Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Ive been reading Forge of Mars and finished up the second book. Cool series, feels like it was trying something different from the usual 40k narrative. Neat to see stuff from the mechanicus that has a bit of a different perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

boredsatellite posted:

Depends. A black dude i knew in college was like "Dude Salamanders are just like me but red eyes and buffer. Thats rad"

Also handwaved away the weirder part having everyone becoming black when implanted the gene seed.

I mean it’s also that they are like literal void of space black and also the nicest legion outside the smurfs. They would probably get way way more poo poo if they were say, the flesh tearers. Salamanders rule.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
One nice thing is that the Melanochrome that's "broken" in the Salamanders also makes every skin shade canon and totally acceptable. Take that warhammer chuds.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Forge of Mars also reminds me though that for as interesting as the eldar are theres pretty few good books starring them and thats a shame.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I have no idea what the numbers actually are but I imagine something like 9/10ths of all BL books are about one branch of humanity or another.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

orphean posted:

One nice thing is that the Melanochrome that's "broken" in the Salamanders also makes every skin shade canon and totally acceptable. Take that warhammer chuds.

Is it the raven guard that’s the opposite and all pale like a wasp in spring?

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

0konner posted:

Can hire black actors and put them in make up and it wouldn’t be blackface.

that is still blackface or at least was when vaudeville was a thing

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Maybe if there's enough layers of racism it'll have an integer overflow and become the least racist possible

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I mean it’s also that they are like literal void of space black and also the nicest legion outside the smurfs. They would probably get way way more poo poo if they were say, the flesh tearers. Salamanders rule.
They're significantly nicer than the smurfs even.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

They're significantly nicer than the smurfs even.

true.

also i loving hate the flesh tearers. they are just stupidly edgy and annoying.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

true.

Also make lousy tanners

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Is it the raven guard that’s the opposite and all pale like a wasp in spring?

Yeah and the Night Lords are even paler, like corpse white with freaky all-black eyes. They rule.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

true.

Its wild how many Flesh Tearers stories there are given how rote they are.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I just want 40k White Scar books

They became my favorite legion due to the Heresy books and there is a dire lack of material of them

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

boredsatellite posted:

I just want 40k White Scar books

They became my favorite legion due to the Heresy books and there is a dire lack of material of them

I really like the last hunt, which coincidentally also has the eldar in it.

Also one of my favorite bits of warp wierdness in it.

End Spoilers: A limited form of time travel is possible, but by doing it you split yourself into the past version of you who lives on unaware of you you having modified the events of the timeline, and the current version who is now stuck outside of time in the webway and unable to return. The versions of the white scar characters that are stuck like this decide to go ride forever in search of the khan.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 19, 2022

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I think that BL should go full woke and get whomever is the best Black author out there to do the Salamanders and the same again for the White Scars.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Please, I would like to erase the existence of the Salamanders Omnibus that I own with something better

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Shirkelton posted:

Its wild how many Flesh Tearers stories there are given how rote they are.

yeah its always the same poo poo. like at least the blood angels proper have the "they want to be the salamanders and try but they are genetic fucks who go kill crazy from warp ptsd and vampire poo poo" the flesh teares are just "rawr we kill randos and get mad and we will butcher tons of innocents and feel bad"

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

notaspy posted:

I think that BL should go full woke and get whomever is the best Black author out there to do the Salamanders and the same again for the White Scars.

Coulson Whitehead turning out to be a 40k fan and signing on to do the Salamanders would be a wild ride.

e: NK Jemesin with Femaris Salamanders would also loving rule.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Idris Elba as a Salamander, on a buddy cop adventure with everyone's favorite rear end in a top hat Custodian, Maldovar Colquan, played by Cavill. Jim Carey has a little bit of screen time as Trazyn.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

habeasdorkus posted:

e: NK Jemesin with Femaris Salamanders would also loving rule.

