Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Pants Donkey posted:

Is Vander is the standard trap character you want to avoid giving too much exp to? I’ve been relegating him to tanking hits in the early chapters.

the 'standard' isn't a trap, the standard is just like, use them like a normal unit and then ditch them when they're no longer useful. Don't solo maps with them but don't fuss over never ever using them either. Thinking too hard about it, is the real trap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

They changed the level up jingle :argh:

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

FrickenMoron posted:

I had to switch to the classic control method immediately, I don't know why but I don't like the direct one at all.

It's soooo bad. I can kind of understand why it's the default though, because series veterans that find it off-putting are probably much more likely to dig around in the options to change it than vice versa.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I don't think I understand how chain attacks and backup characters work. I have Boucheron adjacent to a unit that I'm attacking with and nothing is happening.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Cattail Prophet posted:

It's soooo bad. I can kind of understand why it's the default though, because series veterans that find it off-putting are probably much more likely to dig around in the options to change it than vice versa.

I'm a series veteran and I dig it. It's fine.

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

I don't think I understand how chain attacks and backup characters work. I have Boucheron adjacent to a unit that I'm attacking with and nothing is happening.

Boucheron needs to be next to/in range of the enemy you're attacking, not next to the ally that's doing the attack (but next to both is fine), and he'll contribute a little chip damage.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Miftan posted:

I'm a series veteran and I dig it. It's fine.

Boucheron needs to be next to/in range of the enemy you're attacking and he'll contribute a little chip damage.

Oh okay it's target adjacency not attacker adjacency, I feel dumb for not trying that. Thanks!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

Oh okay it's target adjacency not attacker adjacency, I feel dumb for not trying that. Thanks!

Nah don't, it took me like a whole 10 minutes to go figure out why he's the only one doing it lol

The sub-categories are really cool but I definitely need to get used to them.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Can I have a dlc for the classic level up sound please.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

Can I have a dlc for the classic level up sound please.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm so out of practice with Fire Emblem that I only beat chapter 3 (on hard) by pure luck because Alear dodged the boss on the final turn

Can't wait to get an armor knight so I can have a reliable tank

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

cheetah7071 posted:

the 'standard' isn't a trap, the standard is just like, use them like a normal unit and then ditch them when they're no longer useful. Don't solo maps with them but don't fuss over never ever using them either. Thinking too hard about it, is the real trap

No, Vander isn't a Titania. He gets literally 1 XP for kills.

Do not get kills on Vander, absolutely use him to set up kills.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Fire emblem

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, Vander is uh real bad overall. He's decently tanky at first but he falls off super hard because his stats are balanced around being like level 7 unpromoted except his HP and being promoted gives you a crippling EXP penalty.

He's also significantly worse at tanking than Louis who basically fulfills the normal 'Jeigan' role once he shows up except he's a really good unit.

Like he was pretty easily my first bench because he had fallen behind in usefulness behind Clanne and Framme.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

yeah, and that's exactly what cheetah just said you should do: use him and then ditch when he's not useful. the point was that it's not a trap to use the guy when he's around and it will not matter if he "steals" 50 exp from you by getting a kill or two

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

He's super good for exactly those reasons, yes. He fulfills his role to a tee.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Amppelix posted:

yeah, and that's exactly what cheetah just said you should do: use him and then ditch when he's not useful. the point was that it's not a trap to use the guy when he's around and it will not matter if he "steals" 50 exp from you by getting a kill or two

Eh, I'm playing on Maddening and man hasn't needed to get a kill yet. So like him stealing experience is completely avoidable.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is it just me or is this back to being single RN for hit rates? In recent games you'd just about never miss a 95% chance to hit, but I've seen it multiple times already (once in my own game and a bunch of times watching videos/streams), which would be consistent with it actually being a 95% chance to hit.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'd wager on Fates rules.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

blizzardvizard posted:

What's Chain Defend?

A Qi Adept unit at 100% HP can stand next to an ally and defend them as their action. The next attack against that ally will do no damage, but the Qi Adept loses 20% of their HP. (At least that’s how it’s described, I haven’t tried it myself yet)

Seems like it’ll be a good way to lure out bosses and other dangerous units without risking death from a big crit or engage attack.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Wow. Beat the final boss in the first five minutes. The game was short and easy as hell. Guess I’m throwing the cartridge in the loving trash.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So far I'm loving the gameplay, it's pretty much exactly what I wanted from a new Fire Emblem on that front. And I'm kind of enjoying the story, too. It's just lighthearted and breezy and there's nothing wrong with that.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Nibble posted:

A Qi Adept unit at 100% HP can stand next to an ally and defend them as their action. The next attack against that ally will do no damage, but the Qi Adept loses 20% of their HP. (At least that’s how it’s described, I haven’t tried it myself yet)

Seems like it’ll be a good way to lure out bosses and other dangerous units without risking death from a big crit or engage attack.

