Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

value-brand cereal posted:

Because they want to participate in society and being outside and touching the grass?

I like participating in society too, but I wouldn't go to la tomatina if I had a severe nightshade allergy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA with my wife for getting another cat when we have a 4month old?

slowly going no contact with mom by getting a cat for every room of the house

quote:

her ethnicity (we are both white but my wife is Eastern European white so she has a tinted kind of white)

I had to go chase this down and the OP reveals in comments that the wife is from the very tinted country of Lithuania and that his mom just doesn’t like her because she’s not English like them.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Pirate Radar posted:

I had to go chase this down and the OP reveals in comments that the wife is from the very tinted country of Lithuania and that his mom just doesn’t like her because she’s not English like them.
Ah so the mom is probably a UKIP supporter or some other flavor of British far-right.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

NGDBSS posted:

Ah so the mom is probably a UKIP supporter or some other flavor of British far-right.

so barging in is probably the only way she can get anyone to spend time with her

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Silly Newbie posted:

I like participating in society too, but I wouldn't go to la tomatina if I had a severe nightshade allergy.

I wouldn't either, but the last couple years have made it clear that many people are not dissuaded from this kind of participating in society for reasons like "It might literally kill me".

AITA for buying my boyfriend a maid outfit for his birthday?

quote:

I (F25) recently had my first anniversary with my boyfriend (M25.) I bought him a watch he'd been wanting and a math puzzle cause he's into stuff like that. My boyfriend knows what my likes are (I even told him I was excited about a new novel that was releasing,) and that I hate uncomfortable clothes. Yet, all he got me was some lacy lingerie for our anniversary. I felt kind of disgusted honestly, and explained to him why I didn't like this gift because it seems like he just wanted to sexualize me for his own self. He acted all confused and was pouty when I refused to wear them.

Yesterday was his birthday, so I got him a normal gift, but first gave him a cheap maid outfit I found online. I did this so he would finally understand my feelings around what it's like to be given a gift that is thoughtless and demeaning, but he just got upset with me for being "petty and insulting," especially on his birthday. AITA?

This is my favorite comment because I can't even begin to guess what word was supposed to be used:

quote:

YTA anniversaries are different from birthdays. Anniversary gifts are norepinephrine for the both of you. If he had got you lingerie for your birthday it's an entirely different matter. Since it was just the anniversary though....think of it like giving a present to the relationship rather than the person.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Pirate Radar posted:

Racism is not always based on the colour of one's skin. Sometimes it can be as simple as "Not from here", or "talks funny", or "eats weird food" etc.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Kurieg posted:

If you're allergic to peanut particulate then why would you go to a place where people are probably going to be tossing peanuts and empty shells on the floor, and there's no guarantee what, if anything of that is going to be swept up? Particularly if it's an outdoor game, someone 3 sections away could be cracking open peanuts and getting that dust blown into your face.

There's also no guarantee they don't use peanut oil for frying.

My wife has a peanut and tree nut allergy and this reminded me that a few years ago, on a long drive back from North Carolina, my sister-in-law let one of her kids open a bag of pistachios and start eating them (my wife was in the front seat, kid in the back). When my wife got out of the car, she sounded as if she had spent the night before screaming at a concert thanks to the reaction from the particulates.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
WIBTA for not compromising on my 40th birthday plans, because I feel kids come first on Christmas Eve?

quote:

I (39F) have until December to plan my 40th birthday party. My theme is either Star Wars, Mickey Mouse or Lilo and Stitch. Being a Puerto Rican born on Christmas Eve (Nochebuena), nothing is really open late, unless it's a bowling alley or party hall. I'm fine with staying home as we usually do. Food is a big thing and greatly appreciated. I'm looking for places that include children and young people, because as much as I love adult activities (except smoking, no judgment, personal choice) going childfree is not an option (I don't have kids, but am happy to be an aunt.) Knowing 40 is a “milestone” birthday is great, my 21+ family members may want to take me out, but, WIBTA for not compromising on my 40th birthday plans, because I feel kids come first on Christmas Eve? This is my first time choosing a theme. If I am the rear end in a top hat here, please explain, maybe it'll help me. Should I just roll with it and change tradition? Thank you.