This is a hilarious book to imagine, you know you’d end up with Fem-Vulkan and Emps having a three way with Slaanesh.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Jemesin, whose work I have heard described as "artisanal generational trauma", would be a perfect fit.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah its always the same poo poo. like at least the blood angels proper have the "they want to be the salamanders and try but they are genetic fucks who go kill crazy from warp ptsd and vampire poo poo" the flesh teares are just "rawr we kill randos and get mad and we will butcher tons of innocents and feel bad"

I think Haley did a decent job in the Devastation of Baal making them more than just "rawr Kill". Mostly by having another chapter who was even worse in the "RAWR KILL!" crazy for them to bounce off of.

Finished Lords of Silence. I liked it even if I started to forget who was who among the secondary characters. I have physical books in the form of Mark of Faith and the Ahriman Omnibus to go through next (Only the last book from Ahriman though, finished the other two)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Calax posted:

I think Haley did a decent job in the Devastation of Baal making them more than just "rawr Kill". Mostly by having another chapter who was even worse in the "RAWR KILL!" crazy for them to bounce off of.

Finished Lords of Silence. I liked it even if I started to forget who was who among the secondary characters. I have physical books in the form of Mark of Faith and the Ahriman Omnibus to go through next (Only the last book from Ahriman though, finished the other two)

yeah, lords of silence is fun. i like when books explore the personality changes and other poo poo that chaos causes, but also i like how it kinda pulled the stick out of the death guards asses. so they mostly are pretty chill and kinda almost taoist in a way.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, lords of silence is fun. i like when books explore the personality changes and other poo poo that chaos causes, but also i like how it kinda pulled the stick out of the death guards asses. so they mostly are pretty chill and kinda almost taoist in a way.

It came up earlier in the thread, but I always wonder why anyone would look at the 4 chaos packages and say "ooh, boils and sores please! That sounds aces!"

Lords of Silence really got across the attraction of Nurgle and how it's actually the most benevolent of the big four

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I think for the average imperium citizen Nurgle is less 'I want the cool diseases' and more make a pact/offer worship so you're spared when the turbo Black Death is killing everyone in massively unpleasent ways.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Deptfordx posted:

I think for the average imperium citizen Nurgle is less 'I want the cool diseases' and more make a pact/offer worship so you're spared when the turbo Black Death is killing everyone in massively unpleasent ways.

True, it definitely came across that way in the HH. Self quote below from earlier in the thread

Dog_Meat posted:

Yeah, once you get past the revulsion of being a mess of rot and mould Nurgle is the one god who's gifts actually consistently benefit his followers. No pain, no weariness, no stressing about duty, no daily concerns... just a gradual slide into the chill of accepting the inevitable and knowing that nothing can touch you anymore. Death Guard were perfect for it because they didn't care about glory, shiny armour and banners. They can finally accept their place as the unglamorous slogger they were literally bred to be.

True, it's a disgusting path and less enticing than the glory of war, promise of power or lure of sensation - but you know what you're getting. It shows how good that book is that you actually "get" why anyone would choose Nurgle.

'cus when your pretty flesh wastes away, your little pile of skulls rots to dust and all your books of knowledge are eaten by worms Nurgle will still be here as strong as ever :)

And they get cats. Disgusting, pestilent, pulsating cats, but... THEY GET CATS

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Sharkopath posted:

I'd be really surprised if they ever put in the Salamanders as currently exists in lore, in live action, because it is just blackface full stop.

I thought (at least based on the last art I remember when I still played 40K) they had retconned it so “black” wasn’t “person of African descent” color but literally “looks like they were burned to charcoal” skin. Kinda more fitting for guys named Salamanders to look like lava rocks with red eyes, and it worked a little better to deal with the racism issue by having a skin color not really existent in real life.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Ehhhhhh. isn't skintone too dark for real-life a literal description of Blackface. In fact wasn't charcoal commonly used as makeup for doing that.

That doesn't really seem much of an improvement.

Combining with the demonic red eyes doesn't help the look either.

