Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I hope the next 2D Zelda isn’t a remake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

ExcessBLarg! posted:

SM has a well defined critical path. What makes it special is that it keeps you on rails without you actually knowing that. Although it commits the sin of placing a save room at bottom of Tourian after the point of no return..

A lot of Super Metroid does the clever thing of guiding you without letting you know how you're being guided, but there are a couple points where there's not one clear path forward and it just tells you to figure it out, stupid. Which are magical moments, but I've heard that the game wasn't very well-recieved in Japan as a result, which is also why it took so long to get the next Metroid.

With the original Zelda, basically the entirety of it is made of those genius "you figure out where to go, stupid" moments, which gave it a really cool feel, but also enough was basically so obtuse that it''s doubtful you'd ever finish without help. And I didn't really find the combat fun enough to struggle around with not-good-enough swords or not-enough hearts.

The original Metroid is also very freeform, but a significant amount of progression is behind obstacles like "jump in this lava, it's randomly not real" or "morph ball through this fake wall you have no way to know about".

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The dungeons in TotK will be 2D like those parts in Mario Odyssey where you turn 8bit on the wall for a while.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Electromax posted:

The dungeons in TotK will be 2D like those parts in Mario Odyssey where you turn 8bit on the wall for a while.

Don't threaten me with a good time

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Don't threaten me with a good time

Spellman
May 31, 2011

If the next 2D Zelda was a Four Swords thing and they incorporated some sort of optional co-op in a clever way, like connecting to other players in a dungeon, or splitting Joy-Con and running around the overworld in your joycon colored pajamas, that would be sicko

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The next 2D Zelda will be Adventures of Link 2.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
The Legend of Zelda: Dread, please

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Zelda II 2: Electric Chuchu

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

A LoZ game where it’s years after BoTW- Link and Zelda have been married and have 2 children (son and daughter). The game focuses on the kids having to go on an adventure to save their parents. It can be played by a single person who switches between characters or by 2 people.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Well now I kinda just want to go play Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time again.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Cartoon Man posted:

The next 2D Zelda will be Adventures of Link 2.

The Adventure of Link remake in the style of Samus Returns feels inevitable to me

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I want a Zelda game where you play as this dude from Twilight Princess. Gannon kills Link but he gets resurrected from the dead to fight back and rescue Zelda.

He gets cool Zombie and Lich powers and poo poo.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The enemies in TotK will be controllable by Link if he throws his hat on them like in Mario Odyssey, so you can kind of roleplay that story.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Cartoon Man posted:

I want a Zelda game where you play as this dude from Twilight Princess. Gannon kills Link but he gets resurrected from the dead to fight back and rescue Zelda.

He gets cool Zombie and Lich powers and poo poo.

Didn't Twilight Princess really heavily imply this guy is Link from Ocarina of Time?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

quiggy posted:

Didn't Twilight Princess really heavily imply this guy is Link from Ocarina of Time?

Very heavily implied. I think Hyrule Historia comes out and says it.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

A LoZ game where it’s years after BoTW- Link and Zelda have been married and have 2 children (son and daughter). The game focuses on the kids having to go on an adventure to save their parents. It can be played by a single person who switches between characters or by 2 people.

Or maybe Link and Zelda's marriage has gotten pretty rocky so Vaati shrinks them down and they have to work together to grow back to normal size and also save their relationship.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

MokBa posted:

Or maybe Link and Zelda's marriage has gotten pretty rocky so Vaati shrinks them down and they have to work together to grow back to normal size and also save their relationship.

