Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

mcmagic posted:

What exactly do the Yankees do well as an organization other than throwing money at FA's?

make you get angry and post about it on the internet

edit: that definitely goes for me as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

WBC rosters are starting to come out. Here's some notable Cubs:

Majors
Seiya Suzuki: Japan
Marcus Stroman: Puerto Rico
Trey Mancini: Italy
Nick Madrigal: Mexico
Miles Mastrubuoni: Italy

Notable Minor League/AAAA Guys
Matt Mervis: Israel
Owen Caissie: Canada
Javier Assad: Mexico
Esteban Quiroz: Mexico
Ben DeLuzio: Italy

Excited to watch Cubs dudes in the WBC.

TIL Stroman is half Puerto Rican

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

"Yankees are 6th in number of prospects on the list."
"GOD! Why don't they do anything right!?"

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Not sure I've seen Mervis on a top 100 list til now. That's awesome, I really hope he's a Guy.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

STAC Goat posted:

"Yankees are 6th in number of prospects on the list."
"GOD! Why don't they do anything right!?"

They also have very obvious and specific areas of development strength that scouts and other orgs know about and are complimentary of!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

camoseven posted:

I'm ready for baseball season

this

waffy
Oct 31, 2010
Interesting seeing Carroll at #6. On the BA list I think they said they unanimously agreed on Henderson #1 and Carroll #2. Then Chourio #3 who is quite a bit lower on this list.

They also mentioned they would not be surprised if Jackson Holliday was #1 next year and that he’s been getting tons of praise from everyone who’s seen him. Who knows, but if that happened it would be the first time one org would go 3 straight years with #1s. Seems like the Orioles have made some darn good picks recently and it will be fun to see how that infield shakes out.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Inspector_666 posted:

They also have very obvious and specific areas of development strength that scouts and other orgs know about and are complimentary of!

Its kind of a funny way to even evaluate an organization since like all but 9 teams have 3-5 prospects in the top 100 (or 101 apparently). Its like the Dodgers and Orioles are a class above everyone else and then there's everyone else. So yeah, if you're a fan who needs to always be angry you can be angry that you're not one of the two most stacked minor leagues in baseball. But its obviously such a surface level evaluation tactic that its hilarious to see someone mad that the Yankees only had 4 guys on this list even though they had 5 on the other list and there's 6 players between both of the lists scouts are high on and then whatever under that level in development? But its fun to yell and be performatively mad and ashamed.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Never realized Atlanta is as high as Arizona

https://twitter.com/JayCuda/status/1615921344054525954

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Bold of them not to prebuild below the axis for the Padres, Giants, Angels, Dodgers, and Marlins in the next edition.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

bawfuls posted:

e: wow i should read a post huh

lol at the insane jump to Coors

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Paracaidas posted:

Bold of them not to prebuild below the axis for the Padres, Giants, Angels, Dodgers, and Marlins in the next edition.
there are 14 stadiums on that graphic lower than Dodger Stadium

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

more falafel please posted:

e: wow i should read a post huh

lol at the insane jump to Coors

Mexico City is 7200 feet. I say we definitely expand there I wanna see weirder thinner air stuff.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bawfuls posted:

there are 14 stadiums on that graphic lower than Dodger Stadium

I'm pretty sure the implication is that california is going to fall into the ocean from an earthquake

nevermind that the san andreas probably isn't strong enough to do that

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm pretty sure the implication is that california is going to fall into the ocean from an earthquake

nevermind that the san andreas probably isn't strong enough to do that
the inclusion of Miami implied to me that it's about sea level rise but who knows, it's a weird list in the context of the graphic (Anaheim is also further inland and higher than like a dozen stadiums)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bawfuls posted:

the inclusion of Miami implied to me that it's about sea level rise

it's probably both!

