Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So this was an adorable discovery - when you set Alear's birthday, everyone in the home base has special dialogue for it. And that dialogue changes for every single character if you s-rank them. Some s-ranks that were ambiguously romantic drop the ambiguity at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I like Azura entirely based on A) hearing her support attack voice line a whole bunch and B) her 60% strength growth as a dancer. I understand that Camilla is probably more memorable than her but I also never want to see Camilla again, so.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Miftan posted:

Would Jean be good even as a martial master? I'd really like someone to be able to Fist All Day but I'm not sure it's viable at all on maddening.

He's good as a martial master if you just want a support piece, but no, he won't really be killing anything on maddening.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I really don't think that walking into maddening planning on not using anybody from Lythos/Firene/Brodia is the right call. The right call, instead, I think, is to pick a few favorites and shower them in resoureces--stat boosters, early master seals, forges, etc, and let them get more than their fair share of experience. If you try to divide the xp evenly then you get the experience a lot of people have had where midgame prepromotes just blow them out of the water, but if you go in know that you can't really use all of Firene, then it's very easy to keep 2-4 of them on curve.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Harrow posted:

The main benefits I can see for General over Great Knight is that Great Knight loses break immunity and gains an extra weakness (armored and mounted weaknesses, while General just has armored weakness). In return Great Knights get +2 Move and a second weapon type. For me, that +2 Move was enough, and it was never really that big of a deal if Louis got broken on enemy phase since I wasn't relying on him to kill everything he fought.

RME posted:

I think movement is still a really good stat actually it’s just more equally distributed by crunching it down. Nothing like warp and rewarp really gets worse by also having good movement on top of them

Notty posted:

Tbh given how horny the AI is for chasing breaks, to the point they’ll go for them over damage or even kills, I don’t know if being unbreakable is even that much of a clear advantage, lol

I made Jade a General and gave her Boots so she has 5 mov and she is extremely good. General also gets higher def than Great Knight which helps. She has higher defense than Great Knight Louis at this point and he’s a higher level.

Also the way she pounds her shield on the ground after killing a dude rules.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cythereal posted:

So this was an adorable discovery - when you set Alear's birthday, everyone in the home base has special dialogue for it. And that dialogue changes for every single character if you s-rank them. Some s-ranks that were ambiguously romantic drop the ambiguity at this point.

This is true of the wake up dialogues as well. It's been pointed out how the more ambiguously romantic S-rank conversations or ending slides just drop all their ambiguity in some side dialogue like that.

cheetah7071 posted:

I really don't think that walking into maddening planning on not using anybody from Lythos/Firene/Brodia is the right call. The right call, instead, I think, is to pick a few favorites and shower them in resoureces--stat boosters, early master seals, forges, etc, and let them get more than their fair share of experience. If you try to divide the xp evenly then you get the experience a lot of people have had where midgame prepromotes just blow them out of the water, but if you go in know that you can't really use all of Firene, then it's very easy to keep 2-4 of them on curve.

Yeah, this is what I figured I'd do. I figured if I planned ahead of time who I wanted to use, now that I've played the game once and generally know who I like or who I wished I'd used the first time around, I could make sure they're able to keep up by the time the midgame units start to join.

This is probably why I kept using Chloé throughout my first run. I gave her a couple early stat boosters to help her combat and made her one of my first promotions (the flying staff access was an easy sell) and that was all she needed to get over the midgame hump and become a great unit for the whole playthrough.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 9, 2023

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Also I think the money problem isn't a problem at least on my current playthrough, I still have over 20k in gold despite tonics and I have nothing really to buy outside of an occasional resupply of Obstruct and Healing. I don't have DLC, and I donated to level 2 to each nation.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

cheetah7071 posted:

I think this is probably the right call, with the caveat that I've not really done maddening past chapter 19 or so. I'm planning on keeping Chloe, Louis, Yunaka, Diamant, and Anna.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Tae posted:

Also I think the money problem isn't a problem at least on my current playthrough, I still have over 20k in gold despite tonics and I have nothing really to buy outside of an occasional resupply of Obstruct and Healing. I don't have DLC, and I donated to level 2 to each nation.

