Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Smythe posted:

this is the only settings panel i need:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Smythe posted:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

this is why modern OSes have a search bar in the settings

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Management posted:

this is almost identical to the ios settings app. except the iOS one comes with an ad for Apple Arcade at the top

no it doesn't, what kind of busted rear end phone os are you using?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Midjack posted:

no it doesn't, what kind of busted rear end phone os are you using?

iOS 16.2

welcome to hawaii!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Management posted:

iOS 16.2

welcome to hawaii!

huh. here's mine, also 16.2. i've never seen that apple arcade ad on an ios device before. maybe click it and see if it goes away? there have been some other nags that dismiss after you view them once.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
have you tried simply interacting with the ad?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
let me just pay apple $1200 for the opportunity to receive inducements to pay apple even more money every month

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i have bad news if you're using a smartphone of any manufacture.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I know how to make it go away. my point was that shamefully it has ads in it whereas the Android one does not

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Sagebrush posted:

because the most important app-related settings concern whether they can read all your data and spy on you

these are both related to the look and feel of the human interface

why should it be?

because it's batshit that's why. If I want battery it should logically be near the top with "B" but instead it's most of the way down under the privacy settings (???)

if the sections had headers maybe it would make sense, but the fact they don't tells me that they couldn't think of any because guess what, there's no logical grouping of them so why not just use alphabetical ordering?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The Management posted:

iOS 16.2

welcome to hawaii!

isn’t that their free trial thing for new devices? I had an Apple TV one show up there when I bought a cheap 9th gen iPad a few months back. did you get a new device recently?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I know this is the android thread but please stop trying to solve this problem. let’s just take a moment to appreciate what a tasteless hack tim cook is.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

why is none of it alphabetised???

Sagebrush posted:

why should it be?

who owns google again?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Smythe posted:

why does the automatic updates icon in windows 2000 have the windows xp logo

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

why does the automatic updates icon in windows 2000 have the windows xp logo

that’s the windows update logo and I think win2k got it too at some point since it coexisted with XP for a good long while

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

google is enabling bluetooth on the stadia controller next week :unsmith: i got one free and its not bad even if the sticks have the wrong layout

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I, for one, will miss the constant stream of fail from the stadia division but android fail is certainly capable of picking up the slack.

Just the other day, I had to reboot my pixel 3a twice because it refused to make a notification sound. I checked the sound settings and there's a cryptic notice about android suppressing some sounds but no mechanism to turn that poo poo off.

Well, at least a reboot fixed it.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

This describes the problem to a T:

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/89937951/google-is-muting-sounds-recent-problem?hl=en

I'm gonna switch to iphone at some point so I'm not gonna test this stuff out but it's hilarious that it keeps happening.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I got a warning yesterday saying "because your phone is low on power, alarms and timers may not behave as expected", what the gently caress?

and the reason it was on low power is that something has been draining the battery since a patch *and* the usb c port is hosed somehow so the cable doesn't always engage properly. both of these are OnePlus known issues I think.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
ah yes, timers, a thing that definitely needs a whole lot of power to work. *looks at Casio watch that’s been on the same battery since the 90’s*

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

https://nanoreview.net/en/phone-compare/google-pixel-7-vs-apple-iphone-12

Literally shittier in every way that matters than a 2 year old iphone base model
https://www.xda-developers.com/google-pixel-7-volume-key-mishap/
https://twitter.com/TheWiggles_jpd/status/1601975004975235073
https://twitter.com/Timotato/status/1596746694204731392

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

you are google and there are two wolves inside you. One wants to do cool poo poo the right way, which costs a lot of money, but somehow you get started on expensive promising projects that need to be done to just keep up with the competition.

The other one wants to point at the bottom line at every opportunity and only feels alive when something dies.

How long until they scrap their chatgpt clone?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

just lol at the fact that when Stadia launched, literally everyone knew that google was not going to give it the runway and resources it needed despite all the (now known to be empty) promises

unless you're a strong leader with a clear vision, you're just going to be pulled every which way by market forces, activist investors, and (the worst) financial people

I don't remember who is head of google right now but I would not want to be in his shoes

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
every now and again i look at a thing that uses Material UI and am astonished that some designer actually came up with this and said "yes this looks good. this should be our company's design language from now on"

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Does anyone else use gmail on mobile and have noticed that "top picks" in the promotion tab is always running, despite having turned it off in settings?

The worst thing about it is that it changes the chronological nature of e-mail, so I end up disabling all the smart features in order to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sapozhnik posted:

every now and again i look at a thing that uses Material UI and am astonished that some designer actually came up with this and said "yes this looks good. this should be our company's design language from now on"

as someone that went from design to development, if i had to put a label on it, it has a lot of 'engineers think they're designers' choices

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Agile Vector posted:

'engineers think they're designers' choices

This is the bane of my existence

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there were dozens, maybe even hundreds of designers involved in material but they apparently spent all their time shooting extremely masturbatory videos where they film pieces of paper overlapping in a special studio and forgot to make a decent design system and in the 7 years since forgotten even that layering part

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I'm guessing they saw apple roll out joniOS 7 and had to scramble to get a design system together to prevent everything from looking like apple wants it to

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i hate, hate, hate google's icon set

looking for something specific? good loving luck!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

remember this?

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sagebrush posted:

knowing what software is what is far less important than knowing that you are about to Engage With The Brand

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i'm the vaguely diamond shaped cluster of colored dots. no the other one

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

jfc lol

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
this is somehow worse than the mac os squared circle icons

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

they're so bad

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Sagebrush posted:

I can’t even tell individually what many of these are, much less tell them apart without a close look

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there’s a visual principle I call “fruit salad” to explain to junior designers about overusing color to try to create a system and I’m saving that image for use as a reference of this phenomenon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

qirex posted:

there were dozens, maybe even hundreds of designers involved in material but they apparently spent all their time shooting extremely masturbatory videos where they film pieces of paper overlapping in a special studio and forgot to make a decent design system and in the 7 years since forgotten even that layering part

there's like, 15 seconds in this seven minute video where they're actually talking about concrete aspects of what material design is

(none of those are in the "what is material design" segment)