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

IcePhoenix posted:

it's probably both!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

STAC Goat posted:

Its kind of a funny way to even evaluate an organization since like all but 9 teams have 3-5 prospects in the top 100 (or 101 apparently). Its like the Dodgers and Orioles are a class above everyone else and then there's everyone else. So yeah, if you're a fan who needs to always be angry you can be angry that you're not one of the two most stacked minor leagues in baseball. But its obviously such a surface level evaluation tactic that its hilarious to see someone mad that the Yankees only had 4 guys on this list even though they had 5 on the other list and there's 6 players between both of the lists scouts are high on and then whatever under that level in development? But its fun to yell and be performatively mad and ashamed.

I'm glad you think they are doing a great job!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

bawfuls posted:

https://twitter.com/JayCuda/status/1615924293019308033

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I didn’t know Atlanta was so piedmonty

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

How is anything in Illinois in the top half of elevation? The tallest point in IL is 1,235 feet above sea level, which is below the height of the Sears Tower.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Force colorado to play in a pressurized dome

Or contract them I guess, their ownership sure doesn't seem interested in fielding a competitive baseball club. Of course, difficult to do when you're the last team on the planet every pitcher wants to play for

:stonk:

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 20, 2023

Red
Apr 15, 2003

zoux posted:

Force colorado to play in a pressurized dome

Or contract them I guess, their ownership sure doesn't seem interested in fielding a competitive baseball club. Of course, difficult to do when you're the last team on the planet every pitcher wants to play for

:stonk:

Why isn't 2007 on there?

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

quote:

43 Tink Hence STL RHP

A very Cardinals name.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Gerblederp posted:

Starting to think this guy might actually be a fuckin moron

https://twitter.com/ShiDavidi/status/1616518066409553921

This front office fuckin sucks!!!

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1616523095656857600?s=20&t=GHgWKfgwlnFI-nissSaQHQ

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Red posted:

Why isn't 2007 on there?

Oh I cut it off at the "good" years , here they are

also this is just the NL

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

On its face, good deal for the Twins.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ugh, Yankees should've traded Torres for Lopez when they could have.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Marlins sure do love collecting infielders

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Lmao they’re gonna let everyone walk so Ted Rogers can collect another pittance for his pile.

I fuckin hate rich people man

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Holy poo poo, includes Salas as part of the deal too.

I'm not sure Lopez is a massive upgrade to the rotation, but Arraez was increasingly without a position and had legs held together by chewing gum. Going to miss him though, the only Twins hitter as fun to watch at the plate as Buck.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Penisaurus Sex posted:

On its face, good deal for the Twins.

https://twitter.com/Matt_Winkelman/status/1616523278033588224

I feel like a Pablo Lopez is harder to find than a Luis Arraez, and Arraez mostly played 1B/DH anyway. Miami definitely needs more offense, so this helps them, so it's a win for them, but I think the Twins got a lot better by making this move and bringing Correa back.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
No idea how good Salas is but it's always good when you acquire the best player and the best prospect moving in a deal.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Arraez is unique and a really fun player. Maybe the best contact hitter in baseball, though the lack of power limits his value somewhat. 3 years of Arraez for 2 years of Lopez seems fair. I'd take the Marlins' side of that, TBH. IDK anything about the prospects though.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

How is anything in Illinois in the top half of elevation? The tallest point in IL is 1,235 feet above sea level, which is below the height of the Sears Tower.
half the league is in a coastal city

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'd worry about Lopez's production going forward, 2022 was the first year he threw more than 110 IP, and while he was a bona-fide ace for the first half once he started to get past 100 IP he fell off hard and was basically a 5 ERA guy for the rest of the season.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1616526306744696833
https://twitter.com/CraigMish/status/1616528159410720768

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Holy poo poo this is... a good deal? For Minnesota??

A serviceable pitcher, a top-5 org guy, and decent-looking lottery ticket for Arraez is pretty dang good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

rickiep00h posted:

Holy poo poo this is... a good deal? For Minnesota??

A serviceable pitcher, a top-5 org guy, and decent-looking lottery ticket for Arraez is pretty dang good.

Salas is in the top 100 of that list posted last page so yeah seems pretty good. I think Arraez was kind of becoming positionless so maximizing his value seems like a good idea.