Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Would all the characters still be terrible if they'd had more time....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I straight up deleted Dragon Age 3 off my Steam account. Just awful. Irredeemably awful.

Yes, I did get out of the Hinterlands, only to find more Hinterlands.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
that game got GOTY awards lol. i think it was one of those years that just sucked rear end for major releases

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

reading all of those in the "you have uno" voice

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I can't defend most of Dragon Age 2 but I'll ride or die for Aveline.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Endorph posted:

shut up idiot

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Worst Endorph probe in this thread since the last one.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

that game got GOTY awards lol. i think it was one of those years that just sucked rear end for major releases

everyone wasn't quite as burned out by yearly AC releases yet, so a giant open world trough filled with quest slop still held a certain amount of appeal

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Having played Haven in co-op with a lesbian pairing, I think some of the criticisms of its story from a high concept perspective are a bit overblown.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The core premise of Dragon Age 2 taking place in a single city over a decade is a good one, shame about the actual game.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

WrightOfWay posted:

The core premise of Dragon Age 2 taking place in a single city over a decade is a good one, shame about the actual game.

much like phantasy star 3, it's a concept i'd dearly love to see redone with modern hardware and no insane crunch schedule

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

it was also a bold decision to set every dungeon in the same cave

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

WrightOfWay posted:

I also liked the premise of you starting out as a refugee fleeing from the war and how that would affect the story, but after the tutorial timeskip it turns out that actually you are reclaiming your ancestral home and have recruited the chief of police, the single source of mass media, a foreign prince etc. to your party. It turned into a very different story than implied by the start.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
fortunately we have story of seasons: a wonderful life to fill the gap

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fortunately we have fire emblem genealogy of the holy war to fill the gap

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
So I’m going through Chained Echoes and just beat the first boss

I’m sorry when in the gently caress did Argath from FFT sneak into my party

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Looper posted:

fortunately we have story of seasons: a wonderful life to fill the gap

Get married in a year or perish! Here's a goat, it sucks! All your cattle will die (I think? Maybe misremembering that. Something about cows stopping their milk production some time after giving birth)!

Also learn seed blending or you will die penniless.

Wonderful Life is a weird game.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

also the days last like 5 hours and youll run out of stuff do in about 5 minutes

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Zokari posted:

Worked for Skyrim!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Zokari posted:

Another bold decision was to include options for negotiating people down.

Only to ignore all of those options and have those same people impale themselves on your sword.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

MechaX posted:

So I’m going through Chained Echoes and just beat the first boss

I’m sorry when in the gently caress did Argath from FFT sneak into my party

You wish he was characterized that well.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Zip through the cutscenes, stay for the gameplay. The level of freedom you get in the second act onwards is the tits.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Oxxidation posted:

few people can come up with memorably "whacko yet just this side of plausible" names like yasuhiro nightow

legato bluesummers
leonardo watch
millions knives
nicholas d. wolfwood
stephen a. starphase

Don't forget EDGE MAVRICK.

Vermain posted:

much like phantasy star 3, it's a concept i'd dearly love to see redone with modern hardware and no insane crunch schedule

Romancing SaGa 2's generation mechanic was cooler than anything PS3 did. There's some generational strategy game series as well but extremely tedious, I think it's Agarest?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I heard Agarest Senki was gross, not tedious.

Well, it could be both.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

agarest war is actually pretty short but there's an early game tutorial map where you have to kill a rock and it takes like 20 minutes for some reason

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Agarest is about as 'wasted potential' as you get with a IF label on the box

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

OddObserver posted:

Worked for Skyrim!

Skyrim reuses textures a lot, but the layout for every cave and dungeon is unique. That was one of the selling points when it launched.

DA2 very literally uses the exact same map for nearly every dungeon in the game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ornamented Death posted:

Skyrim reuses textures a lot, but the layout for every cave and dungeon is unique. That was one of the selling points when it launched.

DA2 very literally uses the exact same map for nearly every dungeon in the game.

They are the exact same dungeon layout but some doors are arbitrarily opened or closes so you stumble confused through familiar places.

Its the worst of all worlds.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Chrono Cross is as big and as long as every other PSX rpg, but it feels tiny given that it takes place in an archipelago where every location is in spitting distance with no random encounters between them.

You don't even hop into an airship that lets you fly over your donut-planet.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Agarest is about as 'wasted potential' as you get with a IF label on the box

Ok but what if Agarest except the British publisher gets to decide the boxart:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Didn't know Agarest had the spell Old

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

HGH posted:

Knowing nothing about agarest I always think I'm discovering a really bad GARO game whenever I see this box

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

That frowny boy actually makes me curious about the rest of the box. He just looks so goofy... oh no! it worked!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

HGH posted:

ghostlight are such a poo poo company lmao

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

are they even still around? the last thing i remember them being invovled on was tokyo xanadu.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Endorph posted:

are they even still around? the last thing i remember them being invovled on was tokyo xanadu.

Just as it looked like we were about to be rid of them with the wane of the 3DS, they moved to publishing internationally on Steam.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What are some fun rpgs with fun time management mechanics, like a personas or a three houses or the good ateliers? Turns out, these are my jam

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

rune factory a bit? there's no real time crunch for the most part but since its a farming sim too you have to do things like manage your crops and juggle farming with dungeon crawling.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

What are some fun rpgs with fun time management mechanics, like a personas or a three houses or the good ateliers? Turns out, these are my jam

The only thing popping in mind no one else will recommend is Dragon Star Varnir but its terrible so not that unless you are completely out of other things to play.

If just "time limited decision making gameplay" and some RPG elements is what matters then Citizen Sleeper and Roadwarden are the two best on the market I can think of at the moment.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Ever Oasis for the 3ds. i wish it would get a switch release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Final Fantasy IX Excalibur II runs