Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FrickenMoron posted:

Who's everyone dedicated axe user on maddening? I'm having a hard time seeing anyone fill that role really.

I've been watching Zoran's streams at work and he likes Diamant for the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

cheetah7071 posted:

like the chapter 21-22 stuff feels like the perfect culmination of what the story is trying to be; it could not have gone any other way without betraying itself. I'm legitimately confused how you could like the story up to that point then think that that was a step too far.
As others have said, it's not an issue of what actually happens, it's the pacing. I can buy Alear dying and getting revived as a Corrupted, and I can buy Alear dying and being revived by the Emblems, but when both of those things happen within 30 minutes of each other, it just feels dumb. You get an "oh no, I am dying, but it's all right because I know you'll all fight on" speech after chapter 21, and you get an "oh no, I am dying, but it's all right because I know you'll all fight on" speech after chapter 22. At least space the drat things out a bit if you want the second one to have any impact.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

Who's everyone dedicated axe user on maddening? I'm having a hard time seeing anyone fill that role really.

honestly axe fighter's class growths are pretty good, you could make jean one

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

FrickenMoron posted:

panette is extremely good

my build is ike (mostly for wrath, but she has enough hp to survive big enemy phases with him) and a lyn-engraved killer axe. She routinely hits 80%+ crit rates after taking even a single hit, and reliably OHKOs anything other than generals with a crit--something that she wouldn't do with the -4 str from switching to warrior.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I have a hard time placing exactly what bothered me early on with cutscenes because I’m not a stranger to budget conscious considerations like relying heavily on precanned animations or falling back to a lot of characters standing around and just talking. But I did find myself fairly bored early on, and it was slowing down how much I’d play just cause it felt like the cutscene was dragging on but I wasn’t at the point it just skipping. But it definitely wasn’t helping when it felt like they were just kind of going with the basic emoting. Something like that can work a bit better if you just do presentation as a VN text box kind of thing with portraits.
But it’s definitely improved, nothing incredible but as the party gets moving it doesn’t feel so much like idle lollygagging and mishandled attempts at pathos. But there’s also a little more variety too, even small things like the boss of the Firense chapter having his own animation really helps sell him as a kind of lowly comic sleazeball henchman and such. I also think they do a better job at stuff like selling what kind of guy the Brodian King is in a short time which helps a lot, compared to the firense crew who are kind of just boring in their story appearances.

Having a blast with the game though

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

cheetah7071 posted:

panette is extremely good

my build is ike (mostly for wrath, but she has enough hp to survive big enemy phases with him) and a lyn-engraved killer axe. She routinely hits 80%+ crit rates after taking even a single hit, and reliably OHKOs anything other than generals with a crit--something that she wouldn't do with the -4 str from switching to warrior.

Panette was my axe user on hard and even then she had a hard time staying alive in some cases. I can't see this go well in Maddening especially with zerkers terrible stat caps. I'm on ch12 now and raising Jean would be a real challenge. Dumbass me also forgot to give Alcryst Axe prof so no Warrior for a while.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

FrickenMoron posted:

Panette was my axe user on hard and even then she had a hard time staying alive in some cases. I can't see this go well in Maddening especially with zerkers terrible stat caps. I'm on ch12 now and raising Jean would be a real challenge. Dumbass me also forgot to give Alcryst Axe prof so no Warrior for a while.

ike is extremely, extremely good for surviving enemy phases, and she already wants ike for wrath

I'm up through chapter 20 on maddening and she's my best unit, and it's working very well

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Panette can put together a really strong build pretty cheaply. Inherit Vantage+ from Leif, staple Ike to her, forge her a Killer Axe, and proceed to solo armies on enemy phase.

If you really want to go over the top and somehow have the SP to spare, add in Pair Up from Corrin so she's immune to chain attacks.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think pair up is more important than vantage, but if you have the SP for it, combining both is good too

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
don't think the writing is bad at all in Engage, I think some people are just too ashamed to be seen playing and enjoying a heavily 'anime'-style game

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I don’t think it’s that honestly

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Having just completed chapter 22...

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

As others have said, it's not an issue of what actually happens, it's the pacing. I can buy Alear dying and getting revived as a Corrupted, and I can buy Alear dying and being revived by the Emblems, but when both of those things happen within 30 minutes of each other, it just feels dumb. You get an "oh no, I am dying, but it's all right because I know you'll all fight on" speech after chapter 21, and you get an "oh no, I am dying, but it's all right because I know you'll all fight on" speech after chapter 22. At least space the drat things out a bit if you want the second one to have any impact.

