Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

zoux posted:

Hey, idk why everyone is so mad about this, if you guys are right then Netflix - an evil multibillion dollar company - will face severe economic backlash that they absolutely cannot afford right now. It might even sink the platform!

And this is just maddeningly disingenuous.

Like, Netflix screwing even one (1) end user over while providing no reciprocal benefit, just to make number potentially go up, sucks. Why defend that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

BTW, the password location guidelines that were accidentally posted were only relevant for the handful of South American countries that are currently trialing a password sharing fee.

I'm sure though that whenever the real guidelines for the US come out that everyone will be patting themselves on the back about how their outrage changed Netflix's mind.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

zoux posted:

If everyone is just going to effortlessly switch back to piracy, why all the teeth gnashing and rending of garments. YOU WILL REGERT THIS BECAUSE I WILL PIRATE poo poo, well get after it homie. Cancel your sub and do it.

If they didn't sell a single sub to a single college student who's using their parents netflix account, it wouldn't change their financials one whit.

I took the frigate out of drydock the literal second the first station specific streaming service was announced. And it honestly has nothing to do with the money, the cost of systems and vpn amounts to about a decade of subscription fees (and I still pay for disney, apple, and paramount+), I just can't stand swapping between 30 apps trying to figure out which one has the show I want to watch, and Plex solves that problem.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arist posted:

And this is just maddeningly disingenuous.

Like, Netflix screwing even one (1) end user over while providing no reciprocal benefit, just to make number potentially go up, sucks. Why defend that?

Because I don't think that "companies should provide services out of the goodness of their hearts" is realistic. Every corporation in America wants number to go up and they have and will always make that decision. I don't think it's going to ruin Netflix like everyone is arguing it will, and I don't believe in an inalienable right to access all streaming content at a low, low price. And I think a lot of people who are trying to make this into a major issue are just mad that they are going to have to get a sub and can't just use their ex-gf from 5 years ago's password anymore.

bull3964 posted:

BTW, the password location guidelines that were accidentally posted were only relevant for the handful of South American countries that are currently trialing a password sharing fee.

I'm sure though that whenever the real guidelines for the US come out that everyone will be patting themselves on the back about how their outrage changed Netflix's mind.

lol

Azhais posted:

I took the frigate out of drydock the literal second the first station specific streaming service was announced. And it honestly has nothing to do with the money, the cost of systems and vpn amounts to about a decade of subscription fees (and I still pay for disney, apple, and paramount+), I just can't stand swapping between 30 apps trying to figure out which one has the show I want to watch, and Plex solves that problem.

Yeah, my feeling is that the bulk of the potential piracy fleet set sail long ago, because why wouldn't you? If you have the wherewithal and equipment to do it, why are you subbing to Netflix -or anything - in 2023.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 2, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Josh Lyman posted:

I wonder what’s going to happen to cable internet users with dynamic IPs

I'm pretty sure dynamic IPs are the norm in the US. Do you really think Netflix hasn't considered this?

Cojawfee posted:

Are the people complaining about legitimate use that will be blocked whiners? People in the military who deploy for longer than a month who lose access to their Netflix. Or people who end up on the road for longer than a month.

I could understand if it actually affected these people. So far it has not but people are already big mad about it.

Cojawfee posted:

Or children who have netflix on an ipad who go visit another parent for a summer who doesn't have netflix themselves.

I don't understand this argument because that other parent should be footing the bill for something for their household.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

zoux posted:

Because I don't think that "companies should provide services out of the goodness of their hearts" is realistic. Every corporation in America wants number to go up and they have and will always make that decision. I don't think it's going to ruin Netflix like everyone is arguing it will, and I don't believe in an inalienable right to access all streaming content at a low, low price.

gently caress off, dude. Every single thing you've posted here is a ridiculous strawman.

No one is saying they have to make poo poo for free! People are mad because they're making their product worse on purpose! What the gently caress are you talking about!?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arist posted:

gently caress off, dude. Every single thing you've posted here is a ridiculous strawman.

No one is saying they have to make poo poo for free! People are mad because they're making their product worse on purpose! What the gently caress are you talking about!?

They aren't making it worse for me, a person who pays for his own netflix account and doesn't share it with anyone. Why should I give a gently caress? The way this is negatively impacting me is having to listen to a whole bunch of people whine about hypothetical scenarios in which *someone* might not be able to access a Netflix account because of reasons.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

zoux posted:

They aren't making it worse for me, a person who pays for his own netflix account and doesn't share it with anyone. Why should I give a gently caress.

gently caress you, got mine. Nice.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh, okay, you're just a huge piece of poo poo with no empathy for other people, gotcha.

