Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
engage's stats are a whole lot tighter, I feel. 3h you could snowball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

Endorph posted:

if you want an assassin class the s-rank marisa (sacred stones) bond ring gives lethality.

Is it possible to inherit skills from generic rings at all?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
that doesn't tell me how much is getting tripled!

and yes I could open up the enemy's stat screen to do the math myself but it's really dumb that everything is so drat awkward!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theshim posted:

and yes I could open up the enemy's stat screen to do the math myself but it's really dumb that everything is so drat awkward!

idk everything seems very streamlined here, i mostly like the ui here. i mean there's no reason they shouldnt let you check the weapons stats if you want but this ui is 100000000000x better than 3h's or fates's.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Gamerofthegame posted:

engage's stats are a whole lot tighter, I feel. 3h you could snowball.

I like that aspect of it as well. I think it frustrated me with Radiant Dawn/Path of Radiance when character growth numbers would spike into the atmosphere and later scenarios would be balanced around that, while Engage has kept the math on a pretty tight leash so far.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I wanted to use Boucheron, but it doesn't seem smart to anymore when he's level 6 and now 3 level 10s with way better stats are joining. I wish he'd had better Str at least, you'd think he'd have more than 10 Str at base for all the talk about his huge muscles.

Are skirmishes rarer in Maddening? I still haven't seen one up until Chapter 7.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

blizzardvizard posted:

I wanted to use Boucheron, but it doesn't seem smart to anymore when he's level 6 and now 3 level 10s with way better stats are joining. I wish he'd had better Str at least, you'd think he'd have more than 10 Str at base for all the talk about his huge muscles.

Boucheron's niche is that he's your only axe chain attacker.

Also get used to units joining way above your level constantly.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

theshim posted:

what on earth are you talking about

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Augus posted:

what on earth are you talking about

the bonus damage effective weapons do is based on the might of the weapon, which is an obscured stat in these menus

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tae posted:

That's Anna actually

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tae posted:

Also get used to units joining way above your level constantly.

Anna is also an axe chain attacker and you get her before literally any other chain attackers besides him.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Workout teacups.

That is all.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Anna's stats don't seem too great either. All the early game axe characters look pretty lackluster for some reason meanwhile the lancers are both really good

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Anna is a mage who is in the wrong class as a joke.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I like that alcryst has a hairclip shaped like a razor blade

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

As an appreciator of jokes I think I will keep her as an Axe Fighter. Maybe give her Celica as a ring though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i just made her a sword/axe hero and gave her the Levin Sword

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My Anna has been very successful as a warrior, strength completely in line with a melee frontliner

That's fe I guess, you never know what you're going to get

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
i take back any negative comments i"ve made about the writing, this is GOTY tier

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I've been considering making Anna a Griffon Knight or Wolf Knight but like 15% strength growth without Axe Fighter/Warrior/Berseker's +20/30 to it is pretty awful.

Maybe I can make it work if I keep Tiki stapled to her. Wonder if anyone's figured out what the growth rate bonus her skill provides is.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I’ve had to staple Boucheron to the bench. Just couldn’t hack it with enemies starting to get a bit tougher. A shame he didn’t make enough gains to stay in in this run.

Lapis was a freaking godsend because I only had Alear as my sword unit and there’s a ton of axes. Can’t really rely on her dodge tanking either

Game is excellent

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hey Celine is a sword unit!

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Oh my god rosado is the cutest person in the history of video games...

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Why the gently caress is Leif the Sage Lord?

He's pretty fun though. I gave him to Lapis which grants Build +3 and then had her inherit the Build +3 skill from him on top of that, so now this tiny girl has the build of an armor knight and swings around swords bigger than she is without any penalties. gently caress yeah.

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 22, 2023

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Huh, looking at his growths Boucheron only has a 20% native Strength growth for some reason? That explains a lot.

