Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

Not a lot of motors in that motorized unit

They're only level 1. Motors are unlocked at level 5 once they get the prerequisite class feats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Endman posted:

One of the big issues with the nuclear arsenal of a failed state is that without constant supervision and maintenance, those fuelled up and ready to launch missiles will quickly degrade and start leaking horrible chemical fog all over the place, and may even explode in their tubes. The actual nuclear payload doesn’t even need to go off for these things to be incredibly dangerous.

idk the USAF has been neglecting their nuclear arsenal for years and so far so good

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Morbus posted:

idk the USAF has been neglecting their nuclear arsenal for years and so far so good

If North Dakota gets irradiated, would anyone notice?

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Weka posted:

How much more advanced is a Challenger 2 or Leopard 2 than a T72b?

They are approximately equally advanced after being hit by anti-tank munitions, which is going to happen sooner rather than later in either case.

The number of tanks, having crew available to man them, and the logistics to fuel, arm, maintain, or repair them, all matter a lot more than this tank or that tank.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Morbus posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_Damascus_Titan_missile_explosion

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Morbus posted:

They are approximately equally advanced after being hit by anti-tank munitions, which is going to happen sooner rather than later in either case.

The number of tanks, having crew available to man them, and the logistics to fuel, arm, maintain, or repair them, all matter a lot more than this tank or that tank.

It depends on the anti-tank munition, ATGMs perhaps get a little too overhyped. I would say they are certainly better armored than a T-73B (a T-73B3M is a pretty different tanks btw with reactive armor and new sights to be clear), but probably a even match with a T-90M. I would say a T-73B3M would still be an a moderate disadvantage, but it wouldn't be as much as people would assume.

That said, logistics and maintance is a big issue, and also the size of most NATO MBTs is a serious liability especially if they don't have an advantage in the air or trying to go on the offensive.

The big issue at this point really is if a tank has got thermal sights and modern reacitve armor at this point.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 04:34 on Jan 16, 2023

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ardennes posted:

If North Dakota gets irradiated, would anyone notice?
I could go for another Fallout game right now.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

Right wing zionists love blood and soil nationalists, they have the same ideas about the Volk, and (some) fascists/neonazis tolerate Israel as a place all the Jews can go to and leave the gentiles alone in their own enthnostate. There's also the split antisemites have between judeobolsheviks and zionists, the bad and the good kind of Jews. Zionists love the world being a dangerous place for the diaspora as well.

Also I guess the Jewish Galician identity was the antithesis of Zionism since it was a successful way to have a Jewish “state” within national borders. A reminder that it was much more popular than Zionism before 1918 as well.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Brееgе Timе ZÖZZ🇷🇺 posted:

During the course of yesterday, Ukrainian military enlistment officers were stationed at almost all entrances and exits from Lviv.

Most conscripts are being sent to the 24th, 80th, 103rd and 125th brigades near Artyomovsk and Svatovo.

Judging by the activity, casualties needing urgent replacement, Zelensky is carrying out White House orders.
(from t.me/breege_time_20zz/16180, via tgsa)

Wonder how true this is, did Lviv's turn really come.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Lostconfused posted:

(from t.me/breege_time_20zz/16180, via tgsa)

Wonder how true this is, did Lviv's turn really come.

they're gonna motorush lviv on feb 24

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Something you obviously do when aren’t running out of men

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://en.defence-ua.com/events/wh...atrol-4630.html - shot

quote:

What AWACS See As They Transmit Target Data to the Armed Forces of Ukraine: Unique Video on Board of the E-3 Sentry On Patrol | Defense Express
3–4 minutes

Canadian journalists of the CBC got a truly unique opportunity and got on board one of the AWACS E-3 Sentry planes, which regularly fly near the borders of Ukraine and allow detecting objects at a distance of hundreds of kilometers.

Extremely interesting details were caught on camera, and the AWACS operators and pilots themselves told how they help the Air Force of Ukraine.

The planes themselves take off from Germany and carry out missions for at least 12 hours, approaching the border with Ukraine or Belarus by a few kilometers. In particular, the monitor with the E-3 Sentry flight task, showing the patrolling area, got into the video.

These areas completely coincide with the available flight tracks by Flightradar24 and are located at the junction of the borders of Poland, Belarus and Ukraine.

The target detection range in the sky of Poland is fully demonstrated by the next frame from the video. It is not the Ukrainian sky on it, however, but the Baltic Sea region and russian Kaliningrad.