AITA for getting pissed off about my lack of inheritance?

quote:

My parents inherited a large amount of money (millions) from my grandparents, and were also individually successful on their own.

You’d think that after inheriting millions, they would want to do the same for us when they pass- but they’re not. They decided to give all their money (north of 10 million) to a charity (their local church) when they both die. They explained that they feel I don’t need the money and mainly that I didn’t earn it.

I’m not hurting for money- I’m not rich, but I have a great job and generally am comfortable. But something about inheriting a bunch of money and then deciding not to do the same for your own children when you profited directly off it seems massively hypocritical to me.

Anyway, when they told me this I got very pissed off, basically told them they’re idiots, hypocrites, etc. I told them I didn’t want them around me, my wife or my kids because they clearly don’t care about their futures (I can’t afford to pay full tuition for all of them for college).

Up until that point we’ve had a great relationship- I have three kids that they see regularly and we generally see eye to eye on things. It is very confusing for me why they’d do this. I don’t feel entitled to anything from them, but also kinda do. It’s hard to describe. It definitely hurt.

AITA for this reaction? Should I make amends with my parents? I feel as if things will be strained going forward.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 26, 2023

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Cowslips Warren posted:

WIBTA for not compromising on my 40th birthday plans, because I feel kids come first on Christmas Eve?

I mean... Do whatever you want? You don't really explain why the kids have to be included since you don't have any yourself but whatever. I don't know why she's putting so much energy into worrying about it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Donating north of 10 million to charity when your grandkids might not be able to go to college is the boomerest thing to ever boomer.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

quote:

They used their inheritance as seed capital for a property rental business- they’re not entirely self made.

It’s not just money. It hurt hearing I don’t get anything.

Extra acid vat for the landlord parents

Edit: it's rich people problems in a way but jesus, help your grandkids go further in life if you can.

OP is getting mostly YTA calling him selfish and entitled

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Kurieg posted:

Donating north of 10 million to charity when your grandkids might not be able to go to college is the boomerest thing to ever boomer.

It’s not a charity, it’s their church

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Cowslips Warren posted:

tell them hey, maybe the church can give you some grandkids

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

BrigadierSensible posted:

Racism is not always based on the colour of one's skin. Sometimes it can be as simple as "Not from here", or "talks funny", or "eats weird food" etc.

Yes, agreed. It was just funny learning the truth in this case and realizing the mother would probably not see the wife as "tinted" if she had the same appearance but a different name and national origin.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

All that wealth in the family and then you find out your parents think you ain’t worth poo poo. Sorry you had to get saddled with student debt kids, Grammy and PapPap wanted to fund a church instead.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
AITA for evicting my mother after the way she accused my daughter of faking her illness?

quote:

I'll try to keep this short. I (49F) have been a single mother since 2013. I have three children; Izzy (23F) and Crystal and Katherine (21F twins). My mother Nancy (69) moved in with us last year and for a while everything was great. At the moment only my oldest and my oldest twin live with me, as does my oldest daughter's roommate Rebecca (22F). Last month Izzy developed a stomach ulcer. She has a doctor's appointment in two weeks to get an endoscopy in order to decide on proper treatment. Ever since the diagnosis Izzy has been taking good care of herself and recently spent close to $100 on food that is safe for her to eat and has developed a rigid routine to help kickstart the healing process; things like bread, fish, chicken, kefir milk, and plenty of fruits and veggies.

My mother, however, for reasons still unknown to me, believes my kids lie about everything and that Izzy is faking her ulcer for attention. Over the weekend while I was in WV visiting family my daughter stayed over at her aunt's house to babysit and took some of the food with her. She came home on Monday night and called me crying because over the weekend my mother tore up the kitchen and ate most of her recovery food, throwing away whatever she didn't like or wasn't safe to feed to our dogs and our rabbit. I immediately called my mom and demanded to know why she did that because now Izzy and Crystal have to go shopping all over again after she just spent so much of her hard-earned money on her new dietary needs. My mother simply said that she was lying anyway and was just looking for an excuse to "pig out and garner sympathy for a condition which she does not have". I was so confused about how a girl is supposed to allegedly "pig out" on salmon, smoothies, and dried fruits as well as fake paperwork from a gastroenterologist.

