Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
When it comes to borderline cases like Andre Dawson, was he elite while he played, or was he really to pretty good for a very long time? I saw him as a compiler who came up short. He played for 20 years and still came up shy in all the milestones. At least with Rolen, you could argue he was (among) the best 3B of his era. Even then, he played at the same time as Beltre and Cabrera.

After he got in, the most consistent justification I'd read was that he would've been legendary if his knees hadn't been destroyed by turf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

How many center fielders were better than Dawson during the 80’s, where he was an 8x All Star? How is he not among the best at his position during his career?

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 25, 2023

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I feel this is also relevant to this conversation, via Dan Szymborski. (Hi Dan!)

https://twitter.com/DSzymborski/status/1618277136925597700

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

zoux posted:

Dude if your theory has you saying things like "Ichiro was a borderline guy"

Speaking of questionable cases now, does Ozzie Smith even sniff a 26 man roster in 2023

If IKF is getting a roster spot then yeah I think Ozzie would too

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

IKF catching a lot of strays.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hey we're comparing him to a Hall of Famer

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

FlamingLiberal posted:

Put Ryan Braun in the Hall

delete this

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Put the lab guy Ryan Braun threw under the bus in the hall.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

not funny

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
If you aren't gonna put Bobby Abreu in the HoF how are you gonna put Ichiro in :smug:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'd like to see a zero-based hall approach where every member has to be re-voted in every year.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

zoux posted:

The Hall of Just Ted Williams.

I don't know, he didn't play defense, never won a championship, had a...contentious relationship with the media and the fans. Are we sure he's a hall of famer?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

howe_sam posted:

I don't know, he didn't play defense, never won a championship, had a...contentious relationship with the media and the fans. Are we sure he's a hall of famer?

On base percentage of .000 from 1942-46. Real ones get it done no matter the state of international geopolitics.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

rickiep00h posted:

Put the lab guy Ryan Braun threw under the bus in the hall.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

zoux posted:

The Hall of Just Ted Williams.

IcePhoenix posted:

The hall of only Mariano Rivera

Put both at their peak in The Show and simulate 1000 at-bats. If Ted manages to hit .400 off Rivera, he gets to be the only guy in the Hall. Otherwise, it's the hall of Mariano, and Ted can have a bat in there with a little sign that said "Baseball also had players called 'hitters'".

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lumpy posted:

Put both at their peak in The Show and simulate 1000 at-bats. If Ted manages to hit .400 off Rivera, he gets to be the only guy in the Hall. Otherwise, it's the hall of Mariano, and Ted can have a bat in there with a little sign that said "Baseball also had players called 'hitters'".

only one of them had 100% of the votes sorry those are the rules

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

FlamingLiberal posted:

If you disagree, you're probably an anti-Semitic Cubs fan :colbert:

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

mcmagic posted:

It should be like completely obvious to everyone that a guy is a hall of famer imo

I agree with this to a point, because if you just sort by WAR then pretty soon you're arguing for Evan Longoria in the Hall. 58 WAR, he's a borderline case! When no one ever thought of Longo that way.

But I also don't think a guy has to put up insane Bonds/Trout/Kershaw/etc stats every year to be a Hall of Famer. Adrian Beltre wasn't an MVP candidate every year, but you look back on his career and he's clearly one of the best third basemen ever.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

bawfuls posted:

How many center fielders were better than Dawson during the 80’s, where he was an 8x All Star? How is he not among the best at his position during his career?

Not many besides Kirby Puckett, perhaps. But a dearth of talent at a position doesn't mean the best at that position are necessarily elite.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

How many people has Ted Williams killed and why is he not subject to character clauses? Just because he was at war he’s allowed to get away with it?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think the fact that he posted only one WAR over a four year period is more of an indictment.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

IKF catching a lot of strays.

Yeah, he does that his glove isn't really the point though

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Red posted:

Not many besides Kirby Puckett, perhaps. But a dearth of talent at a position doesn't mean the best at that position are necessarily elite.
Then the stated criteria of “one of the best at his position for an extended time” is useless.

