Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Idk about Yelich but Bellinger’s fall has some pretty clear signs of physical issues. Everyone remembers the dislocated shoulder in gm7 of the 2020 NLCS but they all forget the broken leg at the start of 2021 which cost him nearly 2 months. His Max EV took a hit in 2021 and has yet to recover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who are some other guys who went from MVP-caliber to dog poo poo in the course of one or two seasons? It's just weird that it happened to the two guys who were vying for the MVP spot and even had Dan and Dave style ads about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKJkfE1M9wA

Of course Dan and Dave also stunk it up in the 92 olympics (one of them missed the games entirely because he couldn't pole vault good) so perhaps we should've seen that as an omen.

zoux fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 18, 2023

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

zoux posted:

Who are some other guys who went from MVP-caliber to dog poo poo in the course of one or two seasons? It's just weird that it happened to the two guys who were vying for the MVP spot and even had Dan and Dave style ads about it

Of course Dan and Dave also stunk it up in the 92 olympics (one of them missed the games entirely because he couldn't pole vault good) so perhaps we should've seen that as an omen.

Ryan Howard really fell off a cliff too. folks always fall off after their peak (hence it being a peak), and some have steeper downslopes than others, but if you've gotten to the point where everyone is looking at you as MVP-caliber (and slapping you on the cover of Madden et al), everyone is really going to notice when you're no longer that good.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Anthony Rendon was 3rd in MVP voting in 2019 and replacement level in 2021

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

zoux posted:

Who are some other guys who went from MVP-caliber to dog poo poo in the course of one or two seasons?

Chris Davis never won an MVP, but after he hit 53 dingers in 2013 and 47 in 2015, he nosedived fast

Imagine paying 23 mil for -3.3 WAR

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Paracaidas posted:

I choose to believe the Tatis suspension is what enabled Franmil to make the team, so really it's all worth it.

Also:
https://twitter.com/dennistlin/status/1615754365364756483

Further underscoring what a massive haul that was, especially with Wood leaping up prospect boards based solely on his pre-trade performance (his post trade was thoroughly pedestrian).

James Wood? Sounds like Nats twitter is about to get really lovely :v:

Mr. Fix It posted:

Ryan Howard really fell off a cliff too. folks always fall off after their peak (hence it being a peak), and some have steeper downslopes than others, but if you've gotten to the point where everyone is looking at you as MVP-caliber (and slapping you on the cover of Madden et al), everyone is really going to notice when you're no longer that good.

Howard pretty clearly never recovered from tearing his ACL if you look at his stats before and after

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mantle made the HoF without a freakin' ACL, ya gotta rub some dirt on it

lmao the Marlins. Surprised the Os are that high but I guess they wanna get on the band wagon before it's a band wagon

zoux fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 18, 2023

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Some guys gradually decline and others just hit a wall.

Some guys no longer get tipped off on what pitch is coming next.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

In this scenario was Cody Bellinger the only Dodger hitter getting signs in 2019 or are the rest just impervious to it?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

All the rest have Altuvesque integrity

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Yelich had a bad kneecap injury IIRC and never got it back after.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

bawfuls posted:

In this scenario was Cody Bellinger the only Dodger hitter getting signs in 2019 or are the rest just impervious to it?

Talking about Yelich. Bellinger seems to be a swing issue that is probably due to injuries.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yelich modified his swing to get a lot more lift, funnily enough by his own admission with the help of Bonds who the Marlins otherwise were on record as being the worst hitting coach they'd ever seen. As far back as the statcast era has existed Yelich has always been a ~90th percentile exit velo guy or better, even these last two years where he's been bad he's still hitting the hell out of the ball. The "problem" seems to be that his back issues have gotten worse and to compensate he's flattened his swing, so now he's back to blistering balls into the dirt instead of the stands.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Niwrad posted:

Talking about Yelich. Bellinger seems to be a swing issue that is probably due to injuries.

Yelich's never been the same after getting hurt, too.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

zoux posted:

lmao the Marlins. Surprised the Os are that high but I guess they wanna get on the band wagon before it's a band wagon

The Marlins subreddit moved this offseason, according to the comments. They'd still be dead last but it's a lot closer.

In other funny news

https://twitter.com/Twins/status/1615848334220034048

I'm sure it's not like an awful signing or anything but the way they hype it up is still funny

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

zoux posted:

Mantle made the HoF without a freakin' ACL, ya gotta rub some dirt on it

This chart implies that the Marlins have the best fanbase in baseball

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Who's in the BA top 100?

