Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

it should just let me type!!!!!!

im allowing for the possibility that this is being played on something without a keyboard, larry.

in any case, tromi will now remember the last entered initials. please redownload thank you https://mycophobia.org/tromi.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
:tipshat::worship::shobon:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

I got board games instead of vidya for Christmas, so it's Galaxy Trucker and the Herb Witches expansion for Quacks of Quedlinburg for me

Herb Witches adds more content to Quacks and extends the gameplay without drastically altering it - a solid effort for a first expansion

I only had time to play a quick dummy tutorial run of Galaxy Trucker but it seems fun in a chaotic, "oh god please don't let my poorly-assembled shitbarge of a ship get taken out by a meteor" kind of way. Reminds me of FTL: Faster than Light

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

mycophobia posted:

I'm finally done with my game Tromi.

https://mycophobia.org/tromi.html

Please play it and tell me what kind of scores and grade you can get. Tahnk you

oh hell yeah I'm gonna play this

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Fungah! posted:

i played it and i dont think the gameplay concept was fully developed op, its more style over substance here. only in the final boss does it start to make sense with the concept for sustaining yourself in the air with timed bursts to maintain a combo but that makes doing tricks completely unnecessary outside of initially building meter for that first attack, worst of all all the levels before dont encourage ro provide much of a means for this playstyle until the end anyway. momentum isn't utilised in a way that makes it feel like skateboarding and ramps are more of a nuisance than an opportunity to build score and meter, if there was a more developed trick system and height buildup with the skateboarding aspect emphasized it would give more to do when not hitting the burst button

mycophobia posted:

Ah, thank you for the constructive criticism! I will give it some thought and try to take it into account next time.

Cheers,

lol this website rules so much

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sub-Actuality posted:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Still not done with Ace Attorney Investigations yet but it seems like I’m in an epilogue tying up the loose ends left after catching the person who has been presented as the main villain so hopefully today. Then I’ll try out Cult of the Lamb and see if Second Sight has a control scheme that works on the Steam Deck.

Sub-Actuality posted:

lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

mycophobia posted:

This is really cool, very chill vibe and I love the chunky sound effects, extremely satisfying. I'm not good at tetris and I haven't played nearly enough of it to appreciate the finer points of the mechanics you've built here but this is solid fun anyway, even for somebody who basically has no idea what they're doing. 41,607 is the best score I've been able to get in a few attempts so far. Around the 30,000-point mark it just suddenly turns into disorganized panic for me, but that's a skill issue not a game design issue lol. Awesome work, I'd be interested to see what kinds of scores other imps can get too

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Still not done with Ace Attorney Investigations yet but it seems like I’m in an epilogue tying up the loose ends left after catching the person who has been presented as the main villain so hopefully today. Then I’ll try out Cult of the Lamb and see if Second Sight has a control scheme that works on the Steam Deck.

lol

Oh that's a good idea, let me know how Second Sight runs, it could be a blast on Deck. It's a bit frustrating that playing PS2-era games on it mostly seems to be trial-and-error since theyre the perfect match, but I get that developers/publishers aren't going to bother going back and confirming compatibility for their games from 20 years ago

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

played some tromi, it's good poo poo. Once the background changes once I'm toast, I'm a Tetris noob and can't keep up with that pace at all. Good work Myco. I like the way the lock in feels, it's a pretty short window and I gently caress it up a lot bc I suck at Tetris, but it's just enough time to correct something if you were practiced at it I think.

I'm curious, since you're clearly a Tetris megafan, what inspired you to make your own take on marathon mode. Youve mentioned the Sega arcade rules for the lock-in and simplification of wallkick allowances, but what other design ideas are pulled from other versions of Tetris, what kind of Tetris were you aiming to build here? Its really cool that you did this. Do you think this is the best version of Tetris ever

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
its a culmination of lots and lots of thoughts ive had over the 15-ish years ive been playing TGM. i love the games to death and think theyre the best tetris games ever made but at the high level theres some artificial roadblocks inherent to its level structure and its use of real time as a measure of speed, which leads to strategies like stacking extremely high in low gravity in tgm1 due to a lack of instant drop so youre spending the least time possible dropping pieces, and other things of that nature across the whole series. also the grading systems in 2 and 3 are really convoluted and hidden from the player, and 3 especially is subject to really cheesy strategies once you know how its grading works. my ambition was to make the most natural and gimmick-free marathon mode test of stacking and speed i could, to really assess the core of what defines the best tetris players outside of the superfluous arcadey stuff in the tgm games.

i think the scoring and grading at least are better than anything in a tgm game and more accurately assess a player's ability

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Sub-Actuality posted:

This is really cool, very chill vibe and I love the chunky sound effects, extremely satisfying. I'm not good at tetris and I haven't played nearly enough of it to appreciate the finer points of the mechanics you've built here but this is solid fun anyway, even for somebody who basically has no idea what they're doing. 41,607 is the best score I've been able to get in a few attempts so far. Around the 30,000-point mark it just suddenly turns into disorganized panic for me, but that's a skill issue not a game design issue lol. Awesome work, I'd be interested to see what kinds of scores other imps can get too

In Training posted:

played some tromi, it's good poo poo. Once the background changes once I'm toast, I'm a Tetris noob and can't keep up with that pace at all. Good work Myco. I like the way the lock in feels, it's a pretty short window and I gently caress it up a lot bc I suck at Tetris, but it's just enough time to correct something if you were practiced at it I think.

