Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Obligatum VII posted:

One of Leif's rings at S rank turns thunder into a brave weapon.
:stare:

of course, i find this out after chapter 11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Endorph posted:

yeah i enjoy the gameplay much more. the worldbuilding and stuff isnt as interesting but its a competent enough adventure story once it gets going and even 3h's writing, its best quality, had its own issues.

i thought the plot was god awful horrible and the relationship level ups barely passable so more gameplay and less words sounds perfect

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Did the rumors about Gust collaborating with IntSys have any basis?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Tae posted:

Chapter 13 and 14 is really showing how bad the cutscene directing is. A lot of standing around with talking direct in front of a threat.

it's not really an excuse, but this is pretty standard for jrpgs tbh. it's a tales staple, even.

sometimes they do an idle combat animation while talking directly infront of a threat, but engage does have one of those

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Really hate that cooking seems to be very random

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Endorph posted:

and its not like canto is literally the only good skill. you can get resolve/wrath going off of ike, and byleth's divine pulse is cheap, early, and good - it's a 30+luck% chance to turn a miss into a hit. it basically supplants any need for dex. the only real disadvantage to it ive seen is i think it just goes 'oh, you missed, here's a hit,' so you cant crit.

and corrin's draconic hex is -4 to all stats of an enemy you attack, so its basically just a free boss killer.

Yeah that's fair. And some of the later emblems do have some pretty great skills, at least on paper, so maybe it's really just that Canto is available so early that's hurting my perception of the balance.

Like Vantage/Wrath is still there (hell, an even better version of Vantage if you can manage the SP cost for Vantage++), Alacrity++ can probably be pretty nuts on a fast enough unit to trigger it regularly, Divine Pulse is a "never miss" skill for dirt cheap, having a lot of Chain Attackers lets you do some pretty nutty things on player phase, etc.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 23, 2023

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
got my first rank G dish earlier. absolute heroes choking down a plate of burnt

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Sudden Javelin posted:

got my first rank G dish earlier. absolute heroes choking down a plate of burnt

I was wondering how low the rankings would go. Lol that it goes below F

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

G actually does nothing, which is probably preferable over F giving mostly stat penalties

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Can't believe Vander cooks for boomers.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Gamerofthegame posted:

it's not really an excuse, but this is pretty standard for jrpgs tbh. it's a tales staple, even.

sometimes they do an idle combat animation while talking directly infront of a threat, but engage does have one of those

This is actually something Gust is great at. I mean, not this actually, they definitely still have characters sitting around in front of the boss, but they've gotten quite good at direction for more low-stakes cutscenes.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Blaziken386 posted:

speaking of the S-rank bond rings, has anyone found any interesting ones? My first S-rank was Alm, and he gave the windsweep ability in addition to stats. It's not a great skill by any means, but it's the only skill I've found on a ring.

S rank Caeda has "take 5 less damage when at half health or less," which is pretty fun on Louis... or at least it would be, if he ever took enough damage to activate it. Huh, maybe I'd be better of putting it on someone who's only sort of tanky...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lol watching some higher level gameplay on Maddening, putting Dual Assist+ on a bunch of backup units seems pretty goofy and fun. Any time anyone attacks they get like five chain attacks and it really adds up.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Should I be concerned with nobody ever gaining BLD? Like My Alear seems beefy in most respects but she's still got a 4 in that at level 7.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Caidin posted:

Should I be concerned with nobody ever gaining BLD? Like My Alear seems beefy in most respects but she's still got a 4 in that at level 7.

It's pretty consistently the lowest growth in the game, for fairly obvious reasons. Hell, this is the first game in the series where it's even a growth

The only character likely to have an actually reasonable rate of it is Boucheron, and even there it's only like 25-30%

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your primary ways of gaining Build are skills and promoting. If you get a lucky point on level up that’s a nice bonus.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Supremezero posted:

It's pretty consistently the lowest growth in the game, for fairly obvious reasons. Hell, this is the first game in the series where it's even a growth

The only character likely to have an actually reasonable rate of it is Boucheron, and even there it's only like 25-30%

Second, actually, FE5 had build growths too, which were mostly low aside from the otherwise mediocre early game axe guy with a bizarrely growth in it, like Engage!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

on average most units will gain like 3 points of it total across an entire playthrough from level up. theres some outliers in both directions (framme has a 0% build growth because scrolls are so light) but

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Obligatum VII posted:

Tiki's "extra stat growths" skill is ostensibly something you'd like on everyone and costs a whopping 1.5k SP. It has ground my plants to throw Canter on everyone to a halt.

Do we know how much it increases growths by?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

a growth boosting skill might be good but it's "invisible" and expensive so I don't like it

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Lord Ephraim posted:

Stat caps make me realize that Berserkers are terrible. Terrible dex/spd/def/res while they can get well over 80 HP. Shame because I like the punk gothic look of Panette but any reclass option she loses her outfit. Three Houses lets you keep default outfits on infantry that came with a patch update and I hope Engage gets one as well.

Berserkers are my second favourite class in the whole series and I always put in effort to try and work. I think Engage gives you just a ton of tools to work with and they've never been more fun. As someone previously mentioned, crit-stacking is super viable with Panette and mitigating her Class caps is relatively easy.

