even factor in what you could technically do with the money via investments or whatever, either.

Sorry, you're entirely right it matters how it would be structured. The original comment didn't distinguish this, and only talked about AAV, so I guess I was also assuming that the first 9 years would be structured the same as the Yankees deal. But perhaps I misunderstood what the original poster was saying.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

Yep. It’s a self control device for me. When I can’t trust myself not to bite at the bait or respond to the bad faith I get some help from ignore.

I've personally never used the ignore feature here (not my cup of tea), but based upon our conversations I could see it being a healthy long term thing for you to do if you wanna stick around.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I just don't see the massive need for offense. More's always better but they have a legit looking lineup going into this season.

I don't think the plan is for Trammell or Kelenic to start the year as an everyday LFer and I don't think that's what's going to happen.

I think that there are at least 5 guys in the Mariners lineup now who can give you a 130+ wRC+ season at the plate -- Julio, Teo, Cal, Geno, Ty -- and if the idea of platooning Wong and Moore at 2B works out you could probably add that there too. Add a vet LFer like WIl Myers or AJ Pollack or Adam Duvall or whoever and you really only have one hole in your lineup every day in Crawford.

Biggest move left is going to be getting Marco out of the rotation IMO.

They had an opportunity to improve 4-5 wins hitting wise this offseason and they did not. Huge holes at positions where this FA class was deep. It's unconscionable.

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Dec 10, 2022

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Its Rinaldo posted:

It's unconscionable.

Lol

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Its Rinaldo posted:

They had an opportunity to improve 4-5 wins hitting wise this offseason and they did not. Huge holes at positions where this FA class was deep. It's unconscionable.

Unless you think they were going to move Ty off starting 1B or that they could have beat the Padres for Boegarts I don't think this is really true.

The Nimmo deal looks bad but maybe they could have been in on that? Not signing Quintana for around what the Mets did is a much bigger deal IMO.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

should trade Adell for Kelenic, just to see what happens

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

why would dipoto sign free agents when he could do TRADES

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I'm a few pages behind and getting caught up, but I mostly just lurk this thread these days because I have three really young kids now that I'm trying to teach to not be Cubs fans, but pretty much everyone here and in SAS is cool and awesome and it's probably the best part of SA IMO, so no-one should leave due to the occasional Bad Post (and I say this as a long-time Bad Poster).

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

SourKraut posted:

I'm a few pages behind and getting caught up, but I mostly just lurk this thread these days because I have three really young kids now that I'm trying to teach to not be Cubs fans, but pretty much everyone here and in SAS is cool and awesome and it's probably the best part of SA IMO, so no-one should leave due to the occasional Bad Post (and I say this as a long-time Bad Poster).

Yeah!

Out of curiosity, is there another team you're trying to get them to be fans of instead or no?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Met Marlins Man today wearing his Marlins Man custom jersey.

He should post here imo

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Sab0921 posted:

He should post here imo
Look, we put up with a lot of trolling and hot takes here, but there's a limit.

Unconscionable.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sab0921 posted:

He should post here imo
Agreed

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Unless you think they were going to move Ty off starting 1B or that they could have beat the Padres for Boegarts I don't think this is really true.

The Nimmo deal looks bad but maybe they could have been in on that? Not signing Quintana for around what the Mets did is a much bigger deal IMO.

Meant more middle infield, though not replacing even Theoretically Healthy Mitch Haniger also bad.

Sports are serious bidness :colbert:

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Its Rinaldo posted:

Meant more middle infield, though not replacing even Theoretically Healthy Mitch Haniger also bad.

Sports are serious bidness :colbert:

Hernandez has been a better bat than Haniger since 2018 and 2018 Mitch Haniger doesn't exist. He's the replacement.

Wong/Moore is a pretty big upgrade over Frazier, if the platoon works out. If it doesn't Wong all on his own is probably still an upgrade, but not a big one.

They still need a LFer or two to provide cover for Kelenic making GBS threads his pants and they really should find another starter to displace Marco but adding Wong/Hernandez and moving on from Winker/Haniger/Frazier is a pretty big positive move.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Hernandez is Winker's replacement, not Mitch. Kelenic is Mittens replacement. And while Wong is a improvement over Frazier, it's getting a Toyota Camery when you can afford a Lexus. When you become a Good Team, improvements to your team cost more and if you have an opportunity to upgrade significantly at a position without having to displace a current contracted player you can't cheap out on it. They already spent a lot from their farm to upgrade pitching, and they don't have any significant minor leaguers ready to graduate now that Julio is up and Kelenic's star has dimmed. Spending on free agency was the best way to upgrade offense and it's been a wet fart.

They're gonna bargain bin gamble on Benintendi or Conforto and hope the giant red flags they have aren't serious

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 10, 2022

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Its Rinaldo posted:

Hernandez is Winker's replacement, not Mitch. Kelenic is Mittens replacement. And while Wong is a improvement over Frazier, it's getting a Toyota Camery when you can afford a Lexus. When you become a Good Team, improvements to your team cost more and if you have an opportunity to upgrade significantly at a position without having to displace a current contracted player you can't cheap out on it. They already spent a lot from their farm to upgrade pitching, and they don't have any significant minor leaguers ready to graduate now that Julio is up and Kelenic's star has dimmed. Spending on free agency was the best way to upgrade offense and it's been a wet fart.

I disagree on a lot of this tbh.

Winker's replacement is Kelenic, if you go by where they play. Winker wouldn't be in the field this year if he was on the team though so the real Winker replacement is whoever your DH is, and that's going to be the rotating cast of Geno/Julio/Teo/Ty/etc.

Losing Mitch is a positive even if you don't sign anyone because now the team can't back itself into a corner waiting on healthy Hangier to come riding in and save everyone. Hernandez is meaningfully better, and is probably a slightly better fielder now too.

If they sign like, Wil Myers and grab AJ Pollack and get Marco out of the rotation then the team is a significantly better spot heading into 2023 than they were at the end of 2022. Probably in the 95-96 win talent range and within a good shot of the division.

The 2022 Mariners were a 106 OPS+ team and the Astros were a 111. They replaced 2.5 months of Mitch and 3.5 months of ??? with Teoscar Hernandez and they replaced Adam Frazier with the Wong/Moore platoon. Both of those represent big positive moves over a full season.

Penisaurus Sex fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 10, 2022

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Blue Jays signed Kevin Kiermaier but I haven't seen any terms released

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

probably cheaper than the other all-glove no-bat outfielder who was just signed

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

When you can trade your silver slugger and replace him with no bat all glove outifelder coming off of hip surgery, you gotta do it

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/SFGate/status/1601339922467942400

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

FlamingLiberal posted:

This is much more exciting if he's a Bradley Zimmer replacement.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

This and the whole ball construction saga really needs to pick up some steam.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

bawfuls posted:

This and the whole ball construction saga really needs to pick up some steam.

I am extremely here for the yankees even more massively overpaying judge when MLB was juicing yankees baseballs specifically to inflate his stats, getting busted for it, then crashing them down to normal.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I always expected Kevin Kiermaier to be a little lean given his lack of in game power.
Then I saw him in AAA at a rehab game and that dude looked like a beast next to the prospects and the AAAA players on the roster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The problem is they dropped that story in the middle of winter meetings right before all the air got sucked out of the room by Arson Judge. Not even the real trade, a fake one