His main claim to fame does seem to be the fact he has the highest Build growth in the game, also 20%.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Why the gently caress is Leif the Sage Lord?
its his title from the ending of thracia

quote:

Leif - The Prince of Leonster (レンスターの王子)

"Along with Lord Seliph, the rightful heir to the Imperial throne, Leif led the war to liberate Jugdral. After seizing the capital of Belhalla, Leif went on to fight numerous battles throughout the continent. When all was said and done, Leif's fame and renown ultimately surpassed even that of Holy King Seliph. In year 780 of the Grannvale calendar, North and South Thracia were unified into one country. Leif took the throne of this New Kingdom of Thracia, and together with his queen, Nanna, and older sister, Altena, led his motherland into a new era of prosperity. They were beloved by the people of North and South alike. Dedicating their lives to reunifying Thracia, Leif and Altena were hailed as the successors to Dáinn and Njörun. In the annals of Thracian history, the name of King Leif the Wise, the "Sage-Lord," will echo for eternity..."

the old 'in america' tl patch cut that title tho so a lot of western fans probably arent familiar with it

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Zore posted:

Huh, looking at his growths Boucheron only has a 20% native Strength growth for some reason? That explains a lot.

His main claim to fame does seem to be the fact he has the highest Build growth in the game, also 20%.

My Anna is 3 levels behind him and just as much strength, with 12 to her 4 mag. Granted, she got Tiki, so her growth is higher but still.

My Alear dodge tanks everything though, with most things rocking a 0 to 20% hit rate, even when not using Marth or a slim sword.

I do wish there was a way to get more SP. The gains are slooow.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
you can apparently cheese mp by engaging with micky and dropping multi-heal templates

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

to be clear whats happening there is micaiah makes heal/mend/etc staves aoe, but you still get the same amount of sp as youd get if you healed those four individually. so it doesnt really give you 'more' sp, it just speeds up the process of grinding it.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Infinity Gaia posted:

I think people are going to be discussing the ideal use for each emblem for a long time to come. There's a lot to be said about reinforcing existing niches vs adding to a units versatility, for instance. Hell, it's not exactly an idea *completely* without merit to toss Celica on someone like Louis and just use Warp Ragnarok as a "surprise, there's an armor knight in your backline" button.

I actually did this and I’m not going to say it’s a good idea, but it is very funny

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ltc clears of this game are gonna be wild. also looking forward to messing around with maddening no emblems

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I wonder if the revival stones were conceived as a way to make it harder to end maps early by rushing the boss. It seems to me like that’s their main impact.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nrook posted:

I wonder if the revival stones were conceived as a way to make it harder to end maps early by rushing the boss. It seems to me like that’s their main impact.
if revival stones didnt exist you could just warp ragnarok/astral storm/sigurd most bosses instantly

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
They're surprisingly effective given how simple they are.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

they're the health bars from 3h but without the boss suddenly gaining increasingly bullshit mechanics each time (or the annoying shield-break mechanic)

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Emblem Marth, I presume?

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
I'm the one. The Divine One, to be clear.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I'm a little late to the party but I'll be damned if I'm not going to complain about the writing of this game on the internet.

The game is written like IS looked at the competent writing that was 3 Houses and said 'never again'. It's like they were wearing their pants, thought 'this doesn't feel right', put them on their head and thought 'much better'.

Alear is just dopiest goody-goody JRPG protagonist imaginable. I have decided I never want to hear a protagonist A: reflexively tell a villain to do something they obviously won't ("let her go") or B: respond to a dramatic scene by muttering somebody's name ever again. And here Alear is promising to make me relive the worst parts of Xenoblade 3. I want my silent heartless murder blender Byleth back.

I know I'm pretty early on but every companion is so boring I don't even want to pair them off.

This is actually bad enough that it's slightly dampening my enthusiasm towards playing the game. I played through all 3 paths of FATES FFS. I played through remembrance twice. And that was fine. But this? At least I could look at the bad poo poo in Fates writing and decide 'ok this is serving some kind of gameplay conceit albeit poorly. Child rearing dimension because they wanted children but didn't want a time skip or time travel' All the bullshit with Remembrance so they could have a 'secret' middle ground path. But this is just lame for no good reason so far.

And I'm on Chapter 6...

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
also maybe it shows up somewhere and I missed it, but I'm chuffed that the dialogue takes pains to never ever refer to Alear by gender, but also has voiced lines for every single possible character/emblem combo

And I am only now realizing that maybe they're actually committed to referring to the choice as picking a form and that they're deliberately not imposing a gender on the player avatar. That's actually pretty cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The writing is fun and I'm feasting on all the whining of the haters.