Ike was tailor made for Berserker. He gives you Wrath, Resolve, and a chunk of HP and Strength. In addition, Laguz Friend/Great Aether/Ike's Hammer/their gigantic HP pool makes it trivial to activate Wrath.
Both the Lyn and Eirika engravings give +40 Hit and +20 crit, which are perfect for hitting mostly anything you want. Byleth also has Divine Pulse and Sigurd has a flat +Hit skill if needed as well. Or you can give her Axe Power from Ike for more damage

+10 Crit from Panette's personal
+30 Crit from Killer weapon (another +10 for a fully forged Killer Axe)
+20 Crit from engraving
+30 Crit from Wrath

Gets you 90~100% crit easy. Enough for Panette to act as a walking "delete this" button and it rules. Great Aether acts as a tactical nuke you drop in a group enemies as well. Super fun.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Endorph posted:

on average most units will gain like 3 points of it total across an entire playthrough from level up. theres some outliers in both directions (framme has a 0% build growth because scrolls are so light) but

Yeah I noticed her and that british kid had 3's, I wasn't really sure if it was a problem. Clanne oddly has 5, because visually he is a total twerp.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
After getting to see a few supports from Alfred and his crew, I wonder how intentional it is that he's basically doing everything wrong in terms of building muscle. It seems like he and Etie basically spend all their time sexually harassing Boucheron, who is honestly not that into muscle but just happens to be genetically gifted to the point of looking like an action hero without working at it, demanding his muscle-building secrets. Meanwhile Alfred's routine seems like it's mostly bodyweight stuff and things like "hold up a weighted teacup until you can't anymore", which isn't really going to do anything for hypertrophy.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Alfred's supports with Alear and his retainers are kind of weak, but all of the other ones I've seen are just him being a beautiful himbo.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Boucheron sounds like he has two voice actors and they take turns.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
My Etie has a ton more strength than Bocheron, which makes the supports all the funnier

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I wasn't ready for the desert twin bandit map trope to return.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it took them 30 years but they finally made the desert twins not homophobic. progress. actually i dont think the awakening ones had much of that either.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Endorph posted:

it took them 30 years but they finally made the desert twins not homophobic. progress. actually i dont think the awakening ones had much of that either.

Now they’re just boring. Still crazy deadly though, my only winning strategy was to park Yunaka on some terrain and laugh at their 0% hit rates.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The tomahawk one wasnt too bad but the brave axe one is basically impossible to tank

Also the awakening ones at least had a funny death quote

quote:

Vincent: I see your face, Victor... oh, wait. That's me...

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Louis is basically the anti-Kellam. Both big knights that lurk around listening to people but nobody knows Kellam is there whereas Louis gets called out for just hovering around in earshot of people's chats

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also I can understand why the localization team took a scorched earth policy towards any of the under 18 support endings considering the original Anna one is Alear having a romantic scene with an 11 year old.

Its like they saw the complaints about proposing to the thousand year old dragons who look like little girls and decided the solution was to remove the 'actually 1000 years old' part.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
how do I go back in time so I never see that

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
they didn't even do that, all of Alear's endings canonically include a 1000 year old dragon

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yunaka owns. That is all.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Zore posted:

Also I can understand why the localization team took a scorched earth policy towards any of the under 18 support endings considering the original Anna one is Alear having a romantic scene with an 11 year old.

Its like they saw the complaints about proposing to the thousand year old dragons who look like little girls and decided the solution was to remove the 'actually 1000 years old' part.

Kill it with fire.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Zore posted:

Assuming this is an accurate translation, it’s very confusing why that’s a thing when 3H just had pained endings that were just the two units being each other’s family, like iirc Lysithia/Hanneman.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Something I really hope they keep in future games is the unit type system, the types like Mystical or Backup or Covert. They do a really good job of giving classes strong identities and are also an elegant way to make classes like Sage stay relevant when Mage Knight or the couple flying mages you get are an option.

Sure, you could dump your infantry mages and go for mounted or flying ones, but those are Cavalry or Flying type and lose the ability to ignore the target's terrain bonuses, so it's an actual trade-off for the extra mobility. Similarly, sure you could reclass your Thieves to Wolf Knights, but then they lose the Covert typing that makes them untouchable with any sort of terrain avoid bonus--again, a trade-off that's actually worth stopping to think about. You could make all of your melee units Wyvern Knights pretty easily, but those are Flying type, not Backup type, so you lose the ability to have them do chain attacks (which it turns out can be pretty drat powerful with some skill support).

edit: now that I think about it, the pattern seems to be that infantry units have really useful type bonuses, while the type bonuses for mounted unit types are just "more mobility." That means there's actually a strong reason to use a variety of infantry classes, because as great as mobility is, those infantry type bonuses (Chain Attack, Chain Guard, covert terrain bonus, mystical terrain ignoring, immunity to break) are really good and often worth keeping.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 23, 2023

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

that pic came from a real piece of work "anti-localisation" chud twitter account so i wouldn't trust the translation unconditionally, but given that he was trying to make the official version seem bad for removing this maybe we can lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Amppelix posted:

that pic came from a real piece of work "anti-localisation" chud twitter account so i wouldn't trust the translation unconditionally, but given that he was trying to make the official version seem bad for removing this maybe we can lol

I mean if that's putting it in the best light to try to make the localization look bad uh either that person has lost touch with reality by going so far down the 4chan rabbit hole they think out and out pedophilia is a good thing or its someone deliberately trying to troll.