This is also an argument for objective stat based criteria, because you’re trying to compare across eras.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

alpha_destroy posted:

I feel this is also relevant to this conversation, via Dan Szymborski. (Hi Dan!)

https://twitter.com/DSzymborski/status/1618277136925597700
Yes this is a very real consequence of the steroid witch hunt bullshit

So many stars of the late 80/early 90s fell off the ballot due to allegations of steroid use

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

For a while I've been thinking about starting a thread where goons can submit ballots listing people they'd vote *out* of the Hall of Fame. Now seems like a decent time to actually follow through on it.

I'm thinking no limit to the number of people listed on a ballot, and anyone on at least 75% of ballots gets voted out. Submitting a blank ballot would mean that you think everyone already in the Hall should stay in. Just like the actual Hall of Fame voting, you could vote a person out for any reason or no reason at all. Ballots would be sent in via PM, but goons would be allowed/encouraged to 'publish' their ballot in the thread.

Any other guidelines people would want to see? Or a tweak to the threshold?

I'll probably set it up when I get home from work tonight, with a ballot deadline of first pitch of the first spring training game (currently Feb 24th).

Red
Apr 15, 2003

bawfuls posted:

Then the stated criteria of “one of the best at his position for an extended time” is useless.

This is also an argument for objective stat based criteria, because you’re trying to compare across eras.

Oh, agreed; if you ask me why Rolen is in, that's my explanation, but from my small hall perspective, I wouldn't have put him in.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Red posted:

What does elite even mean then? Especially in regards to premium positions like s catcher, shortstop, and center? Elite compared to what?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Paper Tiger posted:

For a while I've been thinking about starting a thread where goons can submit ballots listing people they'd vote *out* of the Hall of Fame. Now seems like a decent time to actually follow through on it.

I'm thinking no limit to the number of people listed on a ballot, and anyone on at least 75% of ballots gets voted out. Submitting a blank ballot would mean that you think everyone already in the Hall should stay in. Just like the actual Hall of Fame voting, you could vote a person out for any reason or no reason at all. Ballots would be sent in via PM, but goons would be allowed/encouraged to 'publish' their ballot in the thread.

Any other guidelines people would want to see? Or a tweak to the threshold?

I'll probably set it up when I get home from work tonight, with a ballot deadline of first pitch of the first spring training game (currently Feb 24th).

There are 341 members of the HoF

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I will officially be the first person to submit a blank "voting out" ballot. That's just mean.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

I will officially be the first person to submit a blank "voting out" ballot. That's just mean.

Whoa huge Cap Anson fan over here

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah but on the other hand both Jack Morris and Bud Selig are huge pieces of poo poo who do not deserve to be in the hall so gently caress 'em, they're on my ballot.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Sydin posted:

Yeah but on the other hand both Jack Morris and Bud Selig are huge pieces of poo poo who do not deserve to be in the hall so gently caress 'em, they're on my ballot.

Wow, a perfect ballot

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

zoux posted:

And statistically not nearly enough Cubs.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Sydin posted:

Objectively speaking, a huge number of HoF members are/were probably huge pieces of poo poo.

to be clear, I'm not disagreeing that pieces of poo poo shouldn't be in the Hall, but we should be consistent

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

zoux posted:

Only 270 are players, but there's still easily some that could be removed without making the Hall any worse/less significant.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I mean its the same problem all over again. If I start voting dudes out for being pieces of poo poo then I gotta create a Piece of poo poo standard line or something. Just more effort than its worth really. At least Cap Anson is dead.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I mean its the same problem all over again. If I start voting dudes out for being pieces of poo poo then I gotta create a Piece of poo poo standard line or something. Just more effort than its worth really. At least Cap Anson is dead.

The Roberto Alomar line

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

And you know what will happen. We'll vote out all these horrible racists and rapists and then Harold Baines will have to take the elevator with them. That's just not fair.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

No Safe Word posted:

Only 270 are players, but there's still easily some that could be removed without making the Hall any worse/less significant.

Rabbit Maranville comes to mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Beltre is a lock next year but I'm curious to see how Mauer and Utley do. They're both pretty good examples of name recognition and positional dominance with the hardware to show for it but overall numbers that are a bit lacking