I agree with this.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

GateOfD posted:

don't think the writing is bad at all in Engage, I think some people are just too ashamed to be seen playing and enjoying a heavily 'anime'-style game

RME posted:

I don’t think it’s that honestly

Yeah it's just that it's too late to enjoy something on its own merits, you have to be tearing down something else in comparison to it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't have to tear anything down. legitimately had a big goofy smile on my face during all the melodrama. Every new layer piled on fit perfectly with the tone of the game, and every one had me going "dang that's cool"

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I for one enjoy the early chapter 20s running Alear through the extra character modifier wringer. What do we get up to, Dragon Satan Jesus Zombie Ghost? I think we can probably fit another one or two on there.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't have to tear anything down. legitimately had a big goofy smile on my face during all the melodrama. Every new layer piled on fit perfectly with the tone of the game, and every one had me going "dang that's cool"

I mean this is also now occurring at the same time as that aggressively unpleasant HBO Velma show's been released and I'm getting flooded with stupid Youtube videos about that and how great Be Cool, Scooby-Doo! was in comparison (I am very much not a fan of that art style) after never seeing a single clip of anything positive to say about it, so I'm mainly just venting really.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah it's just that it's too late to enjoy something on its own merits, you have to be tearing down something else in comparison to it.

I’m not really sure it’s this one either, even if it’s a bit endemic in algo boosted spaces

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

cheetah7071 posted:

:same:, honestly

I keep waiting for the scene that’s a bridge too far, but I’m nearly finished, and the story/characters has really grown on me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ive made some comparisons where i thought 3h was worse than this but thats mostly because, other people also bring up 3h a lot in relation to this

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Fire Emblem having formulaic and shallow writing is the norm for the series, and you are allowed to think whatever you want about it, but it's best to realize that 3H was the aberration

Also I have played Conquest like ten times so I have no complaints about Engage's writing

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

w/r/t 3h it just feels like people are remembering a different game than the one I just finished playing right before Engage.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Can you chain guard Lyn clones?

Edit
Does the hero passive work with the clones?

Could you set up a bunch of clones, have someone chain guarding them, and then do a bunch of hero damage for several turns without interruption?

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 2, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
whew, chapter 17 was a doozy.

Lyn clones saved my rear end so hard, had no rewinds left

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1_lsOLB68g

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

cheetah7071 posted:

I have laughed out loud several times. Just got to the first desert level and the reactions of the characters finding out Alear was the Divine Dragon were so extra I couldn’t help but laugh. It really is a Saturday morning cartoon.

Sleng Teng posted:

w/r/t 3h it just feels like people are remembering a different game than the one I just finished playing right before Engage.

I played Three Houses a while ago (although I did Ashen Wolves last summer so it’s fairly fresh) but yeah the stories I did weren’t great. Edelgard’s route was clearly unfinished and Claude’s made no sense. I didn’t want to do Church because gently caress the church and I didn’t want to do Dimitri’s route because he sucks.

With Three Hopes, they had an opportunity to fix the mistakes they made with Three Houses’ story and they did some improvements but the story still felt unfinished. Azure Gleam loving sucked and confirmed for me how much Dimitri is a spineless centrist clownshoe. The writing was good overall. Someone was saying earlier that it would be great to get a game with Engage’s combat/map design and Three Houses/Hopes writing it would be really great.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I am on chapter 6, Alear is level 7, and has failed to gain strength in every level she has had.

Someone free me from this cursed existence. :negative:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Hellioning posted:

Lol at the scenes before chapter 21. I was defending this game's story before this but that was bad.

trying to make the girl that was cackling about barbecuing innocent civilians an hour ago sympathetic is so dumb that it flips around into hilarity

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I did find it incredibly weird how obviously a bunch of Claude's maps were clearly meant for Edelgard, and Edelgard's path was just cut short.

Even then, I firmly believe 3H had writing several cuts above typical FE (a low bar to clear), but also it's not an accident that the most well written path was the one that most adhered to the typical FE formula

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The church route is Verdant Wind with a different final boss and one less map, which kind of just makes Verdant Wind worse.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/NintendoUK/status/1621138879909593089

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Hiya, and I cannot stress this enough, papaya.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
are there no S-rank supports in this game?
I can't marry my friends off?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GateOfD posted:

are there no S-rank supports in this game?
I can't marry my friends off?
Alear has them but nobody else does. Alears also the only one with paired endings. Its a weird downgrade from everything after fe6

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

S ranks are bad but they are worse when only 1 person has them

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
there's so much potential too, with the different nations, they could have really done a lot with royal pairings of different nations with former warring states, but instead I been seeing a lot of friendzone-y A-supports

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I greatly respect paired endings that don't end in romance but alas Engage doesn't even have that.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

SyntheticPolygon posted:

S ranks are bad but they are worse when only 1 person has them

I do not dislike S ranks but I too believe that only the player having them is the worst possible option, yes.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Hellioning posted:

Hiya, and I cannot stress this enough, papaya.

Zappy!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im not a fan of s ranks but paired endings are good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
s ranks are mostly useful for people who want to control what their paired endings are tbh. i know you've mentioned before that you liked that you got to see ignatz in some unexpected paired endings because 3h didn't let you pick, but i think in games with substantial c/b/a support systems that it's a good idea to let players have some control over what their endings are so that they can also see all the a supports for the characters they like as well