I decided this was the last straw and notarized an eviction notice yesterday. I served her at midnight. She's been packing all morning and has had some rather colorful opinions about me and the rest of my household. I am considering going no contact after the move, but did I go too far? AITA for evicting my own mother from my home?
Good on Petra for handing Mom her (notarized!) eviction papers as her first response to this bullshit.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Cowslips Warren posted:

My 40th is going to be a murder mystery where I'm the victim so I get to take a big nap on the floor while everyone else drinks and does whatever they want.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

FMguru posted:

AITA for evicting my mother after the way she accused my daughter of faking her illness?

Good on Petra for handing Mom her (notarized!) eviction papers as her first response to this bullshit.

just destroying $100 worth of food 'cuz you're super pissed off that your grandkid is getting more attention than you. also everyone involved is a grown-rear end adult

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
loving master plan. Fake the stomach ulcer, pass the gastroenterologist 50 to mock up some realistic looking paperwork. salmon and sympathy city. It's the oldest trick in the book. Glad I'm not the only one who sees through this kid.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AITA for telling my fianceé to stop copying my hobbies?

quote:

I've noticed for a long while now that whenever I start a new activity, my fianceé starts a similar hobby, if not the same one right after. For example, I recently started up BJJ to try a new workout other than my usual gym routine, and a week later she signed up for a kickboxing class. And before that, despite her never being a gym rat in the first place, when she learned how often I go, she started coming along with me to workout. (Admittedly, she would go off and do something else, like a dance class while I weight lift, but still.)

My fianceé has her own hobbies that she always had even before we met, but every new one seems to be inspired by me now. I like to play video games to decompress after work, and now my never-really-into-games fianceé is buying old Kingdom Hearts copies from her childhood and playing them again. She is into every genre but rock, but the more I blast it around the house, the more I hear her playing it in the car and trying to incorporate it in her songs (she likes to write music sometimes).

It's not about her having fun (that's great, I love that). It's not about I hate spending quality time together (I don't, I love her). I'm just a little concerned because I don't want us to become one of those married couples who do everything together and we lose our individuality. I would think it's healthy she chooses at least one or two hobbies not inspired by me?

So with BJJ example, when she told me about the class she's starting at the local kickboxing gym, I said jokingly, "You know, babe, we don't have to do everything together." I definitely meant it with no harm, it was just a build up feelings of what I'd been observing for a long while. She asked what I meant, said she's "not copying me" and seemed a little offended. AITA?

The person I ostensibly love most in life is doing things tangentially related to things I like, how do I put a stop to this travesty??

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

she was never into videogames, that's why it's so weird that she's back into the videogames she used to be into

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

**AITB for telling a woman to mind her own business after she asked me to cover up my back acne at the gym? Serious **

quote:

I'm a 21F. Every Tuesday, I have a really busy schedule. My first class goes from 9am-11am, my second class goes from 3pm-5pm and my only tutorial for the day goes from 7-8pm, so I have a lot of free time in between lectures. I'll often go to the campus gym and do a full body workout.

I do my workout (weights, the machines, etc.) and I decided to go walk the track that's upstairs in the building.

I should point out here that I have bad back acne. It's kind of gross looking, but it usually doesn't stop me from not wearing my jacket unless I get cold and wearing my sports bra in the gym.

I was doing the track when this older, early 50s woman passed by me and shot me this dirty look. I figured she had a good look at my back and I just shrugged it off. I got defensive and shot back a look that said "I know I have back acne."

After a bit, we ended up meeting up at the same spot where she first stared at me and she said something along the lines of: "Honey, you should cover that up."

Despitely immediately knowing what she was talking about, I asked her what she wanted me to cover up exactly.

"Your back zits."

I firstly went into a rant at her about how acne technically should be aired out instead out in a sweaty area, if I put my sweater on, it'll make me more zits. I then ripped into her about why the gently caress she was judging me on keeping my sweater off and that my acne was none of her business. I said it pretty audibly and some runners started looking at us.

