Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I threw Mentorship on everyone as soon as I got Byleth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

inthesto posted:

At first I had choice paralysis with spending SP but now I'm chapter 20 my units are all functioning just fine with Leadership and not much else so why bother spending any more neural activity on it

May I suggest just getting canter on everyone and then moving on with your life.

It'll be no brain power for a nice quality of life improvement.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Harrow posted:

I'm not too sure how I want to handle units who start with multiple weapon types. For example, does Framme have to never be a punch class, or does she also have to never be a staff class? Does Rosado have to change to a sword-locked, bow-locked, or magic class so he stays away from both axes and lances? Not too sure yet on that constraint.

why not just call it by their weapon bonus?

Like framme has arts weapon bonus (or w/e you call the blue icon in their class change window), so just keep her away from fists

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Cavalry not getting Canter is the saddest I have ever seen Cavalry be, but I will add a (perhaps unnecessary) disclaimer that this is only my fifth actual Fire Emblem.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Erg posted:

why not just call it by their weapon bonus?

Like framme has arts weapon bonus (or w/e you call the blue icon in their class change window), so just keep her away from fists

Yeah that's what I was thinking, though having it go by both weapon types wouldn't be too onerous for most units, and it might be more impactful just to have a "units must change class type" constraint instead. (Though that would throw a wrench into my plan to make Panette a Swordmaster, since she'd still have the backup type. Hm...)

One potential issue I noticed is that a reclass everyone run where you also have to give up all your starting weapon types leaves you with very few people who can be a really strong mage. You have Anna and specifically Mage Knight Jean (since he can't be a Sage because it would give him back his staff access) and that's about it. Everyone else who has half-decent natural Magic growth starts with tomes and so is forbidden to keep them under these constraints. Maybe Framme would make a decent Mage Knight too? Again no Sage because staves.

posadas
Jan 28, 2021
On the flip side, it's a mercy in skirmishes that enemies don't have it either

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Harrow posted:

Everyone else who has half-decent natural Magic growth starts with tomes and so is forbidden to keep them under these constraints. Maybe Framme would make a decent Mage Knight too? Again no Sage because staves.

Chloe has a better MAG growth than Ivy.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Veryslightlymad posted:

Cavalry not getting Canter is the saddest I have ever seen Cavalry be, but I will add a (perhaps unnecessary) disclaimer that this is only my fifth actual Fire Emblem.

Cav only really got that in Genealogy, Thracia, PoR, RD and 3 Houses. They also have a version in the GBA games that works almost exactly the opposite how it does in Engage (only triggers when you end a turn doing a non-attack action).

Its not a thing in 1/2/3 or their remakes, or Awakening and Fates.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Oh true, I could do Mage for Chloe. I was considering Thief for her but there's no shortage of people who could be a decent Thief. She'd look pretty rad with Sage's gigantic cloak, too. Then I could go High Priest Anna and Mage Knight Jean and be pretty set for magical units.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Cythereal posted:

This right here is the answer.

But a lot of magic comes from classes. Clanne is a good unit, and his native magic growth is 10.

Plus there are are a decent number of boosters. Plus Anna exists. Hell, most people do something weird with Anna. The weirdest thing for her might just be keeping her a berserker.

Magic is the stat that would worry me least, honestly.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Harrow posted:

Oh true, I could do Mage for Chloe. I was considering Thief for her but there's no shortage of people who could be a decent Thief.

Even if they have a 20% Mag growth, Mage gives 25% Mag growth and Sage gives 30%. That's as good or higher than a number of character's str growth normally.

You could make pretty decent mages out of Yunaka, Lapis, Jade, Fogado, Merrin or Rosado who all have 20-25% mag growth. And about half of them come super early or have half-decent bases if you're set on not doing Anna or Chloe

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ah poo poo now I'm getting excited about this run, I might just have to do it right away.

I'll probably have to switch to emulating and just cheat myself a big pile of Second Seals since I think it'd be more fun to be able to reclass everyone instantly rather than waiting until I have the seals for it.

I'm thinking I'll go female Alear this time, go straight into Lance Flier, then decide on Griffin vs. Wyvern later. Make Vander a lance or sword General immediately and just lol as everything bounces off him for a while. Clanne and Framme might swap classes. Yunaka's growths are solid all around and I'm thinking I might even go Warrior with her, let her be the Wrath crit monster she has the potential to be.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Harrow posted:

Oh true, I could do Mage for Chloe. I was considering Thief for her but there's no shortage of people who could be a decent Thief. She'd look pretty rad with Sage's gigantic cloak, too. Then I could go High Priest Anna and Mage Knight Jean and be pretty set for magical units.