In this case, the E-3 Sentry radar range of air and surface targets is at least 800 km. By the way, the exact specifications are secret, only the range of more than 500 km was officially reported.

Also, no one hides the fact that AWACS works in the interests of Ukraine and transmits data about planes, missiles, UAVs and ships directly to the Armed Forces of Ukraine in real time. Moreover, the E-3 Sentry equipment allows to conduct radio reconnaissance, fix and locate russian radars.

"But off-camera, some describe watching Russian radar signatures disappear after being engaged by Ukrainian jets and missiles, earlt warnings too of incoming bombing or missile raids, watching russian troops movements and the exact position of russian warships at sea" - says the journalist. Moreover, one of the AWACS operators told how Ukrainian jets chase russian ones.

"That was cool. They’re fighting back and they’re taking control of the country they love and they’re pushing the russians out," said the U.S. Senior Master Sergeant Alissa.

It is noted that such flights are regular and provide a constant survey of the airspace of Ukraine, and while one AWACS is completing its work, the other is already going to the patrolling area.

https://en.reseauinternational.net/...es-daujourdhui/ - chaser

quote:

en.reseauinternational.net
NATO warning and reconnaissance systems were completely disabled in today's Russian strikes
Valentin Vasilescu
3–4 minutes

A naval attack group, which includes frigates, 3 submarines and the landing ship Pyotr Morgunov, left on January 11 from the Novorossiysk base. Washavianca-class submarines have been used to launch Kalibr cruise missile attacks on Ukraine. Subsequently, there was intense GPS jamming in the western Black Sea. NATO has decided to deploy 3 E-3 AWACS aircraft to Otopeni Air Base in Romania. This decision shows that something has started to go wrong in the Ukrainian AA defense early warning system based on information provided by NATO.

Russia carried out several strikes this morning on kyiv, the city of Zaporozhye and the Ochakovo naval base in the Mykolaiv region. Air alerts weren't working. Deputy Commander of Ground Forces of Ukraine Lt. Gen. Alexander Pavlyuk noted that "the causes of the explosions will be announced separately." Which shows a lot of confusion, basically Ukrainians don't know what hit them. It was only 6 hours after the attack that they learned that Russian missiles had entered Ukraine via Belarus.

It is possible that Russia has created certain zones of invisibility for aerial and satellite detection systems. The Russians have several highly effective jamming systems, including the R 330ZH Zhitel and the Krasuha-4.

The R 330ZH Zhitel follows the dialogue (transmission and reception) between the NAVSTAR navigation satellite networks (GPS) and the airborne reconnaissance means (RC-135V, RQ-4B, E-3 AWACS). Simultaneously with tracking, the jamming of the R 330ZH Jitel interrupts the reception and transmission (delivery of information) from aerial reconnaissance platforms. The main mission of the Krasuha-4 is to jam the radars of manned reconnaissance aircraft (RC-135V, P-8A Poseidon and E-8C JSTARS), E-3 AWACS early warning aircraft and unmanned reconnaissance aircraft (US RQ-4B Global Hawk drones). The Krasuha-4 also jams US military reconnaissance radar satellites Lacrosse and Onyx.

The inability of NATO reconnaissance aircraft to warn Ukraine of an impending Russian airstrike will force the Ukrainians to keep their AA missile battery radars operational. That the Russians can neutralize from the air with anti-radar missiles.

Valentin Vasilescu

translation avic - International Network

tl;dr Russians are messing with AWACs and now Ukraine has to turn on the radars

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
trying to attack Lviv would be a military blunder thats even bigger than ever other military blunder russias had up to this point, theres 0% chance it would succeed especially at this point of the war.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

sorry Ukraine, love the single sleeve and colors but Russias got the Big Bazongas

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

trying to attack Lviv would be a military blunder thats even bigger than ever other military blunder russias had up to this point, theres 0% chance it would succeed especially at this point of the war.

duh

this isn't to guard against a russian push, it's ratcatching for deserters and people fleeing mobilization

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

Believe the point is that they're allegedly keeping military-aged males in Lviv (to be conscripted), rather than to be setting up a defense against Russia in Lviv

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

sorry Ukraine, love the single sleeve and colors but Russias got the Big Bazongas

fem fatale vs fem fatal

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Neurolimal posted:

Believe the point is that they're allegedly keeping military-aged males in Lviv (to be conscripted), rather than to be setting up a defense against Russia in Lviv

:smith:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's been stated upthread but ukraine is so rural that if people don't want to be found, it's gonna be hard to recruit them successfully. they don't have the manpower to root through barns. my friend in texas evaded the marines after signing up when he was eighteen, it can be done

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

i say swears online posted:

it's been stated upthread but ukraine is so rural that if people don't want to be found, it's gonna be hard to recruit them successfully. they don't have the manpower to root through barns. my friend in texas evaded the marines after signing up when he was eighteen, it can be done

I think Lvov along with the most Western cities were considered "places of refuge" prior to this point because more active press-ganging hasn't been happening. Obviously, this has changed.

