Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
beholden't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Laughing Zealot posted:

Wait what is she nominating yet another guy right now?

She wants attention, that's all.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Laughing Zealot posted:

Wait what is she nominating yet another guy right now?

I don't care if there are 5 votes for 5 different candidates, as long as there are 5.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

"We have plans! We have 222 plans!"

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

This is incredible how much longer until we get outright tears on the floor

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

They've already given in on every position except Kevin himself.

Some other KM supporters have mentioned that their support does have an expiration and that they'd look to a compromise candidate if KM keeps losing.

But the probability of success of a compromise candidate is greatly increased by KM actually first stepping aside.

If KM doesnt step aside and if enough of the moderates become incensed at the fact that the Gaetz/Boebert faction doesnt even have the respect for them to try and hide that they're being chaos agents, that could harden some of KM's core support just out of spite and make it more difficult for a compromise candidate to actually win.

The longer this goes on, the more animosity-driven stubbornness we're likely to see, at least until they all reach some exhaustion point and need to go take their meds and have a nap.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 5, 2023

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
though Brecheen flipped to McCarthy for a second, lol

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I wonder if any of the Democrats are playing video games wirelessly with each other

I would be so loving bored

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Santos and MTG chilling together, she's probably explaining that she too meant "Jew-ISH" when talking about the space lasers

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
this live action remake of The Zax is funny as hell, i've got to admit

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
For just $49.99, you too can be nominated for Speaker of the House.

A great gift for dads and grads.

Call now!

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
And it fails. Again.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Aaaaaaaaand there it goes.

Can't wait for Speaker Of The House Vote #10!

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Randalor posted:

"We have plans! We have 88 plans!"

ftfy

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Officially the most ballots since the civil war

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

cr0y posted:

I wonder if any of the Democrats are playing video games wirelessly with each other

Probably, in between just being amused or bored out of their minds. Some are probably discussing plans to get six McCarthy supporters to vote for Jefferies, because what the else gently caress are we gonna talk about while we watch these GOP idiots not govern?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
This should be like paying to name a star. Spend $20 and for a day everyone has to refer to the Speaker by whichever name you choose.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
This game of thrones sequel is getting weird and repetitive. And repetitive.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Everybody in this thread has lost nine fewer Speaker votes than Kevin McCarthy, I'm just sayin'

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Surprised we haven't gone major chaos option and someone nominated Gaetz out of spite.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

The dems should seriously do like a cameo thing where for a thousand bucks donated to charity gets your name announced on the house floor

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Gaetz votes for Hearn. Major blow to Donald Trump.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Youremother posted:

This is incredible how much longer until we get outright tears on the floor

How much longer until we get outright fistfights?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Hypothetically speaking, what kind of power would a minority party Speaker have?

For instance, enough Republicans get so tired of both sides fighting that they start voting “present” and Jeffries becomes Speaker.

nelson fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 5, 2023

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

https://twitter.com/dril/status/15269318182?s=46&t=ZNjNdkhXbE8GYEwLlFnBxQ

nerox
May 20, 2001

nelson posted:

Hypothetically speaking, what kind of power would a minority party Speaker have?

At this point, more than Kevin McCarthy would.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

nelson posted:

Depends. Does the majority party let them pass a vote on something, or not?

The thing is, being speaker is just the threshold. It's "I have enough support to get poo poo done."

Theoretically a plurality can do that if parts of the majority abstain, but why would Gaetz abstain to let Jeffries do things?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Has anyone nominated Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ to the spakership.

I suppose The Metatron would also work

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

how does he do it

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He is our modern cassandra.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Youth Decay posted:

how does he do it

It's simple, really...

https://twitter.com/Ammathor/status/1590223553995366402

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
They're allowed to bring in zip ties and gallows tomorrow yeah?
Vote should be quick and final then.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1611111232651640834

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/TheDailyShow/status/1611104871503040513?s=20&t=YUPrc5ff0iJn2viLBzbNDA

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Sequel to Groundhog Day, where Bill Murray lives the same day over and over until he's elected Speaker of the House

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

BBC posted:

We're midway through the ninth vote for Speaker - almost certain to fail - and many of the lawmakers here look like they've had enough.

I've counted at least five iPads, and three novels in the hands of politicians - tools to help pass the time.

Democrat Larry Nadler appears so engrossed with a large paperback volume he has not bothered to look up through dozens of ballots and and several loud rounds of applause.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Democrats just have to show up and vote the same exact way every time, why would you expect them to be paying close attention.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Have they rushed anyone in thats dying or sick to vote like they did to McCain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

republicans in disarray

cr0y posted:

I would be so loving bored

Hopefully the Dems are paying attention to the humiliation on display and taking the correct lesson from it...

It hasn't exactly been a well-oiled machine on Team Blue, but it's a far cry from the days of the blue dogs and anyone hearing the name of Joe Leiberman.

There was a time a few decades back when the GOP had the entire country convinced that the Republican Party were the adults in the room and it was the Democrats who were in disarray.

For a former segregationist and octogenarian Biden's been surprisingly effective for us as a reprogrammed Terminator.

Jeffries seems to have his people in line as well, which means there's actually a chance he can fill Pelosi's shoes.

The entire country seeing you as weak and ineffectual is not a fun feeling.

Hopefully the Dems remember that.