Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Antonymous posted:

true, CGI has a better chance if the shot is actually filmed with the CGI elements already figured out. its insane that the clothing in the marvel films are CGI. they look good cause there was a good understanding and research done into how to achieve the desired effect before principle photography

edit: i never saw these movies and watching on youtube now 4 years later - meh. still looks like a videogame. but I remember buying it when I saw these things were CGI the first time that was in the news

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7Z4J66uyIk

why did they not just film with actual costumes
did they not have the looks finalized in time?
Didn't want to bother with fittings?

absolutely bizarre choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

at 2:03 Scarlett takes a breath and the CGI suit just inflates like a balloon instead of whatever a real space suit would do lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
when probably 60% of the actor is replaced with CG anyway it's actually easier

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Beeftweeter posted:

when probably 60% of the actor is replaced with CG anyway it's actually easier
that's right

its cheaper to throw some mocap buttons, and go hog wild. good costuming = $$$$$$$$

i think goons/nerds sometimes overly complain about cgi, but the reason it's popular is it's extremely good at reducing labor costs. no need for a seamstress or costumer when you just pay some guy in taiwan $2/hr to do it in maya3d. all the computer stuff is non-union

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

this is the tweaking problem

they changed her anatomy as well as almost every aspect of the suit

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

hmmm some of this stuff is kinda cool and hard to spot, but other stuff is like did that sidewalk curb really need to be slightly raised for some reason?
this kinda stuff always seems to have like a 'clean' veneer or fake' grimy' filter or something.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Xaris posted:

that's right

its cheaper to throw some mocap buttons, and go hog wild. good costuming = $$$$$$$$

i think goons/nerds sometimes overly complain about cgi, but the reason it's popular is it's extremely good at reducing labor costs. no need for a seamstress or costumer when you just pay some guy in taiwan $2/hr to do it in maya3d. all the computer stuff is non-union

i don't think all applications of cg are bad, and rendering quality these days is obviously good enough to fool most people lol

sometimes it does look straight up unnatural though, above is a good example, but there are numerous examples in extremely high budget stuff

the first two star wars episodes (that is, the first two sequels in that trilogy lol) are another, if you watch it today it is extremely obvious and hasn't aged well at all. lucas made the same mistake in shooting them natively at 720p too

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

McCloud posted:

A lot of VFX artist have talked about why the CGI is trash in so many (MCU) blockbuster movies despite the enormous budgets and it comes down to the directors just not caring/knowing what they're doing. A good director will sit down with them ahead of time and outline exactly what the scene is about, what they want to see, preferably with good storyboards, and check in periodically to make sure it looks like what they envisioned, to avoid major last-minute adjustments that are both expensive and require a lot of work from the animators.

Bad directors on the other hand will give vague instructions about what they want, and once the scene is like 95% done will ask for major adjustments making them start from scratch, leading to stress, burnout, forced overtime etc etc, and also making the end product look like poo poo

A director really cant do that when the studio comes in after wrap and changes a bunch of things to be more syngergetic with the other IPs. You could get the best director in the world with a concrete vision for one of these movies and the studio would gently caress it up to add scenes to hype up another movie, or completely change an action scene becaue they didn't like it. The directors on these big Disney movies have to have the least power ever

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

actual good cgi/david lynch crossover https://vimeo.com/229621231

nolan aint toppin this

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Its nolan he wouldnt cgi it he would just actually nuke something

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Jaxyon posted:

gently caress Avatar I want James Cameron's Oppenheimer where he actually does the Trinity test

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

A lot of The Hobbit being awful is forgivable when you consider Jackson had like no pre-production because the studio wouldn't push back any of the dates when Del Toro dropped out

He was literally making poo poo up on the spot and everyone was rushing to the very last minute just to get things put together, whereas LotR was planned out for like 2 years before filming.

PJ is the head of half the studios involved in both trilogies, he was the executive producer (meaning it was most likely his decision to axe del Toro and his ideas) and they began pre-production in 2008 (the first one came out in 2012).

Sorry nerds, but PJ is just hit & miss as a filmmaker, there's no faceless big other to excuse it. It happens :shrug:

This scene also rules????

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

wally brando is the best thing ever put to a screen

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

i say swears online posted:

the man has a maoist vision that needs telling

lol

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Who has less power

MCU director of random movie

Or wherever directed return of the Jedi with George over their shoulder

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Dr. Killjoy posted:

through mulling over the potentialities no matter how absurd we can force reality to match them. the question is, how to do so for the better?

It's going to be funny watching the guys who post pictures of Renaissance paintings and complain about the decline of Western Civilization all embrace the guy who makes crudely drawn cartoons about little goblins with their dicks out doing pedophilia.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

Who has less power

MCU director of random movie

Or wherever directed return of the Jedi with George over their shoulder

MCU director by far.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Yeah, and then he put it back on throughout production by stress-eating bread and cheese.