For what it's worth, I've put a pin in the idea of making Anna an archer in my almost certain second run, with an eye towards giving her the radiant bow and letting her flex between physical and magical damage as needed.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cythereal posted:

For what it's worth, I've put a pin in the idea of making Anna an archer in my almost certain second run, with an eye towards giving her the radiant bow and letting her flex between physical and magical damage as needed.

Yeah Anna's probably the ideal Radiant Bow user since she'll have really high Magic growth in any class. I think I'm going to do that with Citrinne this time, since she'll need to escape tome classes for this run's constraints.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I don’t understand Céline. Mine has like 20 str but 14 mag and she’s promoted. I was having her use the Levin Sword but she kinda sucks at magic??? I also didn’t realize her base class could use swords until I went to promote her lmao

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Zore posted:

Cav only really got that in Genealogy, Thracia, PoR, RD and 3 Houses. They also have a version in the GBA games that works almost exactly the opposite how it does in Engage (only triggers when you end a turn doing a non-attack action).

Its not a thing in 1/2/3 or their remakes, or Awakening and Fates.

Yeah, I played the GBA games, Path of Radiance, and Three Houses.

Cythereal posted:

This is what I did. She deletes all the burly physical units that tend to have crap resist and also all fliers.

I drew Ike in the Arena, and watched the most lopsided emblem fight where he failed to hit her and she doubled him for 28 damage a pop.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I don’t understand Céline. Mine has like 20 str but 14 mag and she’s promoted. I was having her use the Levin Sword but she kinda sucks at magic??? I also didn’t realize her base class could use swords until I went to promote her lmao

I made Celine a martial master after I got Byleth and she's been ripping and tearing with great enthusiasm.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Celine's deal is having extremely balanced growths across the board. So it's easy for the pendulum to swing a way you weren't expecting wrt her offensive stats. It's partly why her personal class has Ignis.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

Ah poo poo now I'm getting excited about this run, I might just have to do it right away.

I'll probably have to switch to emulating and just cheat myself a big pile of Second Seals since I think it'd be more fun to be able to reclass everyone instantly rather than waiting until I have the seals for it.

I'm thinking I'll go female Alear this time, go straight into Lance Flier, then decide on Griffin vs. Wyvern later. Make Vander a lance or sword General immediately and just lol as everything bounces off him for a while. Clanne and Framme might swap classes. Yunaka's growths are solid all around and I'm thinking I might even go Warrior with her, let her be the Wrath crit monster she has the potential to be.

I think the biggest issue with this (really cool) run idea is how limited you are on second seals until ridiculously late in the game.

Though having said that I'm sure there's already some inventory hacks that could fix this.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think I'm going to swap Diamant and Alcryst's roles just for fun. Diamant will go Sniper (since he can't go Warrior because of the unit type constraint) and Alcryst will go sword/axe Hero.

Zore posted:

I think the biggest issue with this (really cool) run idea is how limited you are on second seals until ridiculously late in the game.

Though having said that I'm sure there's already some inventory hacks that could fix this.

Yeah, that's definitely the biggest issue. It's not even money, it's just that there are only so many seals you can get at a time. Inventory hacks are going to be the way to go probably.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
It's similar enough to my all rando idea, but it requires you to use a little foreknowledge so your units will end up better and probably more fun.

You can also try out my Halbardier Etie idea from earlier. She should hit like a train on anything you set a high movement unit on the other side of. Or you could just give her Sigurd and make her a boss finisher.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'll take any excuse to run a Halberdier, so that sounds good to me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Okay here are the "final class" ideas I've had for the characters I definitely want to at least try to use. Any character not listed I'm either not really going to use because they were such a mainstay in my first playthrough, or their growths look so shaky in anything outside their niche that I can think of that I'm not sure they'll see much field time. I'm also trying not to repeat classes much, just for the hell of it:

Alear (F) - Wyvern Knight (lance/axe)
Vander - Griffin Knight (this repeats with Etie below but he's basically just going to be my early game staff user until I get Celine)
Clanne - Thief (believe it or not his growths in Thief are better than Yunaka's pretty much across the board--Yunaka's probably the better Thief in general because of her personal skill but, well, I'm reclassing everyone!)
Framme - Sage or Mage Knight
Alfred - General (axe)
Etie - Griffin Knight (seems very good for her--her high Str helps patch up Griffin Knight's weakness, and Griffin Knight will help her Spd)
Celine - Martial Master
Chloe - Sage
Anna - High Priest
Jean - Mage Knight
Yunaka - Warrior
Diamant - Sniper
Alcryst - Hero (sword/axe)
Jade - Mage Knight (giving it a try by request)
Kagetsu - Halberdier (I'm letting him stay in the same unit type because the other idea I had was to make him a Wyvern and Alear's got that covered)
Zelkov - Bow Knight (sword)
Panette - Wolf Knight (sword or lance)
Rosado - Swordmaster

Also I'm going to let myself keep Seadall as a Dancer because reclassing my Dancer would cause me physical pain.

