Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Mustached Demon posted:

Shame they keep three man boothing him and really just limiting him all together. He's got the perfect vibe to counteract the garbage on the field.

I maintain that 3 man booths are terrible like 95% of the time, the only time I think it's ok is the Mets broadcast with Gary Cohen, Ron Darling and Keith Hernandez because they are pretty good about not talking over each other.

Contrasting Deshaies the Cubs also have possibly my least favourite colour guy Rick Sutcliffe, he just never stops talking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Big Mean Jerk posted:

TK’s a good PBP guy, it’s Blum I can’t stand. He’s so loving dumb and every single anecdote of his mediocre career has been told ten times over. Get Julia up in the box and let Blum run around the stands.

I would imagine even if you had a career like Dusty Baker, you'd run out of stories eventually calling 150 games a year.

I have to say it would be weird moving on from TK and Blummer since they've called basically all of the Astros' good run. They're a perfectly average announce team, so replacing them could go either way. I really hope Baggy isn't the answer here. He's fun for a couple games a season because you know he'll say something stupid, but also probably something funny or audaciously outside of announcing orthodoxy. I know Julia is safe because she's still doing work with the Rockets, so I wouldn't mind seeing her get a full-time PBP shot. She seems like she has a lot more to offer than "bubbly sideline reporter who can take a joke." Julia Morales and Jason Castro 2023!

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Popete posted:

I maintain that 3 man booths are terrible like 95% of the time, the only time I think it's ok is the Mets broadcast with Gary Cohen, Ron Darling and Keith Hernandez because they are pretty good about not talking over each other.

Contrasting Deshaies the Cubs also have possibly my least favourite colour guy Rick Sutcliffe, he just never stops talking.

They wanted Chris Meyers on PbP and Sutcliffe as the color guy. It took some angry fan feedback for them to go out and get Boog. They've been trying to push Deshaies out for a couple of years now. Feels like Len Kasper saw where this was going after Marquee became a thing and jumped ship.

The whole network sucks and is filled with chuds or players Tom became friends with when he took over the team.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Kasper ruled and the Rickettses running him off is one of their biggest sins. (Respect for him for trying to get people to buy the cover story that he actually just wanted to do radio real bad, though)

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Niwrad posted:

They wanted Chris Meyers on PbP and Sutcliffe as the color guy. It took some angry fan feedback for them to go out and get Boog. They've been trying to push Deshaies out for a couple of years now. Feels like Len Kasper saw where this was going after Marquee became a thing and jumped ship.

The whole network sucks and is filled with chuds or players Tom became friends with when he took over the team.

They extended DeShaies last year.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Popete posted:

The Twins had some good three man booths this year too. Especially when the two color guys were a hitter and a pitcher.

Morneau and Perkins especially were absolutely delightful. I think if the Twins replaced Bremer with Provus (currently the lead radio guy for the Twins) it would be a perfect booth.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Blind Pineapple posted:

I would imagine even if you had a career like Dusty Baker, you'd run out of stories eventually calling 150 games a year.

I have to say it would be weird moving on from TK and Blummer since they've called basically all of the Astros' good run. They're a perfectly average announce team, so replacing them could go either way. I really hope Baggy isn't the answer here. He's fun for a couple games a season because you know he'll say something stupid, but also probably something funny or audaciously outside of announcing orthodoxy. I know Julia is safe because she's still doing work with the Rockets, so I wouldn't mind seeing her get a full-time PBP shot. She seems like she has a lot more to offer than "bubbly sideline reporter who can take a joke." Julia Morales and Jason Castro 2023!

Julia did PBP for a few games during spring training years back and was pretty solid iirc. My guess is she’d have had a bigger role in the booth by now if not for two things; covid messing with broadcast team travel for two seasons, and her having a kid and subsequently showing up during fewer games.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Larry Anderson is my favorite color guy, listened to a bunch of Phillies playoff games and he owns.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I need a Bill Walton and Rick Sutcliffe booth

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
During the pandemic the Cubs regular tv broadcast duo Boog and Deshaies got held up for Covid testing and Doug Glanville had to last minute fill in doing a solo broadcast. He was mortified and despite doing a fine job he was completely unprepared to do PBP and it resulted in the funniest ~5 minutes of broadcast I've seen before Deshaies and eventually Boog joined the booth.

This is the only clip I can find but the whole time you could just tell he was not ready for this.

https://vimeo.com/597481308

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
the greatest booth ever was glen kuiper and the late ray fosse and as awesome as dallas braden is it just isn't the same now :(

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
I like Francoeur and Moylan. Brian Jordan is not good

I like Tom Glavine's early stints when he'd be silent for 4 innings and then randomly chime in with "good pitch"

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I've decided I'm not going to be mad about the bad Hosmer signing, I can revoke this after watching him roll over his 40th consecutive grounder to the second baseman. Cubs are still refusing to go near the tax this year like cheap small market dipshits.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

IcePhoenix posted:

The Twins had some good three man booths this year too. Especially when the two color guys were a hitter and a pitcher.

Morneau and Perkins especially were absolutely delightful. I think if the Twins replaced Bremer with Provus (currently the lead radio guy for the Twins) it would be a perfect booth.