Most of the money problem is from donating to the regions. The game hands you tens of thousands of gold at a time and your only equipment loss is in staves and seals. If you only buy stuff you're actually using it's pretty overkill. It doesn't help the math that, on Maddening at least, forges/Inscription are so necessary for damage on the bulk of your weapons that actually getting them is nowhere near the limiting factor. It's more how many inscriptions you can use or how much ore you have that hold back your gear.

Morphogenic96
Oct 30, 2013

I wonder what the class balance would be like if the S rank weapons were better in both stats and availability. It feels like in general, the weaker classes have an S rank or can achieve one.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Harrow posted:

This is true of the wake up dialogues as well. It's been pointed out how the more ambiguously romantic S-rank conversations or ending slides just drop all their ambiguity in some side dialogue like that.

So what date is the s-rank thing so I can make sure to get this in future runs?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Morphogenic96 posted:

I wonder what the class balance would be like if the S rank weapons were better in both stats and availability. It feels like in general, the weaker classes have an S rank or can achieve one.

The only class rank that matters IMO is A rank because that enables brave weapons (the one weakness to Warrior is that they can't use brave bow)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cythereal posted:

So what date is the s-rank thing so I can make sure to get this in future runs?

I don't think there's a particular date. You get the ability to s-rank someone from a paralogue that unlocks after Chapter 22

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

cheetah7071 posted:

This is another thing that makes me feel like I am playing a different game. My XP is even more balance/watered down than most, and of the post Firene characters, the only ones that immediately stood out as excellent were Merrin and (especially) Goldmary. Lots of these characters have become excellent, or seem like they could, but this apparent consensus of "the late game recruits are so much better" seems false.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You grind and keep everyone at the same level, you are playing a different game than most of us

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Veryslightlymad posted:

This is another thing that makes me feel like I am playing a different game. My XP is even more balance/watered down than most, and of the post Firene characters, the only ones that immediately stood out as excellent were Merrin and (especially) Goldmary. Lots of these characters have become excellent, or seem like they could, but this apparent consensus of "the late game recruits are so much better" seems false.

I think part of that comes down to what cheetah's talking about. If you're spreading EXP relatively evenly and not doing skirmishes, the midgame prepromotes are going to join at a higher level and with higher overall stats than your current units when you get them. If your units are roughly equivalent in level and have gotten a bit of investment--which is probably only going to be a few units if you're not doing lots of skirmishes--they'll also still be keeping up.

It's only a temporary situation, too. If you keep using your early game units instead of replacing them with the prepromotes, they'll do just fine in the long run, it's just that it's hard to turn down an immediate spike in power that doesn't come with any long-term costs (since characters like Kagetsu also have excellent growths).

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I'm not sure what combination of grinding and exp distribution would not showcase Kagetsu as completely busted relative to everything else in his join time.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Also the main thing is that the later game units just show up at a higher level, so have higher stats. The only ones that I think are straight up Busted are Kagetsu and Panette. Everyone else is roughly on par, maybe slightly better, than earlier units if they were the same level. But they're not.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Camilla's paralogue sucks rear end

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Ivy's crew is a special case, they're going to be your strongest three units when they join almost no matter what, since they're intended to give you something to rely on during a potentially difficult portion of the game

In the long run they're fairly normal units though

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Fogado's initial class is bad, a lot of characters massively get better in different class into warrior. Kagetsu, busted as he is, can only get better if you get him into wyvern or warrior that fixes his str.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Terper posted:

You grind and keep everyone at the same level, you are playing a different game than most of us

I'll cop to the level thing, but I don't know if you can say that I am grinding. I haven't touched skirmishes in a very long time. They're far too terrifying.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

I think the Cavalry unit type could've used some help. It really feels like the only one that doesn't really pull its weight--Flying just outdoes it in every way, and if you're going to have a unit be grounded, you'd probably rather them have one of the infantry unit types that offers actual bonuses. The only mounted class I actually used much was Great Knight, though I think Wolf Knight is also good (largely on the strength of daggers).

