Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Just started both Vampire Survivors and Star Wars: Fallen Order cause I just set up my X-Box Series S and they're on Gamepass.

Vampire Survivors
I know that speed is an upgrade I can both buy, and potentially have offered as one of the level up choices. But JEEZ, the starting speed is still so slow. I wasted the first...IDK, 600/700 gold on the first two speed upgrades because it was just infuriating.

Also, not getting garlic as one of the early level up options sucks...it's the best early upgrade cause then you can just waltz (SLOWLY, apparently) into all the bats.

Fallen Order
The combat is...not great. I don't like having to double-tap for a dodge, cause apparently I keep getting the timing wrong and don't dodge. And the wildlife is , 90% of the time, far worse to fight than the Empire, with one exception below:

There's one part it took me a while to get there where there's like half a dozen scout troopers in an area I jump down into, then up on a ridge is a regulat Stormtrooper with a blaster I can deflect, but then also a rocket trooper that I can do gently caress-all against. I could never dodge the explosion, it was always big enough that I was caught in the area. So even when I finally got passed him, it was only because I blitzed towards him, ignoring the scout troopers, still took a blast to the face, and used a stim and took care of him and the reg. stormtrooper next to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

You can grab the Rockets and toss them at troopers with one of your powers. Push, I think?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

There must've been someone on the team obsessed with the big dumb animal fights in Fallen Order because I cannot fathom that those reached playtesting without someone in power saying "Wait, these were a bad idea."

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Crowetron posted:

There must've been someone on the team obsessed with the big dumb animal fights in Fallen Order because I cannot fathom that those reached playtesting without someone in power saying "Wait, these were a bad idea."

Yeah, I have to wonder about that. And there are more in the sequel!

It always feels weird on two levels. The game just plays better to me when I'm fighting any manner of humanoid trooper/sith/robut, and having a goodguy jedi murdering his way through hordes of local fauna just never feels quite right, even if they are attacking first.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Philippe posted:

Elden Ring: gently caress the Fringefolk's Hero Cave. So much.

I'm sure there's candy behind all this bullshit but COME ON. The Executioner's Chariot, poison, little bleed-happy stone guys, AND fire? Say it ain't so.

putting that right outside the tutorial zone and giving a key to unlock it as one of the starting gift options is an insanely funny dick move on fromsoft's part

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

kazil posted:

you are definitely in for a treat if you ever go back!

you can also kill the chariot, but it's extremely convoluted

If you kill it, it stays dead though so you only have to do it once

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

putting that right outside the tutorial zone and giving a key to unlock it as one of the starting gift options is an insanely funny dick move on fromsoft's part

I know.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
All of the Kingdom Hearts games are on PS+ so I figured I'd go through all of the ones that I haven't played (so like everything after 2). Birth By Sleep is largely an enjoyable experience, but some of the difficulty spikes on the later bosses are incredibly jarring. I don't find it to be a very fun kind of difficulty either, since the game is by no means as tightly controlling or tightly designed as something like a Devil May Cry, and what actions might lead to nearly instant death and what doesn't is really hard to determine. Staggering enemies, specifically bosses, also seems somewhat arbitrary and sometimes they seem to break out of their stagger early and there's no real way to react to it, at least as far as I can tell.

For instance if you time your powerful cinematic finishing move at the wrong time, there's a decent chance that you won't stagger the boss at all and they'll be mid way through their extremely damaging 10-hit combo, so once your invincibility during your attack wears off you just wind up eating poo poo.

Some of the bosses feel like they're just a bit overtuned. It's odd because KH2 by comparison feels way tighter overall and only really the super bosses in that game really have the sort of difficulty that this game throws into the main plot, albeit to a greater extent.

Also the camera doesn't always seem to be very helpful, I've had a few situations where I get knocked into a corner and can't really see what's happening for a few unpleasant seconds. It's especially weird since I don't remember that ever happening in KH2.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

dracula vladdy AF posted:

All of the Kingdom Hearts games are on PS+ so I figured I'd go through all of the ones that I haven't played (so like everything after 2). Birth By Sleep is largely an enjoyable experience, but some of the difficulty spikes on the later bosses are incredibly jarring. I don't find it to be a very fun kind of difficulty either, since the game is by no means as tightly controlling or tightly designed as something like a Devil May Cry, and what actions might lead to nearly instant death and what doesn't is really hard to determine. Staggering enemies, specifically bosses, also seems somewhat arbitrary and sometimes they seem to break out of their stagger early and there's no real way to react to it, at least as far as I can tell.

