Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
there's a bunch of hour+ long bits of footage of the betas for anyone wondering what it looks and plays like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Joke Miriam posted:

I’m out of the loop since playing Diablo Immortal for like a week. Is Diablo 4 going to be bussin or will it be cap?

I'm sure it'll sell billions of copies and many of the ARPG / MMO streamers will be playing it for a week then go back to whatever.

As others said...it's pretty boring. I fizzled out around the late 20s on closed beta. My "TLDR but not entirely accurate" review would be "D3 but less bright and skill trees and a horse and no unique identity". It very much felt like someone forked the D3 codebase and iterated on stuff. Like if D3 was a MMO with a decade of patches, this might be where it'd end up, except more boring.

The monetization doesn't look to be near the trash levels of Immortal, but where-as most other ARPGs and MMOs pick 1 or 2 monetization schemes, D4 is throwing literally every single one into the mix (aside from P2W for the most part). It has:
- Battle pass (free and paid tier, there are exp boosts and stuff here, but it's on the free tier)
- Box price ($70 for base game - most poo poo I buy off steam is like $10-25, most MMO expacs are still $40, maybe $70 is the current console norm or something)
- Expansion cost
- MTX
- Pre-order "early start" (the most P2W thing we've heard about yet, I believe)
- There's some "collector" edition that *doesn't even include the game*, lol

So it's not scummy (other than early start), but it's greedy AF. But given how WoW is monetized these days, not surprising (expac, required sub, mtx, wow tokens). Blizz really seems desperate for cash these days. I feel like they're actually losing money due to the over-monetization of everything, but what the gently caress do I know, I'm not a game-business-economist or whatever. I just know I'm not playing D4 at launch because I don't feel it was worth $70 compared to $0 for a PoE season. Just like I haven't bought Dragonflight when I can play LOTRO / GW2 / ESO without a sub (and I have content I've yet to play in those as-is).

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Herstory Begins Now posted:

there's a bunch of hour+ long bits of footage of the betas for anyone wondering what it looks and plays like

Does anyone have links? All the videos in my cursory google search have been DMCA'd.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
blizz hasn't released any new footage in a while have they

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Does anyone have links? All the videos in my cursory google search have been DMCA'd.

https://bunkr.ru/a/GQDUcZFj

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

blizz hasn't released any new footage in a while have they
there was the youtuber media day a few weeks back that didn't show anything that really caught my interest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXInQczdbmU

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

xZAOx posted:

I feel like they're actually losing money due to the over-monetization of everything, but what the gently caress do I know, I'm not a game-business-economist or whatever.

Companies no longer consider the long-term impact of anything. They are run by rotating casts of CEOs, and a CEO is not thinking about a career at the company - they are thinking about pumping up the numbers for the immediate short term, looting all the value they can via bonuses and stocks, and then bouncing with a golden parachute. These companies fail, but it isn't due to ineptitude - on the contrary, these people know exactly what they are doing. The future only matters to the thousands of employees under them, not the ruling class, who will have the highest quality of life ever seen on planet earth, until they die.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I've heard it's going to be semi bussin

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Opened 20 gifts yesterday. Got 2 of the same cosmetic. Whoops.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

kliras posted:

there was the youtuber media day a few weeks back that didn't show anything that really caught my interest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXInQczdbmU

Oh yeah that was the one where they weren't allowed to use their own footage, but in return blizz released some more early game b-roll.

I feel the same way. Doesn't look bad exactly, but also just does not get me excited and particularly not to buy it on launch.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 26, 2023

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I finally got my cosmic wings! not even grinding for them, just solo leveling a new seasonal character, and gearing up normally.

I finally got the 6 piece blood set, I was wondering, if iron rose gives you blood novas, why do most builds include it on their bars? You could run a golem, or something that uses essence or corpses in that slot, since you're never actually casting blood nova, you're getting the free ones from iron rose, which apparently still triggers your Simulacrum bros. Also its wild that necromancer has 2 unique resources in Essence and corpses, and the best build doesn't bother with either of them.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
If it's on the bar, it is applies with your chosen rune.
That's the only reason really, unless there are gap times of non-application then you need to manually do it to max the deepee esses.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
https://us.diablo3.blizzard.com/en-us/blog/23893119

Now that's something new

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

THEY FINALLY MADE A TRAP DH :toot:

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I don't know what I was expecting of the new season but this is better.

