Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

I don't have any neighbors who have gotten DUIs on a golfcart so that might be true.

https://youtu.be/xzMKTZdkaU4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1620904801306558467?s=20&t=y5O73EslHDao9FLEZVaNoA

That’s one way to get Ovi to show up. Maybe.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Dirty Burger posted:

Anything is legal in Florida

Except education

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Its absolutely immoral that it's possible to get a dui on a golf cart

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

The Golden Man posted:

Its absolutely immoral that it's possible to get a dui on a golf cart

You can get a DUI on a bicycle. Which probably means you rode into something and injured yourself.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Pavel Zacha had two goals tonight, 10 points in 10 games since he signed his new contract, and he's one point away from matching his best career with 31 more games to play this year. I don't think he's actually a point-per-game player but he's done well in the Bruins system. Looks like he could be a potential solid #2 center for them. He's buddies with Pastrnak too, which is I think part of the reason they got him, and hopefully the two of them playing well together will be another point for Pastrnak wanting to re-sign.

Boston going into the all-star break with 39 wins and 83 points is wild. I think there are probably 8-10 teams who won't get to that many wins by the time the year is over.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Carolina at 76 points is pretty insane too. I thought for a hot second there that maybe NJ would catch them but the Canes are ridiculously good and they're only 7 points behind Boston now.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Yeah Carolina is getting overshadowed a bit. They're hot lately and having a really good season. I think the path to the conference finals for them is relatively easy compared to the Atlantic too. Wouldn't surprise me to see them in the final, although they seem to underperform in the playoffs for whatever reason.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah Carolina is getting overshadowed a bit. They're hot lately and having a really good season. I think the path to the conference finals for them is relatively easy compared to the Atlantic too. Wouldn't surprise me to see them in the final, although they seem to underperform in the playoffs for whatever reason.

This was talked about in the thread a bit ago and I think I agree with one of the proposed reasons for their not quite good enough playoff stuff: their top-end players.

Yes, they have some excellent players. Aho is terrific, Slavin/Svech/Necas too. But when you compare their top players to the top players on say, Toronto, or Boston, or Tampa Bay, or the Rangers, or the Devils, etc, they are a step below for sure, and in tight games it's often the best players who need to come through. Many teams in the East have 2, 3, 4 game-changing elite players, and/or have one of their players as a top 5-10 player in the league. Carolina just doesn't have that extra oomph of elite star power.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
https://twitter.com/GoldenKnights/status/1620947371164336135?t=EbATbYwGtHWOoyK_DmYmxQ&s=19

thisisfine.jpg

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Back to back season-ending back surgeries, that sucks and doesn’t bode well for his future

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I paid a bunch of money to watch the Sabres play like poo poo and get blown out tonight but it was worth it to hear the two guys behind me talk about how Jordan Peterson is the smartest guy in the world, while the woman sitting between them said nothing the entire game. :discourse:

Tage is hurt, but the Sabres don’t play again for ten days so maybe he’ll be ok by then? Samuelsson also played like poo poo so maybe he wasn’t 100%. Donny G had them practice on Monday, Tuesday and this morning which seems excessive considering he said part of the reason they had success in the second half of January was because they rested instead of practicing.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Again? Brutal. Vegas has been struggling too.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

In Jersey everything’s legal as long as you don’t get caught.

I appreciate your Traveling Wilbury's reference.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Carolina is the best team in the league outside of goalie, but goalie is pretty important! There's basically no stopping the Bruins if Ullmark keeps up his regular season play. If he doesn't, then they're going to have their hands full with Tampa/Toronto/Carolina.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

seeing him on TV is IMO inarguable proof of sexism because there is no amount of glad-handling/politics/expertise/qualification that would allow a similarly ugly woman on the air. I don't like to make fun of guys but good lord.

it's a surreal experience seeing him do a segment and then switch to Gene Principe yelling at Ukrainian refugees. i love watching them
I think Bob Stauffer has some condition that needs treatment with steroids because there's an ungodly amount of bloat there and you normally need a poo poo-ton of cortisone to look like that. Not that he was gorgeous beforehand, mind you...

And Gene Principe's wife is the worst city councillor we have presently. Fun fact!

fermun posted:

I guarantee you half the people here are of the age and nationality where we thought 'that's a Headstones song, and it's Kingston, isn't it?'

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

fermun posted:

Hell yeah thank you.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

T-Bone posted:

Carolina is the best team in the league outside of goalie, but goalie is pretty important! There's basically no stopping the Bruins if Ullmark keeps up his regular season play. If he doesn't, then they're going to have their hands full with Tampa/Toronto/Carolina.