For instance if you time your powerful cinematic finishing move at the wrong time, there's a decent chance that you won't stagger the boss at all and they'll be mid way through their extremely damaging 10-hit combo, so once your invincibility during your attack wears off you just wind up eating poo poo.

Some of the bosses feel like they're just a bit overtuned. It's odd because KH2 by comparison feels way tighter overall and only really the super bosses in that game really have the sort of difficulty that this game throws into the main plot, albeit to a greater extent.

Also the camera doesn't always seem to be very helpful, I've had a few situations where I get knocked into a corner and can't really see what's happening for a few unpleasant seconds. It's especially weird since I don't remember that ever happening in KH2.

KH2 and BBS were made by different teams, tbh I think it took until a year after KH3 when they introduced the free patch to Sora’s combat feel that coincided with the DLC for the latter team to fully find their footing. But yeah, the pro strat for most bosses is to just spam the [element] surge moves because they do good damage, come out quickly and have I-frames, because a lot of your super cool unique moves don’t have those so you just kinda eat poo poo:. It’s solid as a beat-‘em up on its own terms once you look up a guide for Second Chance/Once More but yeah, coming off of Kingdom Hearts 2: Director’s Cut it’s gonna be disappointing if you wanted more of that.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Any time a game has drive-by-mouse ground vehicles that cannot be turned off, it is a mistake. Sometimes I want to look around and not have my vehicle drive or orient in that direction, ok? This is especially weird in a game where most vehicles have free look by default, but then you're in a tank and suddenly it's drive-by-mouse. Isn't a freely rotating turret one of the reasons why tanks are frikkin tanks?

The new Saints Row does this, and even though it has many faults, this is definitely its worst fault, or at least in the top 70.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Caufman posted:

Any time a game has drive-by-mouse ground vehicles that cannot be turned off, it is a mistake. Sometimes I want to look around and not have my vehicle drive or orient in that direction, ok? This is especially weird in a game where most vehicles have free look by default, but then you're in a tank and suddenly it's drive-by-mouse. Isn't a freely rotating turret one of the reasons why tanks are frikkin tanks?

The new Saints Row does this, and even though it has many faults, this is definitely its worst fault, or at least in the top 70.

Borderlands 3 did this too, and thank gently caress the quick travel system got way more lenient as otherwise I would not have finished it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
A video about Kevin Conroy finally reminded me that I never played Arkham Knight, so I picked that up.

Oof, they were really really proud of the Batmobile, huh? It's everywhere. It's two fifths of the entire upgrade tree, and I think even more of the actual gameplay. And it's not even good, it's annoying as hell to control the thing and doesn't really add anything to stuff the Arkham games are actually good at.

Granted, I'm not sure they could've nailed it, I genuinely don't think extensive Batmobile content fits into the Batman persona and style they crafted (and I'm starting to wonder if the Batmobile's ever provided more than a functional purpose for the character), but that doesn't really help.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You have to admit, they put the Batmobile front and center of the marketing as a selling point, and they actually delivered on the promise that the Batmobile would feature heavily and didn't frontload its segments in the game or mislead you in any way, except insofar as it would be fun.

Didn't much mind it personally but it is entirely surplus to requirements and its boss fight is the absolute worst bit in the game.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cleretic posted:

A video about Kevin Conroy finally reminded me that I never played Arkham Knight, so I picked that up.

Oof, they were really really proud of the Batmobile, huh? It's everywhere. It's two fifths of the entire upgrade tree, and I think even more of the actual gameplay. And it's not even good, it's annoying as hell to control the thing and doesn't really add anything to stuff the Arkham games are actually good at.

Granted, I'm not sure they could've nailed it, I genuinely don't think extensive Batmobile content fits into the Batman persona and style they crafted (and I'm starting to wonder if the Batmobile's ever provided more than a functional purpose for the character), but that doesn't really help.