Like, it doesn't actually affect me, either, but jesus christ.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GreenNight posted:

gently caress you, got mine. Nice.

It's a netflix sub it's not a loving private school education.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

zoux posted:

The way this is negatively impacting me is having to listen to a whole bunch of people whine about hypothetical scenarios in which *someone* might not be able to access a Netflix account because of reasons.

Instead you choose to whine about those entitled poors trying to get one over on the noble Netflix corporation. Much better.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

zoux posted:

Yeah it's a bunch of people who mooch off of other accounts mad that they're going to have to start paying and trying to attach harm by coming up with wild corner-case scenarios. I would advise all the people with legitimate concerns about this practice to show their outrage by cancelling their accounts that they already don't have. Or the people who might actually be affected by this like, idk, offshore drillers and Ted Kaczynski, could cancel their accounts as well. They won't.

https://twitter.com/quintabrunson/status/1620889136101212161

Yeah I don't envy the next new SW series that launches on D+

I think the next two live action ones are Ashoka and Skeleton Crew. The former will be pure Filoni, the latter is explicitly YA with Jude Law as the adult. Really curious how those will be received.

In terms of animation the next volume of Visions was announced, and Aardman is doing one of the shorts, which I can’t wait for.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I love this logic, that we can't ever criticize any company for anything because they're just trying to make money

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

zoux posted:

They aren't making it worse for me, a person who pays for his own netflix account and doesn't share it with anyone. Why should I give a gently caress? The way this is negatively impacting me is having to listen to a whole bunch of people whine about hypothetical scenarios in which *someone* might not be able to access a Netflix account because of reasons.

Posting in dnd should lock you out of the rest of the forum for a day or something. Curtail that sociopath swagger imo.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

zoux posted:

I'm anti-caping whining twitter users who think that everything should be free.

How about the people whining about Netflix’s predatory licensing and royalty practice?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ruddiger posted:

How about the people whining about Netflix’s predatory licensing and royalty practice?

That's fair game but I'm not seeing complaining about that right now. Possibly instructive though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
As long as the mega corporation did something that earned them a single dollar, they can do no wrong and any inconvenience you have means you are a whiny twitter user.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Well, glad the self-appointed arbiter of Netflix discourse is here to tell us which lovely corporate practices are Actually Good and which are fine to complain about because the complaining doesn't personally annoy him

It's a hard job but someone's gotta do it

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Arist posted:

People are mad because they're making their product worse on purpose!

Well, I mean they aren't yet. They may, but currently aren't.

There were some accidental posted guidelines for a specific region that was already trialing something relating to password sharing that may or may not end up in the US. Then all the news blogs ran with it and there was a collective freak out about all the various edge cases.

Bottom line is, there isn't anything official yet from either a guideline or timeline perspective. When that does come down then we can probably have an informed discussion about it, but until then it's speculation.

What I do find curious is the particular level of ire that Netflix seems to invoke on this. Paramount and Warner Bros Discovery are both playing games with content availability. Peacock just nixed their free tier. Disney+, HBO, and Hulu just raised their prices. AMC+ just un-renewed a bunch of shows. There are no ideal actors here and everything sucks in some sort of way. Everything going on right now is unsustainable so it's all going to crash eventually anyways but I do think Netflix is going to end coming out more intact than others (if for no other reason than they don't have a risk adverse parent over-correcting on course.) Until then, all we can do is vote with our dollars.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

These are just regular shoes I'm slobbering on, not boots.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://twitter.com/gingerthejester/status/1620838779295780875?s=20

Oh I'm sure this will be amazing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
stop bootlicking zoux

Before everyone gets locked out of their Netflix accounts make sure to watch CUNK ON EARTH which is funny as hell

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
cunk's a funny character and it's a good performance but she desperately needs better writing. all the jokes are so obvious.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I thought this was the best Cunk thing to date, I was doubled over laughing constantly

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

I'm always rooting for good television but after what CBS did with The Sit, I have no hope for what they churn out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hulu has renewed Hit Monkey which, I could have sworn it was cancelled. It's also very weird they would wait so long to renew it since it came out over a year ago.

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/hit-monkey-renewed-season-2-hulu-1235509885/

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.vice.com/en/article/g5va73/squid-game-reality-show-participants-rigged
Whoops, turns out that Netflix's Squid Game reality competition show is facing accusations of being fixed. Linked is an interview with a participant who revealed that there were basically two sets of competitors, ones who applied and ones who were cast and it became pretty clear that the applied ones were just being treated as extras.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

zoux posted:

It's anti consumer and bad business, which you not seeing is weird. So is them not letting you screenshot shows to spread memes, that's just bad marketing.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
The thing with Netflix is it's not like Exxon who are just padding absolutely ridiculous profit. They are operating in debt based on growth. That growth is starting to plateau so they are going to have to stop losing cash. They have to or they'll go under.