I mean, sort of. Boston is definitely benefiting from Ullmark having an exceptional season, but it's not like he's the only reason they're winning. They have the best offense in the league (192 goals) and are +81, the next best teams are New Jersey and Dallas at +40. When Ullmark or Swayman is having an off night, which does occasionally happen, they can generally outscore the problem.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I mean, sort of. Boston is definitely benefiting from Ullmark having an exceptional season, but it's not like he's the only reason they're winning. They have the best offense in the league (192 goals) and are +81, the next best teams are New Jersey and Dallas at +40. When Ullmark or Swayman is having an off night, which does occasionally happen, they can generally outscore the problem.

Yeah, that's fair, although they're finishing above their weight and while they're good defensively, they're not Carolina good outside of Ullmark. I think they absolutely could still beat a lot of the teams in the East in a playoff series if Ullmark was average. They would just be in more coinflip territory, or perhaps even slight dogs against the three teams I mentioned.

Carolina, particularly, is just an insanely good team this year. I'm sure a lot of it will depend on what happens at the deadline/injuries, but were it not for Ullmark I think we'd be talking about them in same breath as the Bruins this year. And not just statistically, you watch their games and it feels inevitable, they're one of the few teams to legitimately remind me of Stanley Cup Devils teams of the past with how dominant they are on the puck. Boston, interestingly enough, reminds me more of like Colorado from last year, or even a better Devils of this year. That kind of high octane play vs. Carolina's relentless swarm is going to be interesting.

I won't say "no chance" because it's hockey and a 7 game series, but if one of those teams makes the finals (assuming like Tampa/Toronto or maybe the Rangers don't go on some crazy run), the West winner is probably getting demolished.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 2, 2023

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Boston is setting themselves up for a Tampa like collapse when everything regresses as once. Or not. Who knows.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Pavel Zacha had two goals tonight, 10 points in 10 games since he signed his new contract, and he's one point away from matching his best career with 31 more games to play this year. I don't think he's actually a point-per-game player but he's done well in the Bruins system. Looks like he could be a potential solid #2 center for them. He's buddies with Pastrnak too, which is I think part of the reason they got him, and hopefully the two of them playing well together will be another point for Pastrnak wanting to re-sign.

Boston going into the all-star break with 39 wins and 83 points is wild. I think there are probably 8-10 teams who won't get to that many wins by the time the year is over.

There is just zero chance that Zacha would've been this good if he stayed with the Devils. It sucks that Haula is pretty bad but I wasn't expected them to get anything of value for Zacha anyway so I can't get too upset about this.

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Boston is setting themselves up for a Tampa like collapse when everything regresses as once. Or not. Who knows.

Boston has "run away presidents trophy winner that loses in 5 in the second round" vibes.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Besides being a team based in Raleigh, no one's paying attention to the Hurricanes for the good reason that there's no reason to assume they'll do anything more than bomb out of the second round again until they, y'know, don't.

Fuckin' great team to watch night-to-night though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Carolina’s style is the kind that dies in the playoffs when murder becomes legal.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Ginette Reno posted:

Again? Brutal. Vegas has been struggling too.

They've been struggling because he's out. Can't really overstate how important he is to them.

Honestly it almost feels like they should be doing a teardown even with the point cushion they have. It would suck to trade the misfits, but McNabb and Martinez might have value as rentals, and they could rent out the Ltir space from Stone

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Carolina’s style is the kind that dies in the playoffs when murder becomes legal.

Yeah. Having only one superstar is a factor, and their high tempo, fast cycle, blind pass-centric style not working as well in the playoffs against good teams who zero in solely on preparing for them is a factor, and that is also a factor. It's the combination of those three things. There's no reason to think anything will change this year, though the rest of the Metro is weaker so they may reach the conference final before losing to Boston or Tampa.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Eric the Mauve posted:

Besides being a team based in Raleigh, no one's paying attention to the Hurricanes for the good reason that there's no reason to assume they'll do anything more than bomb out of the second round again until they, y'know, don't.

Fuckin' great team to watch night-to-night though.

They're an awful team to watch night-to-night, there's absolutely no drama to their games and they're a puck holding/taking machine. Also don't buy the comparison to years past, they were very good before, they're on another level this year. They've got a +40 expected GD and we're 50 games in (best in the league was +46 last year over a full season).

Aphrodite posted:

In theory it should work even better! Depends if they can channel that evil Kings energy like Tampa did.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah. Having only one superstar is a factor, and their high tempo, fast cycle, blind pass-centric style not working as well in the playoffs against good teams who zero in solely on preparing for them is a factor, and that is also a factor. It's the combination of those three things. There's no reason to think anything will change this year, though the rest of the Metro is weaker so they may reach the conference final before losing to Boston or Tampa.