I would watch every single game.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

They're not exactly a couple big signings away

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
In diverting the Ricketts’ money away from the Cubs lineup and into losing campaigns the GOP has finally earned my gratitude and respect.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

how dare you

Ladies and Gentlemen, we got him

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MLB.com has yet another article about which players will benefit most from banning the shift and the top guy is Corey Seager (shifted on in 93% of PAs) and they estimate that he would've had 20 additional hits over the course of a season, which would've raised his average from .245 to .278. Seems like in even the most extreme case the benefit to pull hitters will be marginal.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

zoux posted:

MLB.com has yet another article about which players will benefit most from banning the shift and the top guy is Corey Seager (shifted on in 93% of PAs) and they estimate that he would've had 20 additional hits over the course of a season, which would've raised his average from .245 to .278. Seems like in even the most extreme case the benefit to pull hitters will be marginal.

How much will banning the shift impact Second Base defense? Will there be a newer need for better range at that position?

I don't disagree with the assessment on the shift being marginal improvement. I wonder what some of the ripple effects of the ruling will have.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Forrest on Fire posted:

How much will banning the shift impact Second Base defense? Will there be a newer need for better range at that position?

I don't disagree with the assessment on the shift being marginal improvement. I wonder what some of the ripple effects of the ruling will have.

Well, it's an all-things-being-equal assessment, some of those extra hits are going to be big time. How many two out rallies got strangled in the crib because one side of the infield was overloaded

https://twitter.com/theathleticmlb/status/1610405749884157959?s=46&t=HoLv5umt7t3pfroTzznExg

I bet it's less years. If he ends up signing anything close to the Astros offer I'm gonna lose it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m so happy the shift is gone . God I hated it

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zoux posted:

I bet it's less years. If he ends up signing anything close to the Astros offer I'm gonna lose it.
it’s just gonna be loaded up with playing time incentives

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I think all strategy should be removed from baseball and it should be all dingers all the time and banning the shift is a good first step (for fan enjoyment)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Disagree with that. Dingers only gets boring

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

maffew buildings posted:

I think all strategy should be removed from baseball and it should be all dingers all the time and banning the shift is a good first step (for fan enjoyment)

Well that's one outcome, but what about the others

bawfuls posted:

it’s just gonna be loaded up with playing time incentives

Yeah apparently that's what Rosenthal said on the podcast itself

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

euphronius posted:

I’m so happy the shift is gone . God I hated it

Joey Gallo dares to dream of big numbers once again

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

maffew buildings posted:

abandon the bunt at your own peril

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Rules which directly dictate and limit specific strategies are dumb and lazy. If you don’t like a strategy for aesthetic reasons then devise more subtle changes to disincentivize it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There are tons of rules that change how a game is played to make it more enjoyable to watch all over sports

This isn’t new

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

Kirios posted:

wtf is a Bligh Madris

He is apparently, per Wikipedia, "the first Palauan to play in the major leagues".

Born in Las Vegas in 96. Bats left, throws right... outfielder / 1B.

Played for the Pirates a bit last season... Rays and Tigers both picked him up and considered him for a few weeks each and then ditched him.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Shinjobi posted:

Joey Gallo dares to dream of big numbers once again

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Forrest on Fire posted:

Better range will probably help but isn't 2B kind of already a weird dumping ground for guys who are too good defensively to play 1B but not good enough for the left side of the IF? I don't think this change leads to much of a developmental shift in the pipeline, if you'll excuse the pun.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bawfuls posted:

Rules which directly dictate and limit specific strategies are dumb and lazy. If you don’t like a strategy for aesthetic reasons then devise more subtle changes to disincentivize it.

I would simply hit it where they ain't

I think we're going to see more outfield shifting with fielders coming in shallow to where they shift middle IFs now. Until they make that illegal.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

maffew buildings posted:

There should be no dingers, fields should be completely enclosed with no foul territory and the league should use a bouncy superball instead of a regular baseball

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

euphronius posted:

There are tons of rules that change how a game is played to make it more enjoyable to watch all over sports

This isn’t new
That's not my point. Rules to influence strategy are fine, even rules meant to achieve aesthetic goals are fine, but they should ideally do so by shaping the incentives within the game to make "ugly" strategy unappealing/ineffective.

A good example would be outlawing double-teams and zone defense in the NBA. These are ham-fisted ways to discourage particular defensive strategies. They were made obsolete by the 3-point line, which created a new incentive to spread the floor and eventually led to those limitations on defensive strategy being lifted.

MLB claims to be outlawing the shift because they want to encourage more balls in play. The shift is a very oblique approach to that goal and it is not obvious this change will even have the intended effect. It certainly isn't going to reverse 50 years worth of increased strikeout rates. They could attack the issue more directly by, for example, shrinking the strike zone vertically (a change that has precedent in MLB). But some old guys don't like looking at the shift so they just banned it instead.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

zoux posted:

I would simply hit it where they ain't

I think we're going to see more outfield shifting with fielders coming in shallow to where they shift middle IFs now. Until they make that illegal.

Its possible but it seems like there's way more risk in an outfield shift than in infield shift. Its like if you hit it against the infield shift you might get double. If you hit it against an OF shift you might get an inside the park home run.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That is not the only reason they are banning the shift

Nba is a bad example as it’s like the number one example of a league changing the rules to make it more fun to watch.

Whatever if you liked the shift I am sorry . You can at least be happy that I will get more utils this summer watching mlb

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I haven’t paid attention to hockey in 20 years but didn’t they eventually ban the neutral zone trap ?

That was horrible

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bringing back what the fans really clamor for: seeing eye groundballs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

euphronius posted:

I haven’t paid attention to hockey in 20 years but didn’t they eventually ban the neutral zone trap ?

That was horrible

No they did not, they removed the two line pass offside. The "trap" is still a huge part of the game, players are just faster and more skilled now. When it was first conceived as a system, the trap was actually about pressure and creating transition offence, its just that most teams had too many lovely players to do the transition part effectively.