Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

icantfindaname posted:

This is more of a general games discussion, but is it accurate that there have been many fewer games imitating Zelda than Metroidvania games? I feel like that is the case, which seems weird. I can't think of any other significant Japanese franchises like it except Mana to an extent. American games you have Binding of Isaac, but I can't think of any more off the top of my head. Link to the Past is such a platonic ideal of a video game you'd think there would have been more clones of it but not really
I'm genuinely shocked at how few 3D Zelda-likes there have been. I just recently played through OoT3D and wanted more of that sort of thing on the 3DS only to discover there were literally none. And the only two we got were remasters of N64 games.

Oxxidation posted:

I’ll settle for a rerelease of Uprising with a sane control scheme
Yes, please. I couldn't make it through two levels of that game. It hurt too badly to play and I'd been clamoring for a new Kid Icarus game for decades. :(

Augus posted:

I'd honestly consider Samus Returns among the lowest of the 2D games. the combat and level design weren't really all there, and the game didn't really capture the atmosphere of Metroid 2 in a good way. It honestly made me a bit pessimistic about the future of 2D Metroid at the time but luckily Dread was a huge leap forward from it.
My biggest beef with that game is that it forgot one of the central tenets of Metroid design. In every other game, there's a progression. You get a new offensive item and you're a tiny god for a while. You can easily take out things that whipped your rear end five minutes ago. You feel powerful. Then you keep going and things get harder until finally, you're getting frustrated again and right when you consider stopping, you get a new upgrade and you're hell in a suit of armor again.

In Samus Returns, you get a new upgrade and everything gets harder basically right away. I want to feel awesome for a while, yo. I spent that entire game frustrated and I'm sick to death of the Dark Soulsification of bosses in games. I don't want to always bounce off something twenty times before I beat it. If you've trailed me in all the techniques I have at my disposal properly, I should be able to kick something's rear end after some difficulty on the first try. I should be rewarded for paying attention. But no. I'm supposed to train by losing a lot. It's not fun for me.

Metroid Dread was a vast improvement on the former (though still has a ways to go) and just as bad on the latter, so I'm hoping the devs of those two games keep learning. They've almost hit the sweet spot.

Imagine getting the Master sword and nothing gets any easier. It's not my cup of tea.

Cartoon Man posted:

The next 2D Zelda will be Adventures of Link 2.
loving SOLD. Zelda 2 was my favorite until shockingly recently.

WarpDogs posted:

The Adventure of Link remake in the style of Samus Returns feels inevitable to me
I wish I could agree, but they've never even remade the first game, and that one is actually still popular. Unless you count that Satellaview weirdness we never got here.

Sigh. I'm really gonna' have to try to beat my head against Majora's Mask again, aren't I? I have a modded 3DS and the QoL improvements both the 3DS version and the patch add are almost enough to get me to try again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
3ds Majora's Mask with the Project Restoration patch is easily the best MM experience. Works with a real 3ds, too.

E: Someone else mentioned it. Whoops. Oh well.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

I'll be the contrarian and say play the N64 version available on Switch Online because it's better than the 3DS one

Haha forgot they added the n64 emulation at all so didn't realize it was an option but I'd vote n64 version knowing it's an option now. I was wanting to play Banjo KAzooie and some other stuff the other day and tested out RetroArch for the first time, forgetting the service I keep accidentally paying for has n64 games already

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Rynoto posted:

3ds Majora's Mask with the Project Restoration patch is easily the best MM experience. Works with a real 3ds, too.

E: Someone else mentioned it. Whoops. Oh well.

It was worth repeating.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

LividLiquid posted:

I spent that entire game frustrated and I'm sick to death of the Dark Soulsification of bosses in games. I don't want to always bounce off something twenty times before I beat it. If you've trailed me in all the techniques I have at my disposal properly, I should be able to kick something's rear end after some difficulty on the first try. I should be rewarded for paying attention. But no. I'm supposed to train by losing a lot. It's not fun for me.

Metroid Dread was a vast improvement on the former (though still has a ways to go) and just as bad on the latter, so I'm hoping the devs of those two games keep learning. They've almost hit the sweet spot.