Tampa choked for years and years before they won two Cups, the same with Pittsburgh before their 2nd run. The Bruins have been out in the first/second round 5 times in the last 6 years. Using a few game 7 game series as empirical evidence that their style doesn't work is silly. The playoffs are hard, but this is the best team they've ever had by a long shot.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 2, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Tampa's a valid example but the Penguins would never ever have gotten near the Cup again if they'd kept running with Bylsma. I think there are good reasons to think Rod the Bod's poo poo doesn't work in the playoffs but would be happy to be proven wrong.

Also I don't think the general perception of the Hurricanes is that they choke in the playoffs, it's more that because of their lack of star power they're perceived as achieving pretty much as expected, i.e. second round exits.

e: OTOH one well timed random goalie hot streak could easily carry them to the Cup

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 2, 2023

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Colorado lost in the second/first round for four seasons before last year. Their style doesn't work!

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Carolina reminds me more of 2019 tampa than Boston does, record excluded.

Carolinas “shoot it from anywhere” and “fancy pass lads” style isn’t as effective in the playoffs, as others have mentioned. Also they cannot rely on a goaltender stealing them a game or two.

But Boston losing first round would be great. Frankly I’m excited to watch both lose.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
LA won two Cups playing Carolina's style. The most notable part of that style being "has the puck at all loving times."

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I am just enjoying Boston's regular season. Even as good as they are, I don't really expect them to win the Cup. It's more of a "it'd be nice if Bergeron got another one before he retired" kind of thing for me.

Carolina reminds me more of Washington mid-2010s. Great regular season team, handled relatively easily in the playoffs by the other top teams in the East. They don't really have an Ovechkin analogue, but their overall roster is probably better than those Washington teams.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

T-Bone posted:

LA won two Cups playing Carolina's style. The most notable part of that style being "has the puck at all loving times."

LA is a great analogy here, that team was just utter and total puck dominance. Relentless grinding boring suffocating dominant hockey in which teams really just couldn't get the puck from them more than 40 percent of the time.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The star power argument is incredibly simplistic too. It's on par using like +/- to evaluate players. There are just as many teams that rely on stars don't do poo poo in the playoffs every year. Look at Toronto, Edmonton, Florida, Washington forfuckingever, San Jose in the Thornton era, Vancouver in the Sedins era, Ottawa when they had their big 3, etc.

Stars are good players who generally play on good teams, and hence good teams have stars. So yeah no poo poo, teams with stars are going to win the Cup. But also if you get a bunch of really good players together, you can win a Cup too. See: Carolina 06, New Jersey 03, St. Louis 19, LA in both runs. This kind of argument is also ignoring that a lot of those teams with stars choked for years until they had the proper depth to support a deep run. Being good at hockey is the only thing that matters when it comes to winning at hockey.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 2, 2023

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

mcmagic posted:

There is just zero chance that Zacha would've been this good if he stayed with the Devils. It sucks that Haula is pretty bad but I wasn't expected them to get anything of value for Zacha anyway so I can't get too upset about this.

I always thought he was an interesting player for New Jersey. It was apparent that he had some skill but he couldn't really put it together, and I think he was probably drafted too high and that hurt expectations for him. Either way, he's also gotten 31 of his 35 points at even strength this year, which is tied for 15th most in the NHL with guys like Panarin and Dahlin. I think he could pop off even more if he actually got powerplay time, but with Krejci and Bergeron at center, plus Pastrnak, Marchand, DeBrusk, Hall, etc., on the wings, he doesn't really get the opportunity.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/buffalosabres/status/1621154386239164416?s=46&t=ohW7P-t1p25dh2p7x1xAhA

RIP Tage, please get better before the 11th

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

T-Bone posted:

LA had guys like Dustin Brown murderizing opponents. Who are Carolina's scumbag piece of shits? Boston has like 4.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Carolina would greatly benefit from a guy willing to sit a few games to end Ullmark's season, I'll agree to that. Just get Domi in there at the deadline.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

It’s 100% Boston’s cup to lose. It’s stinks!

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I would still bet on someone else. Boston is the best team in the league but the Atlantic has probably 3 of the top 5 teams in the NHL, and two of them are guaranteed to be eliminated by the end of the second round. Even if Boston runs away with the President's Trophy, it wouldn't shock me if they lost to Tampa in the second or something. Florida is also only a year removed from being a juggernaut and could potentially be the #8 seed and end up on that side of the bracket too, although admittedly they look a lot less scary than they did a year ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Stanley Cup is consistently won by whatever team is hottest over the final 20 games. Boston has been incredible so far, but that means almost nothing if they coast out the remainder of the year.