Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Last time I played the elevator required iirc 5000 nuclear cubes and that was the end of the game. Has that changed? Is there one step higher now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Same, but it either takes xxx hours to make each one or all the resources on the map

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

thehandtruck posted:

Last time I played the elevator required iirc 5000 nuclear cubes and that was the end of the game. Has that changed? Is there one step higher now?

Nope. And the devs have said that there will not be a tier 9-10 that's "after" the current tier 7-8 in terms of progression and complexity. Whatever the plot stuff or new tech there is that uses the artifacts, SAM ore, etc in the release version will be on the side rather than at the end.

So that final employee of the planet goal will probably not change.

ninjewtsu posted:

There's still no way to restrict the number of open slots in a container or automatically feed into a smaller container right?

No, other than filling slots with irrelevant items in a container that has no out-flow to limit the number of slots used.

There's a mod for a mini-container that is one of the few things I really do miss from not using mods anymore.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’ve tried to build one mega base but I just got to radio control units and boy idk anymore. Might make sense to make these somewhere else

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Is there a strat for when trying to manifold more resources than a mk5 belt can handle? i.e. More than 760 whatever items per min?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Dravs posted:

Is there a strat for when trying to manifold more resources than a mk5 belt can handle? i.e. More than 760 whatever items per min?

Run another belt on top of the first one. When the first belt is used up and feeds into the last machine, have the second one drop down and continue.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Ice Fist posted:

A single storage container per item will be just fine, even for 2 people. Once a game is handling more than that I'd probably do 2 containers. Except for concrete. In my solo game I use an absurd amount of concrete. My personal train has two cars just with concrete.

I'm curious about what this would be good for. I can't imagine any way I've used a container where it would have been better if they were smaller. Maybe to fill up a storage and then ship off the extras to make something else, is that it? I always work in the other direction, use what's needed and put the extras in storage.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Man with Hat posted:

I'm curious about what this would be good for.

I'm not sure exactly which part of my post you're curious about

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

These guys really did a lot of work to model a complex fluid dynamics system and gently caress them for it.

Do you have to fill a pipe to get it to do work? If I need to send 360/s do I use a mk I or II pipe?

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Feb 5, 2023

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

zoux posted:

These guys really did a lot of work to model a complex fluid dynamics system and gently caress them for it.

Do you have to fill a pipe to get it to do work? If I need to send 360/s do I use a mk I or II pipe?

mk2. mk1 can only transport 300/s max

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

zoux posted:

Fluid dynamics is the universe's way of saying to programmers "gently caress you guys, in particular".

The satisfactory fluid sim is totally unrealistic and dumb, in favor of performance. Some of the unrealistic bits, like how head lift works, works in the player's favor. Some of the others, like flow limits, are kinda lovely to deal with.

zoux posted:

Do you have to fill a pipe to get it to do work?

Technically no, a half-full pipe could still send 300/m or 600/m and be working. In practice a bunch of pipes that aren't full will have a lot of slosh, so if you are seeing pipes with empty space that probably indicates a problem in your network.

(Ask for help at any time, I'm pretty good at figuring out pipe poo poo. But post some pics, it's impossible to diagnose pipe poo poo via text descriptions. And sometimes even with pics.)

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
I have three stacked industrial containers for each item in my mall, but I'm also the kind of guy who gets a little anxious when I only have 20,000 mw of spare power.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Man with Hat posted:

I'm curious about what this would be good for. I can't imagine any way I've used a container where it would have been better if they were smaller. Maybe to fill up a storage and then ship off the extras to make something else, is that it? I always work in the other direction, use what's needed and put the extras in storage.

If you limit how much a container fills up you can say "my iron rod mall buffer only needs to be 10 stacks" and then after that much fills the iron rod building stops consuming iron (which can be redirected elsewhere) and stops consuming power well ahead of when it would normally.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ninjewtsu posted:

If you limit how much a container fills up you can say "my iron rod mall buffer only needs to be 10 stacks" and then after that much fills the iron rod building stops consuming iron (which can be redirected elsewhere) and stops consuming power well ahead of when it would normally.

The way a lot of people do it is aim for oversupply everywhere. And you put the storage mall after all the other consumers, so it just takes the leftovers. Then you can have as many storage crates as you want without interrupting anything.

Optional but highly recommended is a sink after the mall, so that when your storage fills up the excess goes in the trash. The reason to do this is because you can use a sushi belt behind your mall and it won't clog up.

If you need to redirect iron to and from rods and other things that need iron, that means you need more iron. :viggo:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

For me it makes me nervous because I'm used to finite resources and distribited logistics and if you forget about a box and it fills up with 10000 green engines - well that tends to be "yer problem".

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Ice Fist posted:

I'm not sure exactly which part of my post you're curious about

That's because I hit quote in the wrong post :)

ninjewtsu posted:

This answers my question though, thanks!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What tricks do you guys use to measure distance and stuff, from micro "I want all these rows 3 m apart" to macro stuff where you're lining up kms of belts?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

It's a bit of a pain in the rear end, but I just draw a potential belt across the terrain until I hit the length limit, then plop down some stackable poles within that reach and do the actual connections.

Sure would be nice to be able to toggle from a regular conveyor pole to a stackable one when building belts!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

zoux posted:

What tricks do you guys use to measure distance and stuff, from micro "I want all these rows 3 m apart" to macro stuff where you're lining up kms of belts?