Oh right, Chain Guard. For a second I thought it's an upgraded version of it or something :v:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Louis with the Sigurd ring is absolutely loving busted, lol.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Giving Sigurd to Framme first seems like a good idea. Gives her some additional killing power to help her catch up with everyone else's levels, and healing gives you Bond and Engage meter. Your combatants might not fight every turn but she'll definitely be healing, so she can get to Bond level 5 to pick up Canter pronto. I managed to reach bond 5 in two chapters, so now I can hand it off to the next person in the Canter inheritance relay. (Though I don't think she's up t 1000 SP, so it'll probably be a little while longer.)

It's probably going to Etie next.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Does it matter what I feed Sommie? Feeding him a rare food doesn't seem to increase the rewards

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

I'm on Chapter 3 Hard/Classic right now and puzzled because I got up to the boss and they dumpstered Alear. Each subsequent attempt I've done worse, losing Etie and then Framme in another attempt. Each time I do the same opening moves, yet the AI doesn't consistently do the same things so I'm never really feeling out what would be smart to change up as i go on. Is there a way to aggro the last few pegasus without getting the boss and co down my throat at the same time? Should I backpedal my units once aggrod so I can take the pegasus without getting dog piled the next turn? Things are just not clicking with my dumb rear end and this map already, and it feels real bad.

Edit: I managed it, also chain guard rules.

Syrnn fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 20, 2023

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Einander posted:

Giving Sigurd to Framme first seems like a good idea. Gives her some additional killing power to help her catch up with everyone else's levels, and healing gives you Bond and Engage meter. Your combatants might not fight every turn but she'll definitely be healing, so she can get to Bond level 5 to pick up Canter pronto. I managed to reach bond 5 in two chapters, so now I can hand it off to the next person in the Canter inheritance relay. (Though I don't think she's up t 1000 SP, so it'll probably be a little while longer.)

It's probably going to Etie next.

as advice, you can forge framme's weapon to make her do some solid damage and be on par with the rest of your army. in the arena in sommie, which you may or may not have unlocked yet (I think it's after chapter four, just check your fast travel sommie map in the menu) you can just straight up buy bond levels with the bond points, and level five across the board is a cheap 400. you have to then buy the skill if you want it outside of having the emblem tho, and sp doesn't have a fast track system.

Sydin posted:

Louis with the Sigurd ring is absolutely loving busted, lol.

louis and chloe both become absolute gods with sigurd on, although chloe's starting stats could use a strength drop to get her fully online.

Gamerofthegame fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 20, 2023

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I was a HUGE fan of Three Houses; its world-building, characters, and overall tone, so I'll jump in the chorus of people saying that I find the story of this game pretty predictable, and the tone a little irritating. With all the rings, this is Fire Emblem: Captain Planet.

But the gameplay seems like it's pretty fun so far. The UI changed enough that it's taking a little getting used to though. (And why in the world is the run button in non-battle sections R instead of like B, or Y??)

I'm playing Hard, and it feels like a decent challenge. My characters are not steamrolling the enemies, so I actually have to think and be careful with placements.

vvvvvvv *mind blown* vvvvvvvvvv

Inu fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 20, 2023

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Inu posted:

(And why in the world is the run button in non-battle sections R instead of like B, or Y??)

It’s secretly also Y.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I’m personally finding it very amusing to pick up the obligatory Expertise character (hi Jean) and chucking him to his death in the area. He gets pasted by pretty much every single person, but he somehow beat Micaiah of all people.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

to be clear on back-up units, they just need to be in range to attack the enemy. that means if you give boucheron a hand axe he can be two spaces away from the enemy and still chain attack.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I cannot stand Jean's English VA work and will 100% not be using him even though I'd wager he's the prototypical level one kid with insane growths.

Also not a fan of Clanne but he keeps piling up Mag/Spd level ups so he can stay... for now.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Why would I ever use clanne when Celine and citrinne are in this game lol

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
why would you use citrinne when anna is in this game

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
clanne is like, laser focused on having exactly the right stats for hard mode. Exactly one-rounding enemies that would otherwise take three combats

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Louis just never falls off. Dude is a consistent wall of death so long as he isn't facing down mages/effective weaponry/dragons. Armor units in general are loving incredible in Engage, which I feel is only fair considering how classically bad they've always been. If I ever find boots I'm still giving them to him though so he can even more effective jam himself into enemy formations and dismantle them on his own.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

cheetah7071 posted:

clanne is like, laser focused on having exactly the right stats for hard mode. Exactly one-rounding enemies that would otherwise take three combats

Yeah it's this, he's the only unit in the army right now who can reliably one round or cripple a unit enough from full health to be finished off without having to be engaged.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

frankly armor units being able to turn off one of the game's core features feels a touch much, though i never thought he like, literally broke the game, he just seems a touch centralizing, at least on hard. personally id have just made armors immune to the first break each turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Sydin posted:

I cannot stand Jean's English VA work and will 100% not be using him even though I'd wager he's the prototypical level one kid with insane growths.

Also not a fan of Clanne but he keeps piling up Mag/Spd level ups so he can stay... for now.

I very much enjoy Jean’s English VA personally. It’s charmingly silly.