Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

I like Mr Negative a lot but I feel he's pretty well balanced because a decent chunk of games have you just noping out because you didn't draw him before t4, or you already had your killer cards like Iron Man in hand. I don't have Magik though which seems like it'd really let him go to work.

The thing is, this game heavily rewards high-roll decks, especially ones that hide their equity until the final flip. It doesn't matter if you retreat from four games due to dead draws so long as you hit the nuts often enough to win snaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Skippy McPants posted:

The thing is, this game heavily rewards high-roll decks, especially ones that hide their equity until the final flip. It doesn't matter if you retreat from four games due to dead draws so long as you hit the nuts often enough to win snaps.

Idk, I just played three Negative games because you inspired me, and was actually lucky enough to draw Negative each time. Two of them I had all my 0 power in opening hand, the Negative cards I drew were alright but didn't let me win, in the fourth one I drew my nuts and on T5 my destroy opponent played Wave, so I could only play one card T6 while they clearly had at least Death and probably She Hulk. I hate this loving game.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I love when they think they've got the match in the bag because they managed to Cosmo before I could feed my Bucky to Deathlok or Carnage.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Tender Bender posted:

I like Mr Negative a lot but I feel he's pretty well balanced because a decent chunk of games have you just noping out because you didn't draw him before t4, or you already had your killer cards like Iron Man in hand. I don't have Magik though which seems like it'd really let him go to work.

I run Negative with Surfer, Sera and Brood. I can often win without getting Negative in hand. Like an earlier poster said you end up winning more cubes in a long run anyway by snapping intelligently. I just got Magick and I’m excited to slot her in.

JackDarko fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 26, 2022

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The biggest problem I'm running into is that around rank 80, the ladder turns into nothing but infinite card backs and perfectly tuned decks. At that point the two or three cards I'm missing weigh me down a lot more. Like not having Rogue to punk Dino or Bast to help bad opening hands suck a lot less.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I feel like Wave would be fixed if the 4 cost mod applied last. Feels like it should, at least to me

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Zodack posted:

I feel like Wave would be fixed if the 4 cost mod applied last. Feels like it should, at least to me

It absolutely should. The way it interacts with Death and She Hulk is broken in a way most ccg's require you to build an entire deck around, instead of just playing a single card. The fact that it also fucks with your opponent's hand is just icing on the cake.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Skippy McPants posted:

The biggest problem I'm running into is that around rank 80, the ladder turns into nothing but infinite card backs and perfectly tuned decks. At that point the two or three cards I'm missing weigh me down a lot more. Like not having Rogue to punk Dino or Bast to help bad opening hands suck a lot less.

I'm finally in the 80s and I'm running into a lot of heralds of Galactus :ohdear:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

It absolutely should. The way it interacts with Death and She Hulk is broken in a way most ccg's require you to build an entire deck around, instead of just playing a single card. The fact that it also fucks with your opponent's hand is just icing on the cake.

After all the issues that mana acceleration caused in Hearthstone, it boggles my mind that this game has the same problem but only worse. Cost manipulation is the cornerstone of almost every good deck. Wave, Negative, Sera, Death, She-Hulk, etc. Patriot feels like the only remotely "honest" deck in the meta. And next season brings another, which I'm sure won't cause any issues.

I guess I shouldn't expect too much since it is a freemium phone game made to hoover up disposable income. It's just kinda funny to see Ben Brode making the same mistakes a decade down the road.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

kaschei posted:

If all your cards are uncommon, 61,000 credits can get you:
61 cards to the rank below infinity: 1220CLs
40 cards to infinity and their splits to uncommon: 1240CLs

So about 2 extra reserves versus the absolutely worst strategy (that isn't leaving cards at common) every 61,000 credits. That might be a whole card, or it might not.

Yes, but the card sustain from doing the Uncommon strategy has me at 101 cards already, and many of them are still un-upgraded because RNGesus gave me one or two pieces of every deck, so it's Weird Garbage Zoo or Faking That I Have The Finisher For The Deck I'm Signalling to get the remainder XP. My powerhouse deck is Iron Man/Spectrum/Onslaught/Ongoing and I just got Scorpion so I'm building a Zoo deck from a few pages back.

Plus I bought the season pass because I was at my parents' for Christmas and my folks have dogs, so when they go to bed at 9 I can't leave the bedroom or it sets the dogs off.