Small scale: use the foundation grid. If you haven't seen it yet, the road barrier item (buy in the awesome shop) is super-useful for placing stuff precisely because it uses 1m snaps, can rotate any direction, and other stuff snaps to it.

Large scale: the map on satisfactory-calculator.com has a 'measure distance' tool ala google maps. (Plus it tells you distance in foundations too.)

zoux posted:

For me it makes me nervous because I'm used to finite resources and distribited logistics and if you forget about a box and it fills up with 10000 green engines - well that tends to be "yer problem".

Yeah so in satisfactory you can think very differently.

So I mentioned previously that in my storage area, I have rotors and motors in the same bin right? If I've been using a bunch of motors, the bin will have too many rotors in it and there won't be room for more motors. You know what I do? Take a bunch of rotors and throw them away. Not even into an awesome sink! I just drag 'em to the trash can!

The way of thinking about stuff in this game is that you either have a finite amount, which might as well be zero, or you have infinity. Having infinity is the goal.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

zoux posted:

This isn't Dyson Sphere, the green engines can't hurt you here.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

zoux posted:

I start by building foundations under the first iron miner I build.

Then I just extend that foundation network everywhere I go.

Everywhere.

Embrace grid.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Decided to decorate the roof of my item mall.

Bounce pads angled straight up with factory carts encased in glass.

1:32 eternal slug balancer. Was hoping to make a rainbow effect but unfortunately all three types of slug show up as blue on conveyor belts.

Alternating grid of splitters and mergers randomizing the order of several high tier items.

Thinking about maybe luring a bunch of dogs up there but that seems like a lot of effort.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The mega attempt so far. I don't even think its halfway done. I'm on radio control units.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is the water in the spire coast known to be hosed? I'm up there for oil and building rubber and plastic plants and there's spots up there with no bottom and the rocks and plants glitch out, is that just me

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s brand new so may be glitchy

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

zoux posted:

Is the water in the spire coast known to be hosed? I'm up there for oil and building rubber and plastic plants and there's spots up there with no bottom and the rocks and plants glitch out, is that just me

Are you building far out into the ocean, or something?

Water in general can be wack, because the texture for water surface and "this is water" are different things. So there are places in the world where it looks like water but it's just the texture. You can't place extractors and you fall straight down. (These are mostly far out in the ocean where the general expectation is that players won't go.)

There have also been a couple places where there was water with no texture. You could swim in nothing.

I haven't seen glitchy rocks or plants in spire coast though. You might want to try verifying files. OTOH Spire Coast is definitely not finished -- it's barely populated with monsters and doesn't have any slugs. So I could totally believe there's some glitchy stuff that I just haven't seen yet.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nope, right next to a couple of oil nodes. I'll take a screenshot when I get home, show your what I mean.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Also i'm tired of trucks already. I fuckin hate these things and now wish I'd just skipped trucks until I got trains. But now if I try to belt everything around the few trucks I have running will have even more problems.

They keep deadlocking and I have to go get in one. As soon as I get in it, the other truck goes "oh my bad sorry sir" and drives around me.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

CainFortea posted:

Also i'm tired of trucks already. I fuckin hate these things and now wish I'd just skipped trucks until I got trains. But now if I try to belt everything around the few trucks I have running will have even more problems.

They keep deadlocking and I have to go get in one. As soon as I get in it, the other truck goes "oh my bad sorry sir" and drives around me.

Delete all the path nodes around wherever they're getting deadlocked and they'll never deadlock in that location again. Only automated vehicles deadlock so as soon as you get in one the other will start back up and try to drive around you.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Delete all the path nodes around wherever they're getting deadlocked and they'll never deadlock in that location again. Only automated vehicles deadlock so as soon as you get in one the other will start back up and try to drive around you.

Ah, I see they take the tesla approach to self driving.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

CainFortea posted:

Turn your belts to the sky

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ive been having good luck with trucks by putting no more than 2 on their own 3 foundation wide highways. And then having no more than 2 assigned to any one truck stop.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

euphronius posted:

And then having no more than 2 assigned to any one truck stop.

If you have multiple trucks going to a truck stop, I think it's very important to make the station be a "drive thru". IE the truck goes in from the side and straight out the other side.

The way that paths get replaced with the big pause target at a station, trucks often do really slow and stupid things trying to leave the station if they have to do anything but drive straight. Even a 90 degree turn is enough to make them stop and shuffle forward/reverse as they try to get back to their path. It's one of the two or three things I really dislike about the new path system.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ok so I've solved the mystery of the Spire Coast.

This is what I was getting
Above:

Below:

And like there is no seabed anywhere in there. Turns out, I got the Build Gun mod to help me measure things and I noticed it had a terrain delete feature. In deleting a couple of those stone mushrooms I suppose I also inadvertently deleted the entire sea floor of the Spire Coast. It's supposed to display a list of deleted terrain features in the mod options but it didn't. Anyway be careful with that gun if you get the mod!

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

zoux posted:

Hold down left alt and click around. It will tell you the distance to what you clicked.

Yes, I also just found that out after hundreds of hours.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

CainFortea posted:

I only use a single truck route before getting to trains, delivering plastic to my computer factory. And as soon as I unlock trains that route gets replaced by a train line.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Roundboy posted:

Hold down left alt and click around. It will tell you the distance to what you clicked.

:catstare:

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Roundboy posted:

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!