Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Shooting Blanks posted:

Thanks! Just burned a bunch of WCs on it, but half of the rares were for lands - which I'll always use anyway. Been a long time since I've played combo, so I need to get used to that, but looking forward to it!

No problem, just don’t get discouraged if you have a losing streak. I lose 4 games in a row as often as I win 7 games in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

ex post facho posted:

Conduit of Worlds is uhhhh insanely strong in limited

i picked it as an "its in my colour i guess?" pick in my last draft and it absolutely saved my rear end against an opponent who drafted vraska + 2 of indoctrination attendant (the guy who bounces a permanent you control to create a mite) when i realised i could just sac the treasures he turned my big guys into and then re-cast them from the graveyard

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Got to love the Arena experience of red being open in every draft but then all your opponents are playing red as well

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Pseudoscorpion posted:

If I don't trophy with this absolutely nauseating deck, I'm going to go mad.

4-3 haha gently caress this format

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Those are rookie numbers, gotta pump those numbers up: https://imgur.com/a/WEWF7wn

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Mike N Eich posted:

Opened The Wanderer in my first two drafts so I did everything I could to force white (and I think I made at least one good W/G deck when I was passed three copies of the signpost uncommon). Either I'm terrible (and I am) or this format is blisteringly fast because I was barely able to get her on the board in 12 games (went 3-3, 3-3)

This is a format where you need to get on the board by turn 2, and it is very fast. 6 drops of any kind are rough unless you've built your deck to be super defensive.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

blightbelly rat into tyvar seems like a solid little synergy

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
I don't know anything about historical singleton, so I made this D&D deck out of my random binders cause it seemed fun, was fun:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

the next draw was another land. running 16 even. Managed to run it back since this was BO3 but jesus.

edit: Phyrexian Vindicator is certainly a card.

Somberbrero fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 9, 2023

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

Well I guess I can't feel too bad losing to this person.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Did the thing after 4 other middling results. 7-1, 5 games on the draw.

iirc it was all poison kills. The poison from the overrun actually finished 2 or 3 games.

Lost to a burn spell to the face.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

wei posted:

Magmatic Sprinter is really clunky because RG wants to curve out and stay on the board without having to reinvest mana each turn. Normally I'd cut them but you're really low on creatures. I'd cut Hazardous Blast and a Crescendo to get more creatures in there, probably Chimney Rabble and Sporesinger? I like Blast but you already have 2x of that effect in the Cinderslash Ravagers.

Only had a brief look at the draft but there's a lot I would have done differently, though we do end up in the same colours. The picks that stand out to me are the the weaker cards over Cankerblooms early pack 1, but there are a lot of other picks where you're picking the worse card.

6-3, this advice seemed right lol, Magma Sprinter was extremely awkward, i thought the whole "put oil counters on other things" would be worth it but it just meant i kept aether channeling myself. The RG gold was really good though. The two bad beats i had were to blue decks, one had the mind control and one was UW skies and all i had was undersized removal and the dragon which came too late

After two events I am 8-6 (57.16%)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Draft #3 (6 drafts left)

https://www.17lands.com/draft/caab8f620a8744b282da88f634c38525
(i changed -1 swamp +1 forest since i took this screenshot)

I almost considered dumping all my red for Phyrexian Obliterator but that would have been stupid in hindsight lol, especially since I got two Cinderslash Ravagers in pack 3.... now what do I cut? Cackler and Mantis, maybe? It seems i want as many low oil creatures as possible to get Troll and Ravager online... The basilisks aren't oil but i need to gum things up I think? Maybe some of the tricks... Wei seemed to value cankerblooms so I picked one up. I am also guessing Glissa is worth the splash? One terramorphic and one prism, plus Vorrac to dig for lands... seems enough? Mover and Atlas seem way too slow. What if I cut the cackler and striders for consistency?

Edit: the data is still pretty raw i guess but lattice-blade mantis seems to perform. strider is also pretty high. Maybe I cut the Stewards and keep the striders. Maybe I'm overvaluing unnatural restoration because I'm thinking of upside with bombs and i should just have more creatures. Paladin has felt like a beating when i've seen it on the other side but it also has bad stats... the trolls and ravagers seem like enough topend maybe

Second pass:

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Feb 9, 2023

wei
Jul 27, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Draft #3 (6 drafts left)

https://www.17lands.com/draft/caab8f620a8744b282da88f634c38525
(i changed -1 swamp +1 forest since i took this screenshot)

I almost considered dumping all my red for Phyrexian Obliterator but that would have been stupid in hindsight lol, especially since I got two Cinderslash Ravagers in pack 3.... now what do I cut? Cackler and Mantis, maybe? It seems i want as many low oil creatures as possible to get Troll and Ravager online... The basilisks aren't oil but i need to gum things up I think? Maybe some of the tricks... Wei seemed to value cankerblooms so I picked one up. I am also guessing Glissa is worth the splash? One terramorphic and one prism, plus Vorrac to dig for lands... seems enough? Mover and Atlas seem way too slow. What if I cut the cackler and striders for consistency?

