Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Furnaceface posted:

I feel like Ive never actually asked this before but can you guys recommend me some anime from the late 80s and early 90s? Genre doesnt matter in this case. DBZ might be the only anime I have ever watched from that time period and I feel like Ive seen enough modern shows that it might be nice to watch some of the stuff that inspired it.

Akira
Fist of the North Star
Patlabor
Vampire Hunter D
Grave of the Fireflies
Gunbuster
Golgo 13

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Macross Plus.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Furnaceface posted:

That is one of my favourite moments and episodes in the show. The music that plays over it while the snow slowly accumulates is just so well done.

I feel like Ive never actually asked this before but can you guys recommend me some anime from the late 80s and early 90s? Genre doesnt matter in this case. DBZ might be the only anime I have ever watched from that time period and I feel like Ive seen enough modern shows that it might be nice to watch some of the stuff that inspired it.

Yu Yu Hakusho
Patlabor
Gunbuster
Akira
Kinnikuman

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

AlternateNu posted:

Fist of the North Star
Patlabor
Gunbuster
Golgo 13

Havnt seen these ones yet. I remember starting Fist of the North Star at least twice but getting sidetracked at the exact same episode with something else and never going back.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 19 days!)

Furnaceface posted:

That is one of my favourite moments and episodes in the show. The music that plays over it while the snow slowly accumulates is just so well done.

I throw in Dirty Pair (1985) and Slayers (1995) into the hat

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

GateOfD posted:

I throw in Dirty Pair (1985)

Also watch Dirty Pair Flash (1995) just for the comparison.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Furnaceface posted:

Saint Seiya, maybe? I know it never was much of a hit in the US, but it was huge in Latin America. Not sure how well it holds up nowadays, but its orchestral soundtrack still slaps.

Slam Dunk's a pretty solid sports anime, too.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

YES bread posted:

all the scenes where Subaru gets brutally or swiftly executed are good. I also like the parts where he cries

those goddamn rabbits...

re;zero rabbit scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYEIEu78uLM

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Furnaceface posted:

Cyber City Oedo 808.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Seconding Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket, and Patlabor (start with the Early Days OVA).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMpI_bc3LrI

edit - and watch Gunbuster (1988) if you have not seen Gunbuster. The Dirty Pair Project Eden movie (1986) is also 80's as hell, radical and tubular, completely absurd in its plot and scope in a good way, just lots of fun.

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Feb 8, 2023

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Ninja Scroll
Macross and Macross II
Bubblegum Crisis

I think I have VHS of these stashed somewhere.

Man I got so nostalgic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an_0IIRDlc4

infraboy fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Feb 8, 2023

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Furnaceface posted:

Gunbuster and Giant Robo

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

AlternateNu posted:

I also want to hop in and just say that Re:Zero's S2 opening, Long Song, is top 5 OPs of the last decade. And we only hear it like 3 loving times the whole season because they crammed so much content, they just skipped the OP/ED for 10 of the episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8X5hG51jbA

True, since numbers 1-4 are all Ciki Ciki Bam Bam

https://youtu.be/TyqDOOpJlcA

Furnaceface posted:

Tenchi Muyo

e: double fist the old and new Urusei Yatsura

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 8, 2023

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I just finished biomega and it was nowhere near as good as blame!. It sort of made me think of when a five year old tells a story and says stuff like: "and then blammo and then pow and kaboom!". Makes sense to the person telling the story, but not the person listening.

Trying Dr. Stone now and it's ok, I suppose.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Tenchi Muyo

Very young me was always confused by this series.

It kept resetting the plot and I didn't know why!

Like trying to reconcile the difference between Muyo and Universe was more than my 11 year old brain could handle.

I'm still trying to figure out what happened in the prime timeline. Or what even was the prime timeline for that matter.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

and then tenchi in tokyo came and just got totally lost

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
My primary recollection of Tenchi Muyo was child me being constantly mad at Tenchi for not recognizing or appreciating how rad Ryoko was

There’s a right choice and a wrong choice here Tenchi

The right choice is the badass space pirate you loving rube

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Captain Oblivious posted:

My primary recollection of Tenchi Muyo was child me being constantly mad at Tenchi for not recognizing or appreciating how rad Ryoko was

Not emptyquoting.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I don’t remember anything about tenchi but I assume ryoko was the woman with the business suit shoulders. How anyone else thought they had a chance with her around was absurd.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Natural 20 posted:

Very young me was always confused by this series.

It kept resetting the plot and I didn't know why!

Like trying to reconcile the difference between Muyo and Universe was more than my 11 year old brain could handle.

I'm still trying to figure out what happened in the prime timeline. Or what even was the prime timeline for that matter.