I'm curious, since you're clearly a Tetris megafan, what inspired you to make your own take on marathon mode. Youve mentioned the Sega arcade rules for the lock-in and simplification of wallkick allowances, but what other design ideas are pulled from other versions of Tetris, what kind of Tetris were you aiming to build here? Its really cool that you did this. Do you think this is the best version of Tetris ever

and thank you for these comments

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

skyward sword starts so loving slow and this is after they cut out some mandatory tutorials.

it looks very nice though, 480p did it no justice.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
is it more important to avoid singles or to clean up holes?

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Caithness posted:

mods...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Caithness posted:

/me reflecting on my tinder activity

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Caithness posted:

lol

----------------

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

In Training posted:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Caithness posted:

In Training posted:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

In Training posted:

----------------

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Caithness posted:

In Training posted:

lol

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

mycophobia posted:

its a culmination of lots and lots of thoughts ive had over the 15-ish years ive been playing TGM. i love the games to death and think theyre the best tetris games ever made but at the high level theres some artificial roadblocks inherent to its level structure and its use of real time as a measure of speed, which leads to strategies like stacking extremely high in low gravity in tgm1 due to a lack of instant drop so youre spending the least time possible dropping pieces, and other things of that nature across the whole series. also the grading systems in 2 and 3 are really convoluted and hidden from the player, and 3 especially is subject to really cheesy strategies once you know how its grading works. my ambition was to make the most natural and gimmick-free marathon mode test of stacking and speed i could, to really assess the core of what defines the best tetris players outside of the superfluous arcadey stuff in the tgm games.

i think the scoring and grading at least are better than anything in a tgm game and more accurately assess a player's ability

That's cool as hell. I'm trash at Tetris but I'll check it out.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Caithness posted:

it depends. flailing and clearing tons of singles to get to one hole is bad, and if youve gone most of the game with a good stacking average then holes wont affect it too much at that point, so go for tetrises there. the idea is not to let holes stick around for too long

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mycophobia posted:

the idea is not to let holes stick around for too long

drat dude you too?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

----------------

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

i tried playing tromi yesterday but realized I'm still too hosed up to play anything and closed it

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

mycophobia posted:

I really like this! Good job OP

It would be nice to have more music that transitions whenever the background does, but that's just me being spoiled by Tetris Effect. Other than that it's a really well-made game and I can't fault it :)

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
there is one more music

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Overwatch until I get pissed and then XBC3. on the final dungeon of Xeno I think.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

Overwatch until I get pissed and then XBC3. on the final dungeon of Xeno I think.

th e music in that dungeon is so fuckin good

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Saving Impo.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fungah! posted:

th e music in that dungeon is so fuckin good

the approach cutscene was badass as well. I'm so pumped for the finale of this game

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
here is a video of one of my highest tromi scores so far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBERTk0mX0M

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Was trying to finish up Megaman Legends 2, but it bugged out and made a boss invincible, so back to Tomenet co-op.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

mycophobia posted:

here is a video of one of my highest tromi scores so far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBERTk0mX0M

jesus christ

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

somewhere around line 30 theres a big boost in falling speed and then i just instantly lose every time lol

----------------

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
you can handle it larry. i believe in you

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
Drained my nuts nonstop to lewd tromi sluts all day. My penis thanks you!

----------------

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Hizke posted:

Drained my nuts nonstop to lewd tromi sluts all day. My penis thanks you!

lmfao. cmon man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

mycophobia posted:

you can handle it larry. i believe in you

ok ive had a few playthroughs now and am starting to get the feel for it, i havent played tetris in ages so i was rusty as at the start. i like this generator way more than 7 bag. it makes you have to think a bit more on the fly for possibilities because, while you dont get droughts you really can still end up screwed waiting for that perfect piece you need, forcing you to leave a few more possibilities open. which is the fun part of nes tetris. i was repeatedly screwed by the actual systems though until i figured them out, ive shifted a piece i thought was locked or wall kicked an I way further than i expected on every run so far lol.

i know the scoring makes way more sense for high level play because it discourages esoteric moves. but for low to mid tier, which i will forever be, i kind of like the modern scoring system more since it rewards cool plays that separate the finer details of players since there is a hard cap on what speeds you can get up to so you can end up squeaking out extra points.

its a nice tetris game though so im going to play more of it, any reason you don't have ghost pieces?