Generally I agree with this about hard bosses (and I say that as a huge Souls fan) but I found the controls in Dread so loving tight that mastering a boss fight was a lot of the fun for me. It reminded me quite a bit of Hollow Knight. After my first playthrough, I even managed to beat the final boss on my first try the other two times (including hard mode!) because I had learned its patterns so well. Some of the bosses do this more elegantly than others, and the later Emmi sections can go straight to hell, but overall I was a huge fan of the boss fights in Dread.

All that said, god I hope Zelda never pulls this poo poo. Yeah, the bosses (and the games in general) could stand to be a little more difficult. (Thunderblight was my favorite in BotW for a reason.) But it’s nice that it isn’t a terribly difficult series. The fun of BotW to me is that Hyrule is a giant playground and I’m the unchallenged bully.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

lol

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Bongo Bill posted:

Among the 3DS version's changes are a few that, while minor, are also just sort of arbitrarily worse, which is often irksome to those familiar with the original. A first-time player won't even notice them, however, and at any rate they're overshadowed by the improvements like the more detailed notebook. You can't go wrong either way, but personally I'd give the edge to the 3DS version.

Just don't play the Gamecube version, that has a crash bug.

I didn't finish MM on 3DS but I don't remember anything being outright bad. I think people were mostly annoyed that they made the boss battles easier. I think the deku one they added a bunch of the deku flowers around the boss arena to make it easier to do. I think they also added a big weak spot to every boss? I don't really seek out for my games to be particularly hard, so I don't really mind. I just want to play a game and progress, so I don't mind that they made things easier.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'd ask for a hard mode but their existing hero mode implementation and durability systems just made ever fighting anything not worth it. Seems like to make Zelda difficult would require more redesigning of enemies and combat itself which is outside the scope of an optional mode for an audience Nintendo hasn't ever needed to appeal to before.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's a shame that Tears of the Kingdom being for Switch only means we won't be able to play it with a bunch of graphical mods in CEMU. BotW in CEMU with 4k/60fps and various graphical mods is one of the best looking games I've ever seen. Really makes me wish there was some official way to play the game with higher resolution/performance, because it massively benefits from it.

Yuzu will probably at least be able to do the resolution upscaling (since that worked for Switch BotW), but 60fps apparently isn't possible with the Switch BotW (since game speed is tied to framerate IIRC) and probably won't be with Tears of the Kingdom either.

LividLiquid posted:

I spent that entire game frustrated and I'm sick to death of the Dark Soulsification of bosses in games. I don't want to always bounce off something twenty times before I beat it. If you've trailed me in all the techniques I have at my disposal properly, I should be able to kick something's rear end after some difficulty on the first try. I should be rewarded for paying attention. But no. I'm supposed to train by losing a lot. It's not fun for me.

I generally agree with this. It isn't really matter of "getting good" so much as "memorizing patterns (and sometimes also having a fast reaction time to do the correct things in response)."

There are other ways to make something difficult! You don't need to resort to "very punishing fights where you need to learn an enemy's patterns to succeed." "Git gud" in that situation is basically the rote memorization of gameplay.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
Does Nintendo ever advertise during the super bowl?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If they do this year, it'll be for the Super Mario Bros. movie, I think.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

MokBa posted:

All that said, god I hope Zelda never pulls this poo poo. Yeah, the bosses (and the games in general) could stand to be a little more difficult. (Thunderblight was my favorite in BotW for a reason.) But it’s nice that it isn’t a terribly difficult series. The fun of BotW to me is that Hyrule is a giant playground and I’m the unchallenged bully.

Bring back the mano-a-mano Ganondorf swordfight as the last phase of the final boss, even if it's with Dehydrated Ganondorf this time

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

I know this was old (2022) but it's nice in that it gives an idea of how quickly these things can happen. That announcement came on a Tuesday just 1 day before the actual Direct, so one might hope for an announcement today, in 2.5 hours even, if we're going to get a Direct this week at all.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

If they do this year, it'll be for the Super Mario Bros. movie, I think.

Yeah this will absolutely get advertised during it.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1622937592353243137?s=20&t=r7WBYoNFQm-Rk3QdQG-2VQ
Here's a little (big) Zelda thing I made last night, after beating the NSO version over the weekend.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

superjew posted:

Does Nintendo ever advertise during the super bowl?