Skippy McPants posted:

It's just kinda funny to see Ben Brode making the same mistakes a decade down the road.

I played Magic for over a decade and you get to the point where you can "feel" a particular designer's presence or absence on a set because they do not learn from their previous mistakes. I heard they made changes so that individuals have less influence, but it's funny seeing a designer's 'pet deck' archetype mysteriously appear in every block they work on.

Less funny when there's only one main guy I suppose.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 26, 2022

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Tom Smykowski posted:

I'm finally in the 80s and I'm running into a lot of heralds of Galactus :ohdear:

I hit this at 74. Been 70-78 for 2 weeks

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, the fact that you can run into infinite players so commonly, I started seeing them in the mid-60s, is an issue. Of course, the one thing they don't emulate that Hearthstone got right is siloing off players at the top of the rankings from the rest. They could really use something similar to the Legend rank.

Edit: I feel like I'm going to spend a lot of time complaining about this game. The base mechanics are a lot of fun, but there are so many rough edges. And that's not even touching on the microtransactions because that's a fight I gave up on eons ago.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
It’s funny that I can win 4 or even 5 of 10 matches with random cards I want to level where I only make sure I have a balanced curve to drop a card every turn while my “tuned” as-close-as-meta decks right now don’t even perform better lol.

A factor is that I can’t build even 10% of the fun top tier Pool 3 decks because I miss over a dozen crucial cards at CL 1440 (the RNG and system here is simply frustrating), so I just ignore the Rank and Cubes and keep on leveling.

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 26, 2022

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i think, given the deck size, the singleton nature, and the extremely short best-of-one rounds, this game probably doesn't match up one-to-one with whether or not types of cards are harmful to the game or not compared to how they were in other games. at the very least, there's a lot of combos that just barely work because you need to draw the cards in the exact right order and early enough to go off + that lack of consistency keeps a lot of the potentially broken things from going off more than once in a blue moon

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
At least Brode did learn that draw + mulligan would be really powerful in this game since it is combo dependent and it is very irritating to see players seemingly have all the tools needed to stall the game until they draw their combo. Doesn’t work here with the hard turn limit thankfully.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

The locations help even the playing field as well, it feels like. There are some locations, particularly those that affect my deck or force me to mulligan, that are direct counters.

I don’t mind losing, especially if I thought I’d win, since I usually learn something from it.

GarudaPrime
May 19, 2006

THE PANTS ARE FANCY!
My biggest leak, is not snapping in the mid game. I just cant do it mentally. I'm fine at retreating and game outcome prediction. I'm at least of average skill when playing the game itself.

I just really hate being the snapper.

I climb with great consistency, but have to play an enormous amount to do so.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

And now I just got a Rogue from the shop. I do not like this system, even though it's favored me. At least in other card games you can spend some money to push through a run of bad luck and unlock the one or two key cards you need to make a deck possible.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Skippy McPants posted:

And now I just got a Rogue from the shop. I do not like this system, even though it's favored me. At least in other card games you can spend some money to push through a run of bad luck and unlock the one or two key cards you need to make a deck possible.

In this one you can spend money to push through the bad luck and unlock cards you don't want, unless you spend a lot of money on the $80 packs and one of the cards you want happens to come up in the collectors token rotation

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

GarudaPrime posted:

My biggest leak, is not snapping in the mid game. I just cant do it mentally. I'm fine at retreating and game outcome prediction. I'm at least of average skill when playing the game itself.

I'm probably not all that good at the core game but this is also my struggle. Same poo poo as poker too. Letting guys hang on too long or making big raises right into getting destroyed.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

GarudaPrime posted:

Do you have a sense of why you can’t snap first? Is it the fear of avoiding being wrong? It sounds like it may be working for you. You could take baby steps and snap turn 5, maybe? The Poker nerds tell me never to snap on 6.

Depending on your deck, it might not be cut or dry if you’re going to win. I snap every time I have Negative on Turn 4, and I’m holding Sera. Exceptions are where my opponent has revealed I’m hosed. Wong with no cosmo, for example.