Let's face it, if they were starting 40k today, the Salamanders would be completely different. No way in hell they'd go with the current look.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 20, 2022

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

If we were being completely accurate to lore then all space marines would instantaneously darken when walking into the sun with varying shades all the way to midnight black. They all have the special thing in their skin like hyper melanin to protect from radiation.

Doesn’t the Calth books in the Horus Heresy talk about how all the marines on calth were extremely dark skinned from the moment the sun went crazy?

The skin colour of the salamanders is the least important thing about the salamanders

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

It's in the lore but most authors ignore/forget about it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Deptfordx posted:

Nurgle is the most extortionate when it comes to recruiting, but definitely the best one to actually serve.

The climax of Lords of Silence is among my favorite of any book, it makes you feel as much of a "Hell yeah, screw you guys!" as any Space Marine drop pod assault.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

MadDogMike posted:

I thought (at least based on the last art I remember when I still played 40K) they had retconned it so “black” wasn’t “person of African descent” color but literally “looks like they were burned to charcoal” skin. Kinda more fitting for guys named Salamanders to look like lava rocks with red eyes, and it worked a little better to deal with the racism issue by having a skin color not really existent in real life.

Yeah, that's describing blackface pretty much, imagine that in live action. If it was a chapter of people who were just of african descent for cultural and logistical reasons that's less visually arresting, its what the White Scars are. Honestly that's what I'd do anyways probably, if I was in charge, and the fact instead they just keep running with the caucasian guys with coal black skin in official art is kinda funny to me.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 21, 2022

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Dog_Meat posted:

It came up earlier in the thread, but I always wonder why anyone would look at the 4 chaos packages and say "ooh, boils and sores please! That sounds aces!"

Lords of Silence really got across the attraction of Nurgle and how it's actually the most benevolent of the big four

Also, on a personal level, it really got across the idea of a warband instead of the Legions as the organization

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

Yeah, that's describing blackface pretty much, imagine that in live action. If it was a chapter of people who were just of african descent for cultural and logistical regions that's less visually arresting, its what the White Scars are. Honestly that's what I'd do anyways probably, if I was in charge, and the fact instead they just keep running with the caucasian guys with coal black skin in official art is kinda funny to me.

lmao due to the artstyle the black does just look painted on as well

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Sharkopath posted:

I'd be really surprised if they ever put in the Salamanders as currently exists in lore, in live action, because it is just blackface full stop.

0konner posted:

Can hire black actors and put them in make up and it wouldn’t be blackface.

Idris Elba, Ving Rhames, Denzel Washington and Cuba gooding jr. You're set for the main characters of the Salamanders

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Henry Cavill coated with charcoal ash as the Salamander the main cast doesn't like and tell him to gently caress off.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

So this is interesting. On the Warhammer Community site, they referred to Rogal Dorn as "missing" at the end of this article,

https://www.warhammer-community.com...-design-studio/

Speculation:

This raises an extremely interesting possibility for who the King in Yellow is in the Bequin series. It's been assumed it was Valdor, but he wears gold. Dorn wears actual yellow.That's assuming a lot based on a footnote on the Community site, but it does fit. Either way, I want the next book now.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ive seen weird speculation for dorn, lorgar, malcador, some aspect of the malcador, the star child, some aspect of the emperor and the khan

the only real certain statement is that we're gonna get a grael model for a hundred quid and some other models

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

mllaneza posted:

So this is interesting. On the Warhammer Community site, they referred to Rogal Dorn as "missing" at the end of this article,

https://www.warhammer-community.com...-design-studio/

Speculation:

This raises an extremely interesting possibility for who the King in Yellow is in the Bequin series. It's been assumed it was Valdor, but he wears gold. Dorn wears actual yellow.That's assuming a lot based on a footnote on the Community site, but it does fit. Either way, I want the next book now.

I think old (and I mean old) canon is that dorns body was recovered.

New (yet still pretty old) is that they only recovered his hand and never found a body.