Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

"Hi daddy! HELLOOOOO!" :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Would be extremely funny if Jeffries wins because Republicans stop showing up

https://twitter.com/kellyfphares/status/1611114873127333889
https://twitter.com/Olivia_Beavers/status/1611114954156904451

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Piell posted:

Would be extremely funny if Jeffries wins because Republicans stop showing up

you'd need to only have 223 votes for 212 to be a majority and i honestly think that if it got down that low enough of the HFC would vote for Mccarthy simply to deny jeffries

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Dril is John Titor.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

I don't see why they need to miss votes for that. There's no rules now so just use the House chambers as a doctor's office / funeral parlor / maternity ward.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

aBagorn posted:

you'd need to only have 223 votes for 212 to be a majority and i honestly think that if it got down that low enough of the HFC would vote for Mccarthy simply to deny jeffries

That seems like really really complicated math for Boebert to figure out

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
1 Republican, Burke I think, has gone home to goto a medical appointment.
McCarthy is -1 for any more votes.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

happyhippy posted:

1 Republican, Burke I think, has gone home to goto a medical appointment.
McCarthy is -1 for any more votes.

Progress!

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Woo-hoo! Jumping right in to round 10!

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
VOTE 10 BEGIN

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Lord Harbor
Apr 17, 2005
Bruce Campbell: You've stolen my heart, but you'll never take my freedom
Nap Ghost

aBagorn posted:

If 212 is the majority, then the Republicans have only 211 or fewer total votes, so it wouldn't matter how any of them voted.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

aBagorn posted:

i honestly think that if it got down that low enough of the HFC would vote for Mccarthy simply to deny jeffries

That was my idea after the first few failed votes. A few moderates should be selected to just vote present and force the HFC into line. Of course with the way Republicans are going they’d get the math and/or communication to members wrong and end up accidentally putting Jeffries into the Speaker chair.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lord Harbor posted:

If 212 is the majority, then the Republicans have only 211 or fewer total votes, so it wouldn't matter how any of them voted.

wouldn't that only last until all the Republicans return?

I can see a Chaos Orb congress happening where control shifts back and forth based on the # of people physically in the chamber at any given point in time.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Honestly, have 100+ votes, gently caress it. The House is going to be useless-to-harmful whenever it does get going, they might as well all torture each other for a while before coming after us.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I want a Chaos Confetti congress where a representative has to be ripped up to shreds for session to begin.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

wouldn't that only last until all the Republicans return?

I can see a Chaos Orb congress happening where control shifts back and forth based on the # of people physically in the chamber at any given point in time.

If Jeffries is elected speaker, couldn't he just make the rule be "2/3 of the house must agree to elect a new speaker" and flip the bird to Republicans for the next two years?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Youremother posted:

I want a Chaos Confetti congress where a representative has to be ripped up to shreds for session to begin.

Congratulations to new Speaker of the House Cheatyface

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Why are they even bothering doing speeches anymore, let's just do it.

Lord Harbor
Apr 17, 2005
Bruce Campbell: You've stolen my heart, but you'll never take my freedom
Nap Ghost

Randalor posted:

If Jeffries is elected speaker, couldn't he just make the rule be "2/3 of the house must agree to elect a new speaker" and flip the bird to Republicans for the next two years?

I think that a majority can change the House rules regardless of anything else? I'm not sure if there's ever been a situation where the rules instituted a requirement that was challenged by more than 50% of representatives but less than the amount required in the rules. I'd imagine it goes to SCOTUS but they also generally don't get involved in this sort of thing.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Enigma89 posted:

Why are they even bothering doing speeches anymore, let's just do it.

they want to hear themselves talk

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'd want to say something just to participate in the historic circus.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/DanRather/status/1610818239264849920?s=20&t=YUPrc5ff0iJn2viLBzbNDA

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
as the saying goes, vote early and often

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Don't get angry, vote!

Kale
May 14, 2010

delfin posted:

It's a little of each, I think.

The Gingrich mantra, the driving force of modern cutthroat Republicanism, is to pick out the fattest target and attack, attack, attack, attack, attack until it falls over, then retarget and repeat. That's what the Grunty Twenty are doing here; they can attempt to gain materially by impeding McCarthy, so they're going to do that until they're losing more than they're gaining. If they feel like they can gain materially by doing the same to Scalise, Scalise won't get through, either.

The Chip Roy types want to break the process. They want to reconfigure things so that it's no longer even _possible_ to do anything productive, and to wedge the Paul Gosars of the world into procedures and necessities to make sure of that. The Gaetz types, on the other hand, want a big-name scalp with which to build their personal brand. "I am a better conservative warrior than anyone else. I led the charge to slay a huge swamp monster."

McCarthy is a potent symbol; he's a prime target because C-list talk radio and such howl about the Uniparty and hardline tactics and how America would be 120% hardcore conservative rule right now if leadership would just follow their batshit orders. It doesn't matter whether what the QAnoners want is even remotely viable; status quo isn't that, so status quo is their enemy, even if they're actually far better off under that.

I just find it funny that he went and kissed the Trump ring and did culture wars for a bit and all that stuff the GOP base loves and its not enough because he was there before Trump and at one point stood side by side with Paul Ryan and John Boehner.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Is it really a good idea for the CFC to split themselves between two candidates at this point

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Representatives! If you're in line, STAY IN LINE!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Representatives in right lane must vote right!

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Is it really a good idea for the CFC to split themselves between two candidates at this point

It doesn't matter.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

The NYTimes live vote-tracker is still on the 9th vote. They can't even keep up with this.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Where'd the little c-span vote count widget go?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
cspan has given up counting

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Who the hell was giving Boebert the business there?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Where the Needle?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
CSPAN is hiding the facts. stop the steal

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Seems like the only salient question at this point is, does the HFC prefer McCarthy or Jefferies?

From Kevin's PoV, forcing that choice has got to be his best chance. I assume the HFC would go with him before any Dem, but that assumption is predicated on them being rational actors, which uhh...

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

https://twitter.com/lruskin/status/1611089001049640960?s=46&t=tssO1AwKr8_ohGkTbkSbD

Compromise candidate beginning to be floated publicly by a completely unsurprising person

https://twitter.com/lruskin/status/1611089001049640960?s=46&t=tssO1AwKr8_ohGkTbkSbDg

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
The HFC must know where some bodies are buried to still be in the party. There's the argument that they give the GOP a majority but... do they? They can't even choose a speaker, how are they going to get anything done? I used to think a republican could step up and get votes from the dems, but at this point I think any repubs who want to get anything done (a minority but they exist) should just make a deal and vote for Jeffries until the HFC is booted.
But people who think that way probably left the republicans 4+ years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

LOL that she thinks there's going to be serious legislating done.

StumblyWumbly posted:

The HFC must know where some bodies are buried to still be in the party. There's the argument that they give the GOP a majority but... do they? They can't even choose a speaker, how are they going to get anything done? I used to think a republican could step up and get votes from the dems, but at this point I think any repubs who want to get anything done (a minority but they exist) should just make a deal and vote for Jeffries until the HFC is booted.
But people who think that way probably left the republicans 4+ years ago.

They're going to vote for all the stupid investigations and whatever dumb poo poo the house tries to pass, they're just flexing right now.