I'm not a huge fan of the policy, I share with my mom. But I absolutely don't view it as some malicious tactic. They have two options... Start making money or go away.

They're going to start reducing content - the amount they spend per household is way WAY over what the user actually spends. Then adding ads (obvi) and also try a bunch of methods for trying to boost the number of paying subscribers to try to, eventually, make a steady profit.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/xenocryptsite/status/1621291619633750019?s=46&t=ZfJwI-L9Kmia6ovMwLTQcA

Hang on is James Cameron making the other avatar

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

BonoMan posted:

The thing with Netflix is it's not like Exxon who are just padding absolutely ridiculous profit. They are operating in debt based on growth. That growth is starting to plateau so they are going to have to stop losing cash. They have to or they'll go under.

I'm not a huge fan of the policy, I share with my mom. But I absolutely don't view it as some malicious tactic. They have two options... Start making money or go away.

They're going to start reducing content - the amount they spend per household is way WAY over what the user actually spends. Then adding ads (obvi) and also try a bunch of methods for trying to boost the number of paying subscribers to try to, eventually, make a steady profit.

Yea - I think this has been Netflix’s Achilles heel is they have no other revenue streams like Apple or Disney who can do this at a loss.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Weird that CBS would so heavily advertise that they're going to air the movie a month from now, to the point that they hired a couple of actors to recreate a still from the film for the poster, but oh well, it's a good film, I should watch it again!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Hang on is James Cameron making the other avatar

He's making another 3

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I honestly kind of side with zoux on the Netflix debate. Like, it sucks, cause I share with my folks who probably wouldn't otherwise have the service, but we're sharing an account, i don't quite understand the massive outrage and sense of entitlement.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just subscribe for one month and binge 50 hours of shows like a normal person

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Looten Plunder posted:

I honestly kind of side with zoux on the Netflix debate. Like, it sucks, cause I share with my folks who probably wouldn't otherwise have the service, but we're sharing an account, i don't quite understand the massive outrage and sense of entitlement.

Their marketing people have literally used the concept of password sharing in advertisements for the service, it’s not much of a mystery why people are angry about the streaming giant who already raises prices every single year while shrinking their catalog suddenly enforcing a new policy (that exists solely to force new subs at the now-increased rates) that will also gently caress over a whole bunch of people who aren’t even sharing their account just because they may not be able to login from their “home network” every 31 days.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Pretty normal for friends/family/coworkers to create a web of streaming service coverage. It's obviously a bad deal to subscribe to every streaming service, each one only has a fraction of things you want to watch and you're always being charged whether you stream 24/7 or not at all.

I pay for Hulu and HBO by paying for Paramount+ and Peacock. Netflix was supposed to be all those things for a lower price than I pay now, so it's already been a horrible leap backwards albeit not their fault companies want their own lovely versions. Still, we're supposed to have all the streaming services for the one streaming service price and this splintering has been a fantastically bad deal. But sure, consumers calling consumers entitled is always a good and worthwhile endeavor.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Looten Plunder posted:

It wouldn't even bother me if we could just go up a tier on Netflix and pay, say, an extra $5 or $10 or whatever dollars for each additional location. I would do that, just so I could keep my profile. I want to keep my 10+ year history of shows and ratings that I've watched. I want to keep the records of how far into a show I've watched, like how many seasons & episodes, so I can go back to it when I feel like it. I want to keep the shows I've added to "watch later", and the curated profile of my tastes that it has, that it uses to suggest new poo poo for me. It's not even that great of an algorithm but it's 100x better than the default, which just suggests lovely reality shows and other things I don't wanna see.

Can I export my profile into a new account? If I can do that, I probably will. I sail the open seas for pretty much everything, but Netflix is a useful service just to help keep track of what shows I'm watching, shows I've forgotten about, and which ones I'm interested in and want to check out.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
After Poker Face peacock autoplayed another crime show, and I'm halfway through the first episode and I'm pretty sure this one's gimmick is the hotshot detective practices judaism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I know the Netflix thing personally bothers me because I share it with my parents; now, this would be a whole, "Well, why don't you or them pay for it for your own households?" but we do, sort of. We each pay a third of a portion of the cell phone fees on T-Mobile that gives Netflix to its customers. T-Mobile isn't going to give an account separately to each person under the family plan, so obviously, as I'm the younger, more tech-savvy individual of the group, it falls to me to fall on the blade so to speak, and buy an account on my own.

It sucks I'm going to miss out on the convenience of pressing the Netflix button on my Roku, but gently caress paying for something I should be getting under my already paid-for cell phone service.