Pro tip, go back to the main menu and into the options where you can change the Batmobile controls from having to hold a button for tank mode to it being a toggle.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I know I'm very much in the minority here, but I really liked the Batmobile

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Arkham games have a graceful, flowing combat system and then the Batmobile stuff is stop-start sidestepping poo poo where you have gently caress-all variety in terms of weapons and enemies.

muscles like this! posted:

Pro tip, go back to the main menu and into the options where you can change the Batmobile controls from having to hold a button for tank mode to it being a toggle.

Also a lot of the races are easier in first person for some reason.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
they definitely had tooo much Batmobile.

Also I find it extremely funny that the Riddler went all in with the racing instead of using some z-lister crimeman that I assume exists whose gimmick is cars and racing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
They called up the VO for The Racist but perhaps he was busy

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
This is my review for High On Life, it's on GamePass at the moment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw35AcTWJiA
This is nearly EVERY time there's dialogue, or post combat, or when you're walking about, or when it feels like it.
But it's in silly Roiland voices.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Come on man, there are better versions of the same clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erO0UCQ7nfg

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Caufman posted:

The first time I played halo I couldn't figure it out because look steer is so bad

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Opopanax posted:

You can grab the Rockets and toss them at troopers with one of your powers. Push, I think?

I don't have that power yet, all I have is "slow."

Should I have gone to the other planet (Dathomir? I think it was?) first before...uhh...Zeffo Homeworld, or whatever it's called?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Come on man, there are better versions of the same clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erO0UCQ7nfg

That version has a set-up for the joke there instead of just immediately launching into the rambling 10+ seconds of talking the NPCs have. Now every now and again these talks might make a reference to a MEME or a PRODUCT but most of the time you use, most of the time they'll just say a silly sounding word instead and that's meant to be the funny joke. O-o...or to drag it out they'll have them s-stammer or fumble their words so it takes even longer, you see? And if you try walking off to something else they'll stop talking and call you rude.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Stop letting Roiland near microphones so he can commit Voice Crimes please.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

Should I have gone to the other planet (Dathomir? I think it was?) first before...uhh...Zeffo Homeworld, or whatever it's called?

Nah, Dathomir is meant for later in the game, it has higher level enemies and you hit a roadblock pretty early on that blocks you until later in the story. You can get an upgrade early by going there, but not push.

Rocket guys are bastards before you get push, but I think you get it pretty soon after you start encountering them.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
cross posting this because it beloings in this thread more probably

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the one thing that holds ff9 back is that the minigames kind of suck. i dont know a single person who thinks tetra master compares to triple triad, and the chocograph theme is seared into my brain

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Going on a map-wide scavenger hunt is (mostly, there is that one mission for a mobility upgrade that sucks) pretty great and one of my all-time favorite JRPG sidequests.

Tetra Master on the other hand…holy poo poo what a bad minigame. For those unfamiliar, it’s a card game where you place cards on a board, and each card is generated with its own set of arrows that determine what you can “attack”. If a card doesn’t have arrows in X direction, it’s automatically turned into the attacker’s card, and if it does the cards duel based on their stats, and the losing card gets converted along with whatever it was pointing at.

The infamous bit though…the fights are a dice roll, with bigger numbers increasing the chance of winning. You can have a Bahamut card with like 99 attack that targets the enemy card’s worse defense stat and still lose to a 0 defense goblin because the RNG just went against you. It’s not like Triple Triad where being good at it breaks the game, but it still kinda drags the game down because it treats rare cards for the bad minigame like a legit reward, so sometimes when you’re expecting Super Rare Armament you just get cards.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Also you start with a bad deck and when you lose you lose a card, which can lock you out of playing more.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

*Words about a bad minigame*

It's even dumber/more convoluted than that. Cards have a Power and 2 different defense stats, and an attack "type". I'll just post the relevant bit from the Fandom wiki:

Someone thought this was a good idea posted:

The second value on the card is the battle class stat. This value is not based on the hexadecimal scale above, but instead is one of four classes. This stat is represented by the letters P, M, X, and A.

P is a Physical battle class
M is a Magical battle class
X is a Flexible battle class
A is an Assault battle class
The card's battle class determines how the values are assessed in card battles.