Even if the spike trap set doesn't work out, multishot is going to be disgusting.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

this sounds really cool

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Actually kinda excited for the new season now.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Trap DH gently caress yeah

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
That one dev is flexing pretty loving hard for this patch lmao

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Need to donate an Ancient Hellfire amulet, Ancient Puzzle Ring, and a Staff of Herding.

That's going to be a loving grind.

Are primordial ashes only from salvaging primals? Or do they come from something else too? Also it seems like you can trade 2 primals of any type to upgrade a legendary item into a primal version? That seems pretty good.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 26, 2023

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Pretty surprised they are only doing a 1 week ptr. They've been doing 2 weeks for last few.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

bamhand posted:

Are primordial ashes only from salvaging primals? Or do they come from something else too?

Maybe it will drop from doing GRs as well?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

AlbertFlasher posted:

Pretty surprised they are only doing a 1 week ptr. They've been doing 2 weeks for last few.

That was when they had more than one person keeping it going.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
They're really terrified to make Uliana's good, huh

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Really was not expecting a D3 season to have that much of a new feature. Neat! Definitely some insane power creep in that thing.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
I'm excited to have a reason to play beyond the first week!

I like doing pointless things like powerleveling my own characters, so the "items having no level requirement" really stuck out. When I play on console I usually resort to putting Boyarsky's chip in a hellfire amulet. They have no requirement and the gem is still 16k damage unleveled.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
d3 remaining the industry leader in 'no you don't have to run the boring rear end story for the 500th time before you can play a new build'

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

d3 remaining the industry leader in 'no you don't have to run the boring rear end story for the 500th time before you can play a new build'

but the w e i g h t

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Hmm the prospect of being able to craft a full set of literally perfect primal gear might get me back in... maybe. I don't know what the gently caress they can do for me after that without deciding to actually make more real content, which is not a reasonable expectation, even if it was a company that was not on fire all the time

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

sauer kraut posted:

If it's on the bar, it is applies with your chosen rune.
That's the only reason really, unless there are gap times of non-application then you need to manually do it to max the deepee esses.

The thing is, the item already casts Death Nova with the blood nova rune. Maybe its just to cast it faster than the tick from Siphon Life.

My other theory is that Iron Rose didn't used to cast Blood Nova specifically, and its just an old guide that nobody updated.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

bamhand posted:

Need to donate ... a Staff of Herding.

That's going to be a loving grind.

F

Everything else is pretty standard fare for a solo GR100+ season playthrough.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM
If you think staff of herding is going to suck to farm, the 19th cost is "Never Ending Questions", a rare drop from uniques in set dungeons.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Overall looks 95% rad. Definitely more of a reason to play longer. Not sure I'll be able to grind out the staff or do more than the seasonal one set dungeon for those bonuses but the transmog looks neat.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
class and item changes also apply to non-ladder, right?

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Set and skill changes are retroactive, legendary item changes only apply to new drops, all changes except season gimmicks also apply to non-season.

S28 looks good, I usually play longer than just the opening weekend and this looks like a good list of stuff to chase down.

DarkMatt
Nov 3, 2010
Does look like you get to pick and choose which bonuses you get first, so thankfully the really nasty grinds won't feel mandatory because it'll be for the bonuses you didn't want. Smart. Like it.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
From what I understand the grinds are in the order they are numbered. E.g., if you want more than 18 upgrades you're going to have to do the set dungeon one to unlock your 19th upgrade.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Wow I was gonna start with 90S Frenzy anyway, now the madmen just went and doubled the 6 piece damage bonus to 2000%/stack :omarcomin:

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Eyeballing it, trap DH is just gonna use 2pc Shadow and be another Strafe build, which seems lame.

DarkMatt posted:

Does look like you get to pick and choose which bonuses you get first, so thankfully the really nasty grinds won't feel mandatory because it'll be for the bonuses you didn't want. Smart. Like it.
Depends on how mandatory you feel the wings are, I suppose. :v:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I wonder how early you can access it, it would be nice to have 0 level requirements so I can level up faster without having to ask for a powerlevel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkMatt
Nov 3, 2010

bio347 posted:

Depends on how mandatory you feel the wings are, I suppose. :v:

I also dunno how you get the double primal drops and my best guess is "you gotta collect them all!"

A lot of the really good core stuff though seems easy enough to get.