In the long run, the strategy should net me more cubes than I lose. When you play to win four at a time, losing one or two doesn’t feel like much.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, I wouldn't feel too bad about it. Most players are probably snapping way, waaay more than they should. Here are a couple short videos that translate basic betting concepts to snap,

Poker Concepts in Marvel Snap

(Almost) Never Snap on Turn Six

JackDarko posted:

Depending on your deck, it might not be cut or dry if you’re going to win. I snap every time I have Negative on Turn 4, and I’m holding Sera. Exceptions are where my opponent has revealed I’m hosed. Wong with no cosmo, for example.

One thing I do find funny about this deck is how often people will T6 snap me thinking I'm unsure and hesitating. Like, no motherfucker, I'm doing math. It's hard!

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 12, 2023

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I do know I love it when people play their key cards first and then snap the next turn.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

If you don't snap on turn one you're playing the game wrong (I'll forgive you if you forget). Lol to people who think they are being strategic with their snaps.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

No game, I don't want to spend 6000 credits on the loving Sentry

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
in fact if you could remove The loving Sentry from all future, present, and past marvel properties we'd all be better off

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I haven't kept up with comics in awhile, do they even use him much anymore

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Very specific but odd encounter. If you have a Wolverine that gets destroyed and moves elsewhere, and that turn your opponent plays a Leader, it copies the Wolverine too.

Also my biggest gripe right now; if you play an ongoing one turn, and Mystique the next, but in between reveals Enchantress or Rouge take the ongoing ability away, Mystique should still copy it :colbert:

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
Speaking of odd encounters. I had a kingpin down. Turn 6 I played Aero that pulled over the Colossus and Kingpin did in fact destroy the Colossus.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Opopanax posted:

Also my biggest gripe right now; if you play an ongoing one turn, and Mystique the next, but in between reveals Enchantress or Rouge take the ongoing ability away, Mystique should still copy it :colbert:

The last card you played no longer has an ongoing ability when Mystique triggers. It makes sense.

mirror123
Jan 17, 2006
rice barrel

Joink posted:

Speaking of odd encounters. I had a kingpin down. Turn 6 I played Aero that pulled over the Colossus and Kingpin did in fact destroy the Colossus.

If you have initiative he kills them face down right? At least Fisk towers did when I juggernauted someone there.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Vulpes posted:

The last card you played no longer has an ongoing ability when Mystique triggers. It makes sense.

Yeah, but it did when I played it and that’s what should matter

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Finally grabbed Hela because I've been waiting for goddamn ever. Time to discard some poo poo

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
I mean it depends on priority, which makes sense. The on reveals are just resolving in order

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Still unable to open Collector's Caches or Season caches. My shop has been the same since 12/22. I haven't gotten any daily rewards. All I can do is play matches. I've reinstalled, cleared cache, tried it on Steam. Support is useless. Discord is useless. There's about 15 other people there with the same issue and absolutely zero useful support help. "Link your account and reinstall!" gently caress off, I've done that a dozen times now! No winter rewards really sucks. I get that it's Christmas time but at least pretend to care and say you're looking into it. I better get compensated for this poo poo.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Another weird interaction that makes sense: if you drop a nova on deaths domain, it will blow up, but you have a leader that copies nova on deaths domain, it won’t blow up. Won a game with the +4 this gave me.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
Interesting interaction that just lost me 8 cubes, Wong - Black Panther - Arnim Zola. Even if Zola moves Wong first, the game still fires Zola's effect again, so you end up with two 64 power BPs at each other location (since they double twice again thanks to Wong).

Hard to tell if this is even working as intended given the inconsistencies in some of the mechanics. But it doesn't 'feel' right.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

buffalo all day posted:

Another weird interaction that makes sense: if you drop a nova on deaths domain, it will blow up, but you have a leader that copies nova on deaths domain, it won’t blow up. Won a game with the +4 this gave me.

Yeah that's a quirky one. Basically Leader copies the card but doesn't "play" it, so On Reveal actions still happen but not anything that would be triggered by play

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Vulpes posted:

Hard to tell if this is even working as intended given the inconsistencies in some of the mechanics. But it doesn't 'feel' right.

Yeah, feels like Zola does his check for On Reveal when revealed, sees the ongoing x2, and immediately queues up two. There's no re-check step between each activation

My particular weird one is that a card concealed by invisible woman is not moved by Bifrost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The cards aren't considered played until they flip, which is very important to know if you're using her