She scoffed and said that millennials (I'm not even a millennial???) are so sensitive these days and that she was just trying to help me.

AITB? I feel like maybe I went off on her too much.

I don't remember exactly what I said, but I said something along the lines of;

"First of all, acne shouldn't be trapped in a sweaty area, it'll just produce more of it. Secondly, why are you telling me how to dress at the gym? My acne is none of your business and isn't bothering you."

UPDATE: HOLY poo poo, I HAVE THE MOTHER OF ALL UPDATES FOR YOU!!!!

quote:

I came into the gym this morning and as I was walking into the change room, this little Indian lady looked up probably to acknowledge the person coming in, looked me up and down and said "Come here, sweetheart, come here!", wagging her finger at me.

I walked over to her and she told me that she saw the whole thing yesterday and was PISSED. She firstly went into a rant about how body acne is nothing to be ashamed of and how I should continue to work out with it out in the open because it didn't bother her. I'll admit, I felt really awkward, but I thanked her. She then turned around and showed me HER back.

She had tons of zits on her back and said that she would cover them up, but she never cared too much about people's opinions of them.

But that wasn't all!

Apparently yesterday she was in the change room and saw the Karen come in. She asked the woman to come here RIGHT NOW and yelled at her at the top of her lungs in front of the whole change room about how dare she bodyshame someone like that and how would she feel if she went off on her.

Apparently she made the Karen cry too.

She mentioned that she didn't report her to the front desk at all. She said "They wouldn't have punished her at all. They come across hundreds of people. What would they do about one woman they'd probably never see? I had to punish her."

EDIT: I'm going to elaborate what happened with the Karen. Basically after I left, the Indian lady went to the changeroom and the Karen came in. The Indian lady, full of rage, wagged her finger like she did with me and told her to COME HERE RIGHT NOW. The Karen looked at her funny and then walked over to her. The Indian lady tore into her about how dare you disrespect a young lady like that. At first, the Karen refused to admit she did anything. She kept saying she had no idea what the lady was talking about, but the Indian lady called bullshit and told her that she mocked a girl's body. The lady got loud and she got nasty. The Karen didn't know what to say! She was exposed! And get this! The whole changeroom loving JOINED IN! Old women and young college girls were losing their god drat mind on this bitch and she started crying due to the embarassment!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I dimly recall some study or other that found actual Italian-born people did not give nearly as much of a poo poo about the "sanctity" of it as their descendants with hairs up their rear end about it overseas. Is it edible? Does it taste okay? Good enough!

There's one or two things that they are extremely 'sanctimonious' about :

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Dazerbeams posted:

All that wealth in the family and then you find out your parents think you ain’t worth poo poo. Sorry you had to get saddled with student debt kids, Grammy and PapPap wanted to fund a church instead.

That's the thing for me. OP isn't whining because they didn't get the full amount. They're hurt because their parents decided they (and their kids!) deserve nothing. Like, there is no way OP is the rear end in a top hat.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

kimbo305 posted:

There's one or two things that they are extremely 'sanctimonious' about :

I am generally against telling people what to do with their food, but I think putting ketchup on pasta should probably be a misdemeanor.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

therobit posted:

I am generally against telling people what to do with their food, but I think putting ketchup on pasta should probably be a misdemeanor.

Teen witch, do you have any ketchup with pasta stories from Sweden?

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Ketchup and pasta is a Filipino thing

Granted they use bananas for their ketchup, but it tastes mostly the same just sweeter

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
I love ketchup, I just wish it had more of that real tomato flavor. oh well, I guess it's just one of those unsolved problems of the world. Time to enjoy my lovely, regular ketch

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

You might not like it, but this is what peak-pasta looks like:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

mods??!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Issaries posted:

Statistically this is going to start the next world war

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Captain Hygiene posted:

Statistically this is going to start the next world war

I dunno, the problem the Italians had during the last one was that they would rather sing and eat and gently caress than fight a war. I also kind of doubt that with their declining population they can spare enough young people for a war.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ketchup and bologenies sauce is pretty much the same.