Edit: the data is still pretty raw i guess but lattice-blade mantis seems to perform. strider is also pretty high. Maybe I cut the Stewards and keep the striders. Maybe I'm overvaluing unnatural restoration because I'm thinking of upside with bombs and i should just have more creatures. Paladin has felt like a beating when i've seen it on the other side but it also has bad stats... the trolls and ravagers seem like enough topend maybe

Second pass:

I think it's not correct to splash a 3 in a beatdown deck in a fast format, but you didn't pick the rare to not play it. Your colour requirements are light enough it shouldn't hurt too much. Unsure about this but I think Dune Mover (over Prism) as bad as it is at least adds to your board and does the same job. You'll be fine with 1 Swamp, 10th green land source will be nice.

The other cuts are top end since you're a little overloaded there, Paladin and idk which of Strider or Troll next. I'm still figuring out which one is better, it's a question that comes up fairly often for me because RG gets all the 5s for free in the draft. Edit: cut Restoration also

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Two drafts to report on, busy evening :patriot:

Quick Draft MID

https://www.17lands.com/draft/08ad858aab164acc9c7d407e72b13996

I want more cards from the set and I like a chill QD once in a while. I did this while waiting for other goons to show up so we could draft ONE together, they did, so I didn't actually play this yet. Deck:

I've already decided to replace the Unruly Mob with a Siege Zombie from the sideboard.

Haven't done much with MID yet, but it's still very obvious to me that in a Premier, I would never ever get three Awakeners, probably also not two Veterans. I'll take it and see where this goes! If anybody has some build advice, happy to hear.

Premier Draft ONE

https://www.17lands.com/draft/7ced268be7554ee3976647d1c9b3bf70

This was a struggle of a first pack, with a lot of mediocre cards early on. I stuck to my guns with Oil synergies tho and ended up with this:

Which, I think, is rather sleek, pun intended.

Sideboard:

I think my decision to not play the 5-drop is correct, I really want to keep my max cost at 3 so the 15 lands won't hurt me - this deck gets stuck at 3 lands often and that's fine.

Experiences:
- Charforger is actually excellent. The Skullbomb on it immediately gets it to 3, drawing me 2 cards thus, and I can play absolutely everything in the deck if I already have 3 mana (okay, except for the Testament Bearer). It just keeps drawing cards! Then I flood the board and win
- Reservoir is phenomenal here, exactly how I imagined it being. People have been discussing its merits, I give it a glowing endorsement: I can keep putting counters on the Charforgers, or I can spread them out to make Golem into an actual Anthem/make the trampler huge. The goblin making won me a game because I could do sick sequences like Skullbomb->Charforger, draw a 3-drop, play that, make a goblin, attack with the Centurion, sac to put another oil on the forger, untap, Reservoir oils up, I sac in combat again, charforger + goblin again
- Speaking of Centurion, absolutely excellent in this deck, and I've already caught one person that didn't realize I could just sac my mopey Batterfist to it (hell, I didn't realize until a fellow goon pointed it out, who also realized that in that moment)

It's 3-1 so far, and a beautifully synergistic blast to play. Love the format already!

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Drafted a nice looking gruul beats deck but ended in a swift 0-3 due to stumbling on mana and a couple play mistakes. Absolutely brutal. :(

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Zero VGS posted:

But Chromium has such incredible synergy with Gnawbone Treasures + Faithless Looting that I'd prioritize crafting another 2.

Ah see, just like I said, a minute ago the opponent thought they had lethal on me, and I got to go "Surprise, Motherfucker", and flash in Chromium with Gnawbone tokens:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Judge! If a creature with unearth whose unearth ability has been activated is returned to hand, does it trigger the exile effect or not?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Judge! If a creature with unearth whose unearth ability has been activated is returned to hand, does it trigger the exile effect or not?

Part of the rules for Unearth are "if it would leave the battlefield, exile it instead of putting it anywhere else". So yes, if you try to bounce it to your hand it ends up exiled instead.

The only trick you can do is using a flicker effect (the exile from the flicker effect doesn't get replaced, because it's already going to exile - and then when it comes back it forgets that it was originally unearthed).

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Poison seems really strong but that’s just from my experience with playing 3 sealed pools so far and getting two trophies with white.

How was the early discourse shaken out so far? Any standout colors/archetypes?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Jabor posted:

Part of the rules for Unearth are "if it would leave the battlefield, exile it instead of putting it anywhere else". So yes, if you try to bounce it to your hand it ends up exiled instead.

The only trick you can do is using a flicker effect (the exile from the flicker effect doesn't get replaced, because it's already going to exile - and then when it comes back it forgets that it was originally unearthed).

drat, time to go back to the board for new Kaito exploits, then.