These all affect which stat the attacking card attacks. P will attack the Physical Defense stat, while M will attack the Magical Defense stat. The other two have more obscure effects as they are rarer. X will attack the lowest of the two defenses and A will attack the lowest value on the card.

So, not only do you now have to worry about hidden HP values, but you also have multiple HP values per card, and there are cards that just give 0 fucks about what the values actually are, because they'll just punch the lowest number anyways.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'm not playing high on life but from what I've seen of people playing it, it bugged me the face on the gun doesn't animate when you fire. You'd think that would be a great opportunity for them to give it a sort of grimacing squeezing face like it's pooping out the bullets or something, but it just maintains its neutral expression. It wouldn't even need to be a joke, just, if the gun is alive doesn't it "feel" the bullets being fired?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Metal gear 5 on switch when

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

DrBouvenstein posted:

You've got a bit of choice but Bogano -> Zeffo --> Bogano is the "canonical" order. Bogano -> Dathmoir first is good for a replay but it isn't what I'd recommend for a first playthrough.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

2house2fly posted:

I'm not playing high on life but from what I've seen of people playing it, it bugged me the face on the gun doesn't animate when you fire. You'd think that would be a great opportunity for them to give it a sort of grimacing squeezing face like it's pooping out the bullets or something, but it just maintains its neutral expression. It wouldn't even need to be a joke, just, if the gun is alive doesn't it "feel" the bullets being fired?

Because that woule mean if it's saying something offbeat and hilarious you could interrupt it by shooting.

The funny talking morty of rick and morty gun must be free to quip and comment.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Randalor posted:

It's even dumber/more convoluted than that. Cards have a Power and 2 different defense stats, and an attack "type". I'll just post the relevant bit from the Fandom wiki:

So, not only do you now have to worry about hidden HP values, but you also have multiple HP values per card, and there are cards that just give 0 fucks about what the values actually are, because they'll just punch the lowest number anyways.

Also, the game cannot handle compeleting the card collection. if you get enough cards, it literally breaks the menu or something like that.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

kazil posted:

Same, I didn’t like it much my first time through the game, but I spent a ton of time doing racing challenges and after that I really appreciate it.

If they had two previous games to build up to how it handled in Knight I think it would have been more well received tbh

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Dewgy posted:

Same, I didn’t like it much my first time through the game, but I spent a ton of time doing racing challenges and after that I really appreciate it.

If they had two previous games to build up to how it handled in Knight I think it would have been more well received tbh

The actual driving is probably the best part of it, so it's not surprising that that works. I vaguely remember hearing that the developers of an actual racing game helped with it, which I'd buy.

The problem is it's not just driving, it's also got a million other things that just don't work for the game. And yeah, it also consumed the Riddler for no good reason; there's not a driving-focused villain to hand it off to, so there's no obvious right answer, but the Riddler was definitely the wrong one, he's just completely wasted there.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 23:20 on Dec 14, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Cleretic posted:

The actual driving is probably the best part of it, so it's not surprising that that works. I vaguely remember hearing that the developers of an actual racing game helped with it, which I'd buy.

The problem is it's not just driving, it's also got a million other things that just don't work for the game. And yeah, it also consumed the Riddler for no good reason; there's not a driving-focused villain to hand it off to, so there's no obvious right answer, but the Riddler was definitely the wrong one, he's just completely wasted there.

https://batman.fandom.com/wiki/Gearhead

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've said it before, but I think the batmobile stuff would work out well in a game centered around it. It feels like it's always just interrupting me having fun as Batman when the game forces me into doing car stuff, and Gotham is just so full of narrow windy roads that I would never drive anywhere of my own volition when I can grapplehook and glide anywhere faster. Make a game centered around vehicle combat and racing, and tune the map to work better for driving, I think I'd be 100% on board.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
The mini game where you need to disarm a mine and defend against waves of drones was super awesome in Arkham Knight.

Any other use of the Batmobile was pretty weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

kazil posted:

SAme, and it was the natural progression for the series but even I have to admit there was too much of it. I enjoyed getting better at driving and using it and how they added in some puzzles for it but, if I remember right, after a certain point, feeling like it was enough already. And those Riddler races kinda sucked. Maybe two or five would have been OK but they just overdid the thing entirely.