However, yeah, you may have the resources for checkpoints around a city, but yeah searching every barn in every village is another matter. The issue isn't there aren't "military age men" in Ukraine, it is just getting harder and harder to find them and get them to fight.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Al-Saqr posted:

I support Al-Saqr

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Al-Saqr posted:

When the Ukrainian death squad comes in their unmarked van to take you away for pro-Russian sentiments, I'll lie and say you're out of town visiting your cousin Anatoly.

I'll do this at great risk to myself because yes that rack is fantastic.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

gradenko_2000 posted:

I support Al-Saqr

not sure what he meant by that but he hasn't been wrong so far. I support Al-Saqr

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's clear from the photo that russia needs more support

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Zudgemud posted:

Calling Finns reindeer fuckers are like calling today's Americans buffalo fuckers because some Native American tribes hunted buffalos on the great plains and the buffalo remains an important cultural component in some of the surviving First Nations.

would it be racist if i called george w bush a buffalo fucker because hes famous for doing rancher cosplay

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

doverhog posted:

I'm gonna sleep at some point and do something else so don't get your hopes too high.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

either probe these guys while they're in here (don't actually) or let them go peaceably. don't keep tabs on them to see if they are talking poo poo somewhere else and then nail a 2-day old post for it. or if you do don't admit it. we're petty enough without you doing this kind of poo poo. it's also insane to do this while saying that you do not want dnd and cspam to be at forums war

i am begging you to just let calibanibal to take care of things. he has been doing a great job for the past week or two and you are being a huge dork

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cuttlefush posted:

either probe these guys while they're in here (don't actually) or let them go peaceably. don't keep tabs on them to see if they are talking poo poo somewhere else and then nail a 2-day old post for it. or if you do don't admit it. we're petty enough without you doing this kind of poo poo. it's also insane to do this while saying that you do not want dnd and cspam to be at forums war

i am begging you to just let calibanibal to take care of things. he has been doing a great job for the past week or two and you are being a huge dork

The regime is losing popular support, and activists are putting forward opposition candidates

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
im actually fairly certain that probation was racially motivated

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Cuttlefush posted:

calibanibal hasn't posted in three weeks and i'm concerned it may be beet (beetroot) related

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Gravid Topiary posted:

calibanibal hasn't posted in three weeks and i'm concerned it may be beet (beetroot) related

he can handle it

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

The regime is losing popular support, and activists are putting forward opposition candidates

BREAKING: US Congress formally recognizes Calibanlibal as rightful moderator of the CSPAM Ukraine thread, promises economic and material aid in battle against Majorian regime condemned by many as ‘authoritarian’.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Comrade Koba posted:

BREAKING: US Congress formally recognizes Calibanlibal as rightful moderator of the CSPAM Ukraine thread, promises economic and material aid in battle against Majorian regime condemned by many as ‘authoritarian’.

Human Rights NGOs formally condemn 'sixers' as a brutal form of torture that violates UN conventions, requests the entry of 'neutral observers' into the subforum

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Comrade Koba posted:

(me, a filthy uneducated peasant toiling in the fields for 2 cents an hour)

Eh the parades where we all salute and cheer at gunpoint won't change, just the person wearing the peaked cap in the open topped jeep.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Comrade Koba posted:

Juan calibaniguaido

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i’m seeing double here!

4 russias?!

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Calib, as he is known in my village... Calib was nabbed by the police a few weeks ago. He hasn't even been formally charged or convicted.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gravid Topiary posted:

the modmin that mods the best is the modmin that mods the least

Cerebral Bore has issued a correction as of 09:19 on Jan 16, 2023

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

Come back doverhog

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Calib, as he is known in my village... Calib was nabbed by the police a few weeks ago. He hasn't even been formally charged or convicted.

(looks up from front desk of state police station, slams shut large hardcover log book)

Citizen Corky Romanovsky, you are mistaken. There was never a resident of this village called Calib. Forget about that name and return to the factory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

so that was caused by some guy using the wrong wrench? lmao