Anyway if anyone has ideas for something fun to do with Ivy that doesn't repeat any of the classes above and also doesn't let her keep tomes, I'm curious! I thought about going Martial Master with her but Celine actually has pretty sick growths for that class and I want one early on anyway. And Timerra and Fogado just seem to have kind of shaky growths. I'd really like to use them but I can't think of a good niche, so if anyone has ideas for them, that'd be cool too.

I think some of the late game spoiler characters will serve as decent backups if some of the above don't work out. If Celine doesn't end up doing well as a Martial Master then Mauvier or Veyle can actually do that pretty well just with their base stats alone, for example.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 7, 2023

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Celine might need one of the Seraph robes, but she should otherwise excel at fisticuffs.
I'm curious about a lot of those ideas.

As for Ivy, she gets better hit odds against a unit she's already attacked, but she has bad dex.

Sniper and Bow knight seem ok. (But are taken) Start with a long bow. But, you might also be able to fix two of her problems by making her a wolf knight and then giving her one of the magic weapons.

Edit,
And if you stick to a magic weapon that isn't the type Panette is using, she shouldn't feel like the same type of unit at all.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 7, 2023

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hmm, maybe I'll add Lapis to the list and make her a Berserker. Berserker's not a great class overall but it'll boost up her Str, and her natural Spd will be nice.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
You don't have any Paladins, but they tend to have pretty good growths across the board, for all that they're not a very sexy class. You could probably stuff just about anyone you didn't use but want to see the supports on and they'd be fine.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

panette’s base strength

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Checking out recruitments I just realized that without second seals it's actually impossible to have one of each promoted class in the game because Etie is the only base Archer and there are no Sniper or Bow Knight prepromotes. Every other class either has a prepromote or can be promoted into (Like General or Griffin Knight). Well that and no natural Lance Fighter/Halebardiers either.

Kinda useless trivia but still trivia.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I do not think all 8 royals needed unique classes, no. That would solve both of these 'issues'.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Hellioning posted:

I do not think all 8 royals needed unique classes, no. That would solve both of these 'issues'.

I mean outside of Celine and the Elusian gurls they're all clones of different classes with other skills (Cavalier/Paladin, Sword Fighter/Hero, Archer/Sniper, Bow Knight and Lance Fighter/Halebardier).

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I mean outside of Celine and the Elusian gurls they're all clones of different classes with other skills (Cavalier/Paladin, Sword Fighter/Hero, Archer/Sniper, Bow Knight and Lance Fighter/Halebardier).

Alfred gets two weapons while Paladins only get one. Diamant and Fogado also get slightly better weapon ranks than their generic counterparts, though that's not a huge deal. I do agree that the Brodian and Solm royals could have had more interesting classes.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
If nothing else, very little would have been lost if all the royals started in their promoted classes and those classes went up to level 40. Alfred and Celine are the only ones you have to use for a while in their pre-promoted state; Diamant and Alcryst are ready to promote the moment you get them and the other royals are pretty much "well past the point of promoting".

I guess it might have made the class limits a little harder to understand if the royals were all exceptions?

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
https://dotesports.com/nintendo/news/fire-emblem-engage-character-tier-list

Who loves lovely tier lists? I love lovely tier lists.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

hahaha what the actual hell is this.

Also some serious spoilers in that list.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
that's not even really a tier list, it's just a hastily thrown together SEO vomit designed to trick people who are looking for tiermaker

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
putting that tier list in f-tier because it doesn't even have stupid justifications

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
It’s just so poo poo in so many ways. Huge, unmarked spoilers. No justifications for placements. Horrrific layout. It’s just a cesspool of poo poo that I love :allears:. It’s truly endearing to get something so terrible.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'd be surprised if anybody has any real idea of how the middle tiers play out right now, because so much of your impressions in an average playthrough are determined by which ring goes where. Like there's some obvious standouts at the top (Panette, Chloe) and a few characters who definitely take some work to make usable (Boucheron, Alfred) but so much of everybody's first impressions are going to be dominated by things like "I put Lyn on Diamant and he was insanely good" when nearly anybody is insane with Lyn.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Not all paralogues are created equal huh? I was super high on Lyn and Ike’s and even Byleth’s crystal rescue was interesting if weird. But Corrin’s was just a bunch of regular enemies in a field and and also a surprisingly unthreatening emblem boss.

Made for a nice breather after chapter 17 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Not all paralogues are created equal huh? I was super high on Lyn and Ike’s and even Byleth’s crystal rescue was interesting if weird. But Corrin’s was just a bunch of regular enemies in a field and and also a surprisingly unthreatening emblem boss.

Made for a nice breather after chapter 17 though.

Must be Birthright Corrin.