Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Micaiah's Thani would have also given Ivy a real purpose, because it would easily let her Yeetus Deletus the millions upon millions of armors that the game loves vomiting at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

posadas
Jan 28, 2021
What's the benefit of reclassing a mage into a weapon-using class and using a magic weapon? It feels like the might/weight ratio of the magic weapons are equal or worse than tomes, and the wind tomes also have effectiveness against fliers. I guess it might give you additional survivability and the ability to chain if you reclass to a backup class, but you're also trading off MAG for that, and they would still be pretty squishy

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I tried using Hortensia but she was made of used kleenex so I stuck with Ivy.

posadas posted:

What's the benefit of reclassing a mage into a weapon-using class and using a magic weapon? It feels like the might/weight ratio of the magic weapons are equal or worse than tomes, and the wind tomes also have effectiveness against fliers. I guess it might give you additional survivability and the ability to chain if you reclass to a backup class, but you're also trading off MAG for that, and they would still be pretty squishy

Some characters have good enough magic growth (such as Warrior Anna) that magical weapons will do considerably more damage than physical weapons since most enemies have far more defense than resistance. And weapon classes have higher defenses than caster classes and the ability to switch back to weapons if they have to take out a mage or something.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 4, 2023

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

posadas posted:

The main thing I think is that magic weapons can break, while tomes can't.

That said I wouldn't switch a Mage to a fighter-type class for it. Mage Knight is great for magic weapon use, though, because it also keeps tome access, so the magic weapon just becomes another tool in the toolbox.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

posadas posted:

Magic weapons can participate in the weapon triangle, basically. It's also your only option if you want a flying magic attacker besides Ivy or Hortensia.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Kanos posted:

After playing Engage Maddening, I honestly have really started to like fixed growths. It's not the same experience as normal FE growths, but it gives every character a really unique texture and feel and makes it feel like you can evaluate how good a character is going to be and what they excel at objectively. It also means that while you do miss out on having someone luck into being a god unit, you never have the issue of a character you really wanted to use just whiffing a million levels in a row and becoming completely useless.

I kind of like the "normal/hard use normal growths, maddening uses fixed growths" paradigm.

If you mean the super warrior reinforcements, yeah those are a clock meant to force you forward. You can absolutely beat them if you group up and dump engages into them, but they're meant to be insanely powerful at that point.

For those units, I parked Yunaka and Zelkov next to each other on pillars, so they blocked the entrance to the room, and used 3 range mages/bows behind them. 0% chance to be hit and decent damage with their crit.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

posadas posted:

You basically nailed it: backup is a better class type than mystic, and may be worth using worse weapons in some specific situations. Other than that, magic weapons exist to be used by mostly-physical units who happen to have good magic. The main exception to this is Celine, who has swords naturally, and the levin sword has much better mt than earlygame tomes

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Another benefit of magic weapons is that they give non-mage units with decent Magic a way to target Res in case they need to fight an armored unit

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Kanos posted:

Micaiah's Thani would have also given Ivy a real purpose, because it would easily let her Yeetus Deletus the millions upon millions of armors that the game loves vomiting at you.

Yeah I just didn't see it.

I think the prolonged absence just meant that I'd forgotten about most of her utility by the time she came back.

posadas posted:

Radiant Bow has 19 MT/12 Wt and is proficiency C. Excalibur, the A tier Wind tome has 10 MT/9Wt.

Radiant bow is cheaper to upgrade and available earlier.

That's pretty much it.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I don’t see the benefit of specifically reclassing to use the magic bow though, because that doesn’t give you the ability to break and you only get Backup if you go with Warrior. Tomes let you counter at one space if you gently caress up your positioning and Wind is effective against flyers.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The actual strat is to use both Ivy and Hortensia

RME
Feb 20, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

Tiki’s good but I don’t think she seems overtuned or anything? Having a big blob of stats on a unit and being able to give another unit insurance is nice, but it doesn’t feel like it’s expanding my options like doing a massive AOE attack or Jugdral Dance or full screen attack or mass-warping me and fellas like the base game emblems offer.

Her selling point is the extra growths anyways, which does exist to to steroid a unit and is paywalled

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

hopeandjoy posted:

I don’t see the benefit of specifically reclassing to use the magic bow though, because that doesn’t give you the ability to break and you only get Backup if you go with Warrior. Tomes let you counter at one space if you gently caress up your positioning and Wind is effective against flyers.

It's more that, if you want a thing that shoots down high tier fliers in this game, you don't want an archer, you want a mage with a bow because of how much stronger Radiant bow is than every other bow in the game.

I wouldn't want to reclass out all my mages because staff access is too important. But give me the game again and I dump Alcryst, convert Pandreo or something to a sniper and put Lucina on him instead.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Terper posted:

The actual strat is to use both Ivy and Hortensia

This

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I do not know why the skill inheritance and arena maps are separate. I do not know why you have to click the training sigil after every single fight. I do not know why you have to Emblems multiple times because you can only level up 5 levels at once. And I don't know why you have to fight emblems at all. But all of these are Bad Decisions.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Yea ivy is my nuker, and Hori is my healbot

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i'm not convinced that anything alear can do is better than Rally Spectrum Instruct every turn that you aren't Rally Spectrum Goddess Dancing

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Mysticblade posted:

Yeah, Chloe being up there on any engage tier list is more a function of there not being any obvious god unit ruling the game. Sigurd!Louis has the early game but he's like a B or C once he falls off

There abso-totely is a god unit.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I had very very good growths on Alear so using him as just a rallybot would be a pretty big downgrade for my team, but on a future playthrough with a less busted Alear I could see that being a really powerful role.