More importantly to my interests, who are the Mets in the top 100?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I saw a yt showing how bellingers led injuries robbed his power which was pretty compelling

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Yelich and Bellinger are great examples of the limits of recovery.

I feel like a lot of fans think that players of any sport can always come back 100% with the right rehab but even smaller injuries like a high ankle sprain can permanently effect flexibility and strength of the joint.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

habeasdorkus posted:

Who's in the BA top 100?

More importantly to my interests, who are the Mets in the top 100?

C Francisco Alvarez: No. 9
RHP Kodai Senga: No. 16
3B Brett Baty: No. 33
C Kevin Parada: No. 50
OF Alex Ramirez: No. 92
SS Jett Williams: No. 98

Feels a little odd for Senga to be considered a prospect, but otherwise that's a very fine showing for their farm system.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Atlanta signs Kevin Pillar to a minor league deal. His previous interactions with the Braves include calling Jason Motte the bad f-word after getting quick-pitched in 2017 and taking a pitch to the face in 2021.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

zoux posted:

Dan and Dave were 30 years ago and drat you for making me feel old.

Also lol Reebok for one of the biggest ad flops of all time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Dan and Dave were 30 years ago and drat you for making me feel old.

Also lol Reebok for one of the biggest ad flops of all time.

They did a 30-for-30 about it!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

zoux posted:

Who are some other guys who went from MVP-caliber to dog poo poo in the course of one or two seasons?

Chris Davis comes to mind

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Barry Bluejeans posted:

Feels a little odd for Senga to be considered a prospect, but otherwise that's a very fine showing for their farm system.

Meanwhile the Cubs have the grand total of 3, which seems less than ideal after 4 years missing the post season and burning down the house. To be fair, 2 of the 3 were from teardown trades #25 PCA, #91 Alcantara, with Davis coming in at 84, but then you also have to look at the results of poo poo like the Darvish salary dump trade- Owen Cassie has seemingly backtracked and fallen out of the top 100, headliner Reggie Preciado can't hit, and the rest of the under-18 travel team Jed traded for are in the process of washing out. At the Cubs convention the team more or less admitted to breaking Caleb Killian's mechanics with the talk of getting him back to where he was, which is actually an improvement on this banger of a quote from the Cubs VP of Pitching last year "It’s important that he kind of understands where he is on this path, and he understands why collectively we make the decisions that we do. If that leads him here, great. And if it doesn’t, that’s also fine.” which I'm sure really helped get him going. What has their vaunted Pitch Lab actually produced aside from a couple so-so middle relievers and a lot of Tommy John Procedures?

Even when guys like Ben Leeper or Matt Mervis pop off, there's still no room at the inn due to the seemingly neverending river of mediocre reclamation projects flowing in, then (not) soon (enough) out of Wrigley so we get to enjoy the Robert Gsellman/Zach McKinstry/Erich Uelmen/Luke Farrell/Eric Hosmer experience instead letting young guys get acclimated, or just seeing what they have. Someone like Dakota Mekkes may be trash, but he was on the rise before the lost 2020 season- can you tell me it's a better idea to give Daniel loving Norris innings in the middle of a dogshit season instead of letting your MLB coaches see if he can be something? Even a seeming success story like Christopher Morel was more a Bob Ross style happy accident- he was supposed to be a short term fill in because the plan was to send Morel back to get Michael Hermosillo and Rafael Ortega as many at-bats as possible. Luckily for Morel he went white hot for a couple of weeks and got to ride out the season spreading joy and love wherever he went. Unless lovely middle infielders with positional flexibility and 30 year old AAAA relievers (Jed totally has a type) are the new market inefficiency I have no idea what the Cubs plan is going forward aside from more dumpster diving and I'm not sure they do either.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Andruw Jones fell off a cliff but I'm pretty sure that was injury related

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Meanwhile the Cubs have the grand total of 3, which seems less than ideal after 4 years missing the post season and burning down the house.

Aren't you fancy with your three top 100 prospects.

The Royals are terrible and only have one in the top 100.

(Of course a lot of that is a lot of guys debuted last year. Still, it's suboptimal for a team that tries to mostly build through the draft).

Thanks GMDM. Your legacy of terrible drafts lives on.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Meanwhile the Cubs have the grand total of 3, which seems less than ideal after 4 years missing the post season and burning down the house.