If they ever do unit types again (and I really, really hope they do, it's an excellent system), maybe Cavalry could just have inherent 2-tile Canter instead of Canter being a learnable skill. If there's no Canter for infantry or flying units and it's inherent to cavalry I think that would give cavalry a good extra bit of movement flexibility and make being on a horse more valuable.

I think it would be fine if Canter was innate to cavalry and an inheritable skill, because skill slots are so limited there’s a real opportunity cost there that cavalry wouldn’t have to make. That said, I think cavalry still has uses in this game, it’s just it only comes with certain unit type engage effects.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I kept using Yunaka instead of Zelkov just because I liked her a lot

I'll probably keep doing that on future playthroughs too, Yunaka rules. I also want to use Zelkov next time so I'll just reclass one of them so they're not both thieves. I bet Zelkov would make a good Wolf Knight.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Pandreo is a unit no one talks about, but he is REALLY good with high bases, a good passive, and 50 mag/spd growth.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Panette became an unstoppable God machine and is my favorite

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Pandreo and Amber are thr top of my list of units I haven't touched and want to use on my third run after the DLC finishes

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Tae posted:

Pandreo is a unit no one talks about, but he is REALLY good with high bases, a good passive, and 50 mag/spd growth.

He's started appearing in the rotation, and agreed. He's excellent.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Draxion posted:

There was one level where there were enemy Fracture wielders, who moved dead last every turn, who still spammed them on everyone in range even though it would never do anything at all

And because of that and having other tools (like just killing them first attack or using the weapon triangle) I thought Fracture was pretty useless. Then I had to kill a few dragons, and was REALLY happy I'd not bothered to take it off Hortensia. Good accidental tutorial, those things are staying in my toolkit.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Tae posted:

Pandreo’s awesome yeah, he and Panette are mainstays on my squad. They’re cool character- and unit-wise.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Fracture is busted, but the enemies are morons. I don't think I have ever seen an enemy use it before attacking. Just bust into a helpless unit with a smash weapon and go to town.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
how is every bond conversation with soren the best conversation

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Panette became an unstoppable God machine and is my favorite

Panette was MVP on like 8 or 9 maps on my endgame battle stats scroll, she's absolutely incredible.

The best part is when I went to look at her average stats and found that mine wasn't even that much better than average, she's just always that good

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Cavalry definitely does not need innate Canter, that would be absurdly good. Cavalry is fine. +1 movement is great and while flying is better in many situations, being on the ground is still useful at times.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

Cavalry definitely does not need innate Canter, that would be absurdly good. Cavalry is fine. +1 movement is great and while flying is better in many situations, being on the ground is still useful at times.

But if I'm on the ground, I would rather be a back-up or Covert type because the move difference isn't that big, and one is contributing anywhere from 4 to 20 damage a player phase with the right setup per character.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

The new recreational activities basically solve the problem with support gain completely, you can get someone even from B to A in like two outings.

I like this cast a lot and benching is inevitable but it’s cool you can at least see any supports you want now.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Tae posted:

But if I'm on the ground, I would rather be a back-up or Covert type because the move difference isn't that big, and one is contributing anywhere from 4 to 20 damage a player phase with the right setup per character.

And the other gives an insane amount of avoid.

All (both?) of my boots are just lying around in a pile with the vast majority of my other stat ups. I just don't notice high movement in this game, outside the truly busted stuff like Sigurd.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I seem to have entered the Meat Party segment of support conversations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm curious about Thief vs. Wolf Knight for dagger users, specifically on Maddening.

On Hard I kept Yunaka in Thief because it made it so easy for her to reach the point where enemies had 0% chance to hit her and she could just sit on avoid terrain and safely bait as many units as she wanted. But I know on Maddening, units will ignore anyone they have 0% chance to hit. Maybe Wolf Knight's better there, where you can still be really evasive but can use avoid terrain without being literally untouchable? The second weapon type might be a nice bonus, too.

Though Thief getting Pass might still put it over the top.

Anyone have experience with the two classes on maddening?

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

lol the thread title