Actually now that I think about it (late-game spoilers) Veyle can do it, too. I've been using Byleth with Citrinne for Thyrsus nuking but putting him on Veyle instead might be a good play

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
The spectrum breath on Corrin is just a lot more useful if you're going that route imo.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
That awkward moment when you end a battle before sucking all the xp dry because you forgot that it was just defeat the boss, not defeat all opponents. -_-

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I made Lapis into a Sword General on Hard and she's been absolutely ridiculous.

Run her into any group of people, pop the Pure Water if there's any casters, watch them all eat Killing Edge. In addition to taking almost no physical damage at all she's fast enough to double a lot of enemies, she's dodgy enough that most casters I'm facing now only have a ~64% hit rate against her, and her high crit rate means that she usually kills anybody she can counterattack that's not another armor unit. Only weakness is that she can't really counterattack effectively at range.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
When do second seals and master seals become available for purchase? I've made it to Brodia, and my main team are all level 10 now.

And the RNG is heavily favoring Framme so far, she's turning into a murder machine.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

You will gain a few for purchase every couple of chapters, I think ch17 is when you get infinite.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I am glad for the existence of mid-game prepromotes right now, because Lapis and Diamant have both been pretty mediocre for me and Goldmary got all their spare weapons and is instantly one of my best units. Plus she seems like a real fuckin' weirdo so that's also cool.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Goldmary is such a horrible woman. I love her.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Goldmary is amazing and she has my favorite crit quote in the game

"What's the point of you?" is such an ice cold thing to say to someone just before brutally murdering them with a spear.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Goldmary's is the kind of person who would say their only flaw is that they are too perfect and that is excellent for her. She is not quite my favorite character but she is definitely in the top 3.

Now if only she was a Halbedier by default...

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

gently caress Lyn and her stupid Paralogue. What a bunch of bullshit.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The upside to Goldmary is that her default class is hero, thus she can be in the good class without looking horrific

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Tae posted:

The upside to Goldmary is that her default class is hero, thus she can be in the good class without looking horrific

I was not expecting a class to look worse than whatever the gently caress is going on with Sage but uh, bravo to the default Hero look for being so bad I can't even figure out what the hell the artist was going for.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I managed to kite her in a gigantic circle around the entire map. Took me 40+ turns but it did work.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Sydin posted:

I was not expecting a class to look worse than whatever the gently caress is going on with Sage but uh, bravo to the default Hero look for being so bad I can't even figure out what the hell the artist was going for.

I actually do want to replay the game, but I'm absolutely waiting until we get the option to force people to always use their personal outfit.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Just gotta go fast to kill the tent leaders so reinforcements don't show up.

And then you just box her in and chain attack/surge her to death because she only has like 23 attack. Real wimpy. Even with crits she can't do nothing!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I missed out on pummeling Goldmary because I took out Hortensia. :(

Rosado did get his face caved in by Framme (with some help from Yunaka), at least.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the real trick to Lyn's paralogue is that you don't have to do it right away. All of the emblem paralogues are overleveled for when they unlock but they don't scale at all

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I love all the dumb bullshit you can pull in this game

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Just gotta go fast to kill the tent leaders so reinforcements don't show up.

And then you just box her in and chain attack/surge her to death because she only has like 23 attack. Real wimpy. Even with crits she can't do nothing!

Is the trigger for reinforcements getting too close to Lyn? Or is it after a certain number of turns?

This is the kinda “gotcha!” poo poo that drives me crazy about FE games. I hate when they put you in an impossible situation so the only thing you can do is start the entire battle over. Thankfully this one is optional, so I can come back later.

Edit: gonna have to abandon some of my lower-leveled units for better ones that came later. I hate to do that but this game basically makes it impossible to level up low-level units. Biggest “gotcha” moment in this game was chapter 10 taking away all of my rings which I wasn’t expecting so lots of units now suck because I can’t give them the right proficiency like Anna. loving bullshit that they did poo poo like put Anna in the wrong job then gated magic behind the rings that they then take away from you for ages.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Feb 4, 2023

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Is the trigger for reinforcements getting too close to Lyn? Or is it after a certain number of turns?

This is the kinda “gotcha!” poo poo that drives me crazy about FE games. I hate when they put you in an impossible situation so the only thing you can do is start the entire battle over. Thankfully this one is optional, so I can come back later.

The trigger is that the reinforcements show when Lyn casts Astra Storm.

But Lyn has a trigger where she'll start moving towards you earlier than that.

If you set up a low def flier nearby Lyn will constantly chase that flier around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Lyn moves on a timer. The reinforcements spawn when she attacks you for the first time, form any huts that you haven't killed the boss of

You also have the time crystal as an option, any time you feel gotchaed

e: my strat was to clear the four huts far from lyn while working on a strict timer, then kite lyn just long enough to beat her before the reinforcements from the other huts mattered