I dunno. All I got is Circuit Mender to really stretch its value, or looping Network Disruptors to keep attacking lanes open.

I also briefly entertained Thousand-Faced Shadow to keep generating tokens, but that leaves me at a net negative in boars presemce.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Feb 9, 2023

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Problems that are nice to have - I see several good, synergistic decks here.

https://sealeddeck.tech/PtnDgaNyE0

Obviously very good rare luck, with Rotpriest, Bloated Contaminator and enough toxic support to pull me into green. Black has some solid cards but is otherwise too thin to consider. 2 Thrummingbirds and basically every other card that says "proliferate" give me an easy Simic infect deck. The rares and two duelists pull me into white, but I don't like losing my only reasonably priced removal spell in blue, and I'm a little thinner. I'd have to play a card or two that doesn't contribute to the plan.

The third answer is a RW artifact beatdown deck that also sorta builds itself. The siren's call of the alternate win condition pushes me away from that, but it looks like a solid deck.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Feb 9, 2023

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Zero VGS posted:

The 4 Copperline Gorge are absolutely worth it; the deck gets exponentially more consistent with those + Stomping Grounds + Karpulsan Forest and Gorge is arguably better than the other two because a lot of people play that Izzet Symmetry Sage deck that can put you at 1 or 2 life in a couple turns.

Drakuseth, Maw of Flames I assume you just already had a few laying around. They are suboptimal because a) they don't trigger their ability the turn you cheat them in, b) they need rares when better dragons use Mythics which I'd wager most people have more wildcards for, and c) Chromium or Ancient Gold/Silver Dragon are godlike in comparison. But Chromium has such incredible synergy with Gnawbone Treasures + Faithless Looting that I'd prioritize crafting another 2.

Mostly because I had them around, yeah.

I've very, very rarely found Chromium to do much work for me - but then I don't actually play it anywhere near as much as you do!

--

5/3 with yesterday's deck wish I hadn't buggered up that one match, I might have hit the trophy. Still very pleased.

And the Wanderer synergises VERY nicely with PLanar Disruption, being able to force-sac all their active creatures and leave the Pacifismed one is very good and won me two games this afternoon.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

yikes

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Do you have enough fixing and playables to make a jund-ish pile work?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Also how many rats do you have

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Tried a jund-ish build but it just didn't get there, there was no fixing beyond those duals and a single myr convert. The rat guy ended up just being a 3/3 toxic for 3 but so far this build has been managing to get more wins than I expected. Low to the ground and gets under my opponents bomb rares, and I actually managed to kill someone with poison counters!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

There's very little fixing in this set outside rare tbh.

Scrapgorger, Expanse, Prism, Atlas... that's really about it? Are there any others?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

There's very little fixing in this set outside rare tbh.

Scrapgorger, Expanse, Prism, Atlas... that's really about it? Are there any others?

Dune Mover, Thirsting Roots.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Also the uncommon hunt-2-lands-or-proliferate one, which is kinda bad and way too slow, and potentially vorrac. But without common duals it's always gonna be tough.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

So far, every Bo3 draft has been

Round 1: opponent does nothing, gets completely bodied.

Round 2: cracked out version of my deck. Multiple on color rares, bombs, gets to go first game 1, the works. I have no chance.

Round 3: 3 planeswalkers, atraxa

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I actually made use of both modes on molten rebuke to win a game. Did 5 damage to the golgari 1/5 guy and blew up the equipment that would have kept it alive. Swung for lethal.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Anyone got any good advice on this one?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Don't think you're getting there on the poison plan, so look there to start. Curiosity and shepherd out at the least.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ben Nevis posted:

Anyone got any good advice on this one?

Take out Glistener Seer, Thrumming Bird, Meldweb Strider, Distorted Curiousity

Seer: Just not very good, not an artifact, you don't care about oil permanents.
Bird: Does nothing meaningful here
Meldweb Strider: it's an artifact and a 5/5 once. You can do better.
Distorted Curiousity: Divination without any way to get to corrupted

Alternatively you could keep curiousity as a divination and get rid of spelldancer. 2/1 can't be blocked with no other text is ok but not great. Very rarely you might to double a spell but you have very few

resistentialism posted:

Don't think you're getting there on the poison plan, so look there to start. Curiosity and shepherd out at the least.

Shepard at least makes 2 artifacts though, which could possibly trigger Malcator with another cheap artifact

e; Idk how I missed eternal wanderer so + bird back in and get rid of spelldancer.

Kashuno fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 9, 2023

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Do the spellbombs and equipment count as targeting for the rotpriest trigger? If not then I can cut the green one and maybe venomous nurse idk

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

elbkaida posted:

Do the spellbombs and equipment count as targeting for the rotpriest trigger? If not then I can cut the green one and maybe venomous nurse idk

No, those are Abilities, not Spells.

(AFAIK) only Instants and Sorceries can trigger 'targetted by a spell' effects.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

auras too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
and creatures with mutate!