They did leading up to the Switch’s release. It was a Switch/BotW commercial, featuring Imagine Dragons:

https://youtu.be/W6VnEbFZ4Dc

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

:woop: For real this time:

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1622958367374458882

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1622958367374458882?s=46&t=ZYk9RJzOXbLQZ9pe-8PIlg

Real this time!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I have jury duty tomorrow so it would be neat if I get dismissed early and can just be a blob without the kids around for a bit and watch the full things.

poo poo just jinxed myself. Only other time I had jury duty it turned into a 5 day engagement.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I'm like 70% sure they won't even show any TotK stuff. I hope I'm wrong

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

External Organs posted:

I'm almost certain there will be a trailer and "taking preorders now"; anything beyond that, we'll see.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

External Organs posted:

Nah this will cover every major game coming out in the first half of the year and there’s no way they don’t mention TotK. Even if it gets delayed a few months they’ll give us more info to satiate the unwashed masses. They’re bullish on hardware sales for this upcoming fiscal year so they’re not gonna miss an opportunity to milk the Zelda hype train. Especially if that rumored TotK OLED Switch is real. Now is a good time to announce it. Americans are all about to get tax refunds.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah I'm assuming it will be the last thing they show. I'm ok with that.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Electromax posted:

https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1622937592353243137?s=20&t=r7WBYoNFQm-Rk3QdQG-2VQ
Here's a little (big) Zelda thing I made last night, after beating the NSO version over the weekend.

Prima wishes they had this

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

In past directs they’ve done a thing where they say “big important game” will not be shown today but will instead have a dedicated Direct just for that game next week.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Electromax posted:

drat! Really cool. It’s like the internal map I had of the game for most of my life has been slapped into an image for the first time.

Always found it interesting how dense the east is compared to the west. I’ve read almost every developer interview at this point and they haven’t confirmed it, but I’d bet they had grander plans for the lake and desert.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

broken pixel posted:

drat! Really cool. It’s like the internal map I had of the game for most of my life has been slapped into an image for the first time.

Always found it interesting how dense the east is compared to the west. I’ve read almost every developer interview at this point and they haven’t confirmed it, but I’d bet they had grander plans for the lake and desert.

It's interesting to me that OoT is the game so many latch onto as the one that was supposed to be so much more. It certainly plays as a complete game. Never thought the desert was too short, they made that tiny-rear end desert feel much bigger through clever gameplay.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The northwest is where the Unicorn Fountain that takes you to the Sky Temple where you get the Triforce is supposed to be.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

They must have learned through the beta that big maps were too much work to populate and traverse.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The lower right side of Hyrule Field was always weird to me. Its kind of a big space, with trees and detail but, unless I'm forgetting, nothing is there.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Shiroc posted:

The lower right side of Hyrule Field was always weird to me. Its kind of a big space, with trees and detail but, unless I'm forgetting, nothing is there.

I remember bombing the walls around there and the ground all around in search of the triforce

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I think this was linked itt when it happened, but in case anyone missed it, a video showcasing a ton of cut content from Ocarina:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x_pqyrf9lA

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

It's interesting to me that OoT is the game so many latch onto as the one that was supposed to be so much more. It certainly plays as a complete game. Never thought the desert was too short, they made that tiny-rear end desert feel much bigger through clever gameplay.

Oh yeah, it’s definitely complete enough as is. The lore around OoT being more comes from a lot of info around the team considering the DD and expanding the game’s features, like a more realistic day/night cycle.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

In anticipation of tomorrow, I hope we get a bone chilling trailer like this masterpiece.

https://youtu.be/zw47_q9wbBE

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

glassyalabolas posted:

In anticipation of tomorrow, I hope we get a bone chilling trailer like this masterpiece.

https://youtu.be/zw47_q9wbBE

The interesting thing about that trailer is that it's actually a pretty accurate depoction of the game (minus the music). Usually trailers have to make games seem "grander" than they actually are.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I didn’t even see that trailer until after I’d finished the entire game and it still gave me chills, and does every time I see it

Super hosed up that none of that music made it into the game though :mad:

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I still get a little misty eyed when I watch the Twilight Princess reveal because it transports me instantly back to being 15 years old and feeding off the energy from that crowd. I must have rewatched that thing no less than 50 times

Never thought it'd be topped, but then that BotW trailer absolutely melted by brain

Zelda trailers, man

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Speaking of misty eyes. The game might cost $69.99.

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/the-legend-of-zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-switch/

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Trying to push their voucher program it looks like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

hatty posted:

Trying to push their voucher program it looks like

I don’t wanna buy this game digitally NINTENDO