Liquid tomato,

its the same thing

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Also, just a reminder that there is a difference between Ketchup, and Tomato Sauce.

Tomato Sauce is made from Tomatoes, all mashed up into the consistency of a sauce. Ketchup is made from vinegar and sugar and food colouring, and has a little tomatoes in it.

You can put whichever you like on your pasta however. I'm not your dad I can't tell you how to live your life.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Meskhenet posted:

Ketchup and bologenies sauce is pretty much the same.

Liquid tomato,

its the same thing

No. Lol no. Lmao the gently caress you're smoking right now must be good poo poo, no the two are not even remotely close beyond having tomatoes in it.

Now, assuming you meant plain tomato sauce instead of Bolognese sauce, the problem with ketchup on pasta is fairly simple to explain.
It's right in the middle of the uncanny valley. It's simply wrong the same way Wall-E and Eve are cute but those soulless almost lifelike robots are deeply disturbing.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Issaries posted:

the only real sin is what looks like cold ham. at least pan fry that poo poo

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

(what does she think mac and cheese is...)

It's not the pasta itself for her, it's the sauce. If you got the same lousy attempt at marinara, or even a good one, twice a week from solid food to 18, you'd look at a plate of spaghetti and start flashing back too.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

This is my favorite comment because I can't even begin to guess what word was supposed to be used:

Lingerie is either an excellent gift or a terrible one. If your partner hasn't told you it's a good gift (possibly in response to being asked - talking to people is a superpower), it's very much not. And even if they like it as a gift, it's not suitable for gift giving occasions. Those are for giving gifts TO someone, not "for the relationship", or something you'd enjoy more than they would.

I was lucky enough to have a girlfriend for a couple of years who loved showing off in the slinky stuff. She got a lot of lingerie as gifts, but not once for a birthday, anniversary or Christmas.

e. If you are in a relationship with someone with breasts, a three-pack of their very favorite bra in their size is an excellent gift. Bras are consumables, and going cheap on them or wearing one out leads to discomfort and actual pain.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jan 26, 2023

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

I resent my employee for being richer and more qualified than me

quote:

I am a first-time manager of a bakery in a small city that has gone through a lot of changes through the pandemic. Our housing and cost-of-living was so cheap that remote workers moved here and now people originally from here can’t buy a house — including me.

Six months ago my bakery hired a new employee, Jane, who is around my age. She’s a great worker, working the shifts no one wants (late nights closing and early morning openings) and because the bakery usually hires students, it’s been great working with Jane because we’re on the same life stage (married, I have a kid, she doesn’t), but I’m finding myself resenting her.

Jane is overqualified to be a cashier at a bakery, I didn’t hire her (the owner did and I wouldn’t have) but she has a masters degree, and her old job was a director in a tech company. She’s given me tips on how to manage people because this is my first time and I can’t help but wonder if she’s going to try to get my job. When I asked her, she said that she doesn’t want to manage people right now. I’ve been gritting my teeth because she’s good at her job and she said to the owner that she’s on sabbatical from her old job for a year or two and I do like her.

But we went to her house over Christmas for a party, and it’s a beautiful new build in an area in town that we could never afford, and her friends (also people who moved from the mainland to our small city) were talking about how much their bigger-city salaries stretch here. They all seem to make more than double than me and my husband combined. And I found out that Jane is on a paid sabbatical from her old job, so she’s getting paid twice for working at my bakery.

Everything has gone up because of inflation, and we went from being able to afford a house in 2019 to now, when we’re barely able to afford rent. There are a lot of people here who are struggling to make rent, and Jane is getting paid twice. I want to fire her but I have no good reason, because she’s good at her job and having someone work the early morning and late nights is hard.

How do I manage her now that I know she’s making more money than I do in a year plus her bakery wage? It’s not fair.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mx. posted:

I resent my employee for being richer and more qualified than me

Attack and dethrone capitalism, or make friends with her and get a hire at her other job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Barudak posted:

Also, just saying it because it amuses me, Hayek was pro universal healthcare and universal basic income.

…Selma?