Ganon is there too and the name of the game is It Takes Triforce

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

hatty posted:

I hope the next 2D Zelda isn’t a remake

Same but for all games

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Dear Nintendo please make some sky islands in TotK be spheres so I can pretend I'm playing The Legend of Zelda: Galaxy

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Same but for all games

Except for WWHD2 because my Wii U's broke

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

wait, isn't this just the second half of Dragon Quest V

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

WarpDogs posted:

lol I'm actually surprised they haven't done something like this before. I guess it's commendable they've resisted doing something that would probably feel pretty hacky, but it also feels like such an obvious thing given all the time traveling and portal jumping we've accepted over the years

one of the coolest moments of my entire gamer career was going under the sea in WW. that wasn't actually OoT's castle, but it felt like it could be, and the idea of using in-world magic to travel back to the world of a previous game to get something important was so god drat epic and I've been chasing that feeling ever since

I got this feeling when I downloaded the ROM for Pokemon Gold/Silver as a kid (before it was released in the states). Thought it was the coolest thing ever how you go back to the original game's towns.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
If Tarrey Town isn't in Tears of the Kingdom I will be saddened. Do you know how much wood that place cost me?! :argh:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Except for WWHD2 because my Wii U's broke

Boo to remakes, but cheers to PC Ports. Ship of Harkinian is leagues ahead of any official attempt to re-release OoT. Just leagues ahead of any Zelda game release, gold standard for effortless controller support, and every bugfix and tweak, settings, and option you could dream of. So many times I'd think "man I wish so and was a little different but why would they bothoh poo poo they have that option and more I hadn't thought or encountered yet. Fun Big Head mode style classic cheats and custom tunic colours + randomizer modes, even a built-in save editor. I think it'll probably be 2025 before Majora's Mask gets a similar quality port, who knows if anything after will ever be decompiled and ported though.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Here we goooooo

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1491049195343650817?s=20

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

That says 2022.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Here we goooooo

gotem.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

god dammit

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Orange Crush Rush posted:

wait, isn't this just the second half of Dragon Quest V

:ssh:

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
What's the best way for an adult man child who missed Majora's Mask but has a Switch and 3DS to play said game? I know it won't spark that wonder that OoT did as a 10 year old but I'd love to catch up on it anyway.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

What's the best way for an adult man child who missed Majora's Mask but has a Switch and 3DS to play said game? I know it won't spark that wonder that OoT did as a 10 year old but I'd love to catch up on it anyway.

The 3DS eshop should still sell you a digital copy of Majoras Mask 3D. I liked the graphics upgrade and quality of life improvements they did but purists will argue it’s inferior to the original.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Seconding the 3DS version, I have a few complaints but they're far outweighed by the positive changes. If nothing else, I never want to go back to the original time skip mechanic, compared to the update allowing you to jump to specific hours.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think the neon green Link update looks wildly out of place and remember them changing a bunch of other little things that made it feel very "wrong" and looked a little worse overall but who knows how much of that is just playing it on the tiny screen. Emulation doesn't seem like an option for you anyway, and if you don't have a frame of reference for changes might not notice anything off at all, it's a good enough game that even if it were universally seen as worse it would still be a good enough game worth playing. MM is a unique game, can't think of anything else off the top structured like it.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Thanks all, I'll look into the digital version.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."
Is your 3DS hacked?

If yes, install the Restoration Mod.

If not, hack your 3DS and then install the Restoration Mod.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Jetamo posted:

If Tarrey Town isn't in Tears of the Kingdom I will be saddened. Do you know how much wood that place cost me?! :argh:

at the start of the game it's gone and everyone fears it was destroyed by the return of Ganondorf, but lo! It was merely raised up into the sky and now they need an additional 500 bundles of wood for a really tall ladder which will be built by Bolson and his husband, Greyson

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'll be the contrarian and say play the N64 version available on Switch Online because it's better than the 3DS one

Skrill.exe posted:

Is your 3DS hacked?

If yes, install the Restoration Mod.

If not, hack your 3DS and then install the Restoration Mod.

This is also an acceptable solution

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Among the 3DS version's changes are a few that, while minor, are also just sort of arbitrarily worse, which is often irksome to those familiar with the original. A first-time player won't even notice them, however, and at any rate they're overshadowed by the improvements like the more detailed notebook. You can't go wrong either way, but personally I'd give the edge to the 3DS version.

Just don't play the Gamecube version, that has a crash bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Just don't play the Gamecube version, that has a crash bug.

I don't think anyone's actually gonna be doing this nowadays, but anecdotally I had trouble with crashes early on, then followed advice to turn off the rumble feature and 100%ed the rest of the game without any particular trouble. I've always been curious whether that was a real solution or I just happened to get lucky.