King Kong though.. yeah. It wasn't great. I think that was the start of Jackson going all George Lucas and getting more into the technology than the filmmaking
which is probably why he's not making films now

PJ was always into sfx and tech since at least bad taste. He had a film come out last year lol

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Been seeing columbo compilations a lot on YouTube, and it sure seems like everyone he busted was upper class

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUu_i6XTVHI

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

ikanreed posted:

Been seeing columbo compilations a lot on YouTube, and it sure seems like everyone he busted was upper class

yeah all the perps are rich pricks or authority figures who can't help themselves and think they're pulling one over on the schlubby detective but boy are they wrong! it owns.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
also equilibrium mostly sucks and is boring outside of the (too few) gunkata scenes

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

fits my needs posted:

hmmm some of this stuff is kinda cool and hard to spot, but other stuff is like did that sidewalk curb really need to be slightly raised for some reason?
this kinda stuff always seems to have like a 'clean' veneer or fake' grimy' filter or something.

probably no ordinance for having wheelchair access at that time. they did it seamlessly imo

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Blood Boils posted:

PJ is the head of half the studios involved in both trilogies, he was the executive producer (meaning it was most likely his decision to axe del Toro and his ideas) and they began pre-production in 2008 (the first one came out in 2012).

Sorry nerds, but PJ is just hit & miss as a filmmaker, there's no faceless big other to excuse it. It happens :shrug:

This scene also rules????

I don't think anyone's out there going to bat for Jackson's career after the LotR

granted it's probably very hard as a creative person to realize you've undeniably peaked at 40
the man helped make some of the most beautiful fantasy films ever - where do you even go from there?

Dicking around with old documentary footage is the right choice

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

KomradeX posted:

A director really cant do that when the studio comes in after wrap and changes a bunch of things to be more syngergetic with the other IPs. You could get the best director in the world with a concrete vision for one of these movies and the studio would gently caress it up to add scenes to hype up another movie, or completely change an action scene becaue they didn't like it. The directors on these big Disney movies have to have the least power ever

Dante Spinotti gave a lecture on Heat when I was at school and he said as an aside that on Ant Man & Wasp they just hand him a storyboard and lighting diagrams (lighting is done in advance so the CGI will look right with it) and he basically just manages the teams doing it. but he probably got paid good and he's super old. he deserves their money

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Spielberg got his big start directing Columbo

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

They should let John Carpenter "make" an MCU film
that's a man that deserves some do-nothing money

he might even do the score

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

granted it's probably very hard as a creative person to realize you've undeniably peaked at 40
the man helped make some of the most beautiful fantasy films ever - where do you even go from there?

I don't think he was involved in Dragonslayer or Excalibur but ok

Laterite posted:

also equilibrium mostly sucks and is boring outside of the (too few) gunkata scenes

It's dumb fun, even if teenaged boys over-rated it

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Laterite posted:

There's two good scenes in Equilibrium

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
huh theres a free 30 day trial of hbo max if you use bing

for some reason

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

huh theres a free 30 day trial of hbo max if you use bing

for some reason

self-report

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Antonymous posted:

Dante Spinotti gave a lecture on Heat when I was at school and he said as an aside that on Ant Man & Wasp they just hand him a storyboard and lighting diagrams (lighting is done in advance so the CGI will look right with it) and he basically just manages the teams doing it. but he probably got paid good and he's super old. he deserves their money

Its great for just getting a paycheck but not really making a movie. Its color by numbers for moving pictures

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Discovery continued to ax anything msde by WB. Doom Patrol and Titans have been canceled.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Got 3 episode into the Brit version of ghosts on HBO max. Slow pilot but I was really on board by the end of ep2. Pretty drat funny moments

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Antonymous posted:

If you thought you were an 'artsy kid' in the early 2000s idk how david lynch and radiohead weren't a fact of life. it was unavoidable
i didn't watch tv or movies and listened exclusively to leonard cohen

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

a strange fowl posted:

i didn't watch tv or movies and listened exclusively to leonard cohen

[Hans Moleman voice]

No, that's too artsy.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Antonymous posted:

[Hans Moleman voice]

No, that's too artsy.

lol

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

We'll see who still has the guts to make fun of cgi after a 108yo Robert Deniro is digitally de-aged for Goodfellas 4

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

clint eastwood sells his likeness to the studios with the stipulation they have to update the cgi to reflect his current (or projected after death) age

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

i say swears online posted:

clint eastwood sells his likeness to the studios with the stipulation they have to update the cgi to reflect his current (or projected after death) age

lol