Teaching Muyo OVA was the main series and the other two(Universe and Tokyo) were "What if" type of spinoffs. Most if not all of the other spinoffs focus on following the OVA as that's what the one that follows the original works.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

plus, cat spaceship

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
e: wrong thread

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Truth.

That is the one thing young me realised. No matter the timeline Ryoko is the best.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

*looks towards camera*

emptyrave
May 13, 2022

I just finished the Girls' Last Tour manga and I loved it. I haven't read/watched much manga/anime in my life so popular stuff is on the table for recommending. Could someone recommend a manga/anime that has similar world-building but not extremely serious/depressing and leaves you Thinking About Things and has a strong message? More specifically:

I really liked how the story didn't have to explain what happened to civilization. You can infer what happened by just seeing the world around them. I could have this wrong, but it seemed like society was building upwards to avoid the organic god type things that people worshiped which were trying to eat everything humans made and that's why humans left (or tried to leave) the planet. They left behind a huge collection of people's personal belongings, a ginormous library of books from all cultures, and robots to guard them (?) to cement their existence on Earth. It doesn't explain this, you just figure it out on your own. I would like something like that. A story with world-building that gives you little nuggets of lore and you slowly piece it together yourself.

emptyrave fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Feb 18, 2023

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
If you liked Girl's Last Tour you might enjoy Shimeji Simulation from the same author - the tone is a lot more surreal but it covers some similar themes.

Other post-apoc (or adjacent) stories that may or may not convey their worldbuilding through hints, but are still worth a read:

Uramachi Sakaba and the very similar Haraiso Days from the same author - both explore a futuristic setting through the goings-on at a diner. Haraiso's chapters are slightly longer while Uramachi's are more bite-sized.

Usuzumi no Hate is also a last survivor-ish story, though the tone is probably a lot bleaker than Last Tour. Still, it has some nice character moments.

Yohohama Kaidashi Kikou is a super well-regarded series that's still on my to-read list so I can't give a full description, but it's also a very laid-back take on the end-of-the-world-adjacent setting.

In more general fantasy settings, there's stuff like Heterogeneous Linguistics where the protagonist travels through an unexplored continent populated by monsters and tries to learn about them and their society by studying their languages. There's plenty of room for readers to come up with their own theories and see if they're confirmed further down the line.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

emptyrave posted:

I just finished the Girls' Last Tour manga and I loved it. I haven't read/watched much manga/anime in my life so popular stuff is on the table for recommending. Could someone recommend a manga/anime that has similar world-building but not extremely serious/depressing and leaves you Thinking About Things and has a strong message? More specifically:

I really liked how the story didn't have to explain what happened to civilization. You can infer what happened by just seeing the world around them. I could have this wrong, but it seemed like society was building upwards to avoid the organic god type things that people worshiped which were trying to eat everything humans made and that's why humans left (or tried to leave) the planet. They left behind a huge collection of people's personal belongings, a ginormous library of books from all cultures, and robots to guard them (?) to cement their existence on Earth. It doesn't explain this, you just figure it out on your own. I would like something like that. A story with world-building that gives you little nuggets of lore and you slowly piece it together yourself.

Yohohama Kaidashi Kikou and everything else by it’s author so fits your request it’s almost perfect imo

emptyrave
May 13, 2022

Oh wow, thank you both!! I'm going to start Shimeji Simulation since it's from the same author but I'll come back to these recs afterwards. I realized my ask was pretty specific and I could've worded it better, but you were both really helpful.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Well, I fished Re:Zero on goon recommend and it was mediocre at best. And I still don’t understand the anime worlds obsession with Rem.

However, I thought, "there's no way all these nerds are just fetishizing the whole quiet/submissive girl but also Very Badass and worships an rear end of a self-insert MC". So I look for some "Why is Rem so popular" and it leads me to the Reddit anime page. And here are the results:

quote:

In many ways, she would be the ideal woman to have as a partner, she has good education, manners, physical condition, she is not malicious, although she is not very intelligent

quote:

She's genuinely cute and weird in a good way, basically a shut-in who doesn't care too much about anything besides the people close to her which in my opinion makes her feel like a real and believable person.

quote:

It’s mostly due to the fact that we all know from the start Rem hated Subaru but later on fell in love with him,the phycological factor is that people like it when a person who once hated them started to do a complete 180 on them because it’s basically a challenge to get to that point and they like that. Basically the jist of it is that people like characters more that once hated them over characters that already liked them from the start. I think the theory is called the gain/loss theory but I might be wrong on that.

thanks a lot goons, this is all your fault :cripes:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean that's reddit so...