Hey, come on. We got swept by the Marlins in 2020.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The Cubs farm situation is kinda weird in that the farm overall is pretty highly rated by (#6 per Fangraphs IIRC) but it lacks high impact super start talent. Rather the Cubs have way more "yeah he'll be a perfectly fine big league contributor" guys than most farms. You can already kinda see this hitting the majors on the pitching side, where the Cubs haven't really developed an ace (Steele popped off for a couple months but I'm not ready to declare him here yet) but they have Steele, Thompson, Alzolay, Wesneski, Assad, Alzolay, and Sampson who are all perfectly serviceable MOR/BOR types, with Kilian and Wicks fast approaching to join the mix.

The lack of superstar talent is annoying though, and it's not helped by the fact that it's clear the Cubs aren't interested in spending to try and land one in FA. Swanson is the closest we've come in a while and I'd say he's more good-to-great than perennial AS. PCA is really the only guy even remotely close to the show with huge upside, a lot of scouts still seem to think Hernandez is the next coming of Jesus but he's 19 and hasn't played above rookie ball yet so who knows what'll happen there.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/MLBONFOX/status/1616180944116846592

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's the book on him, why did he go from lights out to non-tendered? I know he had some beef with the Yanks front office but did he lose velo or something

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

zoux posted:

What's the book on him, why did he go from lights out to non-tendered? I know he had some beef with the Yanks front office but did he lose velo or something

He hasn't been lights-out for a while. Yeah, he's lost velo, but he was an all-stuff 2-pitch pitcher with awful command. Now he's a some-stuff 2-pitch pitcher with awful command.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

His fastball has been in steady decline since 2016 so presumably that a big part of it

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

zoux posted:

He's a piece of poo poo who loves giving up big homers in the playoffs and not showing up for team events if he's not the closer.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah. His fastball is down so he's overthrowing it and has no real control. Then he's over relying on his slider and hitters wait for that. Its been a steady decline for years now. For awhile it was "he gets better when the weather warms up" and then it was "watch to see if he has control". But last year he just didn't have much of anything left and there was no "ok, he's turned the corner" moment like there had been for the last few years.

Maybe he could still be lights out if he's rested/healthy/whatever. But its been steady and he's still an rear end in a top hat.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
when he was throwing 103 he didn't really need much command because hitters basically had to start swinging before they could see where the ball was going

this stops working when you're only sitting at 98

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mcmagic posted:

He's a piece of poo poo who loves giving up big homers in the playoffs

Lol he sure does

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Julio Cruz posted:

when he was throwing 103 he didn't really need much command because hitters basically had to start swinging before they could see where the ball was going

this stops working when you're only sitting at 98

He was never pinpoint but now he's genuinely overthrowing and is often nowhere near the plate. He's not challenging guys up and in anymore. He's just going all Wild Thing half the time and walking the bases loaded.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Joe Maddon personally destroyed Chapman's arm and I'm okay with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sydin posted:

The Cubs farm situation is kinda weird in that the farm overall is pretty highly rated by (#6 per Fangraphs IIRC) but it lacks high impact super start talent. Rather the Cubs have way more "yeah he'll be a perfectly fine big league contributor" guys than most farms. You can already kinda see this hitting the majors on the pitching side, where the Cubs haven't really developed an ace (Steele popped off for a couple months but I'm not ready to declare him here yet) but they have Steele, Thompson, Alzolay, Wesneski, Assad, Alzolay, and Sampson who are all perfectly serviceable MOR/BOR types, with Kilian and Wicks fast approaching to join the mix.

The lack of superstar talent is annoying though, and it's not helped by the fact that it's clear the Cubs aren't interested in spending to try and land one in FA. Swanson is the closest we've come in a while and I'd say he's more good-to-great than perennial AS. PCA is really the only guy even remotely close to the show with huge upside, a lot of scouts still seem to think Hernandez is the next coming of Jesus but he's 19 and hasn't played above rookie ball yet so who knows what'll happen there.

They are very deep in good, not great pitching prospects. I don't necessarily think that's bad considering how much pitching prospects vary as they develop. Hope being that a couple guys will turn into frontline starters and others can provide depth. Their problem of course is they have never been able to develop pitching.

It's clear they just don't see themselves as a big market team. Jed has talked a great deal about his admiration for both Cleveland and Tampa. I'm guessing they'd like to be a slightly higher-budget version of the Guardians. Develop players in-house and hope your weak division gets you in the playoffs. The difference is that both Tampa and Cleveland have much better front offices and development systems. Jed has been a pretty bad GM and should have been let go by now.