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Going to Reddit is your own drat fault. Moron.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
why are you lumping in that second comment with the other two, they're not making any kind of reductive comment about her being waifu material, they're saying the character felt believable to them. genuinely that person is giving a normal description of why they liked how the character was written that's making some attempt to express how they come off as a person in the text, not backhandedly insulting her intelligence or describing her as a... relationship challenge

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

Well, I fished Re:Zero on goon recommend and it was mediocre at best. And I still don’t understand the anime worlds obsession with Rem.

However, I thought, "there's no way all these nerds are just fetishizing the whole quiet/submissive girl but also Very Badass and worships an rear end of a self-insert MC". So I look for some "Why is Rem so popular" and it leads me to the Reddit anime page. And here are the results:

thanks a lot goons, this is all your fault :cripes:
Rezeros really popular with women and rems a very popular character, why are you defaulting to only weird dudes liking the character because you saw some reddit posts

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Feel free to go to the made in abyss subreddit and see the normal posts there tho

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Swerving away from...whatever that is, I want to recommend something. A series that got an anime that was fine, but by most fans of the series' accounts, did not do justice to the property. The Faraway Paladin. One of my favorite series, and one of the best isekai series around, it truly uses the reincarnation idea well; rarely relying on it, but rather using it to improve the person who was given a second chance at life after dying depressed and hopeless. Despite only having about 40 chapters out, it still feels even at the current point like a far longer adventure than that. The way the series deals with religion in a world where gods are real and create visible change in the world from their faiths, the way it deals with tragedy and loss, with how magic works, it's all just fantastic. The art is also quite good throughout most of it, especially in the later chapters. It's genuinely funny when it wants to be, it never makes the stakes seem trivial, and the world feels vibrant with every place he visits. I highly recommend it, it's wonderful.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

if you go looking online you can find lots of weirdos who got a crush on [female character] from [popular anime] and have found truly incredible ways of articulating why. it's anime so it's pretty hard to escape that, especially in a young male demographic targeting show with a heavy romance focus.

if you really want to dig into it i think rem is popular because she has a memorable design, is pretty impressive in several action scenes, and gives the main character unconditional love and support in a way that is substantiated by her personal trauma and previous experiences with him. an entire episode is dedicated to a single conversation between her and subaru and she's an active love interest during a time when emelia is absent from the story, who was a largely passive love interest in the previous arcs. it'd be kinda weird if the fanbase at large didn't put a large focus on how they feel about her given the amount of time dedicated to her, and well it's anime fans so

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I think there's also some cool stuff at play around how we perceive Subaru and how the world he lives in must perceive him.

To us he's this guy who hosed up and died like four times but to Rem he's someone who showed up, completely defied her expectations and came through for her in one of the most terrible situations in her life.

So I think her being crazy about him is both logical and just genuinely a really interesting part of the premise of Re:Zero.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

bit off topic from why online nerds are gross about rem but yeah the way subaru knows everyone 4x longer (or more) than they've known him is a pretty interesting element of the show. somewhat tying back into said gross nerds back when the SA thread was discussing rem vs emelia and why subaru would choose emelia, i always thought the obvious answer was that while subaru's interactions with emelia are almost exclusively positive (big * there lol) he has an early memory of rem beating him to death with a chain. i somewhat wish that that kind of stuff had more direct lines drawn in story, though there's definitely plenty of angst over subaru's general experience of constantly "living" through horrifyingly traumatic events that no one else knows about and he can't talk to anyone about.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

that was one of my issues with it actually was the show never really gave the impression that anyone's known subaru for longer than like a week for all of season 1 so the big rem scene feels blown out of proportion for how soon it happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it's a big part of why emelia is really hesitant to accept subaru's affection as genuine and generally just doesn't understand him or his motivations very well

rem specifically is a special case where her life and the value she places on it was recently redefined by subaru's actions so she has some recently formed extreme feelings about him to express during that big moment (iirc she said something along the lines of "i already had no reason to live, how dare you take away my reason to die" when subaru is captured by the cultists in the loop prior to their big moment). he literally convinced her that her life has value independent of her failure to be the person her sister could've been, so personally i can accept that her feelings for him developed very quickly. apparently the LN makes it more clear that her devotion to subaru is an unhealthy response to what happened and i wish there was more of that in the show.

i thiiiiiiink the other characters generally react appropriately? idk subaru is weirdly buddy buddy with like, reinhardt and old man rom for them only having one or two interactions with him. i'd definitely give those more minor moments to you on that, i'd say we can presume they hung out off screen at some point but i really can't place where such a thing would've happened when subaru wakes up already in the mansion after getting chopped